Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

New Everything (TTX, Mixer, SSL) and hearing a hum

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
dj-skunkor 12:32 AM - 31 December, 2005
I hear my mp3's through the system, but am hearing a constant hum / pitch.

The TTX's have a phono / line option underneath and my numark dxm06 mixer has two line/phono switches (in back and on top). I've done everything to phono, everything to line, combinations of everything inbetween and still can't get it all to work right.

Any thoughts or help?
js
DJ Unique 3:19 AM - 31 December, 2005
Check to see if your TTX's are grounded. Also make sure that your electrical on the wall is properly wired. You can buy a circuit tester any electronics store. I have one made by GB Electrical, Inc - Model #GRT-500. Another thing you can check is for noisy appliances (i.e.- flourescent lighting, etc.) using the same circuit.

Hope this helps.
Revolutionary 6:37 AM - 31 December, 2005
If you disconnect the thrus, do you still hear the hum?
mexicannnnnn 7:04 AM - 31 December, 2005
first thing first, disconect the SL1. Try connecting the tables to the mixer directly. do you year the hum?

Yes -> then you narrowed it down to table, mixer or amp.
||||->unplug tables and plug in a mp3 player (or other line device, still hear it?
||||yes -> tables are fine problem with mixer or amp
||||no -> problem with tables.

No -> problem with the conntection of SSL.
nobspangle 9:20 AM - 31 December, 2005
make sure the SL1 and all the cables aren't close to power leads.
dj-skunkor 12:08 AM - 1 January, 2006
Rewired everything, the hum isn't coming through the system, it's coming off of the records.
Is that normal? The hum must be the time encoded sound, it's loud enough for me to hear it at the tables, but not through the mix.
Am I missing something?
js
mexicannnnnn 1:09 AM - 1 January, 2006
No thats normal.
sokes 6:01 AM - 3 January, 2006
I think I have a similar problem- but the control record timecode sound comes thru the mix. it's faint, so it doesn't drive me crazy.. but i can even hear it when the record is playing and i drop the volume slider for that channel on my mixer to off.

has anyone else seen this problem with the timecode record sound bleeding thru the speakers?

thanks!
Revolutionary 3:04 PM - 3 January, 2006
Quote:
the record is playing

It's coming from your cartridge. You wouldn't notice it if you were playing a regular record as this would be synched with the sound coming out of your speakers.