Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Beat-grid analysis consistently wrong

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
SiB 7:30 PM - 25 January, 2013
Every time I perform analysis on my mp3 tracks in Serato DJ the beat-grids are consistently set wrong. For every track the grid is is either 2 or 3 small clicks to the left of the actual beat, meaning I have to manually set the beatgrids on my collection of over 3000 records which I feel is unacceptable. I have already had to buy Mixed In Key because Serato does not set the key, and now I have also bought Platinum Notes to see if this rectifies the problem, but it makes no difference.

Please can you tell me why this is happening?

Regards,
Simon.
readydestroy 2:21 PM - 26 January, 2013
I am having the same problem. It is very frustrating as I just moved from Traktor to Serato and never had this problem before. Really makes it hard to have confidence in my set when I am consistently nudging and sliding the beat grid. Manually adjusting all my songs and videos files is the only thing I have found to help.

Any insight would be great!
DJ Aaron_SA 12:14 PM - 27 January, 2013
I don't find that a prob as I know how to beat mix.
SH3PARD 6:22 PM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:
I don't find that a prob as I know how to beat mix.

i like this guys answer..lol well i have a pair of CDJ2000 and a DDJ SX and the Beat-grid analysis in SERATO DJ needs attension
SiB 6:57 PM - 27 January, 2013
I'd be worried if anyone was on this site and didn't know how to beat-mix!!

The fact is that the DDJ-SX comes with a multitude of features that depend on accurate beat-grids, and whilst the need for the occasional tweak or adjustment is to be expected, I really don't want to reset the grid for every track.

Incidentally, since I've been waiting for Serato to respond I've installed Traktor Pro and a DDJ-SX map. Will report back once I've given it a go...
SH3PARD 7:04 PM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:
I'd be worried if anyone was on this site and didn't know how to beat-mix!!

The fact is that the DDJ-SX comes with a multitude of features that depend on accurate beat-grids, and whilst the need for the occasional tweak or adjustment is to be expected, I really don't want to reset the grid for every track.

Incidentally, since I've been waiting for Serato to respond I've installed Traktor Pro and a DDJ-SX map. Will report back once I've given it a go...

the Viper mapping with TRAKTOR is nice for tight mixing but it lacks in the feeling and authenticity that the SERATO has..... SERATO DJ has the potential to be all that and more just need the updates to fix theys issues
SH3PARD 7:05 PM - 27 January, 2013
i wish Viper kept @ it
SiB 8:05 PM - 27 January, 2013
Thanks Sh3pard, that's good to know. Let's hope Serato fix this soon.
Asu 3:49 AM - 29 January, 2013
Guys there's no problem with beat grids if done correctly...i used to have the same problem,then realized i had the wrong range set for my library...so i set it to 68-135 (Hip hop & most top 40) and beat grids have been 80% accurate...some bpms will be halved or doubled though outside the selected range...double click bpm & fix the bpm for these songs.double or halve it using alt+ up or down arrow...set proper range for this track and drag and drop it on analyze button with beatgrid enabled for proper grids...

Hope this helps you guys :-)
SH3PARD 8:41 AM - 29 January, 2013
ill give it a try but i when i mix i keep 2 tracks together for about 1m30s to 2min the tracks start drifting even when spot on (as in we forget about the BBM display and use the ear)

i come from CDj'S AND TRAKTOR so this is not feeling rite
Asu 6:03 PM - 29 January, 2013
I was a traktor guy too but u just have to do a little pitch bending...traktor locks it up pretty well though...but I find serato more fluid and I love the library management + Video

Let me know if the info helps
SH3PARD 6:10 PM - 29 January, 2013
I hear you loud and clear on this one and I fully agree.. but when I'm trying to do a radio show or podcast this small issue has got me at the point that I've just listed my still new DDJ SX ON EBAY

:'(
Asu 6:32 PM - 29 January, 2013
im sure they are working on beat locking issue too...they are aware of it and the keylock not being it's best right now.we should see improvements in the next update ;-)

but Serato i'm finding it easier to DJ with serato for the response + Library management...it's easier to find tracks :-)
SH3PARD 6:41 PM - 29 January, 2013
Tonight I'm going to think about this .. I hope its just a waiting game.
Asu 12:03 AM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
Tonight I'm going to think about this .. I hope its just a waiting game.

yeah man don't sell...i know what u mean with the slight drift...just pitch bend it ...

it usually just requires a slight bend + or - i wouldn't sell for this issue cause the next update may fix it...then you'll regret while the guy you sold to will be all smiles lol...i do this all the time even though i was used to traktor beat locking tracks tightly.so in a way traktor makes u lazy...pitch bending is a DJs job lol
SH3PARD 12:12 AM - 30 January, 2013
LOL u do have a very valid point ..

lets see what the next few hours bring
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:34 PM - 30 January, 2013
Hey SiB & others,

Quote:
Guys there's no problem with beat grids if done correctly...i used to have the same problem,then realized i had the wrong range set for my library...so i set it to 68-135 (Hip hop & most top 40) and beat grids have been 80% accurate...some bpms will be halved or doubled though outside the selected range...double click bpm & fix the bpm for these songs.double or halve it using alt+ up or down arrow...set proper range for this track and drag and drop it on analyze button with beatgrid enabled for proper grids...

Hope this helps you guys :-)

This is good feedback on the beatgrids. They are not always correct because of the start point or the fluctuation of the bpm. Adjustment can sometimes be an important part of managing your library. The grids should be saved to your files ID3 tags once adjustments have been made so you don't have to do them again. I know this isn't always the best for people with large libraries however beat grids are based on the mathematics or division of the bpm of the track there for if the track is not quantized when produced or the down marker is not picked up correctly this can lead to the Beatgrids being slightly out after analyzing.

We will continue to look for ways of improving this and hope to get it optimal in the future however so of these variables will mean that some Beat Grids will always need adjustment.

Warm Regards
Dave W
readydestroy 11:57 PM - 30 January, 2013
Dave thanks for the reply! Coming from the world of Traktor and briefly in the Cross DJ Mixvibes world I feel the beat grids for Serato could be better. The other systems don't seem to calculate tempo then divide but rather look for beats through out the song. With the other systems I rarely had to adjust a beat grid but with Serato it is more often than not I have to adjust the beat grid. Hope you all can improve this because I love Serato and my DDJ-SX with the video plugin its a great system just takes lots more work to make sure my sets are always perfect. Again thanks!
SiB 8:21 AM - 31 January, 2013
Thanks for all the replies; good to know I'm not alone. The frustrating thing is the consistency with which my beat grids are out - that makes it so easy to fix!! If, in the options, there was a simple override feature which enabled me to shift the grid by the same amount by default or every track analysis then problem would be 99% solved.
Serato, Support
David Wood 8:32 PM - 4 February, 2013
Thanks for that feedback guys. I'll pass on the info and suggestions to our product team for consideration.

Regards
Dave W
AXs 5:21 AM - 9 February, 2013
I've been having the same problem with the beat grid since i got the DDJ-SX. Judging from Dave W answer to our problem it seems that Serato is not trying to do anything about the beat grid issues. I guess we're S.O.L. Oh well, I've been looking at Traktor... My 30 days is not up at Guitar Center so I'm thinking about returning the DDJ-SX because without beat grid i won't be able to us the sp-6 which is one of the reason i bought the DDJ-SX.

DJ Intro beat grid worked better than Serato DJ. I'm disappointed in Serato.
powder 8:42 AM - 21 February, 2013
A lot of people will prefer Traktor controllers like Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4 over controllers using Serato DJ like Numark NS6 because of issues like this.

I was really happy when Serato DJ came out but I am very disappointed because of the audio analysis. Traktor is doing a much better job here!
AXs 1:22 AM - 22 February, 2013
I hope Serato doesn't try to charge us a fee for a upgrade that may fix our problem.
I've seen it happen before where companies cut off the free upgrades only to charge for the upgrade that fixes all the major problems that everyone is having. When the unit should have been working correctly out of the door. BEWARE!!!! I feel greed coming on..
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:32 AM - 22 February, 2013
That will not be the case AXs. I wouldn't worry about that.
Quote:
We will continue to look for ways of improving this and hope to get it optimal in the future however so of these variables will mean that some Beat Grids will always need adjustment.
My answer is clear, we are in the business of development and will continue to develop beatgrids and hopefully they'll be better and better as we roll along in the future. They also do work if you set them up right, granted there is a bit more work with some tracks involved.

Regards
Dave W
AXs 3:07 AM - 25 February, 2013
Quote:
That will not be the case AXs. I wouldn't worry about that.
Quote:
My answer is clear, we are in the business of development and will continue to develop beatgrids and hopefully they'll be better and better as we roll along in the future. They also do work if you set them up right, granted there is a bit more work with some tracks involved.

Regards
Dave W

Cool. Do Ya'll thing
Seahawks 2:27 AM - 4 March, 2013
I find the BPM detecting consistently inaccurate. It only works well with some genres.
Johnny Cinco 6:43 PM - 9 March, 2013
Beat-grid analysis has come a long way and is far better in Serato DJ than it is in Itch. I think the point here is that it is a tool "just like any other tool/bell or whistle" to help you better master your craft, however, it still requires some human intervention we call mixing or keeping the tracks on beat. I have been a DJ for long time and can tell you I wouldn't want my software to be able to do everything for me.....because at that point you just become another tech DJ with no real DJ skills.....just my opinion on what I see happining these days.
SiB 11:10 PM - 17 March, 2013
Well, I've spent the last few days preparing some sets, and I got so frustrated with having to realign the beat grids on all my tracks that I just re-analysed all the tracks I wanted to play and had a go a letting Serato DJ just do it's thing and..... well, the beat grids do seem to work!

The problem here is that when one track is significantly out, in other words it's just not the start point thats wrong but the BPM across the whole track, I've been adjusting the beat grids manually.

The issue (and I mentioned this in an earlier post) is that the initial offset if wrong. When you try to align the track so that the vertical bar on the grid lines up with the actual beat it it's different to the default grid on all the other tracks. Serato generally positions the beat grid 2 minor clicks to the left of the actual beat.

I've now been leaving the default grids in place and mixing (albeit with the odd minor adjustment which is to be expected) and it works well. So my issue is, for example, where I accidentally delete the grid and I want to set it manually, if I line it up with the beat (the high point in the wave form) then it's out.

So, my solution, as I said before, would be to allow users to set a default offset for the first grid setting when doing the standard analysis.

Incidentally, I'm using a Mac... is anyone experiencing these issues using Windows?
RodrigoVolta 4:05 AM - 18 March, 2013
Wow!

This discussion is old... since Serato 1.8 (Pioneer DDJ-S1) the Beatgrid is poor, as well MasterTempo (Key) algorythm and others issues that was very often discussed in forum until now nothing has been done to correct this.

Serato DJ is coming to DDJ-S1 controllers and I am absolutely certain that the old problems already discussed in the forum will not be fixed... Who owns the DDJ-S1 knows that Pitch LEDs do not light up anymore (and Incredibly, the DDJ-SX them also do not work) and yet no one did anything to fix/solve this.

Meanwhile, we are here waiting, waiting and waiting for solutions that never come...
RodrigoVolta 4:14 AM - 18 March, 2013
Mac and Windows difference: Mac improve waveform smooth acceleration and Windows no! The problems/issues is the same.

To solve Beatgrid align problem: Use 'SimpleSync' instead 'SmartSync' and disable Beatgrid! Until Serato staff fix it, forget beatgrid, it's very poor!

Use the beat-matching bars to align songs!

Sorry, but SYNC button is to bedroom DJs!

:-)
SiB 9:24 PM - 20 March, 2013
Quote:

Hey, I did my time with the old 1210's.... I LOVE my SYNC button!! :)
RodrigoVolta 9:32 PM - 20 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Hey, I did my time with the old 1210's.... I LOVE my SYNC button!! :)

Please do not get me wrong, I did not offend anyone! It was just a joke! ;-)

Is that the only valid Beatgrid more for who uses Sync. I sometimes use the Sync button yes, I confess, but do not use Beatgrid because it is very inaccurate.

Can you use the sync without Beatgrid perfectly and I think it works very well. Makes a test!
SiB 9:39 PM - 20 March, 2013
Quote:

Hey, taken as a joke, of course!! :) I have to confess I guess I would be classed as a bedroom DJ, but I'm really working hard at my mixes and hoping to be playing live by the end of the year. Just trying to reach that state of perfection first!!

For someone like me who's less experienced the beat grids are very useful, but I'll try what you said and report back.
RodrigoVolta 9:48 PM - 20 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Hey, taken as a joke, of course!! :) I have to confess I guess I would be classed as a bedroom DJ, but I'm really working hard at my mixes and hoping to be playing live by the end of the year. Just trying to reach that state of perfection first!!

For someone like me who's less experienced the beat grids are very useful, but I'll try what you said and report back.

Cool!

Enable 'SimpleSync' instead 'SmartSync' and test it using Sync button.
I like to use waveform in vertical-center mode. It's more easy to sync!

Good luck!

;-)
SiB 9:59 PM - 20 March, 2013
Quote:
Cool!

Good luck!

I'll give the SimpleSync a go. Already using the vertical-center mode.... you're right, it's way better.
RodrigoVolta 10:04 PM - 20 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Cool!

Good luck!

I'll give the SimpleSync a go. Already using the vertical-center mode.... you're right, it's way better.

:-)
Jobushwick 10:25 PM - 20 March, 2013
Yes Beatgrid is off. I just make the adjustment by ear and go with the flow.
Also being a Traktor user- Traktor has improved greatly on analyzing beat grids. Virtual DJ also does a good job.

Serato! PLEASE keep up development! Always room for improvement on this!
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:29 AM - 21 March, 2013
Hey Guys,

We'll keep you updated on further developments on the Beat Grids. Thanks for the feedback guys, i'll close this thread for now, feel free to reopen if you have any further issues.

Regards
Dave W
SiB 1:43 AM - 21 March, 2013
Dave W - Don't close my thread until this is fixed. Many people have spent a lot of money on hardware, they need answers. I have sent you a PM.
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:51 AM - 21 March, 2013
Hey SiB,

Happy to keep the thread open as long as you like. Unfortunately I can't give you any updates on Beat Grids at this stage. However if anything changes i'll keep you updated.

Regards
Dave W
SiB 1:53 AM - 21 March, 2013
Ok, much appreciated. Like I said in my PM, if you want to connect remotely to my Mac to see the issues then I'm happy to assist.
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:58 AM - 21 March, 2013
I have read your thread a number of times and you have explained your concerns. They have been noted and hopefully the Product team will take them into consideration in future development work.
DJ Wizdom 6:31 PM - 25 April, 2013
Can we start a section on the forum for Beatgrid concerns, gripes and those ever present "are you really a DJ if you use beatgrids comments"? I would like to use the "Slice" mode on the DDJ-SX and you need to use Beatgrids to activate it.