Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Universal support for new (Intel) Macs???

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
DJ Gibs 10:51 PM - 10 January, 2006
Will Serato be compiling a new Mac Universal version for support on the new (Intel based) Macs??? I'm sold on SSL over the competition and was going to get a 14" iMac but now I'm dying to get the new MacBook. Will the existing Mac version of SSL work on these new Macs? It doesn't sound like Rossetta will do the job, if this software is a DSP hog. How long 'till a Universal Mac version is ready!?!?!?
nobspangle 11:09 PM - 10 January, 2006
Serato have promised they are working on a dual binary and that it will be ready soon, possibly in time for the launch of the intel macs, if not then soon after.
Serato
Josh 11:29 PM - 10 January, 2006
We are working on a universal binary. We don't have an ETA yet, but will certainly let you know once we do.
majorp 11:22 PM - 13 January, 2006
ive orderd my iMac, how long do you reckon and do you think it will work at all with rosette? Its the 2.0ghz version.
Menace 1:07 PM - 14 January, 2006
What does ETA stand for and do you think SSL will work on the new MacBook Pro when SSL is still a PowerPC program whle using the Rosetta Box?
mexicannnnnn 3:30 PM - 14 January, 2006
Quote:
What does ETA stand for and do you think SSL will work on the new MacBook Pro when SSL is still a PowerPC program whle using the Rosetta Box?

Estimated time of arrival.
No.
Menace 7:54 PM - 14 January, 2006
Thanks.
Oh.
mexicannnnnn 11:42 PM - 14 January, 2006
It might work... but probabaly not well.
DJTJ 12:20 AM - 15 January, 2006
Gibs... wow.. Long time man. I've been using serato for just about a year now, never had 1 problem with it. I think I'm gonna wait till mac comes out with a 12 or 13 inch till I buy a new intel version.
DJMark 7:47 AM - 15 January, 2006
I think it would be very wise to wait for the second generation of Intel-based Apple machines. Early-adopters usually pay a premium for inferior performance (compared to later models). This is a really huge change in basic design and, while I love Apple to death and know they've probably put an enormous effort into their new hardware, past history tells me the second generation is the one for people needing maximum reliability.

If I needed to buy a "desktop" Mac *today* to run SSL, I'd purchase one of the G5 iMacs.
DJ Gibs 9:56 PM - 17 January, 2006
TJ... yeah man, its been more than a minute! Hope all is well. Hail me up @gmail. Heard a rumor that they're dropping the 12" PowerBook (with the transition to Intel) but who knows, there's a rumor about a 13" widescreen.

I'm fed up with my CDX f'n up all the time. I'm set to buy SSL and a Mac but don't know if I should hold off a month or so for the Intel version or just get a PowerBook G4. I was even thinking of getting an iMac but not sure how mobile it would be. It would sure be a lot nicer in the studio than a laptop (and more bang for the buck)... easy!
djkenace 2:24 AM - 18 January, 2006
it would be really nice to see when the new univeral code for the intel macs would come out. should be great hopefully Serato Scratch will take advantage of the dual core processor.
hussla 6:04 AM - 18 January, 2006
Quote:
I think it would be very wise to wait for the second generation of Intel-based Apple machines. Early-adopters usually pay a premium for inferior performance (compared to later models). This is a really huge change in basic design and, while I love Apple to death and know they've probably put an enormous effort into their new hardware, past history tells me the second generation is the one for people needing maximum reliability.

If I needed to buy a "desktop" Mac *today* to run SSL, I'd purchase one of the G5 iMacs.

was thinking the same thing..quite new to ssl, was looking at finalscratch..Lets not even go there!tryna get a notebook dedicated to ssl use, crossed out the new macbook pros (for reasons above) torn between ibook g4 14" 1.42ghz 1gb RAM 100gb or the powerbook g4 1.6ghz 1GB RAM 100gb. how much of a difference will the ram make? would 512kb be sufficient? seein that the recommended is 256kb.& wat difference in performance would 5200rpm make to 7200rpm? Dont wanna get a chainsaw instead of a breadknife..if u know wat i mean, but wanna get the best for the job i.e futureproof the notebook as much i can, but not ridiculously.Any advice welcome
hussla 6:11 AM - 18 January, 2006
sorry ..meant 512MB, & 256MB recommended. not kb!:)
DJMark 7:04 AM - 18 January, 2006
I think 512 is a reasonable minumum for the operating system itself. With 256, you're going to see the thing slowing down from making freqent use of the pagefile. More is always better, especially if you're using other applications besides SSL. Even some web browsers are amazing RAM hogs.

I have 5400rpm drives both in my Powerbook and external, they work fine for audio. Not sure the extra expense is worthwhile for 7200, plus the faster drives usually run hotter which can mean decreased reliability/lifespan.

If your budget allows, the Powerbook is definitely the more capable machine. I traded from an iBook to a Powerbook for DJ-ing. The biggest performance difference is bus speed (133 vs 166 mHz). I feel more confident in the heat-dissipating characteristics of aluminum compared to plastic when working in a hot DJ booth with 6,000 watts of amplifiers a foot away.
Rebelguy 3:22 PM - 18 January, 2006
I still don't understand why everyone is trying to jump on board with the new Intel Macs. Serato runs perfectly well on the technology that is out now. The main isssue has always been with Apples heat dissipation but this can easily be remedied with a cooler. I would just hate to see a bunch of people jump on board with something that in reality will probably not be fully functional for at least 6 more months. This isn't just a new case design and a bump in processor speed, it is a whole new processor with a fully modified operating system. Although I am sure that it is on the Serato teams radar I bet there are quite a few other things that need to be handled which are more important...like maybe the final version of 1.5 and a Master Tempo plug-in.

On another note, from what I understand from my friends that have worked at Apple, the ibooks are built to be more durable than the powerbooks. They know that these are meant for people that are constantly on the go, like students, so you are going to see a beefier case. The powerbooks are damn sexy but they get so hot.
BriChi 5:21 PM - 18 January, 2006
i want to job on the intel macs just to see if the issue with the "screen freezing for a second everytime i load a track" will be resolved by the faster processor and new ssl version. I know its not a big deal, but it still scares me everytime i load a new track
DJMark 9:47 PM - 18 January, 2006
Quote:
The powerbooks are damn sexy but they get so hot.

The case of the Powerbooks get warm (I've never felt mine get what I'd call "hot") because the heat is being dissipated (sinked) by the metal case...as compared to the plastic on the iBooks acting more like an insulator (less efficiently dissipating the heat from inside).
hussla 2:23 AM - 19 January, 2006
thanx
djtrixxxx 1:56 PM - 19 January, 2006
I am looking to purchase SSL very soon. If I purchase SSL now and get a new MacBook Pro, would the SSL being tested be just an upgrade to the SSL that's out now? Should I wait to purchase SSL when it's compatible with the MacBook Pro?
Rebelguy 3:26 PM - 19 January, 2006
I would wait until the second generation MacBook Pro is released above anything. They usually have a problem with their first round of releases. Yes it does make you look cool but the headache of dealing with repairs makes that feeling go away really quick.

I remember when my wife got her first 12 inch ibook when they were released. The hard drive failed within the first 2 weeks. Then there was something wrong with the battery charging. We sure did make use of the applecare program.

Then she decided to go with the first generation new imacs. The screen went out within the first 30 days. We ultimately returned it and she just re-bought it last September. It now is a great computer.
djtrixxxx 4:09 PM - 19 January, 2006
Should I wait on purchasing SSL also? That's my first concern. If I buy SSL now, will I be able to upgrade it to a future version that works with the MacBook Pro hardware in the future or will I have to purchase a whole new SSL software and hardware?
Rebelguy 6:11 PM - 19 January, 2006
I am pretty sure the upgrade would be free. There is actually another thread somewhere that states that they have it working on one of the intel macs but haven't tested it fully.
DJ 3pm 5:23 AM - 20 January, 2006
the upgrade to universal binaries will be free, as will all software updates (not plug-ins). i would reckon that 1.5 will be universal binary as its final release (which may be before your intel mac shows up perhaps).
Menace 9:55 PM - 20 January, 2006
djtrixxxx, I would wait until it`s definately clear that SSL will work on a MacBook Pro. Nothing is worse than a non or bad functioning system (like my Final Scratch 1.5 problem in the past).

If it will work on the new Macs you gonna love SSL and your new friend.
Showboat 3:33 PM - 7 February, 2006
OK it is Feb 7,2006, the MacBook Pro comes out next week. I wouold love to spend the $ on it, but is the update ready? If not is there an ETA, Yet? I know the programmers of Serato knew about this, being that they are MAC guys anyway. I would think that they would be on top of their game. SHit they came up with this awesome program. SO QUESTION....WHEN IS THE UPDATE AVAILABLE???
nik39 5:45 PM - 7 February, 2006
Quote:
We are working on a universal binary. We don't have an ETA yet, but will certainly let you know once we do.

© Josh, Serato.
nobspangle 6:14 PM - 7 February, 2006
1.5 will be a universal binary and the next public beta is expected to be as well, so hold tight I doubt it will be more than two weeks before you have a version that works with an intel Mac.
Showboat 3:26 AM - 8 February, 2006
Thank you, I know you guys are great and we probably expect more than that, but reality is we are all human, trying to build a flawless program for a computer which lknows no error. the only error is what the human being brings to it. I only ask that you try to keep a daily or at leat a bi-weekly post of your status. Just because the release of the machine is right around the corner and so many of your current customers are waiting, who will also be your salesman and/or street team for future sales. GIVE ME A JOB!!!
mexicannnnnn 3:46 AM - 8 February, 2006
I'm sure a new beta will be around before the end of Feb. Probably a week or 2.
DJ MDX 5:05 AM - 8 February, 2006
I am buying my Mac Intel with no fear of SSL being Universal. I am just waiting on stock and will have it as soon as it comes in.

Have faith, The SSL Team has always been there for us.
majorp 6:27 PM - 8 February, 2006
I have a Intel iMac now and i can confirm that there is no way this is running on rosette. It all installs fine and recognises the device but won't play, even in interbal mode. oh well.......
DJQ 7:29 PM - 22 March, 2006
Just wanted to add a comment to this thread. I'm a new SSL user with the new intel Mac. Upgraded to version 1.5 beta 4 and seems to be working fine - tracks play.
DJ White Lightning 10:52 PM - 26 March, 2006
(bump)

Any new info please?

I want to buy one bad.
dj.Eyrro 5:39 AM - 4 April, 2006
Quote:
I have a Intel iMac now and i can confirm that there is no way this is running on rosette. It all installs fine and recognises the device but won't play, even in interbal mode. oh well.......

Same on the MacBook Pro. Installs great... but won't work!!! Need help. =)
mexicannnnnn 5:53 AM - 4 April, 2006
Go download 1.5 BETA 4!!! :-)
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:19 PM - 4 April, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
************ News Flash *************

Thanks for your patience everyone - click here for access to the 1.5 public beta -->> www.scratchlive.net <<--