Serato DJ General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ, expansion packs and supported hardware

can we have a 'realistic' release date for vci 300 bundle?

djrobot 1:41 PM - 14 June, 2008
hey guys, just gettin a bit fidgety for a release date for the vci 300 / itch bundle - can the powers that be shine any light on an eta? thanks expectantly ;¬#
cMo 2:07 PM - 23 June, 2008
People are claiming the vci will ship out in August. I haven't heard anything about when Numark will step up.
Sam 2:56 PM - 28 June, 2008
Hey Robot,
It is out now, but depending on your country / city, it's hard to say when exactly it will be in your town. The best thing to do would be to ask your local Vestax dealer, and ask them to put in a pre-order.
DJ Tenacious 3:10 PM - 29 June, 2008
Quote:
Hey Robot,It is out now, but depending on your country / city, it's hard to say when exactly it will be in your town. The best thing to do would be to ask your local Vestax dealer, and ask them to put in a pre-order.

is it out in Rhode Island or Massachussets?
1000 Cutts 12:35 PM - 10 July, 2008
Has anyone got their sticky little mitts on a VCI-300 yet? I pre-ordered mine about 3 months ago and haven't heard anything....Any news on the UK anyone?
tactek 2:37 PM - 10 July, 2008
I put my order in with PSSL. They are saying the beginning of august. Who did you put your order with?
DJ MDX 10:32 PM - 10 July, 2008
www.agiprodj.com is also taking pre-orders
bubblersound 2:20 AM - 11 July, 2008
I'm still undecided on which dealer to pre-order with. I need it asap because I already sold my Scratchlive for Itch and I have parties booked in August & September.
DJ MDX 1:33 AM - 12 July, 2008
Well you better decided quick because if they come out in limited #'s, like they always do, you won't get one if you wait for the last minute because they will all be sold out.

I remember when the TTM57 1st came out - I pre-ordered mine along with so many others and most authorized resellers only received 3 - 5 units......so give that some thought.

BTW, not a real smart business move to book an event and sell your existing gear for new gear that has no guarantee of release, ship, or arrival date.......just some food for thought - no offense meant by it.
cMo 2:45 PM - 13 July, 2008
Not to mention for the price of an SL1 & decent mixer + dex you should get more for the money than by purchasing the vci. At least your mixer will have more functionality, like separate volume controls, maybe some effects, and certaily more room with turntables instead of little jog wheels.

I thought I could use ITCH in the club until I found out the limitations. Now I see that ITCH will be cool for some super small events, like your living room, a car, a pool, or something like that, but if you are getting paid to DJ an event you probably need more than a controller and a laptop...
DJ MDX 2:37 AM - 14 July, 2008
Quote:
...I thought I could use ITCH in the club until I found out the limitations. Now I see that ITCH will be cool for some super small events, like your living room, a car, a pool, or something like that, but if you are getting paid to DJ an event you probably need more than a controller and a laptop...

I disagree with this - I think the VCI-300 has a lot of potential.

I have already worked out a couple of different ways to get past "booth output" issue so I am looking forward to this coming out and trying it for myself.

I have the SL1, TTM57, and look forward to hopefully adding the VCI-300 to the very satisfied list of Serato Collaborations.

Based on my experience with the very tight integration of Serato software with collaborative hardware I feel very confident with things to come and look forward to this product hitting the streets!
TristanW 3:33 AM - 14 July, 2008
What limitations? I'm not sure of the issue with the booth monitor, can't you just use the the booth volume on the club mixer.
1000 Cutts 12:11 PM - 14 July, 2008
Quote:
What limitations? I'm not sure of the issue with the booth monitor, can't you just use the the booth volume on the club mixer.

Spot on Mr Tristan W! I have read loads of people moaning about 'no booth' just wire it through the mixer in the club and use the booth on that. Are people suggesting the VCI-300 will used as the sole mixer in a club? I doubt it...Anyway anyone know shipping dates to the UK...love and peace - 1000 Cutts Xx.
cMo 2:39 PM - 14 July, 2008
Look, to be honest I cringe at having anything less than 3 volume controls, after using my 57 I'm hooked on that type of control over the sound in the room. Seriously.

The club mixer is way across the room, behind the bar, and they run a long RCA wire to the DJ booth. I know, it sucks, and there is a hum as a result.

I plug the house sound into the Aux-out, my personal monitor(s) on the booth, and my sub on the master. I usually keep the sub way down until the place gets packed, then I start droppin the bass on'm.

At the very least I need to be able to keep the room volume at one level and my monitor at another level.

In the event the gig doesn't have house sound I still need a separate volume control for the sub woofer because some songs require turning the volume on the sub way up and others need the volume to the sub turned way down.

Don't get me wrong, I've been looking forward to the release of this unit since it was first announced, but I just can't believe with all these amazingly innovative features they would leave out something so incredibly huge and imperative!

I really can't believe they left out the best part of the 57 - Auxilary volume control for in AND out, booth, AND MASTER.

I even use the Auxilary in sometimes too, but I won't bother getting in to that because these other points are so much more important................. *sigh*
cMo 3:03 PM - 14 July, 2008
Quote:
for the price of an SL1 & decent mixer + dex you should get more for the money than by purchasing the vci.

Sorry, I said that out of anger / frustration when I found out the booth and master only have one volume control.

A laptop and vci would be cheaper than a regular DJ setup. It would also be much more convenient because you have less equipment to move, less wires to deal with, etc.

nik39 7:58 PM - 14 July, 2008
Quote:
Sorry, I said that out of anger / frustration when I found out the booth and master only have one volume control.

I share your opinion. It is a restriction which limits the VCI's practical application :(
antonborisov 9:19 PM - 14 July, 2008
To be honest, if you play in a big place, in most cases you can be sure that there is some kind of mixer with booth volume control where VCI can be connected to.

Furthermore, if your VCI 300 is the only mixer, i can guarantee that there aren't any booth monitors at all or they are some kind of powered speakers with easy accessible controls on the back.

Although, the frequency of changing booth volume is only a matter of choice. I personally prefer to do it only at the beginning of a set.
TristanW 11:07 PM - 14 July, 2008
I plan to use it exactly like serato except I only have to plug one set of rca's in and mixer on the vci instead of the Xone.

One question from a non audiophile, will running the vci through a Xone 92 still make use of there beautiful sound quality.
Darcy 6:29 AM - 16 July, 2008
I haven't been on the forums in awhile...sooo what you are saying is that when I am playing at a house party and I have my monitors in my face and the hi-fi speakers hitting the crowd, I won't be able to adjust both separately on the VCI?...the monitors are in my face and don't need them to be at the same volume as the other speakers so how the heck am I supposed to adjust the hi-fi speakers without making my monitors too loud in my ear? do I have to physically get up in the middle of the set and go to the amp and adjust the volume knob? that doesn't sound right?
antonborisov 7:44 AM - 16 July, 2008
Another option would be an any tiny studio mixer between VCI and monitors. You can buy one for 50 bucks or even less. Small mixer is useful thing for such DIY parties, by the way ( routing, recording).

Anyway, absent of booth volume control is really a flaw.
cMo 2:13 PM - 16 July, 2008
Yes, it is more than a flaw, it is very disappointing. I really had high hopes for this unit.

Now I can't see myself using it unless I do a pool party or some super small event where I just bring a 3 speaker setup. Even then, as I mentioned, it is extremely helpful to have a separate volume control for that sub, because it's a beast and should be left off for certain parts of the night.

Regarding your monitors and the idea of buying a $50 monitor - come on man, we are professionals.

It's very simple. The more people show up, the louder the room needs to be. I use the monitor to compliment the sound of the room when it's loud, and I sometimes carry the sound of the room by turning my monitor up and keeping the room level down a little, especially when it's either early or late.
antonborisov 2:35 PM - 16 July, 2008
well, I've meant a MIXER between vci and monitors, not monitor for $50 )
cMo 6:44 PM - 16 July, 2008
Yeah, bring the vci and another mixer, still not ideal.
DJ MDX 11:48 PM - 16 July, 2008
I am working on making something for this - if I can pull it off I will post back with what I came up with after I manage to test it ;-)