Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Running ME/Serato video and the bridge - is it stable?

Alixx J 2:33 PM - 23 February, 2013
I've tried this at home on my current MacBook (2009) and it works, but it's choppy on the screen and It doesn't look stable, or healthy for my laptop at all. I'm at a point now where I really want to use the bridge in my weekend sets, but they are 5 hour long sessions and I don't want any hiccups.

I was looking at the latest (top spec) retina and just wanted to know if this would comfortably be up to the job? Or will it be a gamble getting all three programmes to play nice for that amount of time in a club regardless of machine. I'd really like to hear from anyone running video and the bridge for extended times and how it works for you...

Cheers!
phatbob 5:54 PM - 23 February, 2013
Don't get a retina, get the regular 15" top spec pro whilst you still can.

The retina offers zero benefit, and just means the GPU is driving extra pixels.

Plus it's easy to upgrade the ram yourself, saving a fortune over apple prices, and you can add a 2nd HDD in the optical bay.
Alixx J 6:48 PM - 23 February, 2013
Some good points. I'm thinking that'll be the way as I've already ditched the external in favour of a 1TB optibay in this machine and it has worked great.

I guess flash memory will keep dropping in price and i can go for that later.

The retina has a 3.8Ghz max processor speed over the standard's 3.7Ghz, it looks like a minor speed difference but I'm no expert on how much improvement this would maybe make to running video and ableton?

I'm on a 2.66Ghz dual core atm, so I'm guessing either the top spec retina or standard pro, would breeze it?
phatbob 7:00 PM - 23 February, 2013
It's the GPU that you need to worry about, both CPUs should smack it.

The RMBP and the top-end regular MBP both have 1gb GPUs, but again the retina is always pushing extra pixels so ultimately the video performance should be higher with the regular.
Code:E 8:38 PM - 23 February, 2013
I do what you want to do. I run 3 CDj 2000's in HID mode, Akai MPD32, Akai APC40, IPAD via touch osc on an adhoc network. Serato, ME, Ableton (with the bridge) and syphon my video out to madmapper for use with a triplehead2go.

When running all of that I sometimes get 1/2 second delay when i load a video. but NEVER had a crash never needed to restart mid way though a set. I play 6 hours long sets.

I runa 17" macbook pro i7 2.2ghz 8gb ram, and a 6750m 1gb video card.

Like phatbob said its all in the video card power. Don't waste your money on a retina, you get the same video card and it has to work much harder to drive that hi res display. also for all the reasons he already said.

So make sure when you order a new mac you get the biggest video cards possible.
Niro 2:46 AM - 24 February, 2013
^^^Code:E what are you running your output for the triplehead2go? Also are you coming out VGA, DVI..etc.

Thanks
Dj Nyce 3:55 AM - 24 February, 2013
i have also ran ssl, ME, avenue and mad mapper/lpt at the same damn time on my late 2011 17" and it runs flawless. i just smcFanControl on high.

i use a triplehead2go dp edition with the dp to vga cables. i run the triplehead2go so that i can send 3 different outputs to different projectors or tvs. i send ME, avenue and madmapper/lpt out to separate screens.
Niro 4:04 AM - 24 February, 2013
What resolution are you guys outputting?
Dj Nyce 6:42 AM - 24 February, 2013
i do 800x600 typically. sometimes i'll scale it to hd with the dvs 304. just depends on what projector/screens i'm going to.
Alixx J 2:47 PM - 24 February, 2013
Cheers for the brilliant advice... Props to you Code:E for having the balls to run all of that at once! I think I need to man up and give it a go live, going to go for the non retina :)
Niro 10:31 PM - 24 February, 2013
Nyce - 800x600 per projector or total. I'm interested in getting a triplehead and was wondering how the images look and how taxing it is on the computer.
Code:E 10:56 PM - 24 February, 2013
Quote:
^^^Code:E what are you running your output for the triplehead2go? Also are you coming out VGA, DVI..etc.

Thanks

I have 3 dvi to vga adaptors connected to it. so VGA out on the triple head. And i run VGA into it.
Quote:
i do 800x600 typically.

Same sometimes 1 step above that. I did once 1280x768.

Quote:
800x600 per projector or total.

per projector.

its 2400x600 as far as your laptop is concerned.

Nyce I want to know more about how you are incorporation resolume. I very close to start doing that.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:45 AM - 25 February, 2013
You guys never cease to amaze me!! The way you guys push these machines is frickin awesome!! I'm so glad I got one and Grateful that y'all are willing to share your secrets with us.
WarpNote 10:33 AM - 25 February, 2013
Quote:
Nyce I want to know more about how you are incorporation resolume. I very close to start doing that.

+1
Yeah me to, been doing a lot of work in Resolume & MadMapper lately.
Dj Nyce 3:35 PM - 25 February, 2013
so right now i've been using resolume a few different ways. as a standalone for visuals where they would be sent to tv screens/projector or mad mapper via syphon.

if madmapper is in the mix, then it would be going to a projector for shooting some visuals against objects (columns, stairs, etc).

the second way that i have been using resolume is to send ME into madmapper to incorporate it's effects, have access to a larger media bank and to use custom overlays with ME. ME can only use text/qtz/image overlays. with resolume i can use video overlays. most of them being animated borders or animated logos or some other visuals (the ones that come with resolume are dope).

one of the things that i love about resolume is that i can save a project with as many clips as i want and recall them anytime. ME needs to have a bigger media bank and the ability to save/recall banks so you don't have to redo them for different venues.

also resolume supports syncing via midi clock. almost any parameter can be synced to this clock including playback. i use a virtual midi port to send clock to resolume. so in the end, resolume is synced with scratch live. too bad ssl or ME doesn't send midi clock directly.

another thing that can happen is that you can send midi from ableton to trigger clips (or control resolume). so for example you can write some midi notes in live, trigger the clip in the live and these midi notes can do stuff in resolume (like trigger clips).

on a side note, vpt does projection mapping just like madmapper. in some ways it's more powerful. and it's free. but that's another oprah.
Dj Nyce 3:45 PM - 25 February, 2013
and here's a tip for resolume, if you set your composition size width to 3x the normal resolution you can send 3 different sources to madmapper/vpt.

set comp size width to 1920x480.
set a layer to x position to -640 (left)
leave a layer at 0 (middle)
set a another layer to x position 640

*you can also set individual clips as well

now in mad mapper or vpt, you can use 3 different sources at 640x480
phatbob 3:58 PM - 25 February, 2013
I hate it when you do posts like that Nyce.

You always make me realise I'm really not trying hard enough.

Bastard.

;-)
skinnyguy 6:21 PM - 25 February, 2013
a workaround for having different media libraries for ME is to make crates in ssl. delete all current files in media library. select all in the ssl crate. drag to media library.

gotta admit, this is one thing sv has over me.
Code:E 6:21 PM - 25 February, 2013
Quote:
I hate it when you do posts like that Nyce.

You always make me realise I'm really not trying hard enough.

Bastard.

;-)

+1
Dj Nyce 7:20 PM - 25 February, 2013
Quote:
a workaround for having different media libraries for ME is to make crates in ssl. delete all current files in media library. select all in the ssl crate. drag to media library.

nice tip. didn't know i could drag/drop from ssl.

@phatbob, skinny, code thanks. i'm a big nerd so i'm always messing with things and trying to see how far i can go. that's why sometimes i may seem over critical of serato. i kind of want to give them a push to be better than what they are now.

the real props need to go to the guys/gals making amazing software like Serato, ME, Syphon, Resolume, Mad Mapper and VPT. these guys are geniuses.
Code:E 9:32 PM - 25 February, 2013
Nyce I need some help figuring this out.

ME has a limited Media bank. But i have 1000's of videos for content. I have Resolume Arena and Grand VJ. I had the idea to syhon my video for each deck out of ME into Grand VJ and Midi map my mixer to mix the video's using grand VJ. Why I would want todo this is the use of Grand VJ efx 8 layers of video and the ability to play more video clips in grand VJ over (or under) my videos. But I came to the concussion that all i really want is a way for better more beat reactive videos to play when i dont have a video for a track. Grand VJ has no way to auto advance to another clip so i would be forced to continuously tab over to it to select new clips. Resolume fixes that issues. Not only do you get amazing projector mapping in resolume but you also get banks that play like movies. and MIDI clock efx (which i also need your help figuring out).

I'm still learning resolume, I only just got it and have never played live with it yet. I haven't figured out how to save banks but i'm sure i can get that far. I was thinking of setting up long visuals rows with clips that auto advance to the next one. Rows that might be 5 min long plus. So 10-15 30second clips. Now thinking about that I guess i would make 20 or so rows and trigger which row i want playing via ipad (touch osc) any help on how i should go about doing that would be great. Now I do have a fair number of videos and would only want these visuals playing when i dont have a video, I also want todo all of the mixing in ME. So i was thinking syhon via quartz composer to the quartz overlay. But then the cool visuals would play over my music videos and I dont want that. I also want the resolume feed to load up like a file from the media bank. I dont want to have to turn it on every time. Everything I do with visuals i try to make as automatic as possibleI have ever having to worry about the video well I'm DJ. I Want all of my attention on the music, crowd dance floor and my mixes and not what the screes are playing. So i just came up with the idea to load the syhon input file into the ME media bank. I would put the same copy in every slot. So anytime a media bank file loaded it would load the input from Resolume. Would that work? If so could that idea not also work for Serato Video?

So to work this all out again. I would DJ with ME and serato . Music videos would play like normal. When a track is loaded without any video ME is set to load from the media bank, every media bank file is a syphon input from Resolume. Resolume plays visuals sequences I have setup in advance. I would change which sequence is played via Midi button on my iPad.

Now you where talking about MIDI clock and EFX. I love the midi clocked efx in resolume. Hell all of the efx. In grand VJ i play so many clips in a night, But with resolume it looks like i would use the same clips for almost an entire song but changing it with the efx it increase the use out of each clip. How are you getting MIDI clock (i assume that is BPM info) into resolume? I have had an idea for along time to sync lighting with a DJ via MIDI clock. My understanding is all Pioneer MIDI mixers send out MIDI clock. I DJ with a DJM2000 (sometimes a DJM900) is there a way for the auto BPM calculator built into the EFX units on those mixes to send MIDI clock info that resolume can read to sync its EFX with?

How are
Quote:
i use a virtual midi port to send clock to resolume.

What is that? I don't understand. Are you setting the bpm it is sending manually? If so that could work for me if i could change the BPM via midi slider on Touch OSC
Code:E 9:40 PM - 25 February, 2013
Oh ya one other thing Nyce, Phatbob, Skinny Guy and anyone else.

Anyone started using Flash Comps? I'm Really starting to like them. With all the efx options Resolume gives you, one clip can be used extensively. Also since they are vetor based when you stretch and screw them you don't loose quality. There small file size leads me to believe they would be less taxing on your system compared to some HD beeple clip (I could be wrong, please correct me if this assumption is wrong). Plus i have 100's of these things (flash comps). My other buddy who does visuals is using lots of them because of the vector aspect. He does visuals for corporate gigs and the lines they create are much nicer when they are mapping massive stages.

Quote:

I was thinking of doing this. Making a Media create and tons of sub creates with 12 visuals clips in them each. but is there a way in to set ME to not loops the short 30 second visuals? I would want it to play each of the 12 (in any order) then maybe play them again. I would load in new ones every 10 min or so. Also I try not fuck with anything MIDI or loading or saving things in ME well playing live I find it crashes too often when do that. Would contiguously loading 12 new clips into ME be stable?
skinnyguy 3:05 AM - 26 February, 2013
I would think it to be safe and stable as long as a clip isn't currently being used...but it's probably stable if its being used anyways.
Dj Nyce 5:26 PM - 26 February, 2013
Syphon
----------
i read that you use the each deck for syphon out. if you do this, yes you can get each deck separately in resolume, but you lose control of the xfader.

if you want to be able to control the xfade of videos, you should only use 'output', which is ME's main output.

Auto-Pilot
------------
resolume has an auto-pilot feature. you can auto play with per layer settings or clips play next, previous, random, first, last or nothing.

MIDI Sync
-------------
make a virtual midi device using Audio Midi Setup.
open audio midi setup
window>show midi window
click IAC Driver
enable 'Device is online'
under ports, click plus to add a port
name the port something meaningful like 'To Resolume'

To Sync Resolume to MIDI just enable it in preferences (preferences>MIDI)
select the midi device that is that you just created. choose clock input for clock. you can also choose midi input if you want to receive midi.

in live go to preferences>midi, enable track and sync for the device you created in Audio Midi Setup.

clip timelines and effects will now be synced to live.

to use bpm sync on a parameter, click the tiny down arrow to the left of the parameter and choose 'BPM Sync'. when you choose bpm sync you'll see a mini timeline, number of beats, direction, and whether the parameter will loop, back and forth or play once. the time line left and right arrows can be moved to adjust how low and high the parameter reaches. for left and far right is basically min value and max value.

example
click tiny arrow next Transform>Opacity and choose beat sync
you will see the timeline and a little playhood moving. change the right arrow to 0.75, leave beats on 4, leave direction on forward and leave it on loop. now start your midi source (ableton, etc). the clip will now play and the opacity will change with the beat.

you can use the midi clock from a pioneer mixer in resolume, but the pioneer mixer can only get tempo from real audio, not timecode. so if you are using scratch live, pioneer cannot derive tempo. so if you choose to use the midi clock from pio in resolume, you would have to tempo tap the bpm on the mixer every time the bpm in ssl changes.

the 62 and 68 has midi clock, but it's not accessible when serato is running. if it was you wouldn't need the brige. serato needs to get their act together on this.

saving banks
------------
you can only save compositions. but you can setup your composition with multiple layers and multiple decks. the only restriction is that only i clip per layer can play at any given time. so you want to make sure you think about the organization and how you want your layers to to work together.

it's also a good idea to put any clip you use a lot in each deck. that way you don't have to swithch decks to enable it. a perfect example is the ME syphon clip.

using ME's media bank feature
-----------------------------
that is an excellent idea to use a quartz composition with resolume syphon input. when you load an mp3, me will load the qtz and resolume input will be on the deck. in resolume, you can use auto-pilot or trigger clips manually with a midi controller.

i'm not sure how SV handles qtz files, but if you can load a qtz file, then it should work the same way.

and this is officially the longest post i've ever written lol
Code:E 5:57 PM - 26 February, 2013
Thank you so much for this response.

Quote:
you can use the midi clock from a pioneer mixer in resolume, but the pioneer mixer can only get tempo from real audio,

no problem there. i only use HID mode.

Quote:
so if you are using scratch live, pioneer cannot derive tempo. so if you choose to use the midi clock from pio in resolume,

Why not? The audio coming into the mixer is analog audio from the output on my SL4. The BPM on the mixer comes up all the time.

Thanks again for all the info :) When i get all of this working I want to create a demo video showing how i do everything and why. I know when i was starting out i would have loved to see an video on some of the more complicated setups out there and why they are used in that way.
Dj Nyce 6:10 PM - 26 February, 2013
doh you are right. i was thinking about a specific setup that i had before. bpm should show up on the pio mixer so you can totally use this in resolume.
Code:E 6:18 PM - 26 February, 2013
tonight when i'm home from school i'm trying this, after my business law exam.
SeriousCyrus 6:24 PM - 26 February, 2013
Quote:
i'm not sure how SV handles qtz files, but if you can load a qtz file, then it should work the same way.

I played around a little bit with syphon qtz files in sv a year ago or so, but wasn't having much luck. I was using a syphon server out, but it kept creating new servers each time the file was loaded, and not letting go of the old ones, eventually it just stops working after a few videos.

Interestingly, after syphoning out the video from sv, the video quality seems to improve.... looked smoother.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:55 PM - 27 February, 2013
Bookmarked!! This is some serious stuff.......
Taipanic 9:50 PM - 27 February, 2013
Also bookmarked. Would really love to have the time to go all in on this.
Nyce, do you have any video of some of the things you are doing with Resolume & Mad Mapper?
Code:E 10:08 PM - 27 February, 2013
I got really frustrated with Resolume last night. To the point where i put it down.

This is what i was using and playing with
fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net

Mapping the apc is being a pain in the ass.

Nyce or any other resolume user how are you building up sets of visuals. How big are they, are you using those tabs under the rows and columns? How many layers are you running how many clips in a row are you running?

But i did make progress. I got Resolume to syphon into ME perfectly! its really easy. I just downloaded the quartz syphon input file from the syphon website.

Now with ME I had to clear the media bank and the only file i put in it was the Syphon quartz input file. You cant put the same file in more than once which kinda sucks because i have 3 usb stick webcams and i had 3 different camera input quartz files. But with only 4 files in my media bank the camera's pop up more often than not. I would like to have 9 copies of the syphon input and the other 3 be camera's.
skinnyguy 12:16 AM - 28 February, 2013
can you make copies of the quartz file and rename it differently and use those in conjunction with the original copies?
Code:E 12:21 AM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
can you make copies of the quartz file and rename it differently and use those in conjunction with the original copies?

I'm going to try that!
Dj Nyce 4:18 AM - 28 February, 2013
i tend to use only 3 layers, but i've tested using more than 3 and it works.

anyways treat the layers like channels on a mixer. each layer has it own faders for audio and video.

i tend to use more decks and cells than layers so i dont have to scroll. my biggest deck is 3 layers x 17 columns (51 clips).

some decks there is no consistency, just a bunch of clips so they are not organized.

other decks are organized by layer (i.e. transparent clips in layer 3, abstract clips in layer 2 and text or shape layers in layer 1).

it really can be how you want. keep in mind that you can trigger an entire column by clicking the column header, so you might want to think about that when placing clips.
Code:E 8:25 AM - 28 February, 2013
So help me understand resolume and how to use it. Changing decks would be like changing all tracks that i can see. Each channel could or would now play clips for those decks. Having lots of decks doesn't slow it down?

Do you set all of your layers to auto play? How long are you leaving clips on? What do you have midi mapped in resolume?

How are you running ME? is ME going into resolume or is it the other way around?
Dj Nyce 3:19 PM - 28 February, 2013
yeah changing decks is like changing all the tracks you could see. equivalent of going into another 'crate'. each channel (layer) can play one clip. and you can control the fade with the A/AV/V buttons on the layer.

i haven't done any testing but yes the more decks, layers and clips you have directly affect performance. resolume seems to use more memory the more layers, decks and columns you have. but with 8gb and up you shouldn't have a problem running 15+ decks with multiple layers and columns. the biggest one i have is 10 decks, 3 layers and 17 columns. i try not to fill up each deck and just use each deck as more of an organization tool.

i always 1-3 layers going playing constantly. keep in mind when resolume is synced to midi clock, the midi source is what controls playback unless you hit 'pause'.

i have a few clips midi mapped (a 4x4 grid) using an lpd8. i have an x1, but i've been too lazy to mid map it. i'm also thinking of using an ipad since i have lemur. that would probably be the best option so that i can add whatever control i want.

up until your previous post ive only run ME into Resolume. But now that i know i can go in reverse to get more random clips, i will start using that method at gigs where i don't need the big guns of resolume.
phatbob 3:40 PM - 28 February, 2013
I'm learning so much from this thread right now! Respect to you guys.
Code:E 6:50 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
up until your previous post ive only run ME into Resolume. But now that i know i can go in reverse to get more random clips, i will start using that method at gigs where i don't need the big guns of resolume.

I'm thinking that going to be the way todo it.

Do you use efx's that are beat synced ever? do you still have clips set to auto advance. The auto advance feature is truly the only reason i want to use resolume. Grand VJ I know really well, but i don't want the same clip playing all the time and I don't want to have to pay attention to what clip is playing an how long it has been playing for.
Code:E 6:50 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
I'm learning so much from this thread right now! Respect to you guys.

I would have killed to read a post like this 1 year ago.
Code:E 6:51 PM - 28 February, 2013
Back to the threads main topic. Nyce are you still running the bridge well doing all of this? I only use the bridge 1/10 times i play. I need to have a DJ booth big enough to set it up in and I realy need to update my ableton set with more clips.
Dj Nyce 7:33 PM - 28 February, 2013
i love syncing effect parameters to bpm sync. for example the effect 'sucker>lazer', sync the 'suck' parameter to bpm. reduce the range to 50-75 and set the play mode to back and forth. fiyah.

i have most clips set to follow the layer, so that i can control auto-pilot at the layer level. but auto-pilot is more flexible if do it per clip. you can skip clips, go to the first or last clip, etc.

i'm not going to lie after playing with traktor's remix decks. i'm like meh about the bridge. i only run the bridge if i want to sync resolume.

maybe i'll revisit actually 'using' the bridge at a later date. maybe i'm not giving the bridge my all because i don't have an apc20 or 40. i just don't want to buy it and it ends up sitting in a corner where studio equipment goes to die.
Code:E 7:38 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
i'm not going to lie after playing with traktor's remix decks. i'm like meh about the bridge. i only run the bridge if i want to sync resolume.

maybe i'll revisit actually 'using' the bridge at a later date. maybe i'm not giving the bridge my all because i don't have an apc20 or 40. i just don't want to buy it and it ends up sitting in a corner where studio equipment goes to die.

My problem with the bridge is it i can't add clips or make shit up to put in it on the fly. Traktor remix decks, which i have only played with a little bit, look 10x better for that. I have said this before. If traktor adds video i will be on traktor the next week.

My apc 40 gets more use for visuals then it gets with ableton.
phatbob 7:49 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
i don't have an apc20 or 40. i just don't want to buy it and it ends up sitting in a corner where studio equipment goes to die.

That's where my APC20 has been sitting since about a month after the Bridge was released.
monkeyfunk 9:08 PM - 28 February, 2013
Amazing knowledge on this thread.

Can I consolidate your workflow, Nyce :

Serato Video/Mix Emergency

outputting via Syphon to

Resolume

Meanwhile, Ableton running in the background, enabling the Bridge, but solely as a Midi clock to trigger resolume FX.

So then do you additionally run Resolume layers/clips to mix, overlay with your outputted Serato Video/ME ?
Code:E 11:31 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
Amazing knowledge on this thread.

Can I consolidate your workflow, Nyce :

Serato Video/Mix Emergency

outputting via Syphon to

Resolume

Meanwhile, Ableton running in the background, enabling the Bridge, but solely as a Midi clock to trigger resolume FX.

So then do you additionally run Resolume layers/clips to mix, overlay with your outputted Serato Video/ME ?

I'm pretty sure thats exactly what he is doing. But he like myself plan todo this now.

Serato - ME playing music video's
Tracks with no video load a file from the media bank.

Only file in the media bank is Syphon input from Resolume.

Resolume is always playing clips and doing cool beat effects.

Ableton is running and is synced to a deck (usually the playing/live one).

This MIDI timecode is sending BPM info to resolume.

Alternately A DJM mixer could take the place of ableton and send MIDI timecode of the master channel audio to Resolume so you dont have to worry about making sure ableton is synced to the playing deck.

Quote:

Yes you could and I think Nyce was doing that. If you had some amazing overlays with your logo you might want todo that. Or you could just use the Quartz overlays ME has.

New question for Nyce. I was under the understanding that Resolume can have different, i dont know what to call them, sections. Let me describe this. Lets assume you have a big tower with 2 output dictated one to projectors and the other for TVs. In resolume can you not setup 4 layers to do cool visuals on those projectors, then have 2 more layers with a completely different set of visuals and maybe drink specials and other ads running. and then set resolume to to have 2 sort of universe's one for the projectors the other for the TV's?

My reasoning for want wanting to know this 1, todo exactly what i just described in the hypothetical 2. Syphon Resolume into ME for media, then syphon ME back out into resolume for added effects and layers before outputting.
WarpNote 7:16 AM - 5 March, 2013
love this thread!
skinnyguy 9:46 PM - 5 March, 2013
code:e - did duplicating and renaming qtz files work for you?
Code:E 1:39 AM - 6 March, 2013
Quote:
code:e - did duplicating and renaming qtz files work for you?

Haven't tried it yet. I'm waiting until I get comfortable with Resolume.
Funkytownstopsix 1:33 PM - 6 March, 2013
Hey Nyce can you post an sample video using all of this stuff I would like to see what you can do with it,,,,, and I don't think I am really smart enough after reading this post to use any of it... Yet I too like to mess around with cool stuff too....
Funkytownstopsix 1:34 PM - 6 March, 2013
Oh Thanks Code:E for sharing the link on another thread this is some good stuff....
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:13 PM - 10 April, 2013
Quote:
and here's a tip for resolume, if you set your composition size width to 3x the normal resolution you can send 3 different sources to madmapper/vpt.

Can you go into more detail on how this is done please??
Code:E 9:15 PM - 10 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Can you go into more detail on how this is done please??

Fucking awesome..... Now if you could only send one of those layers back into ME for text overlays.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:28 AM - 11 April, 2013
Code:e,

How are you separating the 3 once I run them into VPT?? I'm missing something but can't figure it out.
Code:E 2:18 AM - 11 April, 2013
I use mad mapper. I could only tell you what i do in that.
Code:E 2:21 AM - 11 April, 2013
I use a triple head to go most of the time. so I am outputting to 3 different projectors also. I have yet todo it with resolume yet, but i have done this in grand VJ before. Nyce just let me know how todo it in resolume.
Code:E 2:51 AM - 11 April, 2013
What are you having issues with? soundinsurgent? in grand vj i tell it to output at 3x the width. so like 2400x600.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:09 AM - 11 April, 2013
Well I haven't really tried it fully but I'm not understanding how VPT can see that as 3 different sources?? Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong. When I set my composition in Resolume so each layer is 800x600 all 3 will show up in VPT in one window. I'm guessing I'd have to crop everything??
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:10 AM - 11 April, 2013
I also think I need to get a different TH2G, I have the analog edition, not sure if that really makes a difference??
Code:E 6:53 AM - 11 April, 2013
Quote:
I'm not understanding how VPT can see that as 3 different sources??

Its not really it seeing one wide source. and you are using a mapping program to to show only 1/3 of it. or 1/2 if you only set it to half as wide.
Code:E 6:56 AM - 11 April, 2013
Quote:
I also think I need to get a different TH2G, I have the analog edition, not sure if that really makes a difference??

I dont think so. I have the digital one and use the VGA in and 3 DVI-vga adapters out on it. It works great.

All that one means is you have to run VGA.

I really do hate 1 thing about the TH@G's though. You MUST use the short shitty VGA cable that came in the box (I also got a DVI, same deal) I have never got any other one to work yet. Not sure why. I called them, they said I had to, but couldnt tell me why.
Dj Nyce 2:31 PM - 11 April, 2013
been awol. as code:e said already this little parlor trick allows madmapper/vpt to see a source that is 3x wide. because both madmapper and vpt allows you to slice up the input, you can slice up the input into 3 different layers.

this allows you for instance, to map video from mix emergency and visuals from resolume with only 1 video card and 1 projector. you could shoot the video onto a screen and the resolume visuals onto a 3d objects.

in resolume you set the composition size to 1920x480, then you position your layer or clips left, center, right). in vpt activate syphon1. set it to output (avenue/arena). activate layer 1-3, make sure the layer opacity is at 100%, set the source to syphon 1. in the navigator, go to the texture tab, enable tile and set x to 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3 for each of the layers. now move the layers around you should see the left, center and right from resolume.

@Code:E resolume can only send the main output via syphon so ME would see all 3 sections. while you can send ME to resolume and back into ME, this would result in ME and/or resolume processing the same pixels twice. syphon is meant to be linear (either ME>resolume>App A>projector or resolume>App B>ME>projector).
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:08 PM - 11 April, 2013
Thank you!! The texture tab was my missing link. Now I can get down to business.

Much appreciated bro!!
Code:E 5:43 PM - 11 April, 2013
Quote:
@Code:E resolume can only send the main output via syphon so ME would see all 3 sections. while you can send ME to resolume and back into ME, this would result in ME and/or resolume processing the same pixels twice. syphon is meant to be linear (either ME>resolume>App A>projector or resolume>App B>ME>projector).

Hummmm.... That makes sense. But fucks with my whole master plan.

Is there a way to edit the syphon input file (the one taking the syphon feed from Res) and have it only capture 1/3 of the screen.
Dj Nyce 6:23 PM - 11 April, 2013
the syphon input ME uses is a quartz file, so technically it should be possible to manipulate it.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:17 PM - 11 April, 2013
Well I got home a little while ago and this is truly the SHIT!!
@Dj Nyce, Thank you so much!! This just brought things to a whole new level for me.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:30 PM - 16 April, 2013
Is there a way to switch which layer is showing on a slice on the fly?? Is there a way to MIDI map this with Resolute??
Dj Nyce 2:12 AM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:
Is there a way to switch which layer is showing on a slice on the fly?? Is there a way to MIDI map this with Resolute??

to change which layer is showing on 1, 2, or 3 requires you to manually change the position x. position x can be midi mapped, but the control is a knob/fader type.

what you can do is set the position x at the clip level. for instance, set 3 clips to -640, 3 clips to 0 and 3 clips to +640. midi map all 9 clips to your controller now you can change what you see on 1, 2 or 3 with a button press.
Code:E 6:32 AM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

to change which layer is showing on 1, 2, or 3 requires you to manually change the position x. position x can be midi mapped, but the control is a knob/fader type.

what you can do is set the position x at the clip level. for instance, set 3 clips to -640, 3 clips to 0 and 3 clips to +640. midi map all 9 clips to your controller now you can change what you see on 1, 2 or 3 with a button press.

If you use something like Touch osc you can set a button to send out the right signal to get video change between these 3.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:11 PM - 17 April, 2013
Hmm, OK I think I understand what y'all are saying. I'm gonna use the 3rd shift on my DJM T1 for Resolume. Thanks again you guys are awesome!!
Code:E 8:17 PM - 20 April, 2013
Hey soundinsurgent. Up until now I was only playing with Grand VJ live, and demos/halfworking cracks of resolume. Well I bought Resolume Arena the other day (because I might have just got a gig doing visuals at a really high profile gig in monaco) anyway, i just need to say HOLY FUCK!!!! Resolume is beyond powerful. The things I am now able to do are blowing my mind! I am in the process of reading the manual cover to cover right now. I just want to make it clear that if you thinking about purchasing it DO IT, it is so worth it. Grand CJ has been great to me but resolume in on another level. It would be like comparing the original Video-SL to the most current version on ME (and then some). Just putting that out there.

I soon hope to integrate it into my full setup and plan on making a video showing how I do everything, and why i do it the way I do.
Taipanic 8:59 PM - 20 April, 2013
Quote:

I soon hope to integrate it into my full setup and plan on making a video showing how I do everything, and why i do it the way I do.

Looking forward to that. I'm really interested in this type of stuff but don't really have the time right now to dedicate to exploring it in depth. Seeing other's setups and what they are doing with it is a big motivator to be convinced to invest the time & money required to do it right.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:28 AM - 21 April, 2013
Nice!! Well hopefully tonight's gig pays for it then Monday it's all mine!
Code:E 1:35 AM - 21 April, 2013
I happened to be a student and they have a great educational discount. 50% off!!!! so i got arena and not avenu. I really needed mapping. and i figured that it would be better todo it all in one app then to run mad mapper and syphon it.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:10 PM - 21 April, 2013
Hmm, my wife is going to school to become a nurse. Wonder if that would classify as a student, lol! Might just have to look into that and saves a few bucks.
Code:E 10:41 PM - 21 April, 2013
Quote:
Hmm, my wife is going to school to become a nurse. Wonder if that would classify as a student, lol! Might just have to look into that and saves a few bucks.

Yes it will count. She will need to send them a picture of her student ID and a photo copy of her transcript. I;m a business student and they gave it to me.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:04 AM - 22 April, 2013
Nice!! Arena here I come! Thanks for the info bro!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:05 PM - 22 April, 2013
Dam Resolume has some dope content for sale! Looks like I'll be broke for the next month or two, lol! Definitely gotta add those to the budget.......
Code:E 5:52 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
Dam Resolume has some dope content for sale! Looks like I'll be broke for the next month or two, lol! Definitely gotta add those to the budget.......

Oh my thats an understatement. the content on there site is amazing. but SOOOOO fucking expensive. I can't justify buying any of it any time soon. I tried looking up the individual artist who put out packs i really really like, but I have yet to find if they sell that same content anywhere else, or in fact find any content by any of them.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:48 AM - 30 April, 2013
@Nyce or anyone who uses VPT,

Could someone please do a quick tutorial on how to use the Mesh, please? It's the one thing I could never really figure out. Also Nyce you had said that in some ways VPT is badass in it's own right, could you give up some details?

Thanks for all the info and tips thus far.
Code:E 3:17 AM - 30 April, 2013
I would love to see anything on how to use VPT. I have never been able to get it to do anything yet. I need todo some very very basic mapping out of grand VJ on the Res's visuals computer and any insight on how to get it to work would be amazing.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:14 AM - 30 April, 2013
Its pretty simple really. Just launch VPT then select Grand VJ from either syphon 1 or 2. Beta 7 is out and now you can have up to 4 syphon sources!! Dont know what Id do with that many but you can do it, lol! Anyways after youve selected your source move the slider up so that it shows in the output. You can also have all your layers framed so things are easier to see (this has changed with 7) Next hit the "K" key or click on the "K" then start dragging your corners and map away.

Heres the tutorial videos, Watchwww.youtube.com
that should get you rolling along.
Code:E 5:26 AM - 30 April, 2013
Sorry I want to use VPT on a PC.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:03 AM - 30 April, 2013
I've never tried it myself but you could try using 2 machines. Put Grand VJ on one and run it into a capture card of some sort on the other machine with VPT. Then in VPT select it under one of the live input tabs and then map away. In theory it should/could work but I've never tried it.
Dj Nyce 1:54 PM - 30 April, 2013
i'll be awol for the next few days, but yeah i'll put something together by the end of the week using vpt, me and resolume.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:09 PM - 30 April, 2013
Awesome! Thanks it's much appreciated!