DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Software for making mixtapes

Jason S 5:02 PM - 28 December, 2012
Hi all,

Just after some advice about DJ software. I have been making mixtapes for a couple of years now and have persisted with Audacity as it is free (!) and is fairly straightforward. However, I have recently upgraded to a new Macbook Pro and would like to start learning and using something new. I do not need something to record Midi or create beats but simply to add samples and loops to mixes recorded using my NS7 (ie 'live' mixing). I need something with an ability to auto match BPM and preferably equal sound volume across all tracks.

Any suggestions??
AKIEM 5:13 PM - 28 December, 2012
I use Digital Performer, but it's not free.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:10 PM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Hi all,

Just after some advice about DJ software. I have been making mixtapes for a couple of years now and have persisted with Audacity as it is free (!) and is fairly straightforward. However, I have recently upgraded to a new Macbook Pro and would like to start learning and using something new. I do not need something to record Midi or create beats but simply to add samples and loops to mixes recorded using my NS7 (ie 'live' mixing). I need something with an ability to auto match BPM and preferably equal sound volume across all tracks.

Any suggestions??

Hire a dj
djcrap 6:58 PM - 28 December, 2012
every macbook comes with garageband
Dj JesC 9:18 PM - 28 December, 2012
mixmeister.
DJ Matty Stiles 9:56 PM - 28 December, 2012
rane mixer + bridge = ableton mixtape. Win.
DJ Matty Stiles 10:01 PM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
mixmeister

VERY jittery with OSX Lion. I emailed them if there was gonna be a fix but they said there were no plans yet :(
Dj JesC 3:26 AM - 29 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
mixmeister

VERY jittery with OSX Lion. I emailed them if there was gonna be a fix but they said there were no plans yet :(

I used a very old version, before the black GUI, I mainly used it to drop cuts on CDs
MPC O.G. 3:31 AM - 29 December, 2012
Quote:

Ableton costs $800. If you can find a lite version then upgrade you can save a little money. I have Live 6 and won't upgrade until the bridge works right.
Jason S 10:56 PM - 1 January, 2013
Thanks all. I think I'll try to get to grips with GarageBand since it is already installed on my MacBook but after a quick play earlier, dropping cuts onto a mix doesn't seem as easy as it does in Audacity.... More practice I think.
DJ Reflex 11:33 PM - 6 January, 2013
I use two turntables and my mixer. Kinda old skool, but it works.
Dj_Nix 12:47 AM - 7 January, 2013
Quote:
Hi all,

Any suggestions??

audacity is on osx. are you moving from 86x to osx?
stevie o 3:21 AM - 7 January, 2013
Quote:

Double win
djnak 3:31 AM - 7 January, 2013
Quote:
I use two turntables and my mixer. Kinda old skool, but it works.

exaclty my thoughts...I can understand some guys wanna put out the best quality product and have everything flawless, but if you cant run that same set flawlessly at a gig you are gonna look like an ass....If i mess up Ill start over, practice never hurt anyone :)
Robert W 7:21 AM - 7 January, 2013
Quote:
Hi all,

I need something with an ability to auto match BPM and preferably equal sound volume across all tracks.

Any suggestions??

You dont need software for that, you just use those pitch slider thingies and the gain knob for all that.
djsmuve415 9:01 AM - 7 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
mixmeister

Works like absolute SHIT on a Mac OS... I won't use it. Used version 7 for years on win 98, no probs. Have VMware on my mac tower & I still use it through that on win 7...
as for the purists on here, take solace to the fact that it can't do Hip Hop & R&B very well - at least IMO anyways... handles EDM well though. Heard from a well known British fidget DJ we flew out here 6 years ago for a party, that Radio One's Essential Mixes were mainly done on Mixmeister by DJ's when handed in.. It's how I first heard about it.
Kristian Valdini 4:00 PM - 7 January, 2013
Ableton Live 8. End.

K