Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Looking for legit videopools hosting oldskool videoclips with top-notch audio

evillevi 9:40 AM - 15 December, 2012
Hello guys

I'v purchased the Pioneer DDJ-SX which came with a free SL-video plugin. I'm a bedroom/wedding dj and I'd love to take the plunge into VJ'ing. I have been searching the forum for legal places to download music clips from, but I couldn't find the answer to my questions.

- I need a videopool service for 'commercial' use, not 'promotional' use (as the latter is not legal if you earn profit by it I guess). I want everything to be 100 percent legit. I'm in the EU (Belgium).

- I am willing to pay, but I want to collect oldskool material (70s, 80s pop/rock, 90s metal/eurodance), and not by collecting compilation DVDs/compilation downloads as with the Promo Only service. I want something like Beatport, but for videos, a pay-per-download service. I don't care if it's 5 euros per clip, as long as the audio is high quality. As a matter of fact, I'm not so interested in the quality of the video! Ideally, the download should come with an invoice or something that states I've legally downloaded the video.

I used VJstreet's service once, but their clips have poor quality, and are for promotional use only.

Perhaps someone could tell me where to custom download oldies in a legal manner in the EU?

thanks in advance,
Levi
evillevi 9:48 AM - 15 December, 2012
And perhaps someone could tell me what 'promotional use' of videoclips exactly means, in the context of public performance? Is it legal to download and use promotional videoclips for public performance displays... as long as you don't broadcast the clips on youtube for example?
phatbob 10:42 AM - 15 December, 2012
You're in luck, because Xtendamix has just started a European operation.

They have exactly the sort of content you want, and are fully licenced for public performance in the EU.

They're basically the only fully legal option in Europe. It's a subscription service but you can buy extra credits while you build your library.

Xtendamix.eu
evillevi 10:44 AM - 15 December, 2012
Hey phatbob, thanks for your reply, I had just discovered the site! This is very good news. I hope other videopools will follow...
phatbob 10:47 AM - 15 December, 2012
I should have mentioned that Promo Only do offer a legal service in Europe too, but Xtendamix is the preferred choice for the type of videos you want. Promo Only is worth a look for contemporary stuff, but you'll find Xtendamix has all that too.
evillevi 11:47 AM - 15 December, 2012
But with Promo Only you cannot pick your videos, or am I mistaken.
phatbob 12:37 PM - 15 December, 2012
True. Generally Xtendamix is the better service all round.
evillevi 3:26 PM - 15 December, 2012
Quote:
True. Generally Xtendamix is the better service all round.

Well, it does seem to be a nice videopool service. Unfortunately, one cannot find all that they are looking for. I'm missing a site that sells hard rock and metal clips (legally), and almost everything from the 80s/90s in video format. As for the legal side, I assume you don't get any receipt with Xtendamix (or other sites for that matter), so I might as well download illegally from other forums where I will surely find the clips I want. Not that I want to.
phatbob 3:40 PM - 15 December, 2012
Xtendamix have the widest selection of 80's and 90's I've seen anywhere.

Hard rock and metal is pretty niche, you might have to buy DVDs and do your own encoding.

The issue with downloading illegally, apart from the morality of it (I assume you get paid to DJ, so you should probably pay the artists, no?), is that you can't rely on the quality of the encoding.

Poorly encoded files WILL cause crashes and bad performance in Serato Video. Simple as that.

So if you want tracks that aren't available in pools, the only SAFE option is to buy DVDs and encode them to the correct format yourself. With older videos you will often need to edit the video with a lossless copy of the original audio track to ensure best quality.

All that is expensive, difficult and time-consuming. But that is the world of video DJing.
Xtendamix 4:15 PM - 15 December, 2012
Let us know what 80s/90s rock videos you want and we will try to source them. You do get a receipt when you pay for your membership and it is licensed with the VPL
evillevi 9:03 PM - 15 December, 2012
Quote:
The issue with downloading illegally, apart from the morality of it (I assume you get paid to DJ, so you should probably pay the artists, no?), is that you can't rely on the quality of the encoding.

All that is expensive, difficult and time-consuming. But that is the world of video DJing.

Actually, most of the time I don't get paid for my performance. I work hard to earn money I can spend on my biggest love: music. I promote artists, and organize public events with free entrance. But since I want to organize on a more serious level (not necessarily large scale), I would need more money than I could ever earn, e.g. to buy the necessary material/music. Playing illegal stuff even of good quality is against my values, let alone making money out of it. This is way I speak of frustration; I love music and I want to do something with it, I may one day make some profit out of my efforts... I do want to be able to legally purchase a song, I just might not find it except on vinyl in less than perfect condition. At least with music, I will find what I'm looking for, albeit after some considerable time.

I'm not concerned with spending a lot of time collecting videos, and editing. I just need to know where to find the videos, where to obtain information on remastering the audio (newbie in this). It seems I'm on the right track, thanks to you.
evillevi 9:05 PM - 15 December, 2012
Quote:
Let us know what 80s/90s rock videos you want and we will try to source them. You do get a receipt when you pay for your membership and it is licensed with the VPL

Thanks for clarifying. I will post some titles later on.
DJ DisGrace 9:05 PM - 15 December, 2012
Quote:
where to obtain information on remastering the audio (newbie in this). It seems I'm on the right track

look for A-Swift's tutorial on remuxing here on the forum
www.vjaswift.com
djnak 10:28 PM - 15 December, 2012
Quote:
Hello guys

I'v purchased the Pioneer DDJ-SX which came with a free SL-video plugin. I'm a bedroom/wedding dj and I'd love to take the plunge into VJ'ing. I have been searching the forum for legal places to download music clips from, but I couldn't find the answer to my questions.

WTF? this guy wants to know legit places and actually searched before he asked......

Xtendamix is a great choice for you man very diverse catalog and they are LEGIT.

Read lots in these forums you'll learn tons!!!Judging by they way you ask questions you'll figure out the good from the bad.
evillevi 12:58 AM - 16 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Read lots in these forums you'll learn tons!!!Judging by they way you ask questions you'll figure out the good from the bad.

I'm liking it here, I'm learning. I'll have two weeks off soon, so plenty of time to catch up reading on the subject.
Xtendamix 1:39 AM - 16 December, 2012
This forum is pretty helpful for everything and anything you need. Very knowledgeable and educated group of guys
First Aid 10:59 AM - 16 December, 2012
Xtendamix is the answer.
They have a huge 80's catalog and good reggae and 90's dance collection.
I wish I lived in Canada or in Europe.
I've been waiting here in the US for the next big news from them for a long long time....sigh..it's already end of 2012...
evillevi 2:27 PM - 16 December, 2012
Well, thanks for your help, guys. I'm going to register with Xtendamix. I could indeed find a lot. I'll let them know the titles I could not find in the database. Glad to have finally found a legit site hosting the clips I need.
DJDaveOtt 5:38 PM - 16 December, 2012
+1 on xtendamix. I was with them for a couple years before I learned how to do my own edits. Great service, they will get you requested content, and one of the only good sources for country music videos.
evillevi 5:49 PM - 16 December, 2012
I wonder how they can keep the price of videos so cheap, if you know single MP3s cost around one euro with iTunes, Beatport etc. Anyway, hats off to Xtendamix.
DJRemixEnt 7:10 PM - 16 December, 2012
Quote:
I wonder how they can keep the price of videos so cheap, if you know single MP3s cost around one euro with iTunes, Beatport etc. Anyway, hats off to Xtendamix.

shhhhhh.... dont be givin em any ideas...lol
evillevi 5:51 PM - 22 December, 2012
Quote:
Let us know what 80s/90s rock videos you want and we will try to source them. You do get a receipt when you pay for your membership

But not for your downloaded tracks. There is no way to prove you downloaded a track legally via Xtendamix?
phatbob 6:25 PM - 22 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Let us know what 80s/90s rock videos you want and we will try to source them. You do get a receipt when you pay for your membership

But not for your downloaded tracks. There is no way to prove you downloaded a track legally via Xtendamix?

Surely the same applies to ANY digital download. Don't really understand why you want this.

The videos are all tagged with 'Xtendamix' and it is easy to prove that you are an Xtendamix subscriber. So why would you need anything more?
evillevi 7:26 PM - 22 December, 2012
Quote:
Surely the same applies to ANY digital download. Don't really understand why you want this.

The videos are all tagged with 'Xtendamix' and it is easy to prove that you are an Xtendamix subscriber. So why would you need anything more?

You're right, the videos are tagged in the beginning. I'm just concerned with legal matters. But then I realize videos are for promotional use in public events, so why would they bother to check every video my laptop/external drive holds. Perhaps I need to get more informed about copyright in my country.
Xtendamix 5:51 AM - 24 December, 2012
@evillevi

The VPL gets a complete list of all members and downloads should they decide to check. All videos have the Xtendamix logo as the artwork and we have a list of all members
willthedjay 9:48 PM - 20 May, 2013
@xtendamix , why are you limited to Europe and Canada?im in the eastern part of Africa how can i get access to your video pool if i'm interested ?
DJRemixEnt 10:25 PM - 20 May, 2013
Quote:
can i get access to your video pool if i'm interested ?

you gotta become one of these guys: southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com
willthedjay 10:34 PM - 20 May, 2013
Haha funny.