DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Headphone Plug Tip Stuck in Headphone Jack

Mr. Goodkat 6:01 AM - 14 July, 2008
Ok, so at one of my club gigs a guy got his headphone plug tip stuck in the mixer. What would be the best way to remedy this problem?

I know its happened before and they got it out some how, but i don't want to fuck anything up.
Mr. Goodkat 6:17 AM - 14 July, 2008
okay, long story short: I had an extra 1/4 inch head phone plug and disassembled it. The tip has a small hole(actually looks like it would fit a phillips head screwdriver) that has room to connect to the rest of the plug. Next, I got a 6 piece precision tool set, and stuck the 3/32 in and twisted it out. Much easier than i thought, posted it in case it happens to anyone else.
Kenny Q 8:12 PM - 14 July, 2008
The tip of a 1/4 plug has been stuck in my son's mixer for months.
He's been using the mini plug.

I spoke to someone at Rane who told me to send it to them. The problem is, we are booked every weekend.

We have to wait until November to send it.
DJ Michael Basic 12:37 AM - 18 July, 2008
When I got a 1/4" plug tip stuck in my mixer, the way I got it out was with an ice pick and some superglue. I coated the tip of the ice pick with superglue, stuck it into the hole and let it set for about 2 minutes, then snagged the piece of 1/4" connector right out.
Mr. Goodkat 5:12 PM - 24 July, 2008
nice, but i dont think i would want to chance getting any superglue in my headphone jack.
nobspangle 5:31 PM - 24 July, 2008
Quote:
nice, but i dont think i would want to chance getting any superglue in my headphone jack.

Right, but you wouldn't be loosing much, at the moment you can't use it because it has a headphone tip stuck in, if you cause problems with glue you won't be able to use it because it has glue on it. You've not lost anything, if you end up having to send it in to Rane they will most likely just change the socket anyway.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:56 PM - 24 July, 2008
We'll be glad to service your mixer here at the factory.

To send the unit in for repair you will need to be issued an RA# (return authorization number). To request an RA, please e-mail me your serial number, full name, shipping address and telephone number.

Once we receive the unit, our turnaround time is typically 3-4 days.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Rane contact -->> rane.com
Kenny Q 8:34 PM - 24 July, 2008
It's a good thing that the mixer has 2 headphone jacks.

One can be used as backup or it could be used if you want someone listening to what you are doing.
grotesque 5:49 AM - 25 July, 2008
haven't had this problem with a rane, but i did with a vestax. i fixed it by getting into the mixer and pushing it through from the other end. i'd assume that'd void your warranty though sooo...
cheeba (the believer) 9:00 AM - 25 July, 2008
Quote:
When I got a 1/4" plug tip stuck in my mixer, the way I got it out was with an ice pick and some superglue. I coated the tip of the ice pick with superglue, stuck it into the hole and let it set for about 2 minutes, then snagged the piece of 1/4" connector right out.

I did exactly this and it worked a treat! just use a tiny amount of glue though.

beats sending it off and being without your mixer for a while ;)

cheeb
Kenny Q 4:29 PM - 25 July, 2008
Quote:
haven't had this problem with a rane, but i did with a vestax. i fixed it by getting into the mixer and pushing it through from the other end. i'd assume that'd void your warranty though sooo...

I thought about doing the same thing until I opened the mixer and found that the jack is not open on both ends.
Mr. Goodkat 6:17 AM - 26 July, 2008
Quote:

I thought about doing the same thing until I opened the mixer and found that the jack is not open on both ends.

yeah, i thought the same thing. man that was a pain in the ass, esp. when i found how easy it was.

btw, it wasnt really the mixers fault, the way the club had it installed was kinda weird and made it hard to get the jack out.
j cue 8:54 AM - 26 July, 2008
same happened to mine.
what i did was try to spread the little forked bits on the end of the jack where the tip came off, shove it back in,, twist and pull until it comes. worked for me, no damage to mixer
cappinkirk 8:56 PM - 29 July, 2008
i broke off a half of my 1/4" plug in there (yes, actually broke the metal plug) but I got it out with needlenose pliers. no damage but i just use the 1/8" now.
Sheldon 11:42 PM - 29 July, 2008
a homie of mine had that happen too
he used needle nose pliers, and it worked perfectly
on a side note this happened at a show in front of 100 people.
hella big props to rane for having a "1/8 plug right beside it!!!!
you guys really thought of everything!
cappinkirk 11:44 PM - 29 July, 2008
hella major propers indeed
pjsmith197 4:36 PM - 19 November, 2011
My stepson had this happen to his cheap amp.
I took the back off, and the access to the back of the socket was easy. It was open sided so a small screwdriver was able to pry out the tip to fall out the front of the socket. I was careful not breaking warranty seals etc. and there was quite a lot of space in the enclosure.

Now the problem I have is with a mobile phone 3.5mm jack and a broken tip. I cant get to the tip going in the back of the phone so may try the glue trick.
know1_junglist 8:48 PM - 16 September, 2017
This just happened to me. I tried Needle nose pliers, but they just pulled out a metal tab and the rest of the jack was still stuck inside. I ended up taking the cover off the bottom so I could access the headphone socket. I lightly pulled back one of the tabs that hold the jack with tweezers. Next I put a little dab of crazy glue on the end of the other half of the jack. Stuck the jack in and waited for the glue to cure. It came out no problem.
WICKIWICKIWICKI 4:38 PM - 25 March, 2019
I used superglue and a screwdriver. Worked great
Mr. Goodkat 5:20 PM - 25 March, 2019
2008 was the last great year in the u.s.