DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

3D Printed Records

DJ JT Stevens 7:17 PM - 21 December, 2012
Anyone else see this yet? The sound quality is still low but it's a pretty neat proof of concept.

www.engadget.com
reggae delgado 7:48 PM - 21 December, 2012
I saw this somewhere else as well, pretty cool. As mentioned, it sounds like crap but hey what more can you expect when printing a record in a printer!
As a guy who used to primarily play reggae I used to spend a lot of money getting dubplates pressed to wax. I still do tons of all vinyl events and have a stack of new dubs I'd like to press to vinyl but all my folks seem to have stopped doing one-off runs. I'd love to be able to press a few tracks to play on my 1200s... especially if all I had to do was press "print!" (And yes I now I can spend $25,000 on that vestax vinyl cutter).
DJ JT Stevens 12:29 AM - 22 December, 2012
Yeah, this definitely makes me think of the dubplate process. It will be really cool to see how this technology develops in the next few years, especially if they're able to bring it up to lossless quality.

Plus, if they can make this affordable I could see a lot of producers and turntable DJ's at least trying it out.