DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

NEW Speaker, QSC K Series Killer?

Joee 9:23 PM - 24 January, 2013
just came across this new speaker from ev, as many of you new i'm very fond of electro voice speakers

just thought i'd share, it looks like ev is trying to take qsc k series under!!!!

-----> www.electrovoice.com
DJDaveOtt 9:42 PM - 24 January, 2013
I'll keep my QSC's

Same 1000w specs, but QSC is 4db higher

QSC has similar settings with ext sub, normal, deep, and flat/vocal boost

No RCA in. You never know when you may need it

Can't tell if the XLR link out is pre or post. Hope it's switchable, but I don't see anything about that

I don't see a remote gain...useful for installs I suppose but not a big deal to me

It may sound stupid to you, but I don't like where the top carry handle is..doesn't look balanced like the QSC. Carry them a few times and you'll know what I mean

QSC has proven their product to be legit

I'm sure they are great speakers, but I see nothing to make me want to order them and I doubt they'll take the k series under
DJ MDX 9:50 PM - 24 January, 2013
Quote:
I'll keep my QSC's

I'm sure they are great speakers, but I see nothing to make me want to order them and I doubt they'll take the k series under

+1

QSC has one of the best warranty's in the industry.
DJDaveOtt 9:54 PM - 24 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I'll keep my QSC's

+1

QSC has one of the best warranty's in the industry.

I'll take your word for it..I've never had to use it!
dj_soo 11:50 PM - 24 January, 2013
I don't like the trend of putting LCD displays in thr back of speakers (that weird cube-shaped mackie speaker has me too) just seems like something else that could go wrong..
DJ GaFFle 12:03 AM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
I don't like the trend of putting LCD displays in thr back of speakers (that weird cube-shaped mackie speaker has me too) just seems like something else that could go wrong..

+1
Dj Nyce 12:35 AM - 25 January, 2013
nice weight, looks atheistically pleasing, numbers look good.

i'm not feeling the lcd on the back tho. something that can break.

no locking iec socket.

how they sound and price will be important here.

also nobody is messing with qsc when it comes to the warranty. if ev wants to contend with qsc they need to step their game up in that area.
sixxx 12:38 AM - 25 January, 2013
I guess you guys don't like the LCD because of the vibration... otherwise I would say no problem as many quality amps have LCD's and they don't go bad. Of course, they don't vibrate like a speaker would. :|

nm
Dj Nyce 1:15 AM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
I guess you guys don't like the LCD because of the vibration... otherwise I would say no problem as many quality amps have LCD's and they don't go bad. Of course, they don't vibrate like a speaker would. :|

nm

this
pdidy 1:25 AM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:

nm

No, Its because speaker are not packed away in strong protective amp racks and their surfaces get bumped and scratched when moved. Even speaker covers wont protect an LCD.
sixxx 1:26 AM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

nm

No, Its because speaker are not packed away in strong protective amp racks and their surfaces get bumped and scratched when moved. Even speaker covers wont protect an LCD.

I doubt the speaker would get hit where the LCD has been placed. To me, I would say vibration would pose a bigger problem.
sixxx 1:27 AM - 25 January, 2013
and learn to take care of your shit for fuck's sake! lol

nm
Joee 1:44 AM - 25 January, 2013
when is ev gonna take there heads out of there @ss & make a ZXA3? a powered version of this speaker------> www.electrovoice.com & a little brother to the zxa5
Culprit 1:49 AM - 25 January, 2013
EV is doing what Yamaha should of did 10 years ago. They are becoming a major contender in the powered speakers market. Will they top QSC? Doubt it, but they will kick Mackie's ass for sure. My sales rep at PSSL says the EV's are selling really well.
Joee 2:25 AM - 25 January, 2013
prices are looking good!!!!!!

www.proaudiostar.com
DJ GaFFle 2:28 AM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
prices are looking good!!!!!!

www.proaudiostar.com

THese must be a step down from the ELX series (aka: Live X). So they're not QSC K-series killers.
sacrilicious 2:28 AM - 25 January, 2013
$499 powered 15" wow. If it sounds like anything else the EV puts out that would be amazing.
Dj Nyce 2:43 AM - 25 January, 2013
$499 ???

i don't see how they can be priced that low and compete with qsc k/kw series or ev zx series.

i will give them a listen tho.
DJ GaFFle 11:34 AM - 25 January, 2013
They may be trying to lock up the entry level speaker market. I thought their Live X (ELX) line was for that target market.
Joee 12:41 PM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
They may be trying to lock up the entry level speaker market. I thought their Live X (ELX) line was for that target market.

this is true, but knowing ev's reputation it may be the best sounding speaker in it's price point
Joee 1:01 PM - 25 January, 2013
it looks like the the live x & zlx both use the same HF & LF drivers, so it my be the same speaker in a new package

zlx drivers

LF Transducer EVS-12K, 300 mm (12 in) Woofer
HF Transducer DH-1K

elx drivers

LF Transducer (1) EVS-12K, 305mm (12") Woofer
HF Transducer DH-1K, 39mm (1.5") Titanium Diaphragm Compression Driver
SG SOUNDS 1:38 PM - 25 January, 2013
The yamaha dxr series are the real qsc k killers and comes with a 7 year warranty...I know alot of people that did the A/B comparisons and switched to the yamaha dxr series..The 48 bit DSP processing is really impressive. The dxr15 sounds like your using subs..Dont take my word for it go to your local dealer and hear them side by side with qsc,ev.jbl ect...
DJ GaFFle 2:02 PM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
it looks like the the live x & zlx both use the same HF & LF drivers, so it my be the same speaker in a new package

zlx drivers

HF Transducer DH-1K

elx drivers

Good research Joee.

Quote:
The yamaha dxr series are the real qsc k killers and comes with a 7 year warranty...I know alot of people that did the A/B comparisons and switched to the yamaha dxr series..The 48 bit DSP processing is really impressive. The dxr15 sounds like your using subs..Dont take my word for it go to your local dealer and hear them side by side with qsc,ev.jbl ect...

I've been hearing good buzz on those speakers. I've always been confused on the DSR vs. DXR line with Yamaha though. Which is the higher end?
SG SOUNDS 2:28 PM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

zlx drivers

HF Transducer DH-1K

elx drivers

Good research Joee.

Quote:

I've been hearing good buzz on those speakers. I've always been confused on the DSR vs. DXR line with Yamaha though. Which is the higher end?

The DSR is the higher end but its more suited for live bands not dj playback..The DXR series is excellent for dj playback...They sound like the NX55P on steroids...Yamaha teamed up with Nexo engineers and came up with this ultra precise 48bit processor for high definition sound...The louder you crank these speakers the better they sound...The reviews are everywhere check them out for your self or go to your local dealer and you will see what all the hype is about.
Joee 2:53 PM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

zlx drivers

HF Transducer DH-1K

elx drivers

Good research Joee.

thank you sir
Joee 2:54 PM - 25 January, 2013
damm typo, ^^^ thank you sir
Discobee 6:46 PM - 25 January, 2013
I really just like Riddimnblues' avatar.
Asu 7:01 PM - 19 April, 2013
Was thinking about these ZLX but i've made up my mind on the DXR 12....7 year warranty and stays clear all the way up up up....K12 killer for real + and extra year of warranty.

$1200 a pair ain't bad at all for the quality you get...if you don't wanna use subs the DXR 15 is crazy deep ;-)
Rebelguy 11:03 PM - 19 April, 2013
I have heard from a source that the first batch of the EVs got recalled. I did not hear the reason. This info is from a Guitar Center employee so it could be complete BS.
DJ GaFFle 11:39 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
I have heard from a source that the first batch of the EVs got recalled. I did not hear the reason. This info is from a Guitar Center employee so it could be complete BS.

At those low prices, it may be hard to keep quality control in the People's Republic. (nm)
Culprit 11:39 PM - 19 April, 2013
those yamaha's look dope. I am in the market for new active tops and bottoms
Taipanic 2:48 AM - 20 April, 2013
Quote:

From what I saw EV post, the wire that sends power to light up the logo on the front of the speaker is too long in the first batch. Won't cause any working issues but can rattle against the woofer. EV is repairing those, I believe.
HeySoundGuy 9:25 AM - 22 April, 2013
The real k series killer is their own spec sheet it's a straight lie to make DJs think That they are getting a 1000 watt main speaker, WRONG it's a 550w-600w speaker at BEST!! to save money QSC put 2 500w amps in the k series, (nothing wrong with that smart business move.) problem is this: there is 2 500w amps inside the main, one for the HF driver and one for the LF driver, power rating is measured/calculated with both amps at full power which is 1,000w. BUT BUT BUT there's no way in hell that 500w is being sent to the tweeter, it would explode! So 500w goes to the woofer and maybe 50-75w goes to the tweeter. So to all of you that think you have a 1,000w main, guess what....you don't. And to further prove that you don't, and if you still believe that you do have a 1,000w speaker do this simple test, take 2 of your mains and plug them into a 15amp breaker, if you try to pull 2,000w from a 15amp breaker the breaker will trip. Your speakers will begin to fail before you even get to 750w per speaker and the breaker won't trip.
Asu 1:14 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
The real k series killer is their own spec sheet it's a straight lie to make DJs think That they are getting a 1000 watt main speaker, WRONG it's a 550w-600w speaker at BEST!! to save money QSC put 2 500w amps in the k series, (nothing wrong with that smart business move.) problem is this: there is 2 500w amps inside the main, one for the HF driver and one for the LF driver, power rating is measured/calculated with both amps at full power which is 1,000w. BUT BUT BUT there's no way in hell that 500w is being sent to the tweeter, it would explode! So 500w goes to the woofer and maybe 50-75w goes to the tweeter. So to all of you that think you have a 1,000w main, guess what....you don't. And to further prove that you don't, and if you still believe that you do have a 1,000w speaker do this simple test, take 2 of your mains and plug them into a 15amp breaker, if you try to pull 2,000w from a 15amp breaker the breaker will trip. Your speakers will begin to fail before you even get to 750w per speaker and the breaker won't trip.

i think it's more like 500W to the woofer and 80W rms to the tweeter....i've worked with the high frequency driver in the qsc and it peaks out at 150-160ish

so real numbers should have been 500rms + 80rms = 580rms (1160peak) which is almost what the DXR says and i belive those numbers more easily than K12.

Anyhow the DXR tuning also did make it sound way better than the QSC
DJ GaFFle 2:11 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

From what I saw EV post, the wire that sends power to light up the logo on the front of the speaker is too long in the first batch. Won't cause any working issues but can rattle against the woofer. EV is repairing those, I believe.

I have heard this confirmed from my Sam Ash sales guy. He said their batch of ZLX's was not affected though. I'd be wary of a dirt cheap line with all these fangled features. Corners were cut somewhere in production and build quality and as a professional DJ, I don't roll like that.

(nm)
haze324 6:09 PM - 22 April, 2013
Curious to give these a listen. I grabbed a pair of ELX112P's for about 450.00 a piece a while back....grant it these are not DXR or QSC's but at that price point they are very competitive for how they sound. Wondering how these compare to the ELX and with the price being that low, I'd imagine these are meant to compete with Thumps, Berhinger, etc. and perhaps will be the best in it's class.

Wonder if the ELX are any better or what you get for a little higher price.
Asu 1:19 AM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:
Curious to give these a listen. I grabbed a pair of ELX112P's for about 450.00 a piece a while back....grant it these are not DXR or QSC's but at that price point they are very competitive for how they sound. Wondering how these compare to the ELX and with the price being that low, I'd imagine these are meant to compete with Thumps, Berhinger, etc. and perhaps will be the best in it's class.

Wonder if the ELX are any better or what you get for a little higher price.

should sound about the same,this to me seems like a re-packaged ELX but with a Z,same drivers,same 1000 watts,amp seems different with hopefully better tuning....the speaker does look very pro-like i'll give it that.

My prediction is EV is going to cut the ELX out completely! i will give them a listen though,i've been impressed by EV SX300 and ZXA5 which i currently own.
DJ GaFFle 1:27 AM - 23 April, 2013
You might not be too far off with the thought of them eliminating the ELX line. The down side of the ELX's were the thin grills and easy-to-chip enclosure paint.
Asu 1:41 AM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:
You might not be too far off with the thought of them eliminating the ELX line. The down side of the ELX's were the thin grills and easy-to-chip enclosure paint.

Exactly Gaffle,this new ZLX eliminates those problems since its made of the same Polypropylene material as the SX300 or ZXA5 not only making it lighter but also solving grill and paint chipping issues.Grill seems to be of a stronger gauge.

It doesn't however seem to be bi-amplified! but it does have potential and in this economy,EV is gonna move alot of units...you can get a price match all the way down to $700-$749 for a pair of powered 12s!!!

That's good business if you ask me! If the speaker turns out to be reliable and good sounding,the other guys will be forced to cut their prices which is good for us :-)
XENGS 12:58 PM - 23 April, 2013
Both the ZLX-12 and the ELX-112 (Passive Versions) cost around 300 Euros. Whereas the ZLX amp costs 100 Euros, the Live-X one costs more than the speaker itself!
My point? The passive versions would sound identical, but the amplifiers used in the Live-X series are way better. Maybe the amps in the ZLX distort and clip a lot (And that may be the reason they included a way-cheaper-than-an-amp DSP chip?).
DJ GaFFle 1:23 PM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:
Both the ZLX-12 and the ELX-112 (Passive Versions) cost around 300 Euros. Whereas the ZLX amp costs 100 Euros, the Live-X one costs more than the speaker itself!
My point? The passive versions would sound identical, but the amplifiers used in the Live-X series are way better. Maybe the amps in the ZLX distort and clip a lot (And that may be the reason they included a way-cheaper-than-an-amp DSP chip?).

Another reason to be wary and not buy w/o hearing them first. If I were in the market for the ZLX series, I'd run 'em through the different music types and at loud volumes to get a gauge on how they sound when close to the limit. No doubt, they look nice and seem to raise the bar on the low-end price segment of DJ gear. Why settle for flea-market style gear with obtrusive logos for cheap, when you can gear that have a respected name brand for cheap.
Asu 10:41 PM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:

How did you comedy this information sir? how do you know the cost of the amp of the ZLX? being $100 more for the powered version doesn't mean that's the cost.they reduce the price to move volumes of speakers.

The amp will cost more than $100 to replace even with the ZLX because they have to pay a local tech to fix it or install a new one instead of sending the speaker back to china.

Remember the local amp has tax on it,transportation costs and a highly paid tech to fix it assuming you're out of warranty....if not then no worries.

we should listen to them then go from there...
Asu 10:43 PM - 23 April, 2013
i meant come by not comedy lol
caliguy 6:40 AM - 11 May, 2013
I have QSC K and KW series speakers,
I have the JBL PRX600 series speakers,
I have the EV ELX series speakers,...
and NOW I have the EV ZLX 12P and 15P speakers.

Based on previous side by side sound comparisons, the ELX (Live X) sounded better, more natural and louder with more headroom than the K12, when you open up the gain on the EV ELX.

The K12 gain max's out at 9 o'clock if you turn up the bass on your mixer after that point they distort and clip. The EV ELX open and sound better when you crank more volume and open them up to 1:30 to 2 o'clock on the volume and on the channel gain.

I always thought the greatest about the EV Live X series for their cost, looks, and lightness, until I finally got the EV ZLX....WOW!!!!!

I thought the ZLX would be a step down from the ELX because of the plastic cabinet vs wooden cabinet. I also figured there would be a loss of bass presence and quality for this price...DAMN WAS I SO WRONG!

The EV ZLX that I received are the May issue speakers that were corrected for the little light wire.

The sound is FANTASTIC, accurate, warm, solid, with super deep bass, and pristine crystal clear highs. They are incredibly loud, louder and clearer than anything at this point and at this price. They sound like wooden cabinets but are ridiculously light.

The ZLX 12P outperform and sound way way WAY better than the K12. The 15P is a whole other animal. The bass response on the 12P is powerful but the 15P is even deeper and sounds like youre running a separate sub with them. The 15P bass is just awesome.

They look great and were well thought out. THE TOP HANDLE WAS PURPOSELY PLACED PERFECTLY FOR A BALANCED WEIGHT.

I love the LCD display, because its super easy to maneuver through the menu and you have so many easy but extremely effective adjustable DSP settings.

I have allot of respect for QSC and I like the K12, they are road warriors, but after about an hour, the mids get on my nerves, too stretched. And the sound of the K12 doesnt have that natural tone that you get from wooden cabinets. This is definitely NOT the case with the ZLX. Besides that famous EV crystal clear highs, they are warm and well rounded, and the lows, vocals and highs are very distinguishable yet uniform. The bass is incredible.

My unbiased opinion is that these ZLX are definitely the new standard, and at this price, nothing can touch them. The price on these based on the sound quality and build should be at least $1400 for the pair of 12P and $1700 for the 15P based on the competitors.
Rebelguy 3:57 PM - 11 May, 2013
It's great to hear that they are working for you. I had a different opinion of their sound quality when I heard them but for the price they are tough to beat.
Discobee 7:00 PM - 12 May, 2013
Yes, I agree the EVs sound better the louder they go, I love my ELX115Ps. But I just picked up a pair of QSC KW153 3-ways and boy oh boy those are something else too! Either brand is pretty awesome in my book.
4mydawgz 10:39 PM - 13 May, 2013
Quote:
It's great to hear that they are working for you. I had a different opinion of their sound quality when I heard them but for the price they are tough to beat.

sounds like he works for them.
Asu 1:56 PM - 15 May, 2013
i think it's the HF driver qsc uses...it tends to get harsh the louder you play...it can be tamed for those that know how to properly EQ but EV speakers have always sounded good right out of the box even without any EQ.

When it comes to amps however,I only use QSC.

with the current tough economy around the world,EV ZLX is a win win for everyone...just don't expect them to get as loud as the DXR or K/KW series.
caliguy 1:48 AM - 19 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

sounds like he works for them.

Not at all. Im just really impressed and wanted to be real and share the experience with whoever was interested in knowing.

Quote:
i think it's the HF driver qsc uses...it tends to get harsh the louder you play...it can be tamed for those that know how to properly EQ but EV speakers have always sounded good right out of the box even without any EQ.

I agree EQ can help here, but like you said EV just sounds good straight. The secret is their horns. Their supposed to have the best sounding concert horns in the industry. Any cabinet can give you some bass, but for highs and clarity, thats where you see the difference between one brand to the next.
Joee 1:10 PM - 3 August, 2013
so heres pdiddy results for doing a speaker shoot out, qsc k12 vs ev zlx15p a 15 vs a 12 i know, but if a company can make a 15 sound better & be cheaper than the other company 12, than i'm gonna say it is a qsc killer

as per piddys test
clarity - ev
bass - ev ( the ev is a 15in vs a qsc 12in so its no surprise)
spl - qsc
Portability - qsc
mixer section - qsc
DSP control with presets - ev
build quality - qsc
bang for buck - ev
Warranty - QSC

qsc look out ev is coming for you with you harsh highs , i say harsh i mean at high spl when being driven at full volume
DJ GOOK 2:12 PM - 4 August, 2013
so basically what im reading is that a qsc k12 is better then the ev12 and almost beat a ev15
Joee 2:33 PM - 4 August, 2013
if thats how you want to read it, but in short no

clarity - ev
bass - ev
DSP - ev
bang for buck - ev

Warranty - QSC, doesn't matter to me i know how to use my gear
mixer section - qsc, doesn't matter to me i can use a external mixing board
Portability - qsc, the ev is only 5lbs more
spl - qsc, you got me there, but for the price of the k12 i could get 2 12's & 2 15's ev's than spl is not a factor
build quality - qsc, you got me there to

so in all areas that matter, which is "sound QUALITY" it looks like the ev's win, at full vol. the qsc is harsh not the ev

$1,700 for two qsc k12's

$1,800 for 2 ev zlx15p's & 2 zlx12p's

WINNER ev
DJ GOOK 3:07 PM - 4 August, 2013
Im just saying if it was compared to a 12in ev speaker the qsc k12 would win. what about the comparison to a qsc 15 to the ev 15
Joee 3:26 PM - 4 August, 2013
^ most deff you wright there, but the 15 qsc is $2,400 a pair vs $1,000 for ev
DJ GOOK 3:28 PM - 4 August, 2013
is those ev stable like the qsc or we havent reach that point yet
Joee 4:02 PM - 4 August, 2013
to soon to say, but ev is know for quality
caliguy 11:11 PM - 30 August, 2013
Quote:
so basically what im reading is that a qsc k12 is better then the ev12 and almost beat a ev15

Nope. The EV ZLX12P (12 inch) will kick the K12's but all the way around in performance ( bass, clarity, brilliance, intelligibility, DSP, EQ, portability, etc.) not to mention the price!

The ZLX12P and the ZLX15P are both awesome and equally powerful bass-wise. The difference is not the amount of bass, its the sound of the bass. The ZLX12P has a punchier powerful bass and the ZLX15P has a lower sounding bass tone. Does that make sense?

Quote:

So far zero complaints, to the contrary nothing but compliments. QSC is already proven itself as far as road worthiness.

Quote:

Remember, Electro Voice has been around since 1930 and is the number one concert sound reinforcement company. They rule the concert / stadium industry world wide.
No company is as widely used in stadiums and concerts as EV.
Culprit 11:29 PM - 30 August, 2013
yep,

you ain't got me switchin

nope
JDforKing 12:00 AM - 31 August, 2013
I can honestly say, i like the zlx12p, but you can't even compare this speaker to the k12. Output wise the k12 is on another level. The zlx sound great but limits very fast. I did a comparison to my zxa1, yamaha dxr8, and my fbt promaxx12a and the zlx limited the fastest out of the bunch. Sounds very good though. I think it will be best used as a monitor.
Joee 12:02 AM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Nope. The EV ZLX12P (12 inch) will kick the K12's but all the way around in performance ( bass, clarity, brilliance, intelligibility, DSP, EQ, portability, etc.) not to mention the price!

The ZLX12P and the ZLX15P are both awesome and equally powerful bass-wise. The difference is not the amount of bass, its the sound of the bass. The ZLX12P has a punchier powerful bass and the ZLX15P has a lower sounding bass tone. Does that make sense?

Quote:

So far zero complaints, to the contrary nothing but compliments. QSC is already proven itself as far as road worthiness.

Quote:

Remember, Electro Voice has been around since 1930 and is the number one concert sound reinforcement company. They rule the concert / stadium industry world wide.
No company is as widely used in stadiums and concerts as EV.

i'm the biggest ev fan & my impression on was different, i got to spend time with it at the expo, it does sound good but not great, this is the best entry level dj speaker on the market , but the elx's sound better
Joee 12:03 AM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
I can honestly say, i like the zlx12p, but you can't even compare this speaker to the k12. Output wise the k12 is on another level. The zlx sound great but limits very fast. I did a comparison to my zxa1, yamaha dxr8, and my fbt promaxx12a and the zlx limited the fastest out of the bunch. Sounds very good though. I think it will be best used as a monitor.

this right here the zxa1 got louder than the zlx12p
the_black_one 12:04 AM - 31 August, 2013
elx sound good

NM NH
the_black_one 12:05 AM - 31 August, 2013
elx sound waaaaaaaaaaay better than any k series top ....... notice i said better and did not mention anything about loud.

NM NH
Joee 12:10 AM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
elx sound waaaaaaaaaaay better than any k series top ....... notice i said better and did not mention anything about loud.

NM NH

this right here better sound is always BETTER than loud sound, i have all the elx's but i think i will be selling all of them to get more rcf's, i just got 312a's & sub 705-as
the_black_one 12:18 AM - 31 August, 2013
RCF = Italian made .... good shit

NM NH
the_black_one 12:20 AM - 31 August, 2013
i think for some of us that are lucky and fortunate to have a small,medium,large rigs some speakers are better than others in different situations

NM NH
caliguy 12:20 AM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
I can honestly say, i like the zlx12p, but you can't even compare this speaker to the k12. Output wise the k12 is on another level.

I personally own, use and sell K12, ZLX12P, ELX112P, JBL PRX, Yamaha DXR, etc.

I have already done all the testing myself, im not going by what others say.

The K12 may sound louder TO YOU but at what cost? You loose clarity and accurate bass. The K12 distort at the higher levels. The ZLX, if used correctly AT UNIFORM SOUND, are way more powerful than the K12.

If EV were to tune the ZLX similiar to the K12, TO YOUR ear, the ZLX would be better at that point, but it would no longer put out UNIFORM sound at ALL levels.

Crank up both the ZLX12P and the K12, and the K12 will start to sound squeaky and distort, while the EV continues to give you beautiful crisp uniform sound. If you crank up the bass, you have to pull back the gain on the K12 to 9 O'clock. On the ZLX you can leave the gain at 12 and even give it a 10+ decibel boost and they are ridiculously loud but clean and undistorted and the bass sounds great.

Now if you're comparing based on bass, make sure that on the EV you have the DSP switched to " CLUB" setting for a fair comparison.
the_black_one 12:24 AM - 31 August, 2013
EV and RCF are more in the same ball park in the high end of the spectrum .... sorry QSC

NM NH
caliguy 12:29 AM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
EV and RCF are more in the same ball park in the high end of the spectrum .... sorry QSC

NM NH

I would have to agree. RCF makes great stuff , just be careful with some of their newer model lines, that may not be as good as their traditional Italian made stuff.

HOWEVER, I have to LOVE and support QSC becuase they are MADE IN THE USA and they back their equipment with the best warranty in the industry (6 years). And I believe QSC amplifiers are the best, most reliable amps in the world, in their class. And that's what gives their speakers an edge.
caliguy 12:32 AM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
HOWEVER, I have to LOVE and support QSC becuase they are MADE IN THE USA

Let me clarify, the KW series is Made in the USA, the K series is not, but both are 6 years warranty.
the_black_one 12:42 AM - 31 August, 2013
the problem with the QSC line of all their tops is when you push them they sound extremely harsh.

NM NH
Joee 12:50 AM - 31 August, 2013
^^ it seems like a lot of people think that loud = quality sound, the speaker gets loud & they say man listen to that WOW

loud doesn't = quality sound, just cause a speaker can get louder doesn't mean it's better

give me a better sounding box over a louder one any day of the week!!!!!!!!
caliguy 12:50 AM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
the problem with the QSC line of all their tops is when you push them they sound extremely harsh.

NM NH

That's a good way to put it.
caliguy 12:51 AM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
loud doesn't = quality sound, just cause a speaker can get louder doesn't mean it's better

Exactly
Joee 12:56 AM - 31 August, 2013
back to topic the zlx is a good speaker for what you pay $330 thats my price shipped, but you would be better off buying the elx
SG SOUNDS 3:00 AM - 31 August, 2013
The yamaha's DXR 12 sounds better and sweeter than all of them...even at high volume levels the yamys sound sweet....
Rebelguy 2:31 PM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:

HOWEVER, I have to LOVE and support QSC becuase they are MADE IN THE USA and they back their equipment with the best warranty in the industry (6 years).

Yamaha is 7 years.
Joee 3:08 PM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
HOWEVER, I have to LOVE and support QSC becuase they are MADE IN THE USA and they back their equipment with the best warranty in the industry (6 years).

Yamaha is 7 years.

the yamaha dxr's sound good, but i did a side by side comparison in my house with

yamaha dxr8
&
rcf 310a

the rcf sounds better on the highs smother top end vs the dxr
JDforKing 3:57 PM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yamaha is 7 years.

the yamaha dxr's sound good, but i did a side by side comparison in my house with

yamaha dxr8
&
rcf 310a

I agree, i had the rcf 310a. Got rid of them and now i have a pair of dxr8. I really didn't like the look of the rcf 310a. Its funny we all have these conversations about speakers, and in the end it all boils down to preference. Some of us are fortunate enough to have multiple sets to compare and contrast. I still really enjoy forum conversations about these topics.
JDforKing 3:59 PM - 31 August, 2013
I forgot to state, i really like the sound of the yamaha dxf series. I am working on trying to get a pair of the big boys as we speak. EV ZXA5
SG SOUNDS 5:09 PM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yamaha is 7 years.

yamaha dxr8
&
rcf 310a

Side by side with the DXR10 is a different story...Im really impress with the DXR series and with the 7 year warranty (best in the business) you cant go wrong....
dj_soo 9:02 PM - 31 August, 2013
I'm debating between the rcf 310s and the Yamaha dxr10s right now. The dxrs are pricier, but with the warranty, it's probably worth it...

Rcf sound real nice tho...
Joee 9:08 PM - 31 August, 2013
i think warranty is over hyped, has anyone ever had a warranty claim with yamaha, will they fix the speaker/amp module no questions asked

or if something goes wrong will they give you a bs line like well that's not covered under warranty?
HighTopFade 11:52 PM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
The yamaha's DXR 12 sounds better and sweeter than all of them...even at high volume levels the yamys sound sweet....

They're great sounding tops. Nice built in crossover. 7 degrees of tilt on speaker stands. Highly recommended. I use a padded Rubbermaid bin to transport them. Cabinet looks like it scratches and damages easily.

Can be had at 0% Interest for 24 Months.

www.sweetwater.com
SG SOUNDS 2:04 AM - 1 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

They're great sounding tops. Nice built in crossover. 7 degrees of tilt on speaker stands. Highly recommended. I use a padded Rubbermaid bin to transport them. Cabinet looks like it scratches and damages easily.

Can be had at 0% Interest for 24 Months.

www.sweetwater.com

Absolutely correct the only negatives on these speakers is the finish they do scratch very easy...speaker covers highly recommended...
SG SOUNDS 2:20 AM - 1 September, 2013
Quote:
i think warranty is over hyped, has anyone ever had a warranty claim with yamaha, will they fix the speaker/amp module no questions asked

or if something goes wrong will they give you a bs line like well that's not covered under warranty?

We talking about Yamaha here they are a reputed respectable company..never had to bring these speakers in for no repair and ive been abusing them well over a year now...No company would have a 7 year warranty on their speakers unless their confident about their speakers....Yamaha teamed up with nexo engineers in the design of the DXR series..They were able to design a speaker that was capable of putting out a high SPL delivered with stunning clarity and unsurpassed level of reliability...
DJ GaFFle 2:08 PM - 1 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

We talking about Yamaha here they are a reputed respectable company..never had to bring these speakers in for no repair and ive been abusing them well over a year now...No company would have a 7 year warranty on their speakers unless their confident about their speakers....Yamaha teamed up with nexo engineers in the design of the DXR series..They were able to design a speaker that was capable of putting out a high SPL delivered with stunning clarity and unsurpassed level of reliability...

From what I've read, they put more of their foot into the DSR series. You also don't have the finish/blemish issues with them as they are liner painted and wood. One of the clubs I spin at has Yamaha passive tops. For the 8 (off/on) years I've been spinning there, those speakers have never been in for repair.
Discobee 8:20 AM - 18 November, 2013
picked up a cherry condition and lightly used ELX112P for $350 on the local CL today :)