DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Macbook Pro Add-On's

DJ Quartz 5:34 PM - 1 February, 2013
Has anyone used one of these before?

www.mcetech.com
DJ506 7:22 PM - 1 February, 2013
~ Yes, I just did this in October. Works fine. No problems. Easy Install. :)
DJ Quartz 8:56 PM - 1 February, 2013
Thanks for the feedback.
DJ Quartz 8:57 PM - 1 February, 2013
What model do you have?
phatbob 12:57 AM - 4 February, 2013
I've installed the cheap eBay knockoffs of the Optibay in 3 different MBPs of different vintage, and they've all been great. Installing them is fiddly but the iFixit guides make it straightforward enough.
DJMark 1:05 AM - 4 February, 2013
I have both the Optibay and OWC's "Data Doubler" in main and backup computers...They're both fine. I give the nod to the MCE Optibay though, for both being quite a bit cheaper and for holding the drive in place with four screws (2 on each side). OWC's product only holds the drive in place with 2 screws on one side.

I don't know which "cheap eBay knockoffs" phatbob might have installed, but I've seen a couple products that seemed sketchy. One of them held in place with one screw, for example. Not something I'd trust for a laptop that's getting moved around a lot. The "real" Optibay is only $40 anyway...
phatbob 1:14 AM - 4 February, 2013
Quote:
The "real" Optibay is only $40 anyway...

Not readily available in the UK where I am, though... If I was in the States it would be a no-brainer.

I was dubious about buying cheapie versions the first time, but as I say, I've had no issues. Been a while since I installed one but I'm sure they all had 2 screws on each side.
DJ Quartz 4:27 PM - 7 February, 2013
Looking forward to this, but I have to look into NTFS compatibility. I have my whole serato database and music on a separate drive.

It would nice to slap in it in with this and get the dvd enclosure to have an optical drive when needed.

I'm hoping I can put the second drive in and SSL will just pick up the database and business as usual.

Otherwise I will have to convert the NTFS partition to HFS.
DJ Quartz 4:32 PM - 7 February, 2013
I might just buy a new drive for the bay and use an external caddy to move the data over and done.
DJ DisGrace 4:41 PM - 7 February, 2013
Quote:
I'm hoping I can put the second drive in and SSL will just pick up the database and business as usual.

It will, but you won't be able to write to it.

Quote:

I would do this anyway. Always better to use the native file format for gigs.
DJ Quartz 5:05 PM - 7 February, 2013
Quote:

I would do this anyway. Always better to use the native file format for gigs.

Very true, hence I'm just going to get a new drive and copy the contents over.

Then I will ghost the system drive over to the existing 750gb drive and it will be my main system drive.

Fun fun, transferring my whole Machine library, etc.
DJ Quartz 5:07 AM - 8 February, 2013
Well I ordered the hardrive bay and external dvd drive enclosure from mcetech today. I also bought two 7200rpm WD Black drives for the macbook when I get it.
DJ Quartz 2:00 PM - 8 February, 2013
I'm actually glad I got a cheap Mac mini awhile back. Makes this process so much easier.

Formatted both drives in Mac format and connected to my windows laptop to transfer the database and all music.

Have to find a Mac disk cloning applicatoin so I can clone whatever drive comes installed.
DJ DisGrace 2:21 PM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
Have to find a Mac disk cloning applicatoin so I can clone whatever drive comes installed.

SuperDuper
Carbon Copy Cloner
DJ Quartz 3:00 PM - 8 February, 2013
Yep, just reading about them already. Thanks