DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How does the loops sampler on a 62 compare with a DJM-400?

run_zmc 7:17 AM - 4 February, 2013
I like the DJM-400 in that it has a dedicated "area" and Level knob for loop samples. The layout of the 62 is less intuitive (no knob for loops). What is the DJM-400 equivalent operation? Thanks.
Joshua Carl 7:52 PM - 4 February, 2013
the loop control, and the sampler control are 2 different things

(maybe we are just getting our wires crossed on terminology)

rane.com <- check this

the loops are controlled by the loop knob (to select loop length)
and under that knob is a in/out and loop-roll button
you can also toggle it into manual mode where you can manually set loop in and outs..

the sample volume control is just to the left of the Left channel fader
it has a volume, and a efx depth/control knob.

the samples are fired by the 10 cue/sample lights across the mixer, banks are access by hitting the corresponding buttons (4 banks) on the mixer (hit cue/sample to toggle between the funtions)
Joshua Carl 7:54 PM - 4 February, 2013
i always recommend when looking at mixers the manuals are a great place to start:
rane.com
run_zmc 10:26 PM - 4 February, 2013
Thanks for your help... I read and reread the loops and samples sections in the manual before writing my question, but still confused. I will try and focus my question: I want to be able to record loops on the fly, and use them like samples (with a level knob). Here's how you do it on a DJM-400: turntable-dj.wonderhowto.com

It's a make or break feature for me.
Joshua Carl 10:32 PM - 4 February, 2013
The way that works within SeRato is a bit different...
Via a version of the "instant doubles" feature

Rather then Load the "instant double" to/from the left/right deck

You simply select your loop on the track then drag it to one of the 6 sample player decks.
It will instantly play (just like loading an instant double) what you had selected (recorded) while it was in the main player decks

There might even be a shortcut/midi assignment for this, not sure. I don't use that feature enough to map it.
Joshua Carl 10:34 PM - 4 February, 2013
I use this function mostly when I'm doing a live multitrack blend... Gives u ability to swap countless instrumentals under an acapella

Hope that helps
run_zmc 10:37 PM - 4 February, 2013
Thanks for your help. Will read more about it.
Dj Nyce 12:32 AM - 6 February, 2013
the autoloops in ssl is what you want. but you can only do one auto loop at a time unless you save them. even if you save the loops with tracks you can only fire one at time.

as JC said you can then drag your loop to an sp-6 slot, but unfortunately because the sp-6 isn't synced, you will have to manually beat match your decks.

you can however save multiple loops in different sp-6 slots and fire them all at the same time, but again, no sync.
run_zmc 6:23 PM - 7 February, 2013
ok so to make sure I understand: Let's say I'm playing Track 1 (Deck 1) at +2 pitch. Create autoloop. Save autoloop. Drag autoloop to SP-6. Change Deck 1 to -3 pitch. Fire SP-6 autoloop. At what pitch will the autoloop play? I'm assuming +2 or 0 pitch.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:25 PM - 7 February, 2013
Quote:
At what pitch will the autoloop play?

It will play at the same pitch that it was when you dropped it into the sample deck.
run_zmc 6:27 PM - 7 February, 2013
Got it. Thanks guys.
Trinicapone 12:49 AM - 10 February, 2013
Hate to say it but you can do this in Bridge. Dont get me wrong I love Bridge