DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Stanton ST150 modding

DJ Stig 6:13 PM - 17 January, 2013
Hey Guys,
Been browsing this forum for a while and thought it the best place to hopefully find some answers.
I've managed to get a pair of Stanton ST150's with carts n needles for £150. Since I've saved quite a lot of money on them u figure u can get them customized and flight cased so I will have a truly unique setup at home.

I am curious, can the (rubbish) tone arm be removed and replaced with a technics one? Having used both I know the 1200 series has a better feel to it. I want the entire arm assembly replacing, including the raise/lower adjustment wheel,arm rest. Everything.
Also, the plastic buttons need replacing with machined aluminium. I already know that led bulbs and painting of the body is no problem. Just wondered about these other mods.

Thanks guys, looking forward to your replies.
DJguruguts 1:13 PM - 19 June, 2015
I am curious, can the (rubbish) tone arm be removed and replaced with a technics one? Having used both I know the 1200 series has a better feel to it.

Wrong. I don't how long you've been DJing but technics is very overhyped. The tonearms are much better on the Stanton 150's and I'd replace the my mk2's tonearms with them if I could. Everything about the Stanton 150 outshines the the technics. Owning both and having 25+ years with techs I can safely say they are a relic of the past, but people get accustomed to their devices (like when everyone switched from regular button cell phones to smart phones which now seems impossible to go back to) but to anyone that's tried a Stanton 150 and a technics (any model) will tell you, anyone who puts down the Stanton are those who haven't tried it or are afraid to go outside their safe zone.
DJ Guayo 1:45 PM - 19 June, 2015
I've used both and still prefer the technics. Good luck finding replacement parts for the stantons.
Dj Mcwhite 4:27 PM - 19 June, 2015
^ False, stantons use the Sam OEM parts as other turntables.

Someone needs to find a mod to make them lighter.
DJ Guayo 4:50 PM - 19 June, 2015
Well I guess my buddy should have looked harder after he busted his up. Stanton support had quoted him $300-$400 for parts alone.
DJ Irv 6:42 PM - 19 June, 2015
The Stanton STR8-150 arm is damn near skip proof. As long as the bearings are all in good shape and properly adjusted don't spend another cent on the turntables and enjoy the fact you got them for near nothing.
DJ Quartz 6:31 PM - 4 April, 2016
Finally found this thread.

I like the PLX-1000's a lot since my residency got a pair to replace aging 1200mk5's.

I was thinking of switching all my Stanton's out for Pioneer's but...

I've owned 4 x ST-150's for 10+ years now. One set for the studio and one for the road setup.

Here are my biggest gripes right now....

1) Paint Finish
2) Rubber/Plastic finish on the buttons
3) Platter placement
4) Tonearm weights (Aesthetics)

I will touch on #2 right now. Since there the Rane 62 has a billet knob kit, I'm seriously considering teaming up with some people interested and making a billet kit for the ST-150/STR8-150 turntables.

This kit would replace the following:

1) Start/Stop Buttons
2) 33 & 45 Buttons
3) Start & Brake Knobs
4) Reverse button
5) Key Lock Button
6) Pitch Select Button
7) Pitch Lock Buttons
8) Pitch Fader Knob
9) Strobe Light Housing (if possible)

The other mod would be switching the tonearm weights for the new Reloop weights that look very similar to the Technics weights.

I just don't have a part number for those yet, but looking into it.

The other option would be the PLX-1000 weights which aren't bad looking either.
DJ Quartz 7:02 PM - 4 April, 2016
I contacted the Reloop distro to get the part number info. I will post once I have it.

The other mod I would do is recess the platter if it was possible.
DJ Quartz 7:33 PM - 4 April, 2016
Oh shoot I forgot,

10) Target light
DJ Quartz 7:53 PM - 4 April, 2016
My one big question is if there will be a ST/STR8-150mk2.
DJ Quartz 9:00 PM - 4 April, 2016
Well Gibson wrote back and said they have no plans to replace or upgrade the ST/STR8 line.
DJ Quartz 11:07 PM - 4 April, 2016
This is the distributor for Reloop.

www.americanmusicandsound.com

Going to call them tomorrow and see if I can get a part number for those weights.
DJ Quartz 11:10 PM - 4 April, 2016
Sent off an email as well. I noticed the new Reloop 7000 gold edition has a gold version of this weight as well.
DJ Quartz 11:54 PM - 4 April, 2016
Same as the 7000 Silver,

www.reloop.com
HighTopFade 1:21 AM - 5 April, 2016
A lot of these parts SHOULD fit the AT 1240-USB. I hope to pick one up when I run into some cash.
DJ Quartz 1:35 AM - 5 April, 2016
Anybody have a lead about the billet parts? I sent an email to Jared couple times and never heard back.
DJ Quartz 11:45 AM - 5 April, 2016
Got an email from Reloop support, the tonearm weight part # is 218060.
DJ Quartz 11:48 AM - 5 April, 2016
One sec I think they gave me the wrong part #.
DJ Quartz 11:57 AM - 5 April, 2016
I'm verifying if the part # has changed or they just changed the style and kept the same part number.
DJ Quartz 12:59 PM - 5 April, 2016
In case anyone is looking for Stanton parts...

www.fullcompass.com
DJ Quartz 1:32 PM - 5 April, 2016
This is another place, www.parts-express.com

I need new RCA's for my road decks and they got back to me.
DJ Quartz 1:35 PM - 5 April, 2016
I emailed both Full Compass and Parts Express to cross reference the counterweight.

Parts Express has the RCA's they are $5.99 but they have a minimum $25 order policy.

I also did buy some really nice ends to replace the one shorting on one pair. I just didn't want to start hacking and soldering but I might have to just do it already due to accessibility.

The distribution in Canada used to be awesome and I got parts easily before but they have basically switched to Yorkville for distribution and only one main vendor handles their distro which is Long & McQuade.
DJ Quartz 1:50 PM - 5 April, 2016
These are the ends I got to replace the stock ends.

www.rean-connectors.com

nys373-2-Red
nys373-9-White
DJ Quartz 2:24 PM - 5 April, 2016
It looks like Parts Express doesn't carry Stanton parts anymore.
DJ Quartz 2:29 PM - 5 April, 2016
Nevermind, my email was misread by tech support.
DJ Quartz 2:33 PM - 5 April, 2016
They are not able to get Reloop parts.
DJ Quartz 11:02 PM - 5 April, 2016
Well no one can get back to me in a timely manner on the cables, so I will put new ends on them.

I will post pics.
DJ Quartz 3:40 AM - 6 April, 2016
Had to run off to a meeting,

Done... www.facebook.com

I'll swap these onto the studio decks so they last longer maybe.
DJ Quartz 4:36 AM - 6 April, 2016
Finished product,

www.facebook.com
DJ Quartz 5:16 PM - 6 April, 2016
This is not looking good, I went to the Stanton page and started clicking some of their dealer links and they are dead links now.
DJ Quartz 8:57 PM - 6 April, 2016
Anybody have a good source for 90 degree to straight rca cables?
DJ Quartz 9:05 PM - 6 April, 2016
I've only found these thus far, www.exprodirect.com
DJ Quartz 10:31 PM - 6 April, 2016
Remember the original design, www.djservice.com
DJ Quartz 4:10 PM - 7 April, 2016
Good thing I decided to repair my cables. I just got a response back and they told me 4-6 weeks to get them.
DJ Quartz 8:53 PM - 8 April, 2016
Got the info on the new Reloop weights.

The part # is 234957 @ Full Compass, AMS-234957 at American Music Supply.

They're not cheap though, $31.99
DJ Quartz 11:46 AM - 16 February, 2020
Another option for tonearm weights are the ones from the Stanton ST-150M2 decks.
DJ Quartz 3:23 PM - 8 March, 2020
Decided, I'm going to hang onto these guys for awhile.

I might do the following...

- Update tonearm weights.
- Change the led colors

1) Change blue strobe led back to red
2) Change speed leds from blue back to red
3) Change Pitch Lock led to red and 0% indicator led to green
4) Change 8%, 25% and 50% from blue to red, green and yellow
DJ Quartz 6:52 AM - 9 March, 2020
Here is another link for 'Super-OEM' counter weights.

www.instrumentalparts.com
DJ Quartz 8:32 PM - 1 April, 2020
Some humor for the day...

www.facebook.com
DJ Quartz 8:09 PM - 26 November, 2020
Has anybody tried to do the PLX-1000 start/stop button mod?
DJ Quartz 4:51 AM - 3 January, 2021
Found a good price on the newer tonearm weights vs the space age looking ones that
originally came with them.

openformat.com