Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Little problem at my first gig with the DDJ-SX

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ Baby Raj 12:02 AM - 2 January, 2013
In the past I've owned the DDJ-S1 with no problems or no dropouts.

Last night as I was playing video and music with the DDJ-SX at one moment the DDJ-SX became unresponsive but was still playing music but no matter what buttons I pressed nothing worked, all the lights were still working. Is this a dropout?

So I had to close Serato DJ then I shut off the controller turned it back on and re opened DJ everything worked like normal. Only happened one time out of the 4 hour gig. But it sucked because it happen right at the peak of the night and everyone was dancing so it was a real buzzkill that I had to shut off the music to restart everything.

Any ideas what might have caused this? Has me a little worried for my future gigs. Thanks.

BTW Here the specs of Macbook Pro:

2.3ghz Quad-Core i7 8gig ram AMD Radeon HD 6750M Intel HD Graphics 3000
dj mood 2 10:46 PM - 2 January, 2013
4 A BACK up plan.. phone or iPod plug in channel 3-4 R C A jacks to small head phones jacks .....then unplug U S B from unit restart computer restart software of course plug USB back in ... hope this helps
DJ Baby Raj 10:47 PM - 2 January, 2013
Good Idea, I need to drop some music on my iphone 5!
DJ Baby Raj 3:34 AM - 3 January, 2013
Anyways bump, if Serato knows about this issue? Seems like some others are having the same issue.
jupiter 6:46 AM - 3 January, 2013
I am having the same issue. Serato DJ will lose control with the DDJ-SX controller, but the controller will still react to any input done from the software.

To resolve the issue, I have had success with just power cycling the controller. But also have had to restart the software and power cycle the controller.

It has happened quite often since I got it today. I updated the firmware on the controller to 1.02.

I am running Mac OS X 10.8.2 on a Mid 2010 MBP 15" 2.8GHz Quad Core Intel i7 with 8GB ram.

Is there anyway we can submit this issue to Serato/Pioneer?
jupiter 8:56 AM - 3 January, 2013
Hehe. I found out my problem. I was going through a hub, even though it was powered, it was the issue. Since I plugged straight in to my MBP, I haven't had any issues.
DJ Baby Raj 8:59 AM - 3 January, 2013
Well I'm not using a Hub... Mine goes straight to the MBP and still does it.
STYLeX 3:19 PM - 3 January, 2013
I dont have dropouts but Serato DJ began after one hour to stutter like 2-3 frames per sec. also the LEDs (jog rings) on the controller (DDJ SX) becone a lower frame rate. When i minimize Serato DJ to Taskbar and than Maximize it it will run normal for som seconds. Than the same fram problem comes back. I have connected the SX direct on the Notebook. Core i5 3210m 2x2,5 ghz (turbo 2,9 ghz) 8 GB Ram Nvidia gt 635M 2 GB vRam WIN7 x64
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:21 AM - 9 January, 2013
Hey DJ Baby Raj,

Do you have any other USB devices connected to your computer?

Have you had this happen to you again when playing at home? Does it eventually regain control?

What is your USB buffer size set to in the setup screen?

Have you tried using the other USB port to see if it still happens?

@STYLeX, please start a separate help request so we can assist you individually. Although your problem may similar, the cause might not be the exactly the same. You are more than welcome to continue tracking this discussion and try some of the suggestions :)
DJ Baby Raj 2:45 PM - 9 January, 2013
Hey Martin thanks for the reply.

The only USB device I have connect is the DDJ-SX. Never had this issue with the S1

Just had another 5 hour gig and this time everything worked flawless no freezes. No idea lol.

I have all my settings set to the fastest and never strained my CPU. (i7)

Others have had this same issue seems like its a glitch somewhere.

I do not want to try any other ports because after testing the port I'm currently using the good port on MacBook Pro don't think that's the problem. I'll keep an eye on it.
ZPPRHD 10:15 PM - 9 January, 2013
I have had the same issue constantly. Almost every other gig my system freezes. I have reported it every time, hopefully the issue can be resolved
dj mood 2 2:26 AM - 10 January, 2013
any NEWS on the mini inno fader 4 this unit
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:52 AM - 11 January, 2013
Hey DJ Baby Raj,

Please keep me updated with your testing, and if possible, try and find out the answer to this question:

Quote:
Have you had this happen to you again when playing at home? Does it eventually regain control?[/quuote]

@Lo Cornel, if you experiencing issues, I highly recommend you start a separate help request so that someone can assist you individually.
Dj Sean Figredo 2:41 PM - 11 January, 2013
Ive had the same issue too !
Which for an update soon
also Ive made this website from scratch ....
have a look and see if you like it ...
Like it on facebook if you do. it would really help me out .

www.hotice.com.au

Cheers,
Sean
Asu 10:25 PM - 11 January, 2013
Hi Raj,this same issue happened to me once,X-mas eve @ a house Party...the files weren't corrupt,what i did is made a few changes to serato video...no restrictions on videos 16:9 or 4:3,increased buffer to 2 GB since i have 8GB RAM,removed some corrupt files,prayed really hard and no issues since then :-) oh and i turned off WIFI and Bluetooth...

Ran perfect new years eve for about 8 hours straight...i noticed a few hesitations maybe thrice but no crashes and i got response from the SX the whole time...Perfect Begining to a new year :-)

NB: on a side note,Serato DJ is always using 10% of one of the cores even when on standby and doin nothing...don't know if this should be ok or not...oh and the cpu usage bar is way off...when its using 30% at full performance the green bar looks like it 50%-55%...can this be fixed too in the next update/....it can be scary
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:14 AM - 14 January, 2013
Thanks for your input Asu :)
Asu 12:22 AM - 15 January, 2013
Quote:
Thanks for your input Asu :)

You're welcome Martin...i let the projector handle format since it automatically resizes to 16:9...those tweaks did help out a lot.
DJ Baby Raj 5:49 AM - 15 January, 2013
Cool Asu, yeah I run it at 16:9 I have a 1gig video card so I keep that at 1gig... Which 2GB buffer are you talking about? Need to hook my laptop up and check that.
Asu 6:21 AM - 15 January, 2013
In Serato DJ,if you go to the plug in tab under settings you'll see the buffer size tab...and i left the aspect ratio to no constraints since the projector i use resizes to 16:9 so i give Serato a break there...

Further more i realized when you loop a video with a very high Bit rate...there's a huge cpu spike during the loop and that can crash Serato DJ as the night goes on...so what i do is run all videos from my subscription services thru handbrake...i use the current frame rate,frame size (640x360),check maintain aspect Ratio,set key frame to between 20-24 just to be sure and re-encode at 3000.doesn't take long.quality pretty much looks the same but when i do the loop again,the huge cpu spike is gone...

My specs:Mid 2009 Macbook Pro,512 Nvidia GT Card,8GB RAM,750 HDD,Duo Core 2.8 GHz...

So the videos them selves if not done right will crash your software as the night goes on.
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:51 AM - 15 January, 2013
Quote:
I have a 1gig video card so I keep that at 1gig

I would keep your video buffer set to that I think.

Here is a quick little guide to using handbrake if it helps: serato.com
DJ Baby Raj 11:19 AM - 15 January, 2013
Thanks.
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:44 AM - 16 January, 2013
Let me know if there are any improvements DJ Baby Raj :)
Asu 5:36 AM - 16 January, 2013
hey Martin,i was trying to move my library to external HDD but some corrupt file i think keeps crushing it probably while relocating lost file...can i upload the crash log here?...when i went back to the local drive however...everything seems fine :-(

i'm trying to go the external route since it's more flexible.

Let me know thanks and it is the relocate files log right?
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:25 PM - 16 January, 2013
Please start a separate help request Asu, this is DJ Baby Rajs help request. It will be a lot easier for us to assist you separately.

10:00 PM, 30 Jan 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.