Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Mic output sounds distorted and muffled

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJ Pumpit 2:34 PM - 11 February, 2013
I have been trying to figure out this problem for awhile now , and it seems like a lot of people are having the same issue . I keep getting the same answer back from Pioneer to play around with the settings on the controller. Trust me I have tried everything . So I did a test and hooked up my Denon Dn-mc6000 and put all the settings exactly the same on both controllers . I then plugged my Mic into the Pioneer Controller , and it sounded like crap , I then plugged the same Mic into the Denon and it was very Noticeable difference. I am using the Shure SM58 Mic and I also have tried Shure Pgx4 Mic . So I am now hearing that we should go out and buy another Mixer just for the Mic . Can you tell me if this is a Firmware fix or is this a hardware problem that cannot be fixed , if so I will be returning this unit to the store. Just on another not a couple of other problems I have noticed . One is when you turn up the Mater Volume the Master LED meter does not light up until you get past noon . Also if you turn up the master volume knob , you will notice in the software for both Virtual DJ and Serato that the Volume does not move in the software when you turn the knob , and same thing with the mic . I hope you can answer these questions for me truthfully , and soon .
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:54 PM - 11 February, 2013
Try setting your PG58 to -10db. You can unscrew the neck of the mic (right under the logo). there is a little dipswitch in there. Set it to -10db and you should be fine.

I used mine out for the first time yesterday with no issues. Same with a friend of mine workign in the same catering hall. No issues with that quick fix.
DJ Pumpit 2:57 PM - 11 February, 2013
Thank you I will try this out tonight and let you know if this solves it !
DJ Pumpit 3:14 PM - 11 February, 2013
Their is no switch for the Shure SM58 Mic , I tried also hooking up a Line match Transformer , this may of helped it by maybe 5 % . I think the only solution is to either buy a different Mic that will work with the Pioneer or buy a Mix Mixer
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:59 PM - 11 February, 2013
Is your mic wireless? I took pictures of it, Ill post shortly. Like I said, it worked for me and another DJ. No Mic problems at all after!
Certified Quality Entertainment 4:02 PM - 11 February, 2013
DJ Pumpit 4:09 PM - 11 February, 2013
The Shure SM58 is a wired Mic .
Certified Quality Entertainment 4:56 PM - 11 February, 2013
ahh...probably not built the same then. Sorry!

Funny, i have a crappy wired stageworks mic I hooked up to the 1/4" input to test and it sounded fine. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.
DJ Pumpit 3:13 PM - 13 February, 2013
Pioneer has admitted their is a problem , and they are looking into it . They said their is no eta . I am under the impression that this is only happening with certain mics . Seems like the more expensive ones are having many issues .
DJ Pumpit 7:57 PM - 16 February, 2013
I ordered a Rode M1 Mic and got to try it out , and it sounds great with the Pioneer DDJ-SX looks like I will be packing up my Shure SM58 Mic
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:45 PM - 18 February, 2013
Hi DJ Pumpit,

We have had many reports of the mic issue. Pioneer and Serato are working together to try and remedy it however we can. Glad to hear you are getting better results with your new mic.

Matt P
VJ Justin Allen 8:59 PM - 18 February, 2013
The Shure 58 is an industry standard, not some toy mic off the shelf. Forcing the end user to buy another mic should not be the answer.
Gtaris 11:31 PM - 18 February, 2013
Hi,

I've just ordered my DDJ-SX.
It should arrive early april.

I do use Shure 58 for years (like many others) and don't want to hassle with an external attenuator nor use another mic.
From what I understand, the problem hasn't been fixed yet on the new batch?

If that's the case, I'll remove my order until further notice.

Who has the latest batch ? Did someone get a DDJ-SX this month?
DJ Pumpit 12:34 AM - 19 February, 2013
I got mine about 2 weeks ago . What do you mean their is a new batch ? What was wrong with the old batch > Anyways mine works fine with the Rode M1 Mic , and my Shure Pgx4 Wireless is also working good .
Gtaris 2:23 PM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:
I got mine about 2 weeks ago . What do you mean their is a new batch ? What was wrong with the old batch > Anyways mine works fine with the Rode M1 Mic , and my Shure Pgx4 Wireless is also working good .

Hi DJ Pumpit,
Well it seems like this problem occurs with a Shure SM58, I can't afford to have such a problem on a new unit I'll be using with that specific mic.

All electronic products go through hardware revisions, especially when there are problems.
For example, if they physically change amplifier circuits on the board to fix this mic problem, the PCB should have a new rev. number.
So the next generation products (= new batch) should have the mic sound issues fixed.
If there's a factory fix, you'll start hearing people saying all their mics work, specifically the SM58 and other "incompatible" mics.
I'll do everything I can to have a batch where this issue is fixed.

Anyway, it's good to hear they are still shipping some DDJ-SX units this month.
From what I understand, they have delayed production to fix problems.
Gtaris 2:31 PM - 19 February, 2013
Or, of course the problem can be solved by a firmware update (just out today) :

Ver.1.02 -> Ver.1.05 (19 February, 2013 Update)
- Improved the operability of the performance pads in the SAMPLER VELOCITY MODE.
- Reduced audio distortion which may occur with excessively large microphone input.
DJ Pumpit 2:32 PM - 19 February, 2013
I actually called about 10 stores before actually finding one that had one left in stock . So I was actually lucky to get mine . I know lot's of people here in Canada have been waiting for awhile to get one . So my question is if they fix the unit , will we be able to exchange it for a new one
DJ Pumpit 2:33 PM - 19 February, 2013
Dam just saw that post Thank you Gtaris I will try it out tonight . !!
Gtaris 2:36 PM - 19 February, 2013
No problem, have fun with your new controller :)
Feedback of this update is always welcome.
controversial 7:37 PM - 19 February, 2013
has anyone tried the update and tried there mic? I wont be able to try mine untill thursday hoping someone can provide some input
DJ Pumpit 8:36 PM - 19 February, 2013
Just installed the new update , I did a test on the SM58 Mic and it does sound better . But I will say the Rode M1 Mic is still kicking ass over the SM58 , The Rode Mic sounds deeper sound , and the SM58 sounds like a higher pitch sound . Everything else is working fine on the Controller . I have also tried this out on my Wireless Pgx4 Mic and also noticed a huge difference , I was yelling into the Mic and it did not muffle or sound distorted at all . Big improvement so I am happy with the results !
Certified Quality Entertainment 9:28 PM - 19 February, 2013
Nice to hear! I wasn't having any issues with my SM58 (as long as I had the -10db switch on). But i'm sure everyone is glad to hear the issue has been fixed.
Serato, Support
Matt P 9:42 PM - 19 February, 2013
DJ Pumpit,

Glad to hear the new firmware is helping with the mic issue.
Thanks for providing the feedback.

Matt P
10:00 PM, 5 Mar 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.