Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

error message" not enough memory to perform this command

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
djtommyv 9:34 AM - 4 March, 2013
hey guys,

i too am having the sme issues as Kegan.peffer@gmail.com !! serato dj crashes upon startup. whether the ddj-sx is connected or not. at first, i was getting the error message: " not enough memory to perform this command". i tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times. i followed the manual and installed the driver first, then the software. still nothing. i was getting the same error code about missing driver as well. when i tried to update it would say "sx not connected". i have 2 dell xps laptops with I5 processors, one with 8gb of ram and the other with 6gb. i tried installing on both laptops but was not successful. now when i try starting up serato dj i get " serato dj has stopped working" and just shuts down automatically. this tells me that its clearly a software or firmware/driver issue. and not the laptops.
djtommyv 9:43 AM - 4 March, 2013
i'd like to add that i organize my musice on both itunes playlists and serato crates from folders on my desktop. i have about 160gb in itunes and another 40 or so gb on my desktop. i still have over 250gb free space available on my hard drive. so the "not enough memory" puzzles me, since i never have an issue when i use scratch live with my rane68 and my cdj's.

please help !
Serato, Support
Jamie W 12:19 AM - 11 March, 2013
Hey Djtommyv,

Thanks for getting in touch,

Have you ever had your DDJ-SX working with SERATO DJ?
Or do you always get the message "hardware disconnected" when you launch the software?

Can you try the following for me please.

1. Navigate to your "_SERATO_" folder located on your internal hard drive.
2. Rename this folder "_SERATO_old"
3. Relaunch SERATO DJ with your controller connected.

You will notice your library is empty (this is normal while we troubleshoot)

Does SERATO DJ still crash? Or has your controller now connected with the software?

Let me know how you get on please.
1:00 AM, 25 Mar 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
djtommyv 8:56 PM - 13 August, 2013
ok, so when we left off, I tried all of the above. the serato_old folder worked. but I no longer have any crates. I guess I have to make new ones? and also, whats the deal with iTunes? even if I check "read iTunes library" it still doesn't pop up and DJ crashes.
djtommyv 8:57 PM - 13 August, 2013
this is what I posted the other day and was advised to start my own thread:

djtommyv 5:04 PM - 9 August, 2013
i too am having this issue. I also tried following the same steps. it works sometimes. If I rename the serato folder to "old" then serato dj only reads the iTunes library sometimes. other times it crashes. also, sometimes when I have no crates and only try to use iTunes (i.e. read iTunes library). it doesn't read it at all and crashes. DELL XPS i5 8g ram, about 200gb free of 500gb internal, no external. before I start my own thread ( which I have in the past). I want to know why my laptop works fine on regular serato hooked up to my rane 68. also, when I used the older ddj with ITCH it also works. DJ is a newer software design and should outperform the others. I've spent hours reading all of these threads and you mean to tell me that your only solution is to reduce my library??? I have a brand new ddj-sx with road case and its about to go on ebay !! is there a solution in the near future?
thanasis458@aol.com
Tommy
Serato, Support
Jamie W 11:45 PM - 13 August, 2013
Hey Tommyv,

Thanks for that information,

1. Do you use iTunes to organise / save your music?
-- Does iTunes place new music files into its iTunes Media Folder?
-- If it does this creates long folder paths to individual files, which requires Serato to remember a lot of information about where files are located, this increases the memory that Serato uses and lowers the size of the library your computer can handle.
-- Having simple folder paths to files not only improves Serato's performance but it improves overall computer performance ALOT!.

2. How big is your music library? (How many files / How many Gigs?)

To answer your question:
"Why does Scratch Live load my library fine, but Serato DJ does not?"

Serato DJ is packed with new features (iZotope Multi Effects etc). This requires a decent amount of CPU power and memory. (More then SSL/ITCH require).

I recommend you read through this article --> serato.com
It explains how Serato uses memory and ways you can improve it.

Please note: we are working extremely hard on library management and this will only improve overtime, but for now to run Serato DJ smoothly its best you reduce your library size.

djtommyv 6:52 AM - 22 August, 2013
hey, thanks for your help, but I just sold the unit. took a loss as a matter of fact. I've been a mobile and club dj for over 20 years and you ask me to reduce my library size. sorry, no can do ! i'll just look for alternatives. i'll check back from time to time to see if you've resolved this issue. furthermore, serato is working just fine with my rane 68, it worked just fine with my 57sl as well with all of its hardware addons. you guys should be less concerned with adding effects updates and work a little harder on library management. remember, a big portion of your market belongs to the windows based laptops. and without support, they, like me, will begin to look for alternatives.

thanks
Serato, Support
Jamie W 6:58 AM - 22 August, 2013
Hey DjTommyv,

Thanks for getting back to me,
I understand where you are coming from, if cutting down your library is not an option then we are out of luck for the time being.

We are working extremely hard on library management and this will only improve overtime I am really confident about that!

I will close this thread for now, but feel free to reopen it if you have any further questions :)

Thanks.