Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Problem with getting sound out of Dell Inspiron 6000

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Dj Konn 12:07 AM - 5 January, 2006
Whatup, I’ve had Serato Scratch for a couple of months now on my pc, had no problems. I just got my brand new Dell Inspiron 6000, everything is hooked up properly but I’m not getting any sound from my speakers… But I get sound from my mixers headphones!

Can anyone help me with this?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 12:30 AM - 5 January, 2006
This definitely has something to do with your mixer/amp. Do you have your amp turned on and connected to your mixer's outputs?
Dj Konn 1:47 AM - 5 January, 2006
I don’t use an amp, I normally use the "line-in" on my pc... but double checking on my laptops spec... It doesn't have a "line-in" it only has speaker and mic connections.

Would you recommend getting a USB sound card?
Konix 2:04 AM - 5 January, 2006
Quote:
Would you recommend getting a USB sound card?

I wouldn't. That'll take away USB bandwith from SSL.

Why don't you just get some speakers? Why would you want to listen on crappy laptop speakers anyway? Better off to just play in the headphones IMO.

But you could try running the mixer out into the mic-in on your laptop. Then check Windows Sound Panel (the little speaker icon) mixer if it will playback the mic-in. My Dell Inspiron 5100 doesn't playback the mic-in on the speakers, only records, but worth a shot.
Dj Konn 2:38 AM - 5 January, 2006
I don’t use laptop speakers, I have a subwoofer with 2 monitors, but the only problem is the connection... It ONLY comes with a crappy 1/8 jack.
Konix 2:48 AM - 5 January, 2006
The speakers have an 1/8" jack? If so, just get a little Y-cable (1/8"->RCA) adaptor. Then plug the speakers to the mixer's master out.
Dj Konn 3:55 AM - 5 January, 2006
I'll try and get one tomorrow... thanx bro
Konix 5:01 AM - 5 January, 2006
No problem. The adaptor looks like this...

www.geocities.com