DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Anybody ever have to use a Power Generator to DJ?

iRockCrowds 8:58 PM - 6 June, 2008
Someone wants me to dj this outside event but informed me that I would have to use a power generator. Ive never used one and really dont know too much about them. Any idea where I can rent one and which kinds should I be looking at? Any precautions? I'm scared to use my good gear for this gig.
dj_soo 9:06 PM - 6 June, 2008
should be fine - I play outdoor festivals all the time and it's always run off generator power.

just get the right size to power whatever your system is, make sure that the generator is located a ways away from the dancefloor/booth (use a long extension cord) otherwise you'll have to deal with fumes, and bring extra gas if you're going to playing for an extended amount of time.
dj_penguin 9:12 PM - 6 June, 2008
I have, many times.

For a standard setup, a 6kW generator should do just fine. If you're running a 5000-8000W sound system, get a 10kW generator. You can rent a generator from Big4Rents or any similar equipment rental place.

Make sure the generator is properly insulated from the ground, otherwise the GFCI protection will trip over and over. Also, make sure the generator is in a well-ventilated place away from the crowd, exhaust fumes tend to kill the dance floor.
djradrich 10:38 PM - 6 June, 2008
you can rent them at any hardware store really, tru-value, home depot, lowes, whatever. talk to the rental guy, he'll explain everything you need to know, how to turn it on, how to gas it up, all that good stuff.
s3kn0tr0n1c 10:17 AM - 10 June, 2008
yeh and if using you laptop/deck etc run you equipment through a surge protected mains extension.

ive saw a few things get damaged by bad generators......no probs with good new gennys but i always run my stuff with protection now...only £10 for a 4 way
eder 10:53 AM - 10 June, 2008
yo Rock how much stuff are you looking to run off of the generator?
Lynn Sound Systems 2:10 PM - 10 June, 2008
I did a big low rider show in a Park we ran a 60KW diesel movie quiet generator , i used my 100amp feeder panel All worked out well I was pushing around 40,000 watt sound system. we did put a 6 foot grounding rod into the ground for safty reasons, but the power was sable as a could be, Key is a good generator that maintians stable voltage, if you hear the idle of it going up and down you may not want use it because the voltage may be swaying and most electornics dont like anything under 105 or above 125 volts. I personally Always run a UPS (UnInteruptable Power supply) that has built in surge protection on my computer and hard drives.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:21 PM - 10 June, 2008
I do a few Outdoor Picnics every year and +1 on the Gas, make sure you have plenty or have someone available to make make a Gas run BEFORE you need it.

If you are running a smaller system, check out generators made by Honda - very, very quiet in comparison to some of the others on the market.
iRockCrowds 7:43 PM - 10 June, 2008
Quote:
yo Rock how much stuff are you looking to run off of the generator?

just an amp that will power two tops is all the sound Im going to need. Then I have my djing setup 2 turns a mixer, my laptop. That's it. Not too much stuff at all...
eder 12:19 AM - 11 June, 2008
you'll be fine with a 4k to 6k generator. Personally I think 6k will be overkill for that but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Dj Rodney C 8:45 PM - 19 July, 2011
I need some advice. I need a generator that will power my setup which consists of....................
2 Pioneer 1000's MKIII
TTM57 SL
2 Mackie Powered SR 1530z (500-700 RMS watts Each)
1 QSC HPR 181i (700 watts RMS)
Macbook Pro 2.66 i7
Dj Rodney C 8:46 PM - 19 July, 2011
I need some advice. I need a generator that will power my setup which consists of....................
2 Pioneer 1000's MKIII
TTM57 SL
Macbook Pro 2.66 i7

U guys Know we (DJ's) can't afford any power outages!!!!!!!!!!!
eder 12:04 AM - 21 July, 2011
be safe and get a 5000w generator
pdidy 3:07 AM - 21 July, 2011
Quote:
2 Pioneer 1000's MKIII
TTM57 SL
Macbook Pro 2.66 i7

2 Pioneer 1000's MKIII = 2 amps
TTM57 SL = 1 amp
2 Mackie Powered SR 1530z (500-700 RMS watts Each) = 8+8 = 16 amps
1 QSC HPR 181i (700 watts RMS) = 2.5 amps
Macbook Pro 2.66 i7 = 1 amp
total amps = 22.5 amps total

amps x volts = total wattage
22.5amps x 120volts = 2700 watts required to power your system.
you will need a 3000 watt generator minimum or higher for head room.
Dj Rodney C 4:49 AM - 21 July, 2011
Thats all! I thought I would need a lot more!
P DIDY u are the man! Thanks a bunch!

I think I'm gonna rent a 5000 watt just to be on the safe side!
dj 747 6:17 PM - 27 August, 2011
Hey guys i need a suggestion, Im playing at a beach party, i need a generator what power do i need,
my setup

Numark Mixdeck
Dell Studio Laptop
2 speakers (total 2000 Watts, 1000 Watts Each)
eder 7:03 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Hey guys i need a suggestion, Im playing at a beach party, i need a generator what power do i need,
my setup

Numark Mixdeck
Dell Studio Laptop
2 speakers (total 2000 Watts, 1000 Watts Each)

what's the make and model on the speakers? Are they active or passive? If passive, what amp are you powering them with? I ask these because a lot of companies don't market their products by their true specs but use some magical number to advertise what the amp/speaker puts out.

And aren't you afraid the sand's gonna mess up your nice
eder 7:26 PM - 27 August, 2011
^plastic toy?
dj 747 7:27 PM - 27 August, 2011
im gonna rent speakers and lights, the numark mixdeck is mine, ill put the turntables on the table lol, um the speakers are yorkville 1000 watts speakers, they dont need an amp, they power themselves, so two speakers and then a few lights
dj 747 7:31 PM - 27 August, 2011
actually ill get two of these speakers

www.long-mcquade.com
eder 6:28 PM - 28 August, 2011
you're going to need at least a 2,000 watt generator for the sound alone, I don't know what you're going to be renting for lights so I can't quote you on that, but I'd say to be safe in the 3,000 to 3,500 watt range and you should be fine.
dj 747 10:25 AM - 29 August, 2011
alright thanks a lot man, how about my laptop and my numark deck, arent they gonna need any power from the generator?
eder 10:26 AM - 29 August, 2011
Quote:
alright thanks a lot man, how about my laptop and my numark deck, arent they gonna need any power from the generator?

miniscule amounts where it's negligible.
dj 747 10:27 AM - 29 August, 2011
ok alright
DJ B Hoody 12:56 PM - 29 July, 2012
I dont know how yall figured this out, I dont see where it says this on the manual, I see the max output for watts, but thats about it sometimes, well here is my setup, what should I get as far as generators?

2 DN-S5000
TTM57 SL
2 QSC HPRI15-powered
macbook pro 2.5ghz
-(i do run an external hard drive with this)
--
sometimes
epson projector 6100
DJ Reflex 9:56 PM - 29 July, 2012
The sticker may not give you the power requirements directly. Usually look for the UL listing for your electronics. It may give you watts or it may give you amps. In USA teh standard voltage is 120... P=V*A... this means multiply volts (120) by amps (less than one for mixer and up to 4 each for your speakers) to get total watts. Remember that a single outlet is limited to 15 amps total. Even if you have a generator that can handle 5000 watts, you'll still need separate outlets for each 15 amp load. (Generators this big will usually have separate circuits for this application.)

I can safely run two Mackie SRM 450s on an small 800 watt generator that I bought at Farm & Fleet for $120. I have a small battery powered mixer for wedding ceremonies and such and no lights.
eder 10:38 PM - 8 August, 2012
A good rule of thumb that I go by is if you can run everything off of one circuit normally,you should go for a 3000w or higher generator.
Club Ample 1:55 AM - 9 August, 2012
one other thing to consider... is the wave being produced by the generator... Sine wave vs Modified Sine Wave.... the cheaper generators are Modified Sine... explained a little here

www.xantrex.com

and here

blog.outsidesupply.com
DJ Reflex 4:05 AM - 9 August, 2012
I checked that before I bought mine, but the salesman had no idea what I was talking about (Sine wave vs. Square wave basically).

I had to take it home and try it out with my Mackies. It worked fine - no buzzing.
olskool 11:57 PM - 13 August, 2012
Im am purchasing a generator but need to know how many watts to buy. Im running a VMS-4 controller, hp pavilion dv7 laptop and 2 JBL Eons 1000 watts can anyone help me I dont want to buy anything to small or over do it either
DJ Reflex 1:24 AM - 14 August, 2012
^^^ Read previous posts. ^^^ It's all spelled out for ya.

Your computer is about 2 amps, speakers are around 3 each, and mixer is probably under 1. Add 'em all up and you get 10 amps. Now for some math and you get 1200 watts.

You should go about 20-50% over that rating with your generator. Now you're looking at 1400 to 1800 watt generator. BTW 1800 watts is all that you can run on a single outlet anyway. If you need more power, go for 2500 W or bigger.
tehBEN 2:34 PM - 14 August, 2012
rent one of these and call it a day lol www.generac.com
DJ'Que 3:49 PM - 14 August, 2012
I brought a 2500w one from Lowes for $120 .the wheel was missing and had been a return when my sister worked there.

They have this thing that in returns you can buy then before they send them back.
Dmv 9:45 PM - 15 September, 2013
Hi guys,
I have been asked to play out an event with only a genny for power.
Genny = Honda GX 160 5.5.
My kit is
2 active tops rcf 710
1 lap top
I also have a mixer but it draws from the laptop via usb so fine
Also some lights but they draw virtually nothing as they are led, should be fine too.
Mostly worried about the speakers and laptop.
Do i need a surge protection, surpressor?
The gennys manual specifically points out that sensitive electronic equipment shouldnt be connected and that the voltage may vary by +\- 10%.
Read previous posts but surge protection didnt really come up, maybe because the generators used by you are newer "claen" power ones.
Please help the gig is saturday, just been emailed the spec of the genny, no idea how to protect my kit.
Thanks
DJ Reflex 1:31 AM - 16 September, 2013
I just used a generator this weekend for an outdoor wedding ceremony. Granted, I only had one Mackie SRM450 and a small mixer tied to it, but I had no problem with sound quality (no hiss, pops, or buzz).

Just make sure that the generator can handle the load. My generator can handle up to 800 watts (that's about 7 amps max at 110volts). The speaker draws about 2.5 amps each - at peak power - and the mixer is negligible. My concern was sound quality - I've had generators produce sound very noisy power before and it came through the audio equipment.

As long as you are within the power specs (amps/watts) and keep the voltage within 10%, you should be fine. Read the UL listing on your speakers - they should be fine as low as 100 volts. You computer's power supply is very well regulated - that should be fine as well. Good luck.
Dj R. Driver 4:30 AM - 18 September, 2013
just bring enough gas
NelezY 3:12 PM - 4 April, 2014
Need help guys, need to know how can i legally power my equipment in a nyc park, like yankee stadium park without a generator because its against the law to use gas generators in nyc parks is there another source i can use without getting into any trouble with the law. Can i get a permit to use a generator in the park and if so where can i get one ?
Geoff Gran 12:46 AM - 22 April, 2014
I am doing a outdoor event and I'm looking to power

(1) technic 1200 turntable
(1) Vestax PMC 280 Mixer
(1) Alto Pro TS1500A
(1) Macbook Pro

all off or a generator, I'm wonder if i'll be OK running the speaker directly from one generator jack then plugging the other stuff onto a surge protector off the other jack

How many Watts for generator, and will I have any problems powering the speaker?
pdidy 4:18 AM - 22 April, 2014
Quote:
Need help guys, need to know how can i legally power my equipment in a nyc park, like yankee stadium park without a generator because its against the law to use gas generators in nyc parks is there another source i can use without getting into any trouble with the law. Can i get a permit to use a generator in the park and if so where can i get one ?

Call the NYC parks department, If they say yes get permit from local police Pct.
pdidy 4:26 AM - 22 April, 2014
Quote:
I am doing a outdoor event and I'm looking to power

(1) technic 1200 turntable
(1) Vestax PMC 280 Mixer
(1) Alto Pro TS1500A
(1) Macbook Pro

all off or a generator, I'm wonder if i'll be OK running the speaker directly from one generator jack then plugging the other stuff onto a surge protector off the other jack

How many Watts for generator, and will I have any problems powering the speaker?

Get a Honda 2000watt generator.
CMOS 6:19 PM - 22 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Call the NYC parks department, If they say yes get permit from local police Pct.

No more popping off the bottom of the street light and using that outlet huh? Times done changed.
pdidy 8:14 PM - 22 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No more popping off the bottom of the street light and using that outlet huh? Times done changed.

I still do it at a few of my annual park & block parties.
Papa Midnight 8:16 PM - 22 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I still do it at a few of my annual park & block parties.

This. Get the extension cords out and go to work.
CMOS 8:37 PM - 22 April, 2014
Back in the day we had a TV and a stereo on the corner where we hung out.

Went on for like 2-3 years before the cops shut us down. Them fuckers put those magnetic bits on the lightpost and we couldn't get it open anymore lol.
Deeroy 1:22 PM - 2 May, 2014
Hello
I was wondering if anybody had the time to help me work out what I reqyire to run a small sound system for a wedding. It's completely off grid and we have a 6kw generator.

We will be using a simple JVC AK-20 Amplifier
2 x Wharfedale valdus 400 speakers
1 x Turntable (Dont know name yet sorry)
1 x Laptop, 1 x ipad
A few rope lights and fairy lights and probably two standard lights for the DJ.

Apart from the generator what else do we need to buy please? Im sorry we are complete novices at this! We are going to live off grid and will also have 3 x 205w solar panels and an 800w/1600 inverter plus mmpt charge controller. We are presuming we will need to power the sound using the generator but to be honest we havent got a clue! Thanks so much. Any help would be really appreciated.
DJ DisGrace 2:06 PM - 2 May, 2014
^ don't under any circumstances let someone plug a fridge, coffee maker, or microwave into the
DJ DisGrace 2:06 PM - 2 May, 2014
^ don't under any circumstances let someone plug a fridge, coffee maker, or microwave into the generator
pdidy 2:09 PM - 2 May, 2014
You will be fine, the 6k watt generator is more than adequate for your needs.
Janet 6:00 PM - 2 May, 2014
Hey everyone, does anyone knowwhere I can either rent or buy a battery operating generator no gasoline in New York please let me know its for a baby shower thank you
Janet 6:02 PM - 2 May, 2014
Pdidy u seem to know alot about music. Maybe u can help me with my post above.
pdidy 5:06 AM - 3 May, 2014
Quote:
Hey everyone, does anyone knowwhere I can either rent or buy a battery operating generator no gasoline in New York please let me know its for a baby shower thank you

First need a detailed list of what you need to power and for how long ?
pATTO248 3:48 AM - 7 May, 2014
hello
Im hoping to run my dj equipment in a paddock and just would like to know how much watts generator i would need. the equipment i would be running is:
1x MACKIE SRS1500 SUBWOOFER
2x AVE WOODEN SPEAKERS ULTRA15
1x DJM-350
1X MUSHROOM LIGHT

Just after how many watts that would be and what size generator i would need if anyone can help. and also is a ordinary generator okay or do you need a pure sine wave one?

Thanks heaps!
pdidy 5:22 AM - 7 May, 2014
Quote:
hello
Im hoping to run my dj equipment in a paddock and just would like to know how much watts generator i would need. the equipment i would be running is:
1x MACKIE SRS1500 SUBWOOFER
2x AVE WOODEN SPEAKERS ULTRA15
1x DJM-350
1X MUSHROOM LIGHT

Just after how many watts that would be and what size generator i would need if anyone can help. and also is a ordinary generator okay or do you need a pure sine wave one?

Thanks heaps!

This is a very lite setup and will run on one 15amp circuit, Get a Honda 2000watt generator.
pATTO248 5:48 AM - 7 May, 2014
Thank you for that.
when looking at how many watts the speakers will take, is it the Peak Power or RMS Power?
Sorry I'm a novice with using generators.
pATTO248 5:48 AM - 7 May, 2014
And could i use any decent 2000w generator? THanks
pdidy 6:31 AM - 7 May, 2014
Quote:
Thank you for that.
when looking at how many watts the speakers will take, is it the Peak Power or RMS Power?

Neither, it's only amps of each device that we're concerned about.

1. You first need to check the specs of each device and determine how many amps it draws.

2. Add these number together. For example let's say each speaker is 3 amps and the lite an mixer is 1 amp each. That would = 11 or 11 amps total.

3. Amps x voltage = wattage or 11amps x 120 volts = 1320 watts.

4. Your system requires a generator more than 1320 watts to allow for head room which is why a 2000 watt generator is the smallest recommended.

Honda generators tend to put out clean power across the entire brand which is why I recommended it.
Taipanic 2:54 PM - 7 May, 2014
You should always use a clean power, inverter type generator for use with any electronics. Other generators will work but you are taking a big chance with your sensitive electronics, as those generators power output can fluctuate wildly. The Honda EU series are considered one of the best of this category, good power, quiet, and have the ability to link multiple units for higher power output.
smitaly69 10:03 AM - 13 May, 2014
Hi guys this is not strictly a dj question, we are having a small music festival with pa, amps, lighting, ive been advised that a 30kvh generator would be enough power but im worried it may not be enough. I will post the spec as soon as I have it , thanks.
psalmon 4:52 PM - 21 May, 2014
I'm DJing at a wedding later this summer using a generator - the couple are providing one and they want to know what kind of power I need; I'll be using my Techs and an Allen Heath mixer with laptop plus a couple of 12inch tops (550watts each) and a 720watt sub. I'll probably have a couple of lights too - nothing fancy. Anyone know how much power I should tell them I need?
Thanks
psalmon 5:03 PM - 21 May, 2014
So far i think the speakers (Yorkville NX55) are 2amps each and the sub Yorkville 720 is 1.2amps. Not sure about the other stuff though.
Taipanic 5:09 PM - 21 May, 2014
I would recommend a 3000 watt generator. Would be preferable if all your lights are LED. You will want a Clean Inverter type generator. Not using one could damage your electronic equipment.
Papa Midnight 11:04 PM - 21 May, 2014
I'm going to say this as well. All of you getting a generator, put a battery backup on it as well.

In either case, remember these three words and live by them: Pure Sine Wave.
Johnnynights 12:12 AM - 22 May, 2014
Im a noob when it comes to this but im running two yamaha dxr 12s and a yorkville ls801p and my system(rane 62,two denons sc3900,macbookpro,usb splitter on one of these www.amazon.com guys recommend me something better?

I never had a problem not sure if i should upgrade that?
Johnnynights 12:15 AM - 22 May, 2014
www.hollywooddj.com one of these
DJ Quartz 12:47 AM - 22 May, 2014
I actually bought one last year for outdoor purposes and I've used it a couple times since.

There was a good deal on them.
Kofi246 6:18 PM - 22 May, 2014
hey guys, i'm a newbie when it comes to power so just need your recommendations...i have a beach gig and i'm wondering if a 1500w amp is sufficient to run the following

2 passive JBL JRX200 speakers (it says 250-500W 8ohms) powered by a
1 crown xls 1500 (says 250W on the back)
1 laptop dell
1 Ns6
16ft of LED strip lights
Papa Midnight 7:39 PM - 22 May, 2014
We need some more details there Kofi246.

In example, how much power are your LED Strip Lights drawing? I'm sure it's likely nothing more than 2-10W per strip (tops), but this is all important.

Likewise, how much power is your Laptop drawing? In example, my primary laptop draws 150W. The thing is, to power this via DC, I would need an inverter that provides 180W (to account for peaks). However, there are also laptops that draw 180W, 120W, 90W, 65W, 40W, and lower.

Also, you need to account for peak draw.
Kofi246 12:43 AM - 23 May, 2014
sorry for the late reply...the laptop is 65 and the power supply for the lights is 72w...not sure what you mean by peak draw tho
Papa Midnight 1:27 PM - 23 May, 2014
As an example, one of my laptops draws 120W of continuous power. However, you should always account for at least 20% more of the rated continuous power draw due to a need to account for "surge capacity". Therefore, in order to power this in my car, I use a power inverter rated for 150W of continuous power draw.

What I am saying is that you need to take into account not only the necessary power to continuously power your devices, but that to account for any surge capacity that you may need.
eder 11:46 AM - 26 May, 2014
Laptop power draw is negligible....1/2 amp at most if running on a 110v AC circuit.
finesse92 6:59 AM - 6 June, 2014
Alright generator pros here's my setup.

I'm using...
1 Cerwin Vega 21" Sub 1200W continuous / 2400W peak
2 JBL PRX715 at 1500W a piece
Rane 62 / 2 Denon 3700's / Macbook Pro.

Is it as simple as adding all the wattage or is there something else to it?
pdidy 8:45 AM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
Alright generator pros here's my setup.

I'm using...
1 Cerwin Vega 21" Sub 1200W continuous / 2400W peak
2 JBL PRX715 at 1500W a piece
Rane 62 / 2 Denon 3700's / Macbook Pro.

Is it as simple as adding all the wattage or is there something else to it?

Try reading some of my examples then tell me what you think.
Bolkonski 2:45 AM - 26 June, 2014
Hello,

I'm throwing a small street party and I'm worried about the noise the power generator may produce. Is there a silent solution to power my sound system?
pdidy 4:05 AM - 26 June, 2014
Sherri 4:06 AM - 28 June, 2014
Hi,

For power backup we rented a loadbank. They are very efficient to fulfill the needs of power. Now we don't have to worry about power disruption. Check out our loadbank service provider: www.crestchic.com
pdidy 6:05 AM - 28 June, 2014
Quote:
Hi,

For power backup we rented a loadbank. They are very efficient to fulfill the needs of power. Now we don't have to worry about power disruption. Check out our loadbank service provider: www.crestchic.com

Would have been if posted a link to the actual model you're referring to.
pdidy 6:14 AM - 28 June, 2014
Would have been nice...
Wulf Pak 11:59 PM - 28 June, 2014
Trying to find the amp info for the following...

Lenovo T420 laptop
Traktor S4 controller
2 x RCF 725a speaker
1 x Yorkville LS720 sub
1x JBL 510 monitor
DJ Reflex 5:27 AM - 29 June, 2014
Have you looked at the UL label near the power inputs? Usually a good place to start. Remember: P=AV (Power = Amps * Volts)
ClaySticky 4:02 AM - 29 July, 2014
Need some assistance. Trying to find out how many watt generator I need to run the following setup:

Macbook Pro Retina
Numark NS7ii
2 EV ZLX-15P tops (1000watts per)
1 QSC KW181(1000 watts)
surge protector (15A 120V)

Thanks in advance.
rayjthedj 1:37 PM - 29 July, 2014
Do you plan to expand to a second sub at any point? If not I strongly recomend the Honda EU1000i. I have owned one for 5 years, used to run my 16 volt battery charger for my Drag car at the track. It will run lights, small hand tools, fans, etc.

I have used it once to run my small passive set up, with no issues:

Toshiba Laptop
Numark Mix Deck Expree
EV300 Wireless
CP4000 Amp
EVDCONE
Furman PLC DMC (helped me keep track of amp draw)
Pair of EV-ZX1 tops
Pair of EV-TX1181 subs

I pulled a few 8 amp peaks but ran mostly around 5 amps

If you plan to expand then get the EU2000i. These are not cheap generators, however they will last for years, they have very clean power and the most important, they are extremely quiet. Honda makes the best small generators on the market, I have owned many during my 35 years drag racing. Spend the money once.

One draw back, if you run under a high load, you will probably have to fuel it every 2-3 hours. I know they say not to, but the way the generator is built, you can easily fill it while running with a light weight one-two gallon gas jug safely.
DJ Quartz 2:32 PM - 29 July, 2014
This is the one they gave us for our CariSask float on the 19th.

powerequipment.honda.com

It ran two power racks for 2 EV Subs and 6 EV tops.
LEOPOLDD 11:00 AM - 5 August, 2014
Hello everybody,

I am playing at this outdoor event in few weeks and i need to fuel my system with a generator, i am hesitating a lot on the output power i need.
My rig is:
2x crown Itech 5000hd to fuel 4passives JBL heads
1x crown CDI 4000 to fuel 2 passives subs
1x rack with 2Parametric Eq, 1crossover, 1multiband compressor
2x Pioneer cdj2000
1x Pioneer DJM900
1x macbookpro
2x phones

2x MARTIN MAC 350

I don't want to take risks with this gear.
What do you think?

Many thanks,

Pierre
DJ Reflex 5:11 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Have you looked at the UL label near the power inputs? Usually a good place to start. Remember: P=AV (Power = Amps * Volts)

It's not that hard people. Just add up how many total watts your equipment uses. If this number is about 20-30% less than the rated power of the generator - you're fine.
DJ Reflex 5:13 PM - 5 August, 2014
Keep in mind though that the new class D power supplies (switching power supplies instead of old heavy toroidal transformers) are fussy with generators. This may be an issue with powered speakers.
DJ DisGrace 6:05 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Hello everybody,

I am playing at this outdoor event in few weeks and i need to fuel my system with a generator, i am hesitating a lot on the output power i need.
My rig is:
2x Pioneer cdj2000
1x Pioneer DJM900
1x macbookpro
2x phones

2x MARTIN MAC 350

What do you think?

Many thanks,

Pierre

Lie Reflex said, add up the total watts and see what you get. The Macs should be on their own circuit/breaker from the speakers, as well.
Taipanic 6:13 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Hello everybody,

My rig is:
2x Pioneer cdj2000
1x Pioneer DJM900
1x macbookpro
2x phones

2x MARTIN MAC 350

What do you think?

Many thanks,

Pierre

Lie Reflex said, add up the total watts and see what you get. The Macs should be on their own circuit/breaker from the speakers, as well.

Also looks like you don't have near enough bass to top ratio if your doing straight up current dance music. What kind of gig is it?
pdidy 8:23 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for that.

Neither, it's only amps of each device that we're concerned about.

1. You first need to check the specs of each device and determine how many amps it draws.

2. Add these number together. For example let's say each speaker is 3 amps and the lite an mixer is 1 amp each. That would = 11 or 11 amps total.

3. Amps x voltage = wattage or 11amps x 120 volts = 1320 watts.

4. Your system requires a generator more than 1320 watts to allow for head room which is why a 2000 watt generator is the smallest recommended.

Honda generators tend to put out clean power across the entire brand which is why I recommended it.
guess I wrote this for nothing cause everybody ignores it...lol
pdidy 8:25 PM - 5 August, 2014
Wait, am I being punked ?...
Taipanic 8:55 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:

No, people just want immediate accurate answers without doing any research. Posting the question is enough work!
DJ Reflex 3:18 AM - 6 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

No, people just want immediate accurate answers without doing any research. Posting the question is enough work!

I read it pdidy, but I already know this stuff! :)
Dj Vaibhav 1:25 PM - 15 August, 2014
Hi,

I need some advice. I need a generator that will power my setup which consists of:

1) Dynatech v7000 which drivers 4 X 1000W low
2) Proton Dj801 which drives 4 X 300W mid
3) Behringer Super X Pro CX3400
4) Toshiba NB250 netbook
5) Gemini 3 channel mixer

So please give me right suggestion about power generator for above sound system.
rayjthedj 1:41 PM - 15 August, 2014
You need a generator that has a 220-240 volt outlet for your amps. If you push the system really hard I would suggest a minimum of a 6500 watt generator. Make sure you are the only one drawing power from the generator.
Johnnynights 1:11 AM - 16 August, 2014
How much power do i need for this?

1-2 yamaha dxr12s
2-yorkville ls801p
3-2 denon sc3900
4-rane sixty two
5-macbook pro 13"
6-power usb hub

Thanks =)
eder 3:43 AM - 16 August, 2014
Quote:
How much power do i need for this?

1-2 yamaha dxr12s
2-yorkville ls801p
3-2 denon sc3900
4-rane sixty two
5-macbook pro 13"
6-power usb hub

Thanks =)

You're going to need either a 440v generator or a 203v generator with A-rated plasma fluid for that power USB hub.
pdidy 4:49 AM - 16 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

yo these last two are very questionable......
PlasmaGun57 10:04 PM - 19 August, 2014
I would recommend using a inverter generator because they use less fuel and are much quieter than standard generators. Here is a site that mentions some good inverter generators. Site: toptenhome.hubpages.com
Marcushhh 8:52 PM - 30 September, 2014
My friends and I decided to have me DJ at the tailgate for their college homecoming game which means I will need a generator since I'll be somewhere in a parking lot.

Can someone confirm if my math/estimates are correct?

2 - Tech 1210s mk2 (12W Each)
1 - Numark M2 Mixer (14W)
1 - 13inch MacBook pro (Charger uses 85W)
1- Harbinger HA120 portable PA system (120W)

So this means I need a generator that has over 243W?

Thank you in advance!
DJ Reflex 1:23 AM - 1 October, 2014
Times 3 and you'll be fine. You can pick up a small 800 watt generator for less than $100 at any big hardware store. Should be fine.
DonP924 1:29 AM - 21 October, 2014
Question for the professionals on this post i have 2 EV ZLX-15P powered 1000watts speakers a pioneer DDJ-SX controller 1 ZXA1 sub 700watts 2 Chauvet Radius 2.0 light 1 American DJ UV cannon 400watt. I've tried to add up the amps and watts and wanna make sure I've come up with the correct watts needed to run on a generator. Thanks for any advice given and yes i know i know i was explain but I'm in DJ for dummies 101
SG SOUNDS 1:52 AM - 21 October, 2014
Quote:
honda eu3000is
www.sportsmanswarehouse.com

Hey pdidy will this run

2 ls800p
2 etx 35-p
2 dxr-15
pioneer ddj-sx
1 macbook pro

If not can you recommend a good safe generator that can? thanks
DonP924 2:13 AM - 21 October, 2014
Quote:
Question for the professionals on this post i have 2 EV ZLX-15P powered 1000watts speakers a pioneer DDJ-SX controller 1 ZXA1 sub 700watts 2 Chauvet Radius 2.0 light 1 American DJ UV cannon 400watt. I've tried to add up the amps and watts and wanna make sure I've come up with the correct watts needed to run on a generator. Thanks for any advice given and yes i know i know i was explain but I'm in DJ for dummies 101

also a macbook pro 2.9 GHz i7
pdidy 5:48 AM - 21 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
honda eu3000is
www.sportsmanswarehouse.com

Hey pdidy will this run

2 ls800p
2 etx 35-p
2 dxr-15
pioneer ddj-sx
1 macbook pro

If not can you recommend a good safe generator that can? thanks

2 ls800p = 8 amps x 2 = 16 amps
2 etx 35-p = 2 amp x 2 = 4 amps
2 dxr-15 = 2 amp x 2 = 4 amps
pioneer ddj-sx = 1 amp
1 macbook pro = 1 amp
16+4+4+1+1= 26 amps total

amps x volts = wattage or 26 amps x 120 volts = 3120 watts

3120 watts is the minimum requirement but in order to be safe you need some headroom.
4000watt generator.
Demonstr8 4:01 AM - 15 January, 2015
What would be a good power option if a generator is out of the question?

Only powering minimal equipment for a small ceremony. Say one 12" powered speaker and wireless mic's.
DJ Reflex 12:03 AM - 16 January, 2015
You could use a power inverter from your car. Just be sure to check the power specs.
rayjthedj 12:22 AM - 16 January, 2015
I have a battery powercell with built in inverter that powers a pair of my ZLX12Ps for over 2 hours loud and over 4 hours moderate. You can hook it up to a fully charged deep cycle battery and get double the run time.
Hot Mix BK 10:26 PM - 8 June, 2015
Ok I'm not sure if anyone is still monitoring this discussion, so I'm using a formula of
amps x voltage = wattage. Some equipment listed power consumption based on actual wattage (Rane 62 at maximum 15 watts, 2 Numark TTXUSB at 65 watts each) so no conversion is required for the calculation, correct?
pdidy 10:55 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
Ok I'm not sure if anyone is still monitoring this discussion, so I'm using a formula of
amps x voltage = wattage. Some equipment listed power consumption based on actual wattage (Rane 62 at maximum 15 watts, 2 Numark TTXUSB at 65 watts each) so no conversion is required for the calculation, correct?

no need to calculate low wattage devices like mixers, turntables, cdj's or laptops because its so low its really insignificant. We are primarily only concerned with powered speakers and amplifiers.
Hot Mix BK 11:19 PM - 8 June, 2015
So if a powered speakers consumption says 1 amp (=120 volts) Can that be correct? Or should it be based on the it 1000 watts of power amplification?
Hot Mix BK 11:20 PM - 8 June, 2015
correction 1amp x 120 volts =120 watts
pdidy 11:25 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
correction 1amp x 120 volts =120 watts

YES BUT THAT would be a very small or low output speaker if it only requires 1 amp.
Hot Mix BK 11:31 PM - 8 June, 2015
That's why I was confused, because based on the EV Manual it says... "Under high signal conditions, the Live X loudspeaker amplifier can draw 1.0 amps of
current at 120V, or 0.6 amps at 230V. Be cautious of what else is plugged into the same
electrical service line to avoid electrical problems and poor performance." In my mind I was thinking this can't be correct???
pdidy 11:51 PM - 8 June, 2015
Yea i just checked, so its either a misprint or one very efficient amp. Most speakers in this range are about 3 amps.
Hot Mix BK 11:58 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
Yea i just checked, so its either a misprint or one very efficient amp. Most speakers in this range are about 3 amps.

Thanks, I'm going to be on the safe side and just make it 3 amps...(Just in case) LOL
Taipanic 4:08 PM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:

no need to calculate low wattage devices like mixers, turntables, cdj's or laptops because its so low its really insignificant. We are primarily only concerned with powered speakers and amplifiers.

And Lighting. Some light fixtures use more power than the amps.
pdidy 5:19 PM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

And Lighting. Some light fixtures use more power than the amps.

Right that will be the old-school halogen bulb lighting but most of these guys are probably using LED which has very low power consumption.
beta one 4:49 PM - 7 July, 2015
I'd like to help simplify this issue for many who are unclear, or are expecting others to do their research for them on their particular equipment. (To add to some already great information others have provided on here)
____

Don't worry about what your powered speakers or amps say they "put out" to your speakers. This is muddied by amplifier efficiency and other factors, so don't worry about it.

What really matters here is the following:
"How much power does each device I are using, consume?" and then add them all up.

My setup, for example: 2 of Yorkville NX55p.. look on the back of the unit, or on the WWW, to learn that each powered speaker will use 2 amps MAX each. So.. already, we know that we going to use 4 amps. (2 amps for each powered speaker)

My LS720p sub, uses up to 3 amps MAX. So now, we have a running total of 7 amps potentially being sucked up.

Now we have a total of 7 Amps. (of current) being sucked up when the system is really cookin!

WATTS is found by multiplying AMPS x VOLTS. We typically use 120 volts in North America for typical audio/video stuff. Thus.. AMPS x 120 volts = WATTS REQUIRED.

In my case, 7 Amps x 120 Volts = 840 WATTS

If your gear already lists the WATTS on the power supply itself, or on the rear electrical panel, then use _that_ number, since it's already expressed in WATTS. No conversion required.

If you use a stand-alone amplifier, and use speaker wires and passive speakers (un-powered), then the speakers have no bearing on this math. The maximum power draw of your amplifier, as indicated by the manufacturer, is all that matters.

(((If your gear represents power as "VA", then you'll need to use a converter to change "VA" into "A". www.rapidtables.com
Select "SINGLE PHASE", input the "VA" as provided by your manufacturer, and "120" as your line-to-line voltage. The result will be expressed as AMPS. Again.. take that "AMPS" result and multiply by 120 (volts) to give you WATTS. ))))

Let's Let's add 85 watts for my Macbook pro 15 as indicated on the power supply.

**Thus, in my case, I need, at the very least, an 925 watt generator. ***

I'll get a Yamaha EU2000i for my needs. It's rated for 2000 watts, is the quietest unit on the market, and has a good, clean power output. It also happens to be one of the best-rated generators out there.

I hope this helps some of you out there!
J
beta one 4:56 PM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:

CORRECT!
Htaken 7:00 AM - 3 August, 2015
Need help!!

Need to power a fender pd 250 PA system. Outdoor event. Any suggestions?
Taipanic 1:59 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
Any suggestions?

Read the thread? If you read through this thread ( and several others that address the same issue) you would not only find your answer but gain some knowledge.

If not, get a Honda EU series generator, any size they make will do for that small system.
deezlee 5:02 PM - 3 August, 2015
I'm building a portable power unit w a deep cycle battery and an inverter for short stuff like wedding ceremonies.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:58 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:

Nope and I don't think its possible. I mean can a power generator even play an mp3? How would you control the pitch?
HighTopFade 7:06 PM - 3 August, 2015
Are there cheaper and effective alternatives to Honda EU?
DJ Reflex 10:43 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Nope and I don't think its possible. I mean can a power generator even play an mp3? How would you control the pitch?

LOL
Throttle control - I once hooked my mixer up to my week whacker and was able to mix in my hedge trimmer on beat... harmonic gas engine mixing!
slimmjimm 11:56 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
LOL
Throttle control - I once hooked my mixer up to my week whacker and was able to mix in my hedge trimmer on beat... harmonic gas engine mixing!

Yeah, but I bet that was only 2 stroke, no way you could mix like that with 4 stroke and no sync.
DJMIKE12 10:59 PM - 8 September, 2015
So were trying to get some info on what we would need to run our tailgate set up.

We have:

one laptop and a numark controller

Then we were wondering if we could get a portable generator to run our home audio system which consists of:

one 5.1 pioneer reciever - 100w per channel.

Then two sony ssf6000 speakers - 180 watt max

would I need much to run this set up?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:05 PM - 8 September, 2015
Quote:

What is a Week Whacker again?

I'm looking to get rid of some unnecessary weeks in the future....
beta one 12:14 AM - 9 September, 2015
I did a gig last month with 2 laptops, a denon mc6000 controller, and 2 yorkville nx55p's.i I rented a 2500 watt generator for $50 gas included, and it ran for 5 hours without a hiccup. It used about 5 litres of gas. (Toronto, Canada) and I had it running pretty loudly.
deezlee 12:38 AM - 9 September, 2015
djmike12

you could get a big deep cycle battery (i got AGM) and an inverter and probly run that stuff for hours.

i got a "batterytender plus" to recharge the battery. it recharges in a day.

i topped it off before i used it.

see if you can get it with a return policy and if it doesn't wok for yer use than return it. or even if it does work you can return it. :)

you don't need a fancy sine wave inverter either, just a cheap $70-$100 model.

i got a 80ah battery and i ran my turntables, laptop, fan and bose compact speaker for like 6 hours and didn't run out of juice, but the bose compact uses very little power and it wasn't playing the whole time and it wasn't very loud as i was using it to pick out records for a gig..

that said, if you can use a generator where yer tailgating, then just get a honda
deezlee 12:39 AM - 9 September, 2015
oh, and i was running a small mixing board too
DJ Reflex 1:29 AM - 9 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

LOL - I could do without tax season!
DJMIKE12 1:47 AM - 9 September, 2015
Quote:
djmike12

you could get a big deep cycle battery (i got AGM) and an inverter and probly run that stuff for hours.

i topped it off before i used it.

see if you can get it with a return policy and if it doesn't wok for yer use than return it. or even if it does work you can return it. :)

you don't need a fancy sine wave inverter either, just a cheap $70-$100 model.

i got a 80ah battery and i ran my turntables, laptop, fan and bose compact speaker for like 6 hours and didn't run out of juice, but the bose compact uses very little power and it wasn't playing the whole time and it wasn't very loud as i was using it to pick out records for a gig..

that said, if you can use a generator where yer tailgating, then just get a honda

I was thinking just getting a generator around 100-130$ that holds 1000watts just to keep it simple and probably more affordable. How would using an inverter work? Im not too sure how it all works. Could I hook the inverter to a vehicle instead of buying a battery? How fast would that drain the battery?
deezlee 2:56 AM - 9 September, 2015
you can hook a little inverter to a vehicle if it's on, but a battery is better.

the inverter just hooks up to the deep cycle battery and it has a 120v plug-in on it for a power strip.
djlg123 2:40 AM - 2 February, 2016
I using my laptop with pioneer ddj-sr controller and a mic with 2 qsc K12 speakers, I thinking that the Honda 2000 generator the small quiet one will be enough but not sure if I add my kw122 to this if I will need something bigger. Also can you use a power strip surge protector with this or just straight plug in
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:15 PM - 2 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't do that Johnny, at your age you dont have many to spare lol
djlg123 9:36 PM - 2 February, 2016
I don't get that mean it won't work??
pdidy 3:40 AM - 3 February, 2016
Quote:
I using my laptop with pioneer ddj-sr controller and a mic with 2 qsc K12 speakers, I thinking that the Honda 2000 generator the small quiet one will be enough but not sure if I add my kw122 to this if I will need something bigger. Also can you use a power strip surge protector with this or just straight plug in

the Honda 2000 is sufficient and yes use a power strip surge protector.
djlg123 4:06 AM - 3 February, 2016
Ok i will ready to rock now but if i use two more speakers would it still be enough 4 total
pdidy 5:22 AM - 3 February, 2016
yes
chrisj 8:33 AM - 16 May, 2016
have used generators to run outdoor events many times, with very few problems, but has anyone used a generator to power active speakers and lighting but mains to run the computer, is this possible??
pdidy 8:48 AM - 16 May, 2016
Quote:
but mains to run the computer

what do you mean by that ?
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:37 AM - 16 May, 2016
off the "mains" usually means to power it from a house plug socket

there should be no issues if tha'ts what he means, but if that's the case why not power everything from that power source
pdidy 10:24 AM - 16 May, 2016
Quote:

there should be no issues if tha'ts what he means, but if that's the case why not power everything from that power source

Which would've been my next question if that's what he means ?
Papa Midnight 3:30 PM - 16 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Which would've been my next question if that's what he means ?

I have to ask the same. If shore power is available, unless we're talking more amperage than can be handled, why not just run from shore rather than using a genny?
beta one 4:29 PM - 16 May, 2016
Having 2 disparate power sources could result in the creation of a ground loop and the associated humming (because it doesn't know the words) ; but other than that, I see no reason why you can't put your pc on a "mains" power supply that's not the same as your amps and lighting.

Power-wise, your pc is likely the least of your power-consumers in your mix.
chrisj 7:10 AM - 18 May, 2016
hi all thanks, yes mains 240v household
the generator is being used for the active speakers and lighting during events but I don't want to switch off and change over power source for pc whenever the generator is off line, as it wont be running all the time the event is over 3 days
chrisj 7:13 AM - 18 May, 2016
also, I cant run all the equipment of the mains supply to much load at to great a distance,
pdidy 7:17 AM - 18 May, 2016
Yes it will work fine. Laptop to main and everything else to generator.
pdidy 7:21 AM - 18 May, 2016
But get a ground lift for the main line to laptop just in case. www.bhphotovideo.com
chrisj 7:31 AM - 18 May, 2016
thanks for your help guys
pdidy 7:31 AM - 18 May, 2016
You will recognize if the ground lift is needed by a humming sound in the speakers when the laptop or any other gear on the main line is connected.
Darcy911 3:03 PM - 19 May, 2016
So I can easily run a 1000w amp and two 250w powered subs and a laptop off a 3000w generator? Was gonna buy a champion cause they're cheap and will probably not use it often.
Taipanic 5:03 PM - 19 May, 2016
Quote:
So I can easily run a 1000w amp and two 250w powered subs and a laptop off a 3000w generator? Was gonna buy a champion cause they're cheap and will probably not use it often.

Yes, no problem. Make sure it's an inverter generator and I'd recommend only using ethanol free gas in it.
Taipanic 5:14 PM - 19 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, no problem. Make sure it's an inverter generator and I'd recommend only using ethanol free gas in it.

Better yet, pick up their dual fuel model, can double your run time on a 5 gallon propane tank.
jovitojbaby 3:54 PM - 12 August, 2016
I need some advice group,

I have my first gig where I'm going to be using a generator (normally there's power in the park but not this time). I checked around and I can rent the following generators from Home Depot (the only store around me that rents generators)

Honda E8 3000w Generator
Honda EG 6500w Generator
Honda EU 2000w Inverter Generator

I wanted to know which one I should go with. I'm only using
(2 tops) 2 x JBL PRX615M 1000W Active Speakers
my laptop (idk the specs off hand)
ns7fx (AC 120/230 V)
Small Desk fan

I know I'll need some head room but I'm wondering of the 3 which one is the best choice for my particular setup. Any help is greatly appreciated.
beta one 4:26 PM - 12 August, 2016
The 2k one will be plenty.. since 1800 watts is all you can get out of a single circuit anyway.. BUT... snag the 3k version so you have loads of headroom if you really get things cooking!

If you're not familiar with generators, be sure to get the rental staff to explain how the choke control works on the unit you rent, if it doesn't have an automatic choke. I'd also get a little jerry can of gas -just in case- , and if you don't use it, you can dump it into your car for the ride home. :)

6500 watts will chew up too much gas and is way too much power for your needs :)

if you can hide the generator behind a car of something, you can keep some of the noise and smell down.

have a good gig!
Taipanic 6:50 PM - 12 August, 2016
Quote:
The 2k one will be plenty.. since 1800 watts is all you can get out of a single circuit anyway.. BUT... snag the 3k version so you have loads of headroom if you really get things cooking!

If you're not familiar with generators, be sure to get the rental staff to explain how the choke control works on the unit you rent, if it doesn't have an automatic choke. I'd also get a little jerry can of gas -just in case- , and if you don't use it, you can dump it into your car for the ride home. :)

6500 watts will chew up too much gas and is way too much power for your needs :)

if you can hide the generator behind a car of something, you can keep some of the noise and smell down.

have a good gig!

+1, he's spot on.
jovitojbaby 7:01 PM - 12 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

have a good gig!

+1, he's spot on.

Thanks both of you I really appreciate it. I'm going to get the 3k generator just to have that extra bit of headroom.
SG SOUNDS 10:00 PM - 18 November, 2016
4 srx828
2 srx835
2 srx812
1 MacBook Pro
1 Roland dj808
1 QSC TouchMix mixer

will a Honda EU 3000 inverter generator be sufficient?
beta one 10:40 PM - 18 November, 2016
Please read the thread and do the math. Add up your max watts per device's power input label, and see if 3000 watts will suffice with some decent headroom. Watts equals 120volts multiplied by xx amps as listed on the device. Watts may already be listed. (Not the "speaker wattage" ). We're talking about power consumed.
beta one 10:56 PM - 18 November, 2016
OK. I give in.

Your 828s are rated conservatively at 5.6 amps each
Your 835s are the same.
Srx812 is passive- typo maybe? What are you powering them with?

Those aside, you're ducking up 4000 watts conservatively with the first 2 sets. Add 100 watts for your macbook etc.

Eu3000 is insufficient by far. that's a serious system there.
SG SOUNDS 11:14 PM - 18 November, 2016
Quote:
OK. I give in.

Your 828s are rated conservatively at 5.6 amps each
Your 835s are the same.
Srx812 is passive- typo maybe? What are you powering them with?

Those aside, you're ducking up 4000 watts conservatively with the first 2 sets. Add 100 watts for your macbook etc.

Eu3000 is insufficient by far. that's a serious system there.

yeh I did the math and realize that...I'm gonna go with 2 of the eu 3000 or 1 eu3000 and a 2000
Taipanic 2:58 PM - 21 November, 2016
Yeah, insufficient if you are running it hard. I'd put the subs on a separate generator and everything else on the other. This way, if your subs do peak and trip the circuit, you will still have music playing and won't distress your computer & controller.
Bruj Meister 8:17 PM - 23 December, 2016
Sound Setup:

-1 Numark Mixtrack 3 | USB DJ Controller (Bus Powered)
-1 Numark DJ iO2 | USB DJ Audio Interface for Laptop (Bus Powered)
-1 Sony Vaio Laptop | SVE14123CLW (65 Watt AC Adapter)
-1 Fender Passport Deluxe PD-250 Portable PA (250 Watts)
-2 Soundbarrier ECL-15ACT | 15" Active Speakers Type Class A/B (165W Continuous / 325W Program / 650W Peak)
-1 Forza AVR FVR-1211B | Automatic Voltage Regulator 1200VA (600 Watts Input / Nominal Input Voltage: 110V / Nominal Output Voltage: 110/120V)

Question: I have a Pulsar 1200 Watts Peak / 900 Watts Rated generator and by just looking at my setup I don't consider it possible to suffice the power demand for all my appliances. Do you guys think I could pull off powering all my sound setup with two of these Pulsar generators? Or would I still be short on power supply? If so, I'll probably put it aside for something else but the idea of using two of these has me thinking it could be a low cost workaround.

P.S. I'm not sure what actually counts as the correct wattage for these type of calculations when it comes to the Soundbarrier speakers since the website gives three different types of wattage specs which confuses me yet I assumed the Peak Watts were the ones to count.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me!
DJ Reflex 6:34 AM - 24 December, 2016
Buy this:
www.acehardware.com

I plugged in all my gear and got an actual rating for power usage. You can see it in real time as you crank up the volume!
Bruj Meister 4:45 AM - 27 December, 2016
Genius! That's a great idea, thanks for your help DJ Reflex cheers!
Taipanic 3:48 PM - 27 December, 2016
The bigger issue would be that generator is not an inverter type generator so there is the risk you can ruin your sensitive electronics (computer, controllers, powered speakers, etc...) and are generally way too loud. You would be much better renting a Honda or similar inverter generator for $50-60 for the event.
Jaybanana 10:17 AM - 25 January, 2017
Wow long thread - read some of it:
I'm doing a DJ gig outdoors.

1x mixer allen & heath zed 10fx
1x 25w crossover DBX
2x 500w JBL subs MP225s
1x 1500w crown amp (for subs)
2x 350w FBT Jolly Powered speakers
Macbook, powered usb hub (and Dj gear)

We have a Honda 2k for sound and a Honda 1k for lights (LED mostely)

Will this suffice or should we hire a bigger one or drop a sub?
pdidy 11:30 AM - 25 January, 2017
Quote:
1x 1500w crown amp (for subs)

You own a $5000 Crown Audio MA-9000i ? wow !
Jaybanana 1:08 PM - 25 January, 2017
ha :)
no its a XLS 602
pdidy 6:47 PM - 25 January, 2017
Quote:
ha :)
no its a XLS 602

Oh OK....... no problem you can run all of that on that generator but you would be very upset if I told you what the real wattage of that amp is :)
Hunna100 7:01 PM - 15 February, 2017
Longest thread ever... but really good info and I think I found my answer already by reading _all of it_...LOL
But I wanted to clarify a couple things that I have found in my trials and ask one thing.

Doing parking lot parties. 3500W genny. Super small setup without a sub and all works great. But I really want a sub. So I thought I would be clever and use my home Logitech Computer speaker setup with the powered sub. When I plug it into the genny, nothing. Won't power on. So I put an APC 1500 UPS tower into the genny thinking I'd put the Logitech system into the APC. But the APC wouldn't ever think it was plugged in. Just kept running off the batteries. Even when I set the sensitivity to low. I have had setups like that in the past at some of my client's sites and the generator they used, athough it required the sensitivity to be set to low, powered the UPS and worked OK.

I concluded that my generator doesn't have a proper invertor to give the Logitech powered subwoofer the clean power it needs. I even put a line conditioner in before the APC UPS hoping that would help. So, unless I am missing something. that setup won't work.

My question and reason for posting... a PA powered sub, like a Rockville RBG15S, remember I'm going for the cheap, will it even power on either? Is it less picky about the power? Or am I going to have to just buy an invertor generator?

I thought I could do a passive sub but then my head unit isn't powerful enough to drive it so I'd need an amp anyway and then I'm afraid the amp won't power on either...

Thanks for all the great info on this thread.
Taipanic 2:37 AM - 16 February, 2017
Quote:
Longest thread ever... but really good info and I think I found my answer already by reading _all of it_...LOL
But I wanted to clarify a couple things that I have found in my trials and ask one thing.

Doing parking lot parties. 3500W genny. Super small setup without a sub and all works great. But I really want a sub. So I thought I would be clever and use my home Logitech Computer speaker setup with the powered sub. When I plug it into the genny, nothing. Won't power on. So I put an APC 1500 UPS tower into the genny thinking I'd put the Logitech system into the APC. But the APC wouldn't ever think it was plugged in. Just kept running off the batteries. Even when I set the sensitivity to low. I have had setups like that in the past at some of my client's sites and the generator they used, athough it required the sensitivity to be set to low, powered the UPS and worked OK.

I concluded that my generator doesn't have a proper invertor to give the Logitech powered subwoofer the clean power it needs. I even put a line conditioner in before the APC UPS hoping that would help. So, unless I am missing something. that setup won't work.

My question and reason for posting... a PA powered sub, like a Rockville RBG15S, remember I'm going for the cheap, will it even power on either? Is it less picky about the power? Or am I going to have to just buy an invertor generator?

I thought I could do a passive sub but then my head unit isn't powerful enough to drive it so I'd need an amp anyway and then I'm afraid the amp won't power on either...

Thanks for all the great info on this thread.

Sounds like you have a crap generator. Go rent a proper inverter generator for $60 and be done with it. You run the risk of ruining your electronics with a non inverter generator. As yours won't even run computer speakers I wouldn't plug anything I value into that.
I bit the bullet last year and bought a 3100 watt inverter generator that runs on propane or gas. Used for several tailgate parties with two tops and a sub, no issues at all. I was also running on propane, which produces less wattage overall.
DJ Reflex 3:50 AM - 17 February, 2017
Powered gear these days uses "Switching power supplies". They are fussy when it comes to clean power input. My older Mackies (with toroidal transformer power supplies) run just fine on the generator.

Tiapanic is correct with a better generator, but if you have older gear laying around, you can check it out. If it's big, heavy, and built like a tank - chances are that it will work just fine.
Rock with D-Bock 12:29 AM - 9 May, 2017
So would something like this be ok for a couple of Yamaha DBR10s and a small mixer? IT isn't an inverter generator though, but looks like it is designed for quality electronics...THe DBRs look to have 60w power consumption each according to the manual.

www.costco.com
Taipanic 1:40 PM - 9 May, 2017
Quote:
So would something like this be ok for a couple of Yamaha DBR10s and a small mixer? IT isn't an inverter generator though, but looks like it is designed for quality electronics...THe DBRs look to have 60w power consumption each according to the manual.

www.costco.com

I honestly think you are taking a chance not using an inverter generator. Sure, it will work but if there is a power dip or surge you have the very real chance of killing off your computer, controller, speakers, etc... I'd save up the extra $300 and get an inverter generator from the same company. I've had no issues with my Champion at all. Until then, you can rent a Honda Inverter or similar generator for $50-70 for a weekend, usually.
Taipanic 3:40 PM - 9 May, 2017
Looking at that generator some more it says you can use it for electronics but I still think you are better off with an inverter generator. The inverter generators are around 10-15 db quieter that a standard generator also, which makes a huge difference if playing music not super loud. I can literally put my generator 5 feet away and not hear it when playing.
Rock with D-Bock 12:46 AM - 10 May, 2017
Gotcha, thanks!
JaredP21 5:49 AM - 11 May, 2017
Hey everyone - I go to this camping music fest every year, usually play 3-4 sets over the course of the weekend at our camp and am wondering what size generator I'll need? My rig consists of:

- Traktor S4
- MacBook Pro
- 2 EV ZLX15p (Mains)
- 1 EV ELX118 (Sub)
- 3-5 strings of xmas lights

I bought a Ryobi 2,200 watt generator (thd.co) and was curious if that'd be enough power?

Thanks so much in advance for any help on this!
JaredP21 6:31 AM - 11 May, 2017
One question I forgot, even if the Ryobi 2,200 is enough power, is it the right kind of power for that rig? Would a Honda eu2000i be much better? THANK YOU!
Taipanic 8:13 AM - 11 May, 2017
Quote:
Hey everyone - I go to this camping music fest every year, usually play 3-4 sets over the course of the weekend at our camp and am wondering what size generator I'll need? My rig consists of:

- Traktor S4
- MacBook Pro
- 2 EV ZLX15p (Mains)
- 1 EV ELX118 (Sub)
- 3-5 strings of xmas lights

I bought a Ryobi 2,200 watt generator (thd.co) and was curious if that'd be enough power?

Thanks so much in advance for any help on this!

You should be fine with that generator, it is comparable to the Honda Inverter generators. In theory, your speakers can pull over 3000 watts, more than what your generator puts out. Most of the time your speakers are putting out nowhere near those levels so you should be fine as long as you are not running your P.A. to extreme levels.
JaredP21 7:28 PM - 11 May, 2017
Thanks Taipanic...so the quality of power will be as good or comparable to the Honda? I probably will be cranking the speakers quite a bit as there will be a lot of background noise. Would it make sense to bring two generators just in case?
Taipanic 8:52 PM - 11 May, 2017
Quote:
Thanks Taipanic...so the quality of power will be as good or comparable to the Honda? I probably will be cranking the speakers quite a bit as there will be a lot of background noise. Would it make sense to bring two generators just in case?

Hard to say if the peaks from the speakers will trip the breaker on the generator. If you want to be safe, use a separate generator for the sub. You could also do testing with a Kill A Watt meter and see what draw each of the speakers pulls when being pushed hard.
JaredP21 3:58 PM - 12 May, 2017
That's a good idea. I guess I'm confused why this isn't a more black and white situation, ya know? Seems like a lot of grey area around how much wattage a generator actually produces, how much power certain components need, etc. Frustrating.
Taipanic 4:50 PM - 12 May, 2017
Quote:
That's a good idea. I guess I'm confused why this isn't a more black and white situation, ya know? Seems like a lot of grey area around how much wattage a generator actually produces, how much power certain components need, etc. Frustrating.

It's mostly about how much power the amplifiers use. Each top can use 1000 watts and the sub 700 so potentially you be drawing 2700 watts right there. The reality is that the speakers will only be pulling 1/8-1/4 continuous power most of the time, except for some peaks. It's just a matter of math, if you're pulling over 2000 watts or 20 amps you will probably trip the breaker. You should be fine with just the one generator, if you trip the breaker you'll just have to back off on volume a bit.
I'm doing an outdoor gig in a few weeks with my big system. I run my two JTR Orbit Shifters at 2 ohms on one XTI6002 and two Noesis 3tX tops on another XTI6002 at 4 ohms. I'm renting a 7000 watt generator just for the subs & tops and using my 3200 watt generator for everything else. My amps are rated for 2100 watts per channel at 4 ohms and 3000 watts at 2 ohms. If you look at the actual power draw for my amp (XTI6002)
1/8 power 4 ohms 11.8 amps, 355 watts / 2 ohms 16.9 amps, 520 watts
1/3 power 4 ohms 24.1 amps, 574 watts / 2 ohms 35.2 amps, 989 watts
1/3 power white noise would be equivalent to program at extreme clipping levels.
adn.harmanpro.com

Obviously, you would need a 50 amp circuit to run that hard at 2 ohms at 110 volts. The harder you push amps, the more current draw they require. All the numbers used for speakers and amps are not realistic for actual useability. A 1000 watt speaker is not putting out 1000 watts continuous, not even at full clipping.
JaredP21 8:55 PM - 12 May, 2017
That makes sense. If I trip the breaker then the power will cut out right? That would suck if I was in the middle of a set. Do you think deep cycle batteries are a good option, or are generators better?
Taipanic 2:37 PM - 15 May, 2017
Quote:
That makes sense. If I trip the breaker then the power will cut out right? That would suck if I was in the middle of a set. Do you think deep cycle batteries are a good option, or are generators better?

Correct. Personally, I would only consider deep cycle batteries if a generator could not be used. once you've used the juice in the batteries you're done, unlike a generator just add more gas or propane. I would think that playing EDM/bass heavy music would shorten the life of the battery output a lot also.
I would try it with the one generator. If you pop the breaker, you'll have to turn down the bass. If you've got the money to burn, bring a second generator with you and hook the subs up to that, if you need too. You might find the one generator will be enough for the levels you'll be playing at. I'm using two generators at my next event but I'm running a system that can put out over 10,000 watts for just the P.A. and expecting 500-1000 people.
deezlee 3:49 PM - 16 May, 2017
Deep cycle batteries are great for situations where the music will not be constant or will be sorta quiet. Wedding ceremonies especially. Cocktail hour, a mic for toasts etc.
Yeah for bumping music with out worry, yer gonna want a generator.
I made a battery setup, I forget the amperage of the battery offhand but it covered my turntables, mixer and Bose compact tower (and I think I had a little mixing board hooked up) for over 5 hours in testing (it was inside so the volume wasn't maxed) without running out of juice.
Having an extra battery in case of emergency wouldn't hurt though, for piece of mind.
Davidnuc 6:12 PM - 1 June, 2017
Hii i have dj mix xone 42. Pioner 2x Cdj850 and 2x rokit 6 . i need electro generator for outside event wich one do u think to be proper and enough for me thanks in advance
Taipanic 6:38 PM - 1 June, 2017
Quote:
Hii i have dj mix xone 42. Pioner 2x Cdj850 and 2x rokit 6 . i need electro generator for outside event wich one do u think to be proper and enough for me thanks in advance

Any inverter generator over 600 watts should be sufficient for that. You might want to consider renting some bigger speakers though, Rockit 6s will not put out much sound outside
Davidnuc 7:40 PM - 1 June, 2017
jaa thanks u re right but im going to make a little party aproximatly 10 metr radius around 50 person 👍
Taipanic 8:27 PM - 1 June, 2017
Quote:
jaa thanks u re right but im going to make a little party aproximatly 10 metr radius around 50 person 👍

Seriously, those will not be loud enough and there's a good chance you will blow them up. Monitors are not designed to be P.A. speakers. You'd be better renting a pair of 15" 2 way cabs for $50-75
Davidnuc 8:55 PM - 1 June, 2017
Ok If i do which stormgenerator will i need than ? Maybe 1200 watt
Taipanic 9:06 PM - 1 June, 2017
Quote:
Ok If i do which stormgenerator will i need than ? Maybe 1200 watt

That would be plenty. Anything over 800 I would say would be good.
Davidnuc 11:03 PM - 1 June, 2017
okey thanks tell me please what might happen if i play autside at carnaval berlin and have no permition from state. I mean go with my equipment and set up ??
Carmelo6669 5:51 PM - 17 July, 2017
Hey Guys please help first time djing in a park.
i have 2 tops EV elx 15p 1000watt
also 2 jbl PRX618S-XLF Subs 1000watt ech
i have a Furman PLPLUSC Classic Power Conditioner With Voltmeter
With a BBE 882i sonic maximizer
Pioneer DDJ SZ2
macbook pro 2016

what generator i would need for a 67 hour gig at a nyc park.
Thanks In Advanced
Taipanic 7:31 PM - 17 July, 2017
Quote:
Hey Guys please help first time djing in a park.
i have 2 tops EV elx 15p 1000watt
also 2 jbl PRX618S-XLF Subs 1000watt ech
i have a Furman PLPLUSC Classic Power Conditioner With Voltmeter
With a BBE 882i sonic maximizer
Pioneer DDJ SZ2
macbook pro 2016

Thanks In Advanced

A 3000 watt Inverter Generator should be OK... and a lot of gas
Papa Midnight 7:48 PM - 17 July, 2017
Quote:

Quote:
a lot of gas

Understatement.
Rebelguy 8:17 PM - 17 July, 2017
Depending on the generator that you rent, you may have to turn it off while refueling.
PBj Lights and sound 5:35 AM - 4 August, 2017
Alright lets see what I need

2 x crown 4002xti amps running 8ohm
1 laptop
1 desktop
1 berhinger x air 12
1 berhinger cmd 4a
2 chavet mini kinta
2 chavet swarm 5fx
1 apple airport router
charge 2 ipads and 1 iphone
and 10 chauvet freedom quad 5

all the electronics are plugged into or routed through a furman not sure the model.

This is everything I would run with a generator I have previously ran this with a generator, but luck would have it they were running a 50kw generator to power multiple RV's and had extra power for me to use.
Taipanic 2:43 PM - 4 August, 2017
Quote:
Alright lets see what I need

2 x crown 4002xti amps running 8ohm
1 laptop
1 desktop
1 berhinger x air 12
1 berhinger cmd 4a
2 chavet mini kinta
2 chavet swarm 5fx
1 apple airport router
charge 2 ipads and 1 iphone
and 10 chauvet freedom quad 5

all the electronics are plugged into or routed through a furman not sure the model.

This is everything I would run with a generator I have previously ran this with a generator, but luck would have it they were running a 50kw generator to power multiple RV's and had extra power for me to use.

I would say a 3kw should be OK or a 5kw to be safe.
PS: Always plug your amps direct to power if possible rather than into a power strip or power conditioner. An amp running hard will draw much more power than the strips or conditioners can handle.
Mandell 12:42 AM - 10 August, 2017
I'm looking to run

2 Alto Black 12 - 2400 watt peak and 1200 cont
macbook pro 2012
pioneer ddj-sr

What generator do I need? I was thinking off at least 5k
Rebelguy 1:23 AM - 10 August, 2017
You'd be fine with a 2000 watt generator.
Mandell 2:03 AM - 10 August, 2017
How is that possible? My speakers are 1200 watt cont each.
Mandell 2:04 AM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:

How is that possible my speakers are 1200 cont each?
Rebelguy 3:30 AM - 10 August, 2017
If you look at the spec sheet for your speaker they state that the current requirement is 6 amps or 660 watts. The wattage figures they out on speakers is quite misleading.
Taipanic 4:39 AM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

In reality, even when those speakers are running hard they are probably not using more than 300 watts continuous.

Power (wattage) ratings that are provided by manufacturers serve no use but to sell product.
Mandell 3:03 AM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:
If you look at the spec sheet for your speaker they state that the current requirement is 6 amps or 660 watts. The wattage figures they out on speakers is quite misleading.

Oh ok thanks I see what you're saying. This kind of thing sometimes becomes confusing as companies are not upfront with this information. I apprecaite the help
Mandell 3:12 AM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In reality, even when those speakers are running hard they are probably not using more than 300 watts continuous.

Power (wattage) ratings that are provided by manufacturers serve no use but to sell product.

Companies are always trying to upsell. They are only focused on making money off people.
Allright 3:32 AM - 4 October, 2017
Power ratings of active speaker is audio output power, it is not the electric power it actually uses. I had no idea how much electric power does my whole system use. There is a cheap and very simple way to find out about it. You need one short extension cable from Walmart or Home Depot enough 1-2 feet with 3-5 receptacles to plug in all your sound equipment cables, everything into one extension cord. Buy thick extension cord, not a thin one. You need to separate carefully it's external isolation, you will find 3 isolated wires. Then you need a small device ampermeter/voltmeter with clamp, a very good one cost around $30.00-40.00. When you plug everything into one power outlet you can check how many amps your whole system draws from the grid. One wire is ground and two hot wires, check the reading of that with highest amps. Then multiplay x110 or 120V and you have total how much electric power the whole sound system draws from the grid. My mixer, CD player and 4 JBL 1000W speakers plus 1JBL 1500W speaker plus 2 subs 1200W and 900W all together at the soundcheck were using from 4.5Amp to 6.5Amp. So actual electric power for all system was 500-800 W. That's why I am thinking to use battery bank power for that purpose.
Dj-Ali 12:48 PM - 12 October, 2017
Hello everyone, do I get a generator based on RMS sound or Peak power?
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:53 PM - 12 October, 2017
Quote:
Hello everyone, do I get a generator based on RMS sound or Peak power?

refer to the wealth of knowledge above or see this post serato.com
Mr DJ Guy 12:55 PM - 14 March, 2018
Hi everyone,
i recently i got 2x - TS212 1100-WATT speakers
and also got 1x - TS215S 1250-WATT Base bin sub
i found out for the TS212 the 1100 W peak and 550 W continuous
do i add both peak and continuous to my total currently looking at a 4000watt maybe 5000 watt..
is the peak the start up watts required ?
need to run 1 deck soundboard. laptop. possibly smoke machine or lights but they just be cheap 40w.
i want to buy the generator but got no clue where heard honda is pretty good.
any advice would be great!
Mr DJ Guy 12:57 PM - 14 March, 2018
- p.s.
ive looked on ebay a little but got no idea if them generators are any good and prefer something quiet. normally id stick to main brands but still got no idea where to buy from.
Taipanic 1:44 PM - 14 March, 2018
You should be good with a 3k watt inverter generator. I have this one for 3 years now with no issues:
www.costco.com

FYI, fog machines & Halogen lights pull a lot of power, if you have issues that should be the first thing removed. LED lights are no issue.
Wes Brown 5:11 PM - 11 April, 2018
Do you need a generator with an inverter ? I will be doing a reception in a barn that has no power however my clients have a generator for me to use it is a preadator 8750 max . I am just concerned that it could ruin my rig .
Taipanic 7:33 PM - 11 April, 2018
Quote:
Do you need a generator with an inverter ? I will be doing a reception in a barn that has no power however my clients have a generator for me to use it is a preadator 8750 max . I am just concerned that it could ruin my rig .

There is always the chance to damage electronics as it is not putting out clean power. Those are also super loud. You should be able to rent a proper generator for under $100.00, better to do it right than to take the chance of damaging your equipment and having the quality of your party diminished by a super loud generator. My generator would run 20db quieter than this predator, that is a lot of noise.
Wes Brown 1:12 AM - 12 April, 2018
Thank you for your input. If they were to run an extension cord from a dedicated power supply what would the maximum distance be so i wouldn’t take a chance on damaging anything?
Rebelguy 2:53 AM - 12 April, 2018
Quote:
Thank you for your input. If they were to run an extension cord from a dedicated power supply what would the maximum distance be so i wouldn’t take a chance on damaging anything?

Depends on the gauge if wiring. If you had 10/3 or 12/3 you could run 100-150 feet with a small loss of voltage.
Wes Brown 9:18 PM - 24 April, 2018
Will a Honda 300 inverter generator run 2 Mackie srm450 series 1 , 88 channel mackie mixer , numark nv2 and a few lights ?
Wes Brown 9:24 PM - 24 April, 2018
8 channel sorry about that?
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:26 PM - 24 April, 2018
do your maths and find out
Spins 5:48 AM - 24 May, 2018
Fellas, I need your help. I have to rent a generator for an outdoor event and wonder what size power do I need? This will be my setup:

3 - Mackie SRM 450
2 - QSC K12.2
1- QSC KW181(subwoofer)
1- Alto TSSUB18 (subwoofer)
1- Macbook Pro
1- Pioneer DDJSX controller
2 - Pioneer CDJ-1000 turntables
1- Shure Wireless mic
1- 4 TB G-drive

Thanks!!
Taipanic 3:25 PM - 29 May, 2018
Quote:
Fellas, I need your help. I have to rent a generator for an outdoor event and wonder what size power do I need? This will be my setup:

3 - Mackie SRM 450
2 - QSC K12.2
1- QSC KW181(subwoofer)
1- Alto TSSUB18 (subwoofer)
1- Macbook Pro
1- Pioneer DDJSX controller
2 - Pioneer CDJ-1000 turntables
1- Shure Wireless mic
1- 4 TB G-drive

Thanks!!

I would recommend a 3-6k watt inverter generator - 6k or bigger if you will be pushing the subs hard.
Spins 6:38 PM - 29 May, 2018
Ok perfect. They have a 6500 watt generator at Home Depot that I can rent for the day for about $85.00. Thanks a lot for your help.
Spins 6:43 PM - 29 May, 2018
Just for reference this is the generator I'm going to rent.

www.homedepot.com
Taipanic 7:51 PM - 29 May, 2018
Quote:
Just for reference this is the generator I'm going to rent.

www.homedepot.com

No, that's not an inverter generator. It will be loud and may damage your equipment. You need something like this:
www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com

You should be able to rent one of these for around the same price. I rent the 7000 watt model for bigger gigs for around $80/weekend in my area.
Spins 9:32 PM - 29 May, 2018
Oh wow! Thank you very much for correcting me on this. So the generator that I want to rent is basically my backup power source in case the power goes out on the outdoor outlets.
In your opinion, if the power goes out and I need to run my equipment off a generator can I rent a 3000 watt one like the one below and just NOT use one OR both of my subwoofers?

www.homedepot.com
Taipanic 1:53 PM - 30 May, 2018
Quote:
Oh wow! Thank you very much for correcting me on this. So the generator that I want to rent is basically my backup power source in case the power goes out on the outdoor outlets.
In your opinion, if the power goes out and I need to run my equipment off a generator can I rent a 3000 watt one like the one below and just NOT use one OR both of my subwoofers?

www.homedepot.com

Yes, I would say if you use one sub and not push everything to the limit that should be fine.
Spins 10:36 PM - 2 June, 2018
Thanks a lot Taipanic you've been extremely helpful!
RR437T 11:43 PM - 2 June, 2018
It would be a good idea to use something to decouple your electronics from the generator, like an APC unit with a battery. If the power fluctuates enough, it could reset your controller, mixer, etc... Everything would have the same protection your laptop has. If something happens, everything keeps working.
DJ Reflex 4:54 AM - 4 June, 2018
Just did a wedding Sat night with a generator... Thing took a dive on me and fried my power conditioner. Smoke was coming out of the outlets!!! All the rest of the gear was safe though - I guess it did it's job.
577er 2:04 PM - 4 June, 2018
Quote:
Just did a wedding Sat night with a generator... Thing took a dive on me and fried my power conditioner. Smoke was coming out of the outlets!!! All the rest of the gear was safe though - I guess it did it's job.

That’s terrifying. What happened and what kind of power conditioner were you using?
577er 2:05 PM - 4 June, 2018
Quote:

That’s terrifying. What happened and what kind of power conditioner were you using?
DJ Reflex 4:22 AM - 5 June, 2018
I have a cheap Furman. It's nothing more than a glorified powerstrip. I tore it apart today and found two solder joints melted off and a lot of arcing (burnt spots) on the coil. I repaired the solder... we'll see what happens when I test it later this week. All the rest of the gear is fine though. Easy fix as far as I'm concerned, but yeah - terrifying!
Taipanic 1:48 PM - 5 June, 2018
Quote:
I have a cheap Furman. It's nothing more than a glorified powerstrip.

Yeah, that is the case for many of the conditioners & surge protectors on the market. The ones with real protection and power cleaning run into the several hundreds of dollars price range. There have been a few good threads on ProSoundWeb about them, including breakdown of internal components of several models. Do a search in either the Lab or Lab Lounge forums. Using a quality UPS (for your table gear, not amplifiers) is always a good idea too, even more so when using a generator.
DJ Reflex 3:19 AM - 6 June, 2018
^^ Thanks ^^
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:54 PM - 6 June, 2018
Quote:
I have a cheap Furman. It's nothing more than a glorified powerstrip. I tore it apart today and found two solder joints melted off and a lot of arcing (burnt spots) on the coil. I repaired the solder... we'll see what happens when I test it later this week. All the rest of the gear is fine though. Easy fix as far as I'm concerned, but yeah - terrifying!

Bruh, you're not trying to use that one again, are you?
577er 3:01 AM - 7 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Bruh, you're not trying to use that one again, are you?

😂
This is a straight up Pet Cemetery scenario waiting to happen.
DJ Reflex 5:10 AM - 7 June, 2018
Pet Cemetery... LOL I'll test it out extensively first.
Matt madman 8:09 AM - 9 June, 2018
How can I run a rokkit krk 8 in the park
RR437T 4:42 PM - 9 June, 2018
These are better than Furman. You can plug anything into them, even amps. (Yes, I know you can plug amps into just about any line protection device. The Brickwall won't suck the life out of them like most of the others do.) Prices are very reasonable.

www.brickwall.com
Spirit 12:11 AM - 19 June, 2018
Ive spent 3 hours for researching and I’m still lost. Hope somebody will help.

I’m looking for QUITE UNIT who can support my equipment. Please give me something from website:

amazon.co.uk

I Play mostly - Techno/Deep House/House/Drum & Bass - I assume I will play 90% of max volume all the time.

First Scenario Setup - Full Event for 3-6 hours:

1x Macbook Pro 2016 Retina
1x Allen Heath Xone PX5
2x Xone K2 Controllers through usb port connected to Macbook Pro…
1x Ableton Push 2 with AC adapter + Connected with USB to Macbook Pro
1x Electro Voice ZLX12P (TOP ACTIVE)
2x American DJ Inno Spot LED
1x Martin Magnum 1800 - Will use maybe each 20-30 minutes for 30-sec - 1 minute smoke
1x iPhone charging

———————————————————————â
€”—————————————————

Second Scenario Setup - Full Event for 3-6 hours

2x Electro Voice ZLX15P (TOPS Active)
1x Electro Voice ELX 18P (Subwoofer Active)
4x ADJ Mega Tripar Profile Plus LED Par Can
1x Martin Magnum 1800 - Will use maybe each 20-30 minutes for 30-sec - 1 minute smoke
1x Allen Heath Xone PX5 Mixer
3x Xone K2 Controllers through USB HUB plugged into Macbook Pro 2016
1x Windows Laptop
1x iPhone Charging

THANK YOU!!!
Spirit 12:13 AM - 19 June, 2018

I’m looking for QUITE UNIT who can handle my equipment. Please give me something from website:

amazon.co.uk

I Play mostly - Techno/Deep House/House/Drum & Bass - I assume I will play 90% of max volume all the time.

1x Allen Heath Xone PX5
1x iPhone charging

———————————————————————â
€”—————————————————

1x Windows Laptop
1x iPhone Charging

THANK YOU!!!
Spirit 12:14 AM - 19 June, 2018

I’m looking for QUITE UNIT who can handle my equipment. Please give me something from website:

Amazon UK website please.

1x Allen Heath Xone PX5
1x iPhone charging

———————————————————————â
€”—————————————————

1x Windows Laptop
1x iPhone Charging

THANK YOU!!!
Spirit 12:21 AM - 19 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
2 Pioneer 1000's MKIII
TTM57 SL
Macbook Pro 2.66 i7

2 Pioneer 1000's MKIII = 2 amps
TTM57 SL = 1 amp
2 Mackie Powered SR 1530z (500-700 RMS watts Each) = 8+8 = 16 amps
1 QSC HPR 181i (700 watts RMS) = 2.5 amps
Macbook Pro 2.66 i7 = 1 amp
total amps = 22.5 amps total

amps x volts = total wattage
22.5amps x 120volts = 2700 watts required to power your system.
you will need a 3000 watt generator minimum or higher for head room.

1x Allen Heath Xone PX5
1x iPhone charging

———————————————————————â
€”—————————————————

1x Windows Laptop
1x iPhone Charging

THANK YOU!!!
Spirit 12:23 AM - 19 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
I have a cheap Furman. It's nothing more than a glorified powerstrip.

Yeah, that is the case for many of the conditioners & surge protectors on the market. The ones with real protection and power cleaning run into the several hundreds of dollars price range. There have been a few good threads on ProSoundWeb about them, including breakdown of internal components of several models. Do a search in either the Lab or Lab Lounge forums. Using a quality UPS (for your table gear, not amplifiers) is always a good idea too, even more so when using a generator.

1x Allen Heath Xone PX5
1x iPhone charging

———————————————————————â
€”—————————————————

1x Windows Laptop
1x iPhone Charging

THANK YOU!!!
Spirit 10:25 AM - 19 June, 2018

1x Allen Heath Xone PX5
1x iPhone charging
Spirit 10:27 AM - 19 June, 2018

1x Windows Laptop
1x iPhone Charging

THANK YOU!!!
Aptidda 11:21 PM - 20 June, 2018
I run pretty large and impressive gigs off of solar panels. I had Solar City create a travelling solar power station. I am able to run 4 tower speakers, 2 18" subs, lighting, and all gear for 12 hours with no issues.
DJ Reflex 7:54 AM - 21 June, 2018
Quote:
I run pretty large and impressive gigs off of solar panels. I had Solar City create a travelling solar power station. I am able to run 4 tower speakers, 2 18" subs, lighting, and all gear for 12 hours with no issues.

On a cloudy night no less!!!
DjWhiteChocolate 12:37 AM - 22 August, 2018
Quote:
Someone wants me to dj this outside event but informed me that I would have to use a power generator. Ive never used one and really dont know too much about them. Any idea where I can rent one and which kinds should I be looking at? Any precautions? I'm scared to use my good gear for this gig.

Honda Inverter generator. Home Depot rents them, selection and size depends on your location. I'm in coastal VA; a 3K generator was around $80/day. It's quiet, reliable, and fuel efficient. If you're concerned about your gear, use a power conditioner.. however if you DJ in older buildings like us, the A/C you most likely run your gear off may have more power spikes than the Honda EU series will give. Have I used them to run my rig? No, but the DJ I work with uses a much more powerful (and LOUD) generator to power his outdoor gear for beach weddings, etc. We are converting to the Honda EU series this year.
DjWhiteChocolate 12:44 AM - 22 August, 2018
Quote:

1x Allen Heath Xone PX5
1x iPhone charging

www.amazon.co.uk

Check out the Honda EU series. I'm in the states, so I'm not at all familiar with the dj and power equipment needs unique to the UK. However, the term "quiet" translates globally, and everyone can appreciate fuel efficient power equipment. The honda inverter generators are incredibly quiet. I have camped right next to a travel trailer running a larger 3k watt on 50% load and barely heard it. Hope this helps.
deezlee 2:14 AM - 22 August, 2018
For beach weddings and things like that I suggest a Agm deep cycle battery and an inverter.
When you buy the battery it is fully charged so you can pick one up real quick if unexpectedly needed.
Put it in a nice box and yer dialed.
DJ Luv Keyz 7:00 PM - 24 August, 2018
Hey all. I am an upcoming DJ and have a gig in a park. Of course there are no outlets.

I will be using a ddj sr2, 2 qsc 12.2 and a mac book pro, mic. Help!!!! And advice is greatly appreciated
Aptidda 8:14 PM - 24 August, 2018
Quote:
Hey all. I am an upcoming DJ and have a gig in a park. Of course there are no outlets.

I will be using a ddj sr2, 2 qsc 12.2 and a mac book pro, mic. Help!!!! And advice is greatly appreciated

Run an extension cord to your car and plug in a 1500W Auto Power Inverter for Car DC 12V to 110V AC which can be found here:

www.sears.com

Make sure the car is running the entire time and your G2G!
DJRUFIO 8:22 PM - 29 August, 2018
Hi crew!

So I'm looking to purchase a generator for my mobile DJ crew and am trying to figure out what I would need. The times we've needed generators are mostly for ceremony systems (1 QSC K-12, a Mackie mixer, some mics, and a laptop) but I was interested in potentially getting something that would power my entire system if needed (I've ran an old system off of a 2k or 3k generator before, I just don't remember the make/model since it wasn't a Honda).

This is the biggest setup I'd think I'd use the generator for:
2x QSC K-12s (or KW-152s)
1x QSC KW-181
2x Technics 1200 M3D's
1x Pioneer DJM S9
2017 15 inch touchbar MBP
assorted lower draw items such as a mackie mixer, dbx gorack, and wireless mic receivers

(and potentially my lighting rid... 2x Chauvet Core 3x3s if power allows)

I'm intrigued by the Goal Zero Yeti 3000, the specs seem like it would work but does anyone have experience running PA gear off their products? www.goalzero.com

I'm in between a Honda generator or the goal zero, I know the goal zero is insanely expensive but I think it would be handy for camping and tailgating. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
deezlee 12:23 AM - 30 August, 2018
You could make a heavy agm version of the goalzero for like 6 hundred bucks
350 for the battery plus an inverter and a charger.
Taipanic 1:56 PM - 30 August, 2018
Quote:
Hi crew!

So I'm looking to purchase a generator for my mobile DJ crew and am trying to figure out what I would need. The times we've needed generators are mostly for ceremony systems (1 QSC K-12, a Mackie mixer, some mics, and a laptop) but I was interested in potentially getting something that would power my entire system if needed (I've ran an old system off of a 2k or 3k generator before, I just don't remember the make/model since it wasn't a Honda).

This is the biggest setup I'd think I'd use the generator for:
2x QSC K-12s (or KW-152s)
1x QSC KW-181
2x Technics 1200 M3D's
1x Pioneer DJM S9
2017 15 inch touchbar MBP
assorted lower draw items such as a mackie mixer, dbx gorack, and wireless mic receivers

(and potentially my lighting rid... 2x Chauvet Core 3x3s if power allows)

I'm intrigued by the Goal Zero Yeti 3000, the specs seem like it would work but does anyone have experience running PA gear off their products? www.goalzero.com

I'm in between a Honda generator or the goal zero, I know the goal zero is insanely expensive but I think it would be handy for camping and tailgating. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'd go with a Honda 3k inverter generator unless you have an absolute need for the total silence of the Goal Zero. Downsides for the Goal Zero is when it runs out of juice you're done, can't just add more fuel, plus it takes 25 hrs to recharge.
I own a Champion inverter generator, 3200 watts peak, 2800 normal. It can run on gas or propane. Enough to power an 18" sub, 2 tops, and all other required DJ gear (decks, mixer, mic, some LED lights).
deezlee 8:00 PM - 30 August, 2018
Yeah I like my battery unit and I suggest it to anyone who asks but yeah use a generator if the noise doesn't matter.
I use my battery for wedding ceremonies and stuff like that. Miked a funeral on a beach the other day quiet and unobtrusive was crucial.
José Houle 4:47 PM - 11 October, 2018
Hi everybody,
I plan a party in the wood and I want to buy a used generator.

I don't understand the consumption of Mackie SRM450W
It's indicated 240W on the nameplate.
I have 4 speakers so 4x 240W = 960W total..
+ a laptop

I think a 2500W peak generator should be good enough.

Im I wrong?

Also, is there some highvoltage risk from the generator that could damage the amplifiers?

thank you!
Taipanic 5:02 PM - 15 October, 2018
Quote:

Quote:

I think a 2500W peak generator should be good enough.

Im I wrong?

No
Quote:

Also, is there some highvoltage risk from the generator that could damage the amplifiers?

thank you!

Not using an inverter type generator may cause voltage fluctuations that can damage sensitive electronic equipment.

José Houle 7:18 PM - 15 October, 2018
Thank you Taipanic
Is using a Voltage Regulator would help reduce risk ?
(with a regular generator)

www.amazon.ca

Is the amplified speakers are considered as "sensitive electronic equipment"
..or mostly computers, consoles etc..

Thank you
Taipanic 1:44 PM - 16 October, 2018
Quote:
Thank you Taipanic
Is using a Voltage Regulator would help reduce risk ?
(with a regular generator)

www.amazon.ca

Is the amplified speakers are considered as "sensitive electronic equipment"
..or mostly computers, consoles etc..

Thank you

I won't connect any of my gear to these small non-inverter generators. You may not have any issues but to me, it's not worth the risk. Most modern gear would fall under the sensitive electronic equipment category.
DJ Reflex 4:22 AM - 17 October, 2018
I've used all my Mackie SRM 450's on several generators. If you have the v1 series with the turoidal transformer, you'll be fine. If you have v2 or v3 with switching power supply, you might have issues.

You can get a voltage regulator if you like, but you might also want to pick one of these gizmos up to test your voltages and current draw. Very handy!

www.amazon.ca
José Houle 2:13 PM - 19 October, 2018
Thank you DJ Reflex
I can i determine the version of my Mackies?
They are made in Italy
MFG date is : 0M1106, 0M1103, 0M1103, and 0M1103
Would you reccommend me a specific voltage regulator?
What do you think about the APC LE1200

www.apc.com

Thank you!

DJ Reflex 10:48 PM - 19 October, 2018
The gray heavy ones are v.1. Also, the fact that they were made in Italy confirms it.

I'm not an expert on voltage regulators though, but any decent generator will output 110-120 volt consistently. You should be fine with that APC unit as well - can't hurt to have extra protection! Good luck.
José Houle 2:46 PM - 20 October, 2018
Thank you DJ Reflex !
Very appreciated!
Kenny Rogers 4:54 AM - 2 February, 2019
I see I am a little late to comment to some of your questions but I wanted to caution any one doing out door setups with a Generator. I had 2 costly lessons doing this.
1. I was doing the sound reinforcement for a concert in Berryville, VA yrs ago and I ordered a large generator from a local rental company with the instructions that it be computer ready. They delivered the unit but the prior customer had rewired it for a 220 volt output on the 20 A receptacles. I found out the hard way when we plugged in my 120 volt distribution and fried a power conditioner and several pieces of equipment. Always check voltage before you plug in.
2. Recently I was setting up an outdoor project for Teen Challenge of Baltimore and was about 90 % done with all the power and equipment when one of the volunteers plugged in the main power line and started the generator for me. Before I could stop him I heard 2 new powered speakers whistle and pop, Never to be used again. The Generator voltage raise as it started fried the power supplies and turned them into door stops. You should always start the generator before switching on equipment.
I hope this helps but as long as you take a little time to double check voltages and start up procedures generators and the outdoors can be a great experience.
The Balance King 4:14 PM - 11 February, 2019
Thank you everyone for this thread and the excellent information contained herein. I've read most of it, and I'd like to confirm that my calculations are correct.

I started volunteering DJ services for a mobile food pantry in my area (I'm in the US) during one of their monthly food distributions, and we need a generator to power my rig (which is fairly minimal compared to most here). During the last gig (my first time doing this with them), my gear ate through two UPS that the organization provided, fairly quickly. (I don't have the model info on the UPSs at the moment, sorry.) They are willing to purchase a generator for future events, to continue adding the music element to the food distribution, and I've specified it needs to be an inverter-type. Before they go ahead with the purchase, I need to let them know what my power needs are.

I use Ableton + midi controller to mix with, so my gear is a little different than what most of you are using here, of course the math is still the same! My rig consists of the following:

1x Hafler P3000 Transnova power amp
2x Alesis Monitor One speakers
1x Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz i7 Retina (2014)
1x Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 audio interface (or 18i20 as backup if 6i6 ever fails)
1x Livid OhmRGB midi controller (draws USB power from laptop)
1x Moog Subsequent 37 (I didn't use this last time, and most likely won't for these gigs, but including to be comprehensive)

Based on what I've read in this thread, I expect my approximate power usage to be as follows:

power amp = 5 A (max) = 600 W
speakers = don't count because they're accounted for by the amp?
laptop = 1 A (rounding up) = 120 W (it's really 85 W, but better to overestimate than under)
audio interface = 1 A (being generous) = 120 W
midi controller = negligible
Moog Sub37 = 13 W (from the manual - "Input Voltage" section)

So that seems to add up to 853 W total (and that's at the highest possible usage, in reality will be somewhat under this), unless I'm missing something or using a wrong figure somewhere.

If this is accurate, I could probably have them get a smaller generator close to 1000-1100 W, but if they can afford something in the ~2000 W range, I'm going to advocate for that, so we'll have more flexibility if the setup changes/expands (i.e. I get a better PA or a sub), or if they're working with a different DJ/setup, at a different event. I also plan to run to the generator into one of the UPSs, and then run a surge protector/power conditioner off that (they're the cheap ones, not the high-end ones), then plug my gear in at that point in the power chain. The Honda EU series is a little beyond their price range at the moment, so this is the generator we are looking at:

www.amazon.com

Any feedback/advice/suggestions are most welcome. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with that particular generator, or suggestions for anything better in that price range. I'm also curious, just for my general knowledge, if it would be possible to safely run a rig off a standard (non-inverter) generator, if a UPS device is used between the generator and the electronics.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, there's a ton of fantastic information in here, and it's been tremendously helpful in figuring all this out!

Bless.
DJ Reflex 12:27 AM - 12 February, 2019
It looks like you've done some homework on this. And yes, you are pretty spot on.

Little generators like that are great for low noise (very quiet) and adequate power for small rigs, but they do not last very long on fuel. It says 4.5 hours, but that's at minimal load. I've burned through a tank of gas on those in less than 2 hours before.

Also, you might want to get one of these to check output voltage. The only time I've ever burned up a power block is with the wrong (usually too high) voltage output. One generator had a faulty voltage regulator ans was spitting out 170 volts instead of the standard 120v. My gear survived, but the power hub fried.

www.amazon.com
The Balance King 1:54 PM - 12 February, 2019
Thank you DJ Reflex! I wanted to make sure I know how to figure it, rather than just ask for an answer, as the knowledge will continue to serve me no matter what situation I find myself in.

Sage advice, I will definitely pick up a Kill A Watt, to make sure I know what I’m dealing with in any scenario.

Question regarding the fuel efficiency - since I plan to run the generator into a UPS, would it cause any kind of weird spikes or other undesirable behavior to turn off the generator to refuel then crank it back up? The UPS should be able to handle that and continue delivering consistent power to my rig? The org I’m working with does have 2 of the UPSs, so I could always daisy chain those if necessary for extra precaution. Alternatively, can these be refueled without powering down?

Many thanks!!
DJ Reflex 5:42 PM - 12 February, 2019
I'm not sure on that one... I never shut down a generator when things are plugged into it (in operation of course). You can get all kinds of low voltage brown-outs or even voltage spikes from that. I don't use UPS though - you might be OK with that.

But yes, you can add fuel while it's running.
The Balance King 9:25 PM - 12 February, 2019
Cool, that's good to know. I might have to take that particular question to the manufacturer of the generator/UPS directly. If I find out, I'll report back. Thank you again!!
Taipanic 10:29 PM - 20 February, 2019
Quote:
Cool, that's good to know. I might have to take that particular question to the manufacturer of the generator/UPS directly. If I find out, I'll report back. Thank you again!!

Get a 2000-3000 watt inverter type generator, like the Honda EU series, or cheaper alternatives like Champion or Predator. They are quiet, easy to transport and your gear should run fine with them. I have used all three of the brands listed with good results.
Phuture2 11:04 PM - 24 February, 2019
Quote:
I'm not sure on that one... I never shut down a generator when things are plugged into it (in operation of course). You can get all kinds of low voltage brown-outs or even voltage spikes from that. I don't use UPS though - you might be OK with that.

But yes, you can add fuel while it's running.

As a guide never fuel anything that is running. Major fire hazard and safety concern!
ECMENDEZ 4:50 AM - 17 March, 2019
I mainly dj for family I have been doing it for over seven years five to 10 gigs a year not much

I have a pair of Behringer Eurolive B215A Speaker that I have been using for several years.
I am trying to understand

Amps x voltage = wattage
Or
Amps = Wattage / voltage

how do I get accurate information? I read previous discussions in which someone said manufactures are not always accurate. I also do not play the speaker full blast the most is with the volume half way.

on the speakers it says 2-way 400-watt powered loudspeaker
On the manual it says Power Consumption is 450watt max

On Output Power Low - Frequency range
RMS @ 1% THD (sine wave) 200 W @ 8 Ω
Peak power is 320 W @ 8 Ω

I know voltage is 120 V~, 60 Hz

I am also trying to go off grid and at times I use generator. I would like the right information
how would I get the correct amp for the speaker

Knowing the right number will help me build the right battery and get the right invertor for the speaker
Taipanic 4:08 PM - 25 March, 2019
Calculate using max voltage to be safe, even though you will be using nowhere near that amount of power. For your setup, I'd use a 2000 watt inverter generator and call it a day. Move up to a 3000 watt if you are adding subs.
mardy 6:59 PM - 4 June, 2019
ok I have 2 mackie powered 15 inch thumps-1000 watts each
1 mackie 18 inch powered sub-1200 watts
pioneer ddj1000
macbook air
is a honda eu2200 generator enough?
android15 5:34 PM - 5 June, 2019
I have a Numark NVII which I believe is 24w
A Lenovo Ideapad 330S which is 45 w
and then a QFX PBX-100 which has the following specs

Rechargeable Battery: 12V 7A
DC 12V Input
Power: AC 110-240V 60Hz-50Hz

The reason I'm asking is because we'll be going to a festival where they dont allow gas generators so we're going with the route of a deep cycle battery. I'm unfamiliar with these, so I'm wondering if someone has some insight on which type would work best, the type of adapters we would need and a charger as well. It's hard for me to determine the exact wattage coming from the speaker as well if someone could assist. Appreciate the insight!
DJ_NOOB 3:18 PM - 9 August, 2019
Hey guys, this year I will be hosting my first gig at a tailgate.
I have the following equipment available to me:
* 2x Bose f1 model 812
* 2x Bose f1 subwoofer
* 2x QSC k12 1000
What setup do you guys recommend, it will be a fraternity tailgate so it does not have to super big, just a nice respectable setup and also more importantly I am not trying to spend a lot of money on a generator. If you guys could tell me the preferred setup and the preferred generator that would be great. Thank you in advance.
Yours Sincerely,
DJ_NOOB
Papa Midnight 5:05 PM - 16 August, 2019
Quote:
* 2x QSC k12 1000

If It's just an outdoor tailgate party, then this seems to me like it would be just fine for coverage.
JAMES7670 8:19 AM - 10 March, 2020
Quote:
pioneer ddj1000
macbook air

You can even try the Westinghouse 4500 Watts genny. Quiet and reliable inverter dual-fuel generator (works on propane and gasoline). I find it quite versatile, with digital display showing watts and fuel level. I think it's even a little bit cheaper than Honda. Here is the review on it. pickadvisor.org
JAMES7670 8:19 AM - 10 March, 2020
Quote:
pioneer ddj1000
macbook air

You can even try the Westinghouse 4500 Watts genny. Quiet and reliable inverter dual-fuel generator (works on propane and gasoline). I find it quite versatile, with digital display showing watts and fuel level. I think it's even a little bit cheaper than Honda. Here is the review on it. pickadvisor.org
Phuture2 2:56 PM - 20 March, 2020
Look at the harbor freight Inverter types. Not bad and they work well
Phuture2 2:57 PM - 20 March, 2020
Look at the harbor freight Inverter types. Not bad and they work well