Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato is not Windows 8 / Touch Screen Friendly

WirelessDJ 11:28 PM - 25 December, 2012
Serato is not Windows 8 / Touch Screen Friendly <please view public YouTube video for explanation>

Watchwww.youtube.com

Your prompt response is appreciated. I LOVE Serato, but this is a show stopper for me and will be for many others as we move into the new year.

WirelessDJ
WirelessDJ 11:32 PM - 25 December, 2012
Consequently, the on-screen keyboard does not pop up when you click on the search box. I believe this to be a Windows 8 issue though. Some apps it works, others I have to manually launch the keyboard
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:47 PM - 25 December, 2012
Windows 8 is currently not supported by Serato
WirelessDJ 12:01 AM - 26 December, 2012
Indeed.
phatbob 1:22 AM - 26 December, 2012
Quote:
Consequently, the on-screen keyboard does not pop up when you click on the search box. I believe this to be a Windows 8 issue though. Some apps it works, others I have to manually launch the keyboard

Wow. Windows 8 really is a bag of shit, isn't it.

People wondering why it's taking companies a while to engineer compatibility with this UI disaster... LOL
Jam-Master Jake 2:16 AM - 26 December, 2012
I was a Windows user for MANY years until 2.5 years ago when I finally saw the light and went the way of Mac. Since then, I've always kept a copy of Windows on my Mac..."just in case I needed Windows."

I have spent a bunch of time playing around with Windows 8 and I have to admit that--in the words of phatbob--it "really is a bag of shit." Absolute GARBAGE. It is overly-complicated, about as NON-intuitive as you can get, and pretty much requires existing users to relearn Windows all over again. THANK GOD Micro$oft left the ability to use Windows in classic method (for the most part). Otherwise, I suspect they'd lose a big chunk of their potential upgrade customers, as they would simply stick with Windows 7.

It'll be interesting to see how Win8 works out. Right now, it's looking like another Windows Vista. (*shudder*)
pdidy 2:31 AM - 26 December, 2012
Quote:
Windows 8 is currently not supported by Serato

This goes to show as proof that users are oblivious to READING system requirements. Why make a youtube vid complaining about serato's incompatibility and or behavior when its NOT even supported yet ? This just isn't rational or logical thinking........ or am I missing something ?
WirelessDJ 7:12 AM - 26 December, 2012
Excuse me. Windows Users have no choice. All new pcs ship with windows 8. No windows 7 drivers available. No downgrade option. So bottom line is Serato needs to update the software !
pdidy 9:00 AM - 26 December, 2012
in your video, you state the issue is a "flaw" which is incorrect. So are you intentional trying to mislead users or are you misinformed ?
phatbob 10:21 AM - 26 December, 2012
Quote:
Excuse me. Windows Users have no choice. All new pcs ship with windows 8. No windows 7 drivers available. No downgrade option. So bottom line is Serato needs to update the software !

I'm sure in your particular case that, having checked compatibility with Windows 8 before you purchased, never the less:

- You absolutely HAD to buy a new laptop in the last month

- You couldn't find ANY of the laptops still in the channel shipping with Windows 7, like all the ones I managed to find on the first retail site I just checked

- Serato is not mission critical enough for you to have bought a copy of Windows 7 to install on your new laptop

______

But statistically, how many people are in that exact same situation as you?
pdidy 10:27 AM - 26 December, 2012
WirelessDJ, can you post your laptop model and specs.
WirelessDJ 2:27 PM - 26 December, 2012
Really it makes no difference as windows 8 was on nearly every laptop in best buy and staples, But if you want to see why I chose the Thinkpad, have a look

youtu.be

Last night gigged 5 hours - flawless no issues except the scrolling was painfully non intuitive
WirelessDJ 2:40 PM - 26 December, 2012
This video explains why I dumped my MacBook Pro. Attached is a sneak peek of The WirelessDJ 2013 rig, please no questions, not done yet.

Watchwww.youtube.com
WirelessDJ 3:13 PM - 26 December, 2012
Can someone please tell me how I can fast scroll through the playlist using the DDJ-SX?

I tried using the click knob and It is impossible when you have hundreds of tracks in one playlist

This would give me a workaround into the next release serato
phatbob 4:07 PM - 26 December, 2012
You can use the scroll knob on the SX. That's what it's for.

More power to you for trying something different, but Serato DJ is unlikely to optimised for touch anytime in the near future. Why would it be? The market for touchscreen laptops will be negligible for at least the next year. There are surprisingly few even on the market yet, despite Microsoft deciding to base their entire OS around it.

You'll get your Windows 8 drivers soon enough, I'm sure, but until a significant number of users move to Windows 8 WITH touchscreens, don't hold your breath for touch.
DeeJayFanatic 2:30 AM - 27 December, 2012
I believe wirelessdj was asking and hoping there was an option on the controller to hyper scroll. Like holding the shift while using the scroll knob.

That actually might be a good future feature request.
WirelessDJ 7:00 AM - 27 December, 2012
I know you can do it on the vci 300 is it possible on the ddj?
saNppa 7:30 AM - 27 December, 2012
First of all I must thank you WirelessDJ, you just buried one of my plans, but in a good way. I have X220 and i've been thinking about getting x220/x230 with touch screen, maybe for the same reasons you did. Seems that it just ain't working like we want it to work.
pdidy 9:37 AM - 27 December, 2012
WirelessDJ
have you tried running serato in Windows 7 compatibility mode ?

Quote:
I know you can do it on the vci 300 is it possible on the ddj?

well of course it does, its the top center rotary knob(page 19 of the manual). Well if that was your problem i dont no what to say....lol
WirelessDJ 3:41 PM - 27 December, 2012
The top center knob only scrolls one track at a time. Try scrolling through 1000 tracks and it takes too long. As Fanatic mentioned, hyper scroll is what is needed.
pdidy 8:19 PM - 27 December, 2012
Quote:
The top center knob only scrolls one track at a time. Try scrolling through 1000 tracks and it takes too long. As Fanatic mentioned, hyper scroll is what is needed.

theres no reason you should be scrolling 1000 tracks. you need better search and track organization.
Jam-Master Jake 8:11 PM - 28 December, 2012
Not in front of my DDJ-SX at the moment and I haven't tried this, but does pressing Shift + turning the Scroll Knob speed things up?

I'm mostly a Top-40 DJ in bars/clubs and I have a few playlists that have 500-1000 songs in them. I simply type in what song I'm looking for or type in the key in the search box and use the scroll knob to sort through a smaller batch of songs. Trying to scroll through 1000+ songs using just the scroll knob is insane...hyper scrolling available or not. The easiest way to get around it is to plan out your night by packing your "crate" (making a playlist) with 200 songs or so that you're sure you want to play and then scrolling through them (much more manageable than 1000+). As you get requests, use the search function in your master library to see if you have it.

As for Windows 8, it will be supported someday, but holding your breath for touchscreen drivers probably isn't wise. I wouldn't expect to see that for 2-3 years at least.
saNppa 8:26 PM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Not in front of my DDJ-SX at the moment and I haven't tried this, but does pressing Shift + turning the Scroll Knob speed things up?

Just tried, but it doesn't. Still that would be an excellent idea.
Jam-Master Jake 8:28 PM - 28 December, 2012
A logical idea, any way. I don't know if this would be programmable in software or in firmware. Either way, I'd fire off feature requests to BOTH Pioneer and Serato about the issue. Maybe they'll add it in (along with the ability to trigger stored loops on the pads)?
pdidy 8:38 PM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:

I'm mostly a Top-40 DJ in bars/clubs and I have a few playlists that have 500-1000 songs in them. I simply type in what song I'm looking for or type in the key in the search box and use the scroll knob to sort through a smaller batch of songs. Trying to scroll through 1000+ songs using just the scroll knob is insane...hyper scrolling available or not. The easiest way to get around it is to plan out your night by packing your "crate" (making a playlist) with 200 songs or so that you're sure you want to play and then scrolling through them (much more manageable than 1000+). As you get requests, use the search function in your master library to see if you have it.

As for Windows 8, it will be supported someday, but holding your breath for touchscreen drivers probably isn't wise. I wouldn't expect to see that for 2-3 years at least.

+1