Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

NS6 and Serato DJ

MixMasterM 8:42 PM - 7 January, 2013
I am considering purchasing an NS6 but I want to make sure that the NS6 will be supported with Serato DJ so I am not stuck with end of line ITCH software.

What's the time line for releasing Serato DJ support for the NS6?
Ragman 8:54 PM - 8 January, 2013
All your questions can be answered in the link below:

serato.com

HINT: I just went to SOFTWARE & PRODUCTS then Serato DJ at the menu above.
DJ J55 4:33 AM - 11 January, 2013
Spring 2013, they don't specify what month in the Spring.
saNppa 8:11 PM - 24 January, 2013
Any Itch 2.X is over all better than current SDJ version with NS6.
Papa Midnight 4:58 AM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:

Considering that the NS6 doesn't support SDJ yet, do tell.
dj lashes 6:35 AM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

+1 how would you know that ???

SDJ look like its gonna be great and that just playing with it in offline mode and seeing it on youtube.
phatbob 11:33 AM - 27 January, 2013
There are some contrast issues with the GUI, and if autoplay is important to you, then currently Serato DJ might not be for you yet.

But in terms of layout and functionality Serato DJ dumps all over Itch from a great height.

I'd love to use my 380 at some small gigs instead of my SX, but until the 380 gets SDJ I just can't. Itch depresses me by comparison now.
dj lashes 1:53 PM - 27 January, 2013
auto play is not so important for me and i must say that feeling of itch depressing me a bit to but more so feeling let down by serato making us wait for sdj, hey bob the SX ive never used one how is it?
Papa Midnight 6:35 PM - 27 January, 2013
phatbob: I don't know if you use a PC, but does SDJ at least correct the large library issue plaguing ITCH on Windows?
saNppa 7:45 PM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

SDJ look like its gonna be great and that just playing with it in offline mode and seeing it on youtube.

How can I know? Maybe, 'cos I have NS6 and DDJ-SX. Since I november got SX, I haven't played a gig with NS6, Some with Twitch and the all others with SX, so it's not I'm new to this thing. SDJ has few upgrades and and many downgrades. There's "only" about twenty things that needs to be fixed. SDJ has better fx's and shows elapsed/remainind time at the same time, but other wise, Itch is (still) better. I truely hope Serato will fix SDJ. That's why It's better SDJ does not yet support NS6 or Twitch. I just feel really bad for those poor bastards who voluntarily bought the lisence for SDJ.

It all depends on do you focus on using the tool or do you love plain hyping. Like those guys who buy 4-channel controllers and then use only two of them.
dj lashes 8:07 PM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How can I know? Maybe, 'cos I have NS6 and DDJ-SX. Since I november got SX, I haven't played a gig with NS6, Some with Twitch and the all others with SX, so it's not I'm new to this thing. SDJ has few upgrades and and many downgrades. There's "only" about twenty things that needs to be fixed. SDJ has better fx's and shows elapsed/remainind time at the same time, but other wise, Itch is (still) better. I truely hope Serato will fix SDJ. That's why It's better SDJ does not yet support NS6 or Twitch. I just feel really bad for those poor bastards who voluntarily bought the lisence for SDJ.

It all depends on do you focus on using the tool or do you love plain hyping. Like those guys who buy 4-channel controllers and then use only two of them.

ns6 is not support by sdj yet so how can "Any Itch 2.X is over all better than current SDJ version with NS6" there is no current sdj version for NS6 so again how could you know or say that?
phatbob 8:49 PM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:
How can I know? Maybe, 'cos I have NS6 and DDJ-SX. Since I november got SX, I haven't played a gig with NS6, Some with Twitch and the all others with SX, so it's not I'm new to this thing. SDJ has few upgrades and and many downgrades. There's "only" about twenty things that needs to be fixed.

Please do give us a list of 'downgrades' that even approaches 20. And I don't mean bugs; Itch has plenty of those too.

As for upgrades, let's see:

Time displays
Cue point displays
Saved loop slot displays
Dramatically better effects
Improved autogain

Every Itch controller has it's own missing features, but now everyone has access to:

Choice of saved loop behaviour
8 cue points
8 saved loops
Full autolooping, by beat length or 1/2 or 2x

All of which is facilitated by the addition of external midi control, which is the best upgrade of all.

Quote:
I just feel really bad for those poor bastards who voluntarily bought the lisence for SDJ.

All those people are Intro, not Itch users. Intro is, as the name implies, very limited.
dj lashes 1:20 AM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
How can I know? Maybe, 'cos I have NS6 and DDJ-SX. Since I november got SX, I haven't played a gig with NS6, Some with Twitch and the all others with SX, so it's not I'm new to this thing. SDJ has few upgrades and and many downgrades. There's "only" about twenty things that needs to be fixed.

Please do give us a list of 'downgrades' that even approaches 20. And I don't mean bugs; Itch has plenty of those too.

As for upgrades, let's see:

Time displays
Cue point displays
Saved loop slot displays
Dramatically better effects
Improved autogain

Every Itch controller has it's own missing features, but now everyone has access to:

Choice of saved loop behaviour
8 cue points
8 saved loops
Full autolooping, by beat length or 1/2 or 2x

All of which is facilitated by the addition of external midi control, which is the best upgrade of all.

Quote:
I just feel really bad for those poor bastards who voluntarily bought the lisence for SDJ.

All those people are Intro, not Itch users. Intro is, as the name implies, very limited.

all the above^^
saNppa 7:17 AM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Once again here's the complete list of things needed to be fixed. There are few things that are inherited from Itch, but this is what SDJ needs to be THE software:

Following things needs to be fixed:

1) (mid) Four deck extended mode and fx's can't be at the same time on a 1366x768 resolution. ITCH could do it! Just make it happen. Since I don't use that much different fx's (mostly echoes), this is mid-level issue... for me.

2) (mid-major) NS6 had own button for Open Prepare. This is where mapping is needed and badly!!! Current shift+Area (toggling through History and Files) is clumsy.

3) (mid) How it should work: Once you open Prepare, if there's any songs, one the lines becomes active (marked as blue). That way you don't have to hassle with back-button. Faster and makes more sense, you know. This is (just) one the reason, why I stayed with ITCH 2.1 instead of 222.

4) (mid) If you were on extended mode (four decks) and opened prepare, the layout changed to Library (this is good). Once you close it, it stays there (this is stupid). ITCH understood to return to right layout. Once again you cause hassling with your drawbacks. Thank God, with keyboard short cuts I can make this stupid behaviour little better.

5) (MAJOR!) Loop section is on DDJ-SX is a major draw back compared to NS6 or Novation Twich. I could easily sacrifice Slicer or Sampler for that. If you wanna make sacrifices, there's one additional way to add the section. Pressing the button of active section would make it unlit and that could be the fifth section - for auto loops. As parameters they could be identical with Loop Rolls, just to keep it simple.

6) (minor) Blue border showing the deck under control doesn't stand out like it should. Yellow and one or two pixels thicker might be better. Getting it worse would need special skills. Not biggie though.

7) (minor) The colour scheme with unplayed (white) and played (gray) files audio files on library ought be vice versa or like it were on ITCH.

8) (major) Loop rolls can't be used inside existing loop without losing the original loop.

9) (mid) Loop Shift shouldn't be under Shift. Parameter buttons should be assigned for that.

10) (mid) "Back" as primary funtion and View as a secondary. You gotta be kidding! Since the browsing knob can be used as a button the Back button is useless.

11) (MAJOR!) On Extended Mode the waveforms are in numeric order (in software display) and the faders (on DDJ-SX) aren't. Mixing these was very stupid move. Get back the same order as was in ITCH. Starting from up: 3,1,2,4. Then they match, then they make sense.

12) (major) Since the loop section is a joke on DDJ-SX (after NS6), you had to made things even worse? Using Loop Rolls changes the lenght of normal Loop that was set.

13) (mid) How well is the lenght of loop shown? Does it stand out in display? FYI: It does not! Should it? Take a wild guess.

14) (minor) Finally the THRU-assinged deck is well shown. Props for that. How about making it show what is it assinged for? Instead "Thru" there could be "Mic", "Line" or "Phono". Not biggie, but most useful, if you mic and an external on the same line.

15) (minor) Mic talk over is way too strong. Shouldn't it be adjustable? [retoric question] At this point it's unusable feature.

16) (major) Dual Deck -mode does not lock pitch fader (for both channels). This pretty much ruins the whole (excellent) idea. Ever heard of live pitch riding on mash ups?

17) (mid) Zero point of the waveform ought to be movable. We are not interested what happened in the past. What lies ahead is more important. That's why showing the past is waste of space.

18) (mid) Bpm readings. In the moon SDJ has current/real bpm and on the edges the original bpm. On a Library view you have just the original bpm, which isn't the truth about what's really going on. I'd say that info is misguiding. No biggie, but amator level mishap.

19) (very minor) One day I wanted to test seven channel system with NS6&DDJ-SX (yep seven, 'cos one channel is an input for four channels from the other controller. Seems that ITCH and SDJ are still the same thing. Once you have opened one of them, the other one won't start.

20) (major) And finally: Mapping! At least for secondary features & functions. That way I could solve myself few of the problems.

21) (mid) Scrolling bar (on the right side) is hard to see, it doesn't stand out of it's background.

22) (mid) If the beat grid was locked on the Itch, you could still open it on the deck with combining ctrl & mouse click. SDJ this is not possible. Sucks when the beatgrid is locked and you need to adjust it rapidly. Sometimes these things happen during gig, but only sometimes. Still is considered as downgrade.

23) (minor) play count of songs

On a software level FX's are the biggest upgrade and I like better SDJ's wayt to show the time (remaining and elapsed at the same time)).
Papa Midnight 7:36 AM - 30 January, 2013
I'm seeing some functionality changes, a few bugs, a few gui changes, and a few differences in functionality between devices... but I'm still not seeing any actual downgrades.
phatbob 11:19 AM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
I'm seeing some functionality changes, a few bugs, a few gui changes, and a few differences in functionality between devices... but I'm still not seeing any actual downgrades.

Exactly.

In that list, maybe 2 or 3 are actual downgrades from Itch.

Didn't ask for a list of things you don't like.

For example:

Quote:
13) (mid) How well is the lenght of loop shown? Does it stand out in display? FYI: It does not! Should it? Take a wild guess.

How is that a downgrade from Itch, which doesn't display loop lengths at all?
saNppa 2:51 PM - 31 January, 2013
If you do something do it well or don't do it at all.
phatbob 3:42 PM - 31 January, 2013
A new feature, although not implemented to your taste, is still not a downgrade.

Also, things that SX does differently from the NS6 is not a software downgrade either. That is different hardware implementation.
Papa Midnight 7:59 PM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
A new feature, although not implemented to your taste, is still not a downgrade.

Also, things that SX does differently from the NS6 is not a software downgrade either. That is different hardware implementation.

This.