Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Can't easily see the "played" tracks (grey color not good)

ehfemia 2:09 PM - 13 December, 2012
The grey color indicating what tracks have been played being grey is not enough contrast against the white of not played tracks. Please go with a high contrast color like orange, etc.
THANKS!
Serato, Support
Jamie W 10:20 PM - 13 December, 2012
Hey Ehfemia,

This is something I cant really help you with but this is a valid request I can move it over to the "Feature Suggestion Area" so that if there are other people that feel this way they can join the discussion. If enough people support the idea it may be something we may consider changing.

Thanks.
10:21 PM, 13 Dec 2012
Discussion moved to Serato DJ Feature Suggestions
Simon Love Carter 1:08 AM - 14 December, 2012
Everybody is complaining about!! :) I think you have it already on your future upgrade plans oh yeah!
Jam-Master Jake 5:36 AM - 14 December, 2012
+1 Yeah, I have a thread on this already. Serato knows about it and will hopefully fix this in the next version of the software.
Dj Wunder 2:31 AM - 19 December, 2012
I haven't seen a single forum member who digs the new dark grey. I'd like to see it in SDJ Orange
Richness 12:42 AM - 20 December, 2012
+1 I would also like a different and a more easily identifiable color scheme for played tracks. Thank you
Funkeybro 12:24 PM - 21 December, 2012
+1 - grey is a really non-user friendly choice.
djeks 2:12 PM - 21 December, 2012
PPl been talking about this +1, Pls give us back the Green!!!!
Club Ample 4:55 PM - 21 December, 2012
I feel the grey is very hard to read and quite annoying to use, I would prefer the green like in scratch live. Obviously giving some sort of option in the settings would be the ultimate, but this grey only has got to go!
Simon Love Carter 7:49 PM - 21 December, 2012
Check my graphic enhancement here

img849.imageshack.us
Dj Wunder 9:04 PM - 22 December, 2012
Quote:
Check my graphic enhancement here

img849.imageshack.us

Do that in SDJ orange and you've got a winner
Samuel Diaz 10:49 PM - 22 December, 2012
what would be amazing is if you could pick which colour you wanted it to be, give users the choice, that way nobody could moan about it lol
Simon Love Carter 1:37 AM - 23 December, 2012
I did it in orange but it's confusing bocause of the waveforms that are warm color mostly.
So I made an old shcool sample with a flashing green. I think it's the best for our eyes!!
Check it out!

img846.imageshack.us
Funkeybro 7:08 AM - 23 December, 2012
Green's a winner, the blue was OK too. But anything is gonna be better than grey.
Simon Love Carter 2:10 PM - 23 December, 2012
we hope serato stuff is reading all this shit we are writing and showing!!! Are you there people from new zeland??? :) Merry Xmas to you all!!
Serato, Support
Jamie W 9:17 PM - 23 December, 2012
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your feedback.

Simon Love Carter,

Yes we are aware of this feature request. If enough people support the idea it may be something we may consider changing. Thats all the information I have at the moment.

Thanks.
Simon Love Carter 11:22 PM - 23 December, 2012
just a final question... How do you check how many people supports a request? Do you mean people as us customers or people in your stuff?
Can you give as a tool inside the forum to make surveys for our suggetion? It would be easier for you to understand who really supports a specific idea!!
Serato, Support
Jamie W 12:40 AM - 24 December, 2012
Hey Simon Love Carter,

When I say "People" I mean, as in users on this forum and users of SERATO products.
We are always working hard to improve our products and have systems in place to gather information efficiently from our forums and users out there.

Thanks for your feedback though. I will pass that suggestion on for you.
DeeJay Staas 10:31 AM - 24 December, 2012
+1
Airbullet 6:48 PM - 24 December, 2012
Please do like in Scratch Live. Green color, was one of the good decision. Very hard to work in the club, when all tracks color gray.

+1
Dj Wunder 10:17 PM - 24 December, 2012
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your feedback.

Simon Love Carter,

Yes we are aware of this feature request. If enough people support the idea it may be something we may consider changing. Thats all the information I have at the moment.

Thanks.

I think it's safe to say that EVERY Serato DJ user supports this idea.
serkan 2:54 PM - 25 December, 2012
I do!
+1
DJ Baby Raj 5:43 AM - 26 December, 2012
+1 Green in itch was nice.
wadup 3:13 PM - 26 December, 2012
+1
saNppa 8:10 AM - 27 December, 2012
Quote:
We are always working hard to improve our products and...

If you feel that work load is way too heavy, you should start firing the people that has made these upgrades, that really are downgrades. For example this issue is NOT a feature suggestion. This is Serato software engineers to fix the downgrade they have caused.

Serato DJ has few wonderful improvements and thank you for them. At the same time there are two dozen things waiting to be fixed. Some of them came with Itch, some are totally new downgrades. This is funny, cos SeratoDJ is Itch 2.3 with new traktor like gui.

AAt this point, if only I could, I would rather use Itch2.1 with DDJ-SX.
dizzyrocks2001 2:46 PM - 27 December, 2012
I don't understand why there are so many quirky differences between DJ, ITCH, DJ Intro, and SSL. I thought Serato was moving towards a more "unified" software with a similar GUI across the board but instead the end user has to wrap his/her head around the many differences from one software to the next. "I want to switch to the 'night mode' skin... oh wait, I'm using DJ not ITCH so I can't", "I'm in the offline player and I want to toggle between time remaining and time elapsed... oops, I can't because ITCH's offline player has that feature and DJ doesn't.". Why not just make the played track color consistent between all the different programs? It's a minor issue but something I would think is easily fixable. I hope it's not going to take 50,000 complaints before it's fixed. Besides, I don't see any posts in the ITCH forum saying "please make the played tracks greyed like it is in DJ."
Dj Wunder 9:23 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Besides, I don't see any posts in the ITCH forum saying "please make the played tracks greyed like it is in DJ."

THIS
djemdub 2:49 AM - 29 December, 2012
+1
Mattatya 9:36 AM - 31 December, 2012
+1
H2H 12:51 PM - 2 January, 2013
+1
Simon Love Carter 1:09 PM - 2 January, 2013
+1
Dj Wunder 7:56 AM - 4 January, 2013
Oh wow, I just noticed after 3 months that there are actually scroll bars in SDJ! This dark grey has GOT TO GO
Simon Love Carter 1:32 PM - 4 January, 2013
???
[O/][iii][O/] 4:54 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
I don't understand why there are so many quirky differences between DJ, ITCH, DJ Intro, and SSL. I thought Serato was moving towards a more "unified" software with a similar GUI across the board but instead the end user has to wrap his/her head around the many differences from one software to the next. "I want to switch to the 'night mode' skin... oh wait, I'm using DJ not ITCH so I can't", "I'm in the offline player and I want to toggle between time remaining and time elapsed... oops, I can't because ITCH's offline player has that feature and DJ doesn't.". Why not just make the played track color consistent between all the different programs? It's a minor issue but something I would think is easily fixable. I hope it's not going to take 50,000 complaints before it's fixed. Besides, I don't see any posts in the ITCH forum saying "please make the played tracks greyed like it is in DJ."

Amen. We've been screaming about this for what seems like forever now. Not sure if I agree with this though "It's a minor issue". IMO, this is a major issue. Consistency is key very important for users who frequently bounce back and forth between these different Serato environments (which shouldn't be different at all).
DJ_Instigator 12:45 PM - 14 January, 2013
Quote:
...I don't see any posts in the ITCH forum saying "please make the played tracks greyed like it is in DJ."

Agree. PLEASE fix this one ASAP!
DEE JAY BASS 5:28 PM - 15 January, 2013
+1 The grey isn't as eye catching
tobias.jungnickel 7:06 AM - 17 January, 2013
+1
Simon Love Carter 11:44 AM - 17 January, 2013
It's clear enough. Serato stuff may took note about it bit I think we have to wait till next upgrade for itch users on spring...... what do you think guys?
saNppa 11:14 PM - 17 January, 2013
Serato should have fixed SDJ first and after that start making upgrages for Intro. Making money seems to be much more important than making excellent products. Even though SDJ has clear upgrades, it still has so many so stupid mistakes and downgrades, it's nearly unbelievable. That's why Itch2.1 can outtake SDJ anytime. It's just too bad it's not possible to use Itch with DDJ-SX. I'd ditch SDJ without a second thought.

Because their current money-comes-1st policy, I'm not expecting too much when Itch-controllers (like my Twitch) are supported by SDJ.
[O/][iii][O/] 5:03 PM - 18 January, 2013
Quote:
It's clear enough. Serato stuff may took note about it bit I think we have to wait till next upgrade for itch users on spring...... what do you think guys?

What do I think? I think Serato should have never released SDJ as a so-called UPgrade to ITCH if SDJ was going essentially be a DOWNgrade in a ridiculous number of areas. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard "where is X feature on SDJ that ITCH already and why is it missing" I could take myself and a few friends to Ruth's Chris tonight for steaks and cocktails. Boggles the mind as to what would possess them to make these types of decisions and begs the question of whether or not any of them are DJs themselves or ever bothered to consult working DJs who use there products. It would be funny if it wasn't so stupid.
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:22 PM - 14 February, 2013
+1 on this. My first night using SDJ was mostly difficult because of this one issue.
KABZ 6:03 AM - 17 February, 2013
+1
Rolando 8:32 AM - 19 February, 2013
Dear Serato,

Just updated to 1.1.2. HOW EFFING HARD IS IT TO MAKE THE PLAYED TRACKS GREEN?!?!?!

Please. Make it happen. We all want this feature.

Best,
Loyal User Since The Very Beginning
Markabre 10:53 AM - 19 February, 2013
+1
djemdub 2:32 PM - 19 February, 2013
The fix can't be that hard I'm sure, but I think there's stuff that has priority over this. For instance, all of the dj into controllers haven't gotten support yet. I was shocked to see the ns6 be the first itch controller to get it. I'm just happy its finally here for me.lol

But the fix would be pretty easy..
It'll look something like

if (track.played)
track.textColor = Color.blue;
else {
track.textColor = Color.black;
}
I'm pretty sure the software is not written in java though lol and I'm sure the naming convention is different and depending on what language its written, they would probably have to find the color values. Java has a color library built in so one can just put color.(any basic color)
viper9711 9:15 PM - 19 February, 2013
+1
Dj Wunder 9:56 PM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:
Dear Serato,Just updated to 1.1.2. HOW EFFING HARD IS IT TO MAKE THE PLAYED TRACKS GREEN?!?!?!Please. Make it happen. We all want this feature.Best,Loyal User Since The Very Beginning

+50 gagillion
vboyd666 3:53 AM - 20 February, 2013
+1 for eye catching blue, green, or orange, etc.

+100 for making the color customizable in the settings for users!!!
djpr 4:03 AM - 20 February, 2013
+1 I'm fine with SL Green
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:02 AM - 20 February, 2013
customizable like the cue point color but in settings

+101
serkan 11:59 AM - 20 February, 2013
Quote:
+1 I'm fine with SL Green

+1
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:15 PM - 20 February, 2013
-1 Green (Always hated that green)

but +1 that the grey is no good! It needs tobe a colour but i don't think it needs tobe a harsh bright colour.

Remember they already have used Orange for missing files a change from the Red/Pink colour they used before.

So Blue would really go with the software BUT then it would clash when you have selected that track as the select colour is Blue.
WhattaMac 3:39 PM - 20 February, 2013
Yup! +1000000000
Need a better color to show played tracks.. Grey sucks!! :-(

Even new upgrade 1.1.2 did not fix.
Phono Jones 4:09 PM - 20 February, 2013
Quote:
Dear Serato,

Just updated to 1.1.2. HOW EFFING HARD IS IT TO MAKE THE PLAYED TRACKS GREEN?!?!?!

Best,

HOw was it ever a good idea to make the played tracks a slightly off grey than the non played tracks?!??! C'mon Serato. Make the bloody change! So simple but yet everyone feels its a integral change.
Eplo 4:44 PM - 21 February, 2013
yeah customizeable color schemes would be great!
DJ Justin M 5:42 PM - 21 February, 2013
Just got SDJ for my NS6. First off why are tracks GRAY instead of GREEN or user selectable. That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I used to do computer programming and adding a selectable color palette isn't a difficult thing. You can already select a color to organize tracks so why not PLAYED tracks?

Also some NS6 controls manipulate SDJ such as the upfaders in the VIDEO or the FX dial controls will change on screen as you turn the knobs but why don't the Master Gain or channel gains do the same? Everything should be responsive on screen as it is on the hardware not just some things.
[O/][iii][O/] 11:47 PM - 21 February, 2013
Good grief, what on earth possessed Serato to make them think changing to light gray was ever a good idea to begin with. It's decisions like this (and there's been countless numbers of them) that really makes ya' wonder if any of them actually DJ, much less professionally in the field :-/
Markabre 1:45 PM - 22 February, 2013
Quote:
Good grief, what on earth possessed Serato to make them think changing to light gray was ever a good idea to begin with. It's decisions like this (and there's been countless numbers of them) that really makes ya' wonder if any of them actually DJ, much less professionally in the field :-/

This +1
Rory Heath 12:54 AM - 25 February, 2013
+1, should be a given
Rory Heath 12:55 AM - 25 February, 2013
Quote:
Dear Serato,

Best,

AGREED
[O/][iii][O/] 3:38 AM - 25 February, 2013
BCast 4:00 AM - 25 February, 2013
+1 for a noticeably different color
Dj Roth 4:47 AM - 25 February, 2013
+1 this is a must.
1stClassEvent 9:45 PM - 25 February, 2013
Why do the tracks played stay dark grey and not reset upon startup.? I dont really care if I have played a track before, what is more important is to know whether I have played a track already that night.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:55 PM - 25 February, 2013
Go into history tab and press clear, all will then be white.
1stClassEvent 10:06 PM - 25 February, 2013
ok thanks
Funkeybro 5:55 AM - 26 February, 2013
Quote:

I was wondering the same about this the other day, thanks for the tip.

However, I'd argue it should reset to white whenever you close down as a default function, and not be a manual requirement - or, give us the option to rest to white on the closing down screen.

I feel a new 'Feature Suggestion' thread coming on!
djemdub 8:02 AM - 26 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I was wondering the same about this the other day, thanks for the tip.

However, I'd argue it should reset to white whenever you close down as a default function, and not be a manual requirement - or, give us the option to rest to white on the closing down screen.

I feel a new 'Feature Suggestion' thread coming on!

I questioned that a while ago as well.I'm not too sure why, but maybe it stays that color just in case it crashes and you have to restart your computer or software that night?
Funkeybro 12:01 PM - 26 February, 2013
Yeah fair point, but I'd say being given an option to 'clear history' while in the exit screen would be a good compromise if so.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:10 PM - 26 February, 2013
I know MANY djs that would be pissed if it auto cleared played tracks.

Also i think it used tobe that way or at 2.0.0 beta they tried it and the clear button was added in history tab. Cant remember 100%

Not that hard to just go into hostory and press clear.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:11 PM - 26 February, 2013
Shit not MANY a FEW lol before i get grilled!
serkan 4:59 PM - 27 February, 2013
Quote:

I know MANY djs that would be pissed if it auto cleared played tracks.

I know I would :)
It would really suck if I play two gigs in a row at the same place or even play two sets at one gig.
DJ Jiten 8:00 PM - 27 February, 2013
+100
anything except grey
Airbullet 9:59 AM - 28 February, 2013
After update and so many posts and requests.
Where actually someone from Serato?
Hello, some answers?
VinnyBlanc 2:16 AM - 1 March, 2013
Keep with the theme...I'd take blue/orange....anything but grey?
Down 3:30 AM - 1 March, 2013
+1
vinylmanipulator 6:41 AM - 1 March, 2013
+1.....also for the auto-looping area as well...hard to see that dark blue.....
Rory Heath 8:56 AM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:

+1 I understand the need for Aesthetics, but use trumps looks
DEE JAY BASS 6:54 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:

REALLLLLL TALK!!!!!!!!!
That light blue / dark blue has screwed up my loop release on more than one occasion...
Club Ample 8:26 AM - 11 March, 2013
+1... green or user selectable... the gray is difficult to read

and yes change the dark blue on the loop indicators to something more distinctive.. its difficult to see those as well
WarpNote 6:15 AM - 12 March, 2013
+ 1
Id prefer green, or even light blue as an alternative.
Also would like to see missing tracks back to pink or even red.
Remember, red is the natural "danger color" only makes sense to stay with it.
Your low gas waring light on the dash is red right? not orange? LOL

As the saying goes, if it ain't broken, dont fix it... ;)

I bought my SX in november, and Ive used it on 1 single gig since.
Mainly due to this issue and the non scalable artwork...
Will probably hold on to it for another 6 months, but if we don't see further
steps towards a "unified workflow", Im considering going back to using only SSL..
Dj Cooly C 9:50 AM - 12 March, 2013
+1green
Dj @ House 10:26 AM - 12 March, 2013
+1 green or blue
DJ Gabriel Diggs 5:23 PM - 12 March, 2013
+1

I'd also love to see deck specific highlighted color bar for loaded tracks i.e Green/Deck1, Yellow/Deck2, Red/Deck3, Purple/Deck4 Helps me quickly find where I left off scrolling through/switching playlist. As it is if you're reading/scrolling through your library/ playlists there's no indication that says which tracks in the playlist are loaded in what deck. See pic below for an example of my suggestion:

www.gabrieldiggs.com
WarpNote 5:55 PM - 12 March, 2013
You night wanna start a separate thread about that one Gabriel Diggs. Personally, I don´t want 4 more colors in my list, as there are already 3 colors already (non played, played, missing)...
Djsho 9:46 PM - 12 March, 2013
+ 1 for green
Dj Alon 9:13 PM - 13 March, 2013
Yhe +1
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:21 AM - 14 March, 2013
Thanks for the feedback guys, the played color is definitely something we are reviewing. Though if I'm being compleeeeetly honest it's more likely we'd go for an appropriate blue rather than the green we had in Scratch Live ;)
Dj Wunder 6:47 AM - 14 March, 2013
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, the played color is definitely something we are reviewing. Though if I'm being compleeeeetly honest it's more likely we'd go for an appropriate blue rather than the green we had in Scratch Live ;)

Halelujah
Dj @ House 1:47 PM - 14 March, 2013
Thank you, my heart smiles
Simon Love Carter 4:31 PM - 14 March, 2013
Quote:

Blu is ok with me!
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:56 PM - 14 March, 2013
Hi team Serato,

What about a tick box in setup under Library for ''Played Tracks Blue'' Then that way they will be grey by default and if someone wants to have them more high lighted they can just tick that box in setup under library tab.

As some people like the new grey and the cleanness of it being grey. This way both sides of the argument are sorted.

Or we will end up with when it goes blue to a shit storm of people wanting it grey again LOL.

Just food for thought.
Johnny Cinco 6:49 PM - 14 March, 2013
+1
[O/][iii][O/] 11:36 PM - 14 March, 2013
Quote:
the played color is definitely something we are reviewing.

Why on earth was it ever changed to begin with? What possessed Serato to even think light gray was a good idea? Curious, does anyone at Serato actually DJ with their products for a living?

:-/
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:49 AM - 15 March, 2013
From the feedback I've read and observed It seems there are two different use-cases for this feature.

1. The DJs who want the played track to actually stick out more than an unplayed track. This could be for a number of reasons i.e they used the played tracks color to find the 'bangers' quickly.

2. The DJs who want the played track to sit back more than an unplayed track. These are the users who reset their played tracks before every set and want the played tracks to not stick out as much, usually because once they played that song in a set they won't likely play it again.

Clearly with the grey color we aren't catering to user-case number 1. Which is why we are reviewing this decision. But that's just my view I could be wrong :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:56 AM - 15 March, 2013
Logan not like my idea? Be nice if that was passed on to the product manager.
WarpNote 9:52 AM - 15 March, 2013
Logan, I´m not sure you guys got that one entirely right...

I always clear out my history after each gig, so I´d consider myself user-case #2.

Still want to be able to read the my playlists at a glance, without squinting. Would like to spend as little time as possible staring into a screen, keep my focus to the floor. This issue is far more important imo, and one of the major things i loved, when moving from regular vinyl to SSL some 6 years ago.

Now, reading that grey text a 17", high res retina, or even a regular 15", in small fonts, can be a real challenge... The laptop stigma is still alive with some guests, and the grey text ain´t exactly helping ;-)

Main reason I sometime actually wanna read the title of what I played earlier, is the asssociation/planning ahead aspect. It helps keeping a set tighter. All more important when having a large Serato library, imo. (as opposed to a only few physical crates, back then.)

As a DJ, I know my bangers, and always prepare a "basis crate" before a gig, also during the night, filling the prepare window with something like 25-100 tracks, for possible directions to take the mix.

So again, if it ain´t broken don´t fix it.
ie, please, keep played tracks bright, not dimmed.

Thanks, Warp :D
serkan 11:06 AM - 15 March, 2013
+1 on green (blue? why?) and I'm user-case #2

SSL:
Orange track selector, green played tracks & loops, red missing files. Find everything at first glance.

With making everything blue it might look "cool" for the DJ Intro guys but it doesn't make it easier to work with if you're a professional.
[O/][iii][O/] 1:03 PM - 15 March, 2013
WHY THE HELL IS THIS ANY DIFFERENT THAN SSL?!?!?!?!?!

Good grief guys, there are many of us who use BOTH SSL & SDJ every day of the week. For the zillionth time, if Serato insists on keeping these to programs separate then it would be extremely nice/invaluable if Serato would at the very least make the two programs LOOK & FEEL consistently the same so we don't have to readjust to the different environments every time we have to switch from one to the other. Think familiarity. NI obviously understands this basic concept which their Traktor users enjoy so why is this so damn difficult for Serato to get their head around and execute? It's almost like Serato is intentionally finding ways to to infuriate their customers by deliberately making things different with these bizarre UI decisions.
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:28 PM - 15 March, 2013
^^^^
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:58 PM - 15 March, 2013
Hey WarpNote,
Some good points! Thanks for explaining how you use it.

LJ_WOOLSEY,
It's an option and I'll pass it on :)
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:12 PM - 15 March, 2013
my vote is against Blue. Too much BLUE in the Serato DJ GUI. I understand the branding idea but it's been taken too far.

SSL worked great for 8 years, I never questioned the logic behind seeing my played tracks in Green, it just worked...

seems like both Case #1 and Case #2 were satisfied with the way it was.

I personally clear my history at the end of the week, so I don't play the same things from night to night.
vboyd666 10:13 PM - 15 March, 2013
I fall under option 1. I need to see my played tracks stand out. When looking at 7 different remixes of whichever song. I need to see at a glance on which one or two that I typically play.

I will be completely surprised if this isn't patched on the next software release. It is by far the most active thread in these forums.
Mr Wilks 12:29 AM - 16 March, 2013
Just for reference (I'm a Twitch owner so waiting for SDJ) but i'll chime up that i use three days a week both SL and the other three Itch.

Anything that brings these two programs closer together and more uniform is alright by me.

...and I rarely clear my history as that works for me.
joseNG 6:23 PM - 16 March, 2013
Also it is necessary to distinguish between the tracks you have played in this set and the others. An icon or something like that
Mr Wilks 7:39 PM - 16 March, 2013
Quote:
Also it is necessary to distinguish between the tracks you have played in this set and the others. An icon or something like that

+1 Think that's a great idea.

Maybe a green tick in the icon column that DOES disappear once the program closes? Then the played tracks can stay a different colour until they are cleared the usual way.
joseNG 7:48 PM - 16 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

+1 Think that's a great idea.

Maybe a green tick in the icon column that DOES disappear once the program closes? Then the played tracks can stay a different colour until they are cleared the usual way.

Yes, i agree.

Virtual DJ (and even Atomix MP3 Mixer) featured an icon with a red cross for the tracks that had been played. Furthermore, this tracks went to the very end of the library in order to not bother you in the current set.

This is a must for the following update.
Pete Input 12:19 PM - 17 March, 2013
How about option to colour our tracks. I would like to colour my "bangers" with different colour, and i mean the written info, not the colour dots. If i clear my library, i could still see and pick up the "bangers" easily.
ed funk 3:49 AM - 18 March, 2013
+1 SSL green
DJ Boom Bap 5:45 PM - 23 March, 2013
I personally like the grey. BUT, I understand that I'm a minority, so I would like a setup menu option to select grey or alt color.

User #2
djlethald 10:29 PM - 23 March, 2013
+1
Jay Free 5:30 PM - 25 March, 2013
+1000 PLEASE to Green ir even user selectable!
Robert Hode 12:54 PM - 28 March, 2013
MINUS ONE on this

I understand that many people would like to see what they are used to but from a usability point of view, a stronger color for something that needs to fall in the background doesn't make sense and it would annoy me greatly. Perhaps this is one of those things Serato need to address with OPTIONS!!!

On a side note, the apple/ios alignment, with the insistence of providing very very few options (I can think of literally hundreds that I would like to see) is patronizing and unhelpful for a professional application on which users would appreciate as much control and configuration as possible....
Mark Mack 9:51 PM - 30 March, 2013
Why grey? Just change it please
Phuture2 10:17 AM - 23 April, 2013
Would be great to have the color changed. +100,000
dahuhn 9:00 PM - 23 April, 2013
+1 change the color, please :)
Dj Wunder 9:53 PM - 25 April, 2013
+1. Again.
Big Fat Duck 11:50 AM - 26 April, 2013
+1 for more options about the color
DJ Nub 3:12 AM - 30 April, 2013
+1
WhattaMac 8:52 AM - 30 April, 2013
In my opinion:

Serato DJ - Serato Intro - Serato Scratch Live should be "universally" similar. Serato DJ and Scratch Live GUI's are already pretty close. This is coming from a user of both DJ & SSL and previously ITCH. The thing that really was important to me about Serato DJ is that the GUI can be put in a "view" that is VERY similar to SSL. Certain things should be uniform across all Serato software, (some is already - Auto Gain, shareable library from SSL to DJ/Itch/Intro etc.) So why wouldn't some small things (albeit important things) be uniform....

Like - Played tracks = Green Cue Points = Labels Mode = Daytime Mode
Browse Library = make it like SSL (imo it just works this way better)

I am sure there are many other "small" things that should be "uniformed" as well.

Please Serato, we are your customers. We are easily your best advertisers, on our word of mouth alone.. We can also be your worst advertising nightmare as well.

If nothing else please make the "played" tracks a different color than grey.
[O/][iii][O/] 10:35 AM - 30 April, 2013
Quote:
In my opinion:

Serato DJ - Serato Intro - Serato Scratch Live should be "universally" similar.

You're not alone... hardly.

IMO, SSL and SDJ should be the SAME program, much less any difference at all if separate programs.

As a fellow DJ who regularly bounces back and forth between SSL and SDJ I find the inconsistent environments maddening and impede a smooth and comfy workflow.

Again, it's decisions like these that make one wonder if the developers truly understand their customers and how their products are used in the field.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:26 PM - 30 April, 2013
Looks like we may have to re-consider the color considering the feedback. Perhaps an option of one color that sits back (like the grey) and one color that stands out (like a bright blue) so that you can select which suits your workflow.
Simon Love Carter 12:35 AM - 1 May, 2013
I'd like that! It's the right way for sure! please and make grey coloured loop lenght little squares squares when they are de-activated!!!!
Jam-Master Jake 8:15 AM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
In my opinion:

Serato DJ - Serato Intro - Serato Scratch Live should be "universally" similar.

You're not alone... hardly.

IMO, SSL and SDJ should be the SAME program, much less any difference at all if separate programs.

As a fellow DJ who regularly bounces back and forth between SSL and SDJ I find the inconsistent environments maddening and impede a smooth and comfy workflow.

Again, it's decisions like these that make one wonder if the developers truly understand their customers and how their products are used in the field.

Amen, Dude.

I've never used SSL, but since I'm breaking back into the club scene (after being away from it for a solid decade--and back then, I was strictly a vinyl guy), I'm looking at picking up some club gear and getting back into the swing of things with CDJs and 1210s with SSL. I'm actually DREADING going to SSL because of the huge difference in features/interface between Serato DJ and SSL. As much as I dislike Traktor, I am honest-to-goodness thinking about buying a Traktor Scratch setup (probably a Z2 mixer to go along with my Kontrol X1) and making the jump from Serato. Why? Because when you're using Traktor, it's ALWAYS THE SAME. It doesn't matter if you're throwing down on an S4/Z2, a third-party controller, a hacked-together MIDI-mapped conglomeration of controller units, software-only on a laptop, or on a pair of CDJs/1200s, IT'S ALWAYS THE SAME!!!

IMHO, until Serato brings their product line up to the same standards, they will always have upset users regarding this issue and will always be a bit behind the "power-curve." With Serato DJ now in place, there is no need for Scratch Live. Serato DJ should work on ANYTHING, just like Traktor Scratch does. You should have ONE app that recognizes the dedicated Intro/Itch/DJ or Rane hardware plugged into it. The interface never changes, only the hardware does...the user experience is always seamless and identical.

Can you imagine how much faster the development/innovation of Serato DJ would be if they shut down Scratch Live and moved the team to DJ? The software would grow by leaps and bounds and would help Serato to "close the gap" with Native Instruments!

At the very least, if Serato feels there IS a need to keep the 2 programs alive (tying up twice the employee resources in the process), then for the love of man, MAKE THEM THE SAME!!! Same interface, same features, same experience!

I just don't get the current mindset...Serato's platform could be SO much more than it is...and it already IS a considerable (and enjoyable) platform to DJ with!

/Rant off

For the record, I oppose the blue color for played tracks and want the old bright green back. However, ANYTHING is better than the current gray color we have now. I hate change, but will gladly accept it in the name of progress. :) C'mon, Serato...I'm still rooting for you!
PancraZ 12:46 PM - 1 May, 2013
Looks like I posted in the wrong area, I thought there would have been an option to change the colors. Please either change the played tracks color or give us the option to change it.
serkan 1:15 PM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
Looks like we may have to re-consider the color considering the feedback. Perhaps an option of one color that sits back (like the grey) and one color that stands out (like a bright blue) so that you can select which suits your workflow.

Stop talking blue, dude ;)
Seriously what's wrong with green?
Doesn't fit the SDJ color scheme?
If I was in charge the guy who actually designed the new scheme would be standing in the corner to think about what he did :)
serkan 1:19 PM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:

IMHO, until Serato brings their product line up to the same standards, they will always have upset users regarding this issue and will always be a bit behind the "power-curve." With Serato DJ now in place, there is no need for Scratch Live. Serato DJ should work on ANYTHING, just like Traktor Scratch does. You should have ONE app that recognizes the dedicated Intro/Itch/DJ or Rane hardware plugged into it. The interface never changes, only the hardware does...the user experience is always seamless and identical.

Can you imagine how much faster the development/innovation of Serato DJ would be if they shut down Scratch Live and moved the team to DJ? The software would grow by leaps and bounds and would help Serato to "close the gap" with Native Instruments!

At the very least, if Serato feels there IS a need to keep the 2 programs alive (tying up twice the employee resources in the process), then for the love of man, MAKE THEM THE SAME!!! Same interface, same features, same experience!

I just don't get the current mindset...Serato's platform could be SO much more than it is...and it already IS a considerable (and enjoyable) platform to DJ with!

Amen, Dude. :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:22 PM - 1 May, 2013
it does make you think how hard would it be to just add the RANE SL-2/3/4 AND RANE 61-62-68 as these are the current models the RANE SL-1 / MP4 / TTM57SL would not be moved over and the last version of ssl would work fine for them. Would give them more money from people upgrading SL boxes and mixers! all development for just one software.
(even if the rane box if locked and can NOT be used with any controller)
DJSP1KE 2:15 PM - 1 May, 2013
+1
Dj Jamie Carter 6:14 PM - 1 May, 2013
+1
Dj Jamie Carter 6:14 PM - 1 May, 2013
optional colour
djemdub 8:42 PM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
it does make you think how hard would it be to just add the RANE SL-2/3/4 AND RANE 61-62-68 as these are the current models the RANE SL-1 / MP4 / TTM57SL would not be moved over and the last version of ssl would work fine for them. Would give them more money from people upgrading SL boxes and mixers! all development for just one software.
(even if the rane box if locked and can NOT be used with any controller)

maybe rane has an exclusivity contract for SSL. im sure its the legality of the situation that creates the problem of merging. Its kind of like the whole legal thing that came up when serato dropped support of the A&H controller for SDJ. It seems like their way around it was that A&H had a contract for ITCH not SDJ(and it was discontinued). So if RANE has a contract exclusively for SSL, then it would block serato from adding support to any controller/mixer that is not RANE hardware to SSL. And "exclusive" part would force RANE and SERATO to only SSL, making it unable to port to SDJ. So if there is such a contract, SERATO is stuck with two platforms.

I know the way i wrote it makes it hard to understand so i dont blame you if you didnt understand it.sorry lol
Jam-Master Jake 10:10 PM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
maybe rane has an exclusivity contract for SSL. im sure its the legality of the situation that creates the problem of merging. Its kind of like the whole legal thing that came up when serato dropped support of the A&H controller for SDJ. It seems like their way around it was that A&H had a contract for ITCH not SDJ(and it was discontinued). So if RANE has a contract exclusively for SSL, then it would block serato from adding support to any controller/mixer that is not RANE hardware to SSL. And "exclusive" part would force RANE and SERATO to only SSL, making it unable to port to SDJ. So if there is such a contract, SERATO is stuck with two platforms.

I know the way i wrote it makes it hard to understand so i dont blame you if you didnt understand it.sorry lol

No, that makes perfect sense and it's crossed my mind before too. It's the only reason I can think of that they'd want to maintain the 2 separate programs for the time being. However, with the relationship between Rane and Serato being so (hopefully) strong, you'd think that they'd be able to come to an agreement on the merging of SSL/SDJ. (Hell, maybe they already have and are working on something big for later on this year or next year?) If not, it's a simple matter of Serato biding their time until the contract ends and then renegotiating for SDJ instead of SSL. There's plenty of other companies out there that I'm sure would be MORE than willing to partner with Serato if Rane decided to be difficult--which I severely doubt they would be.

Only speculation. Time will tell what the future brings, but I hope it's a fairly quick fix to bring about the solution!
Frederic Choppin 11:45 PM - 1 May, 2013
+1
prizo 5:52 AM - 2 May, 2013
+100000
Justin James 11:31 AM - 2 May, 2013
blue would be ok to fit in with SDJ colour scheme.. just needs to be a more distinguishable colour.. apart from pink,,my Ex liked pink.. word..
DJSP1KE 12:03 PM - 2 May, 2013
any colour is better than grey , but i think i bright colour is best suited , like the yellowy/green in itch
jvertigo 4:04 PM - 2 May, 2013
+1 :]
DJ Nub 10:42 PM - 4 May, 2013
+1 for optional color
WhattaMac 11:40 PM - 4 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

No, that makes perfect sense and it's crossed my mind before too. It's the only reason I can think of that they'd want to maintain the 2 separate programs for the time being. However, with the relationship between Rane and Serato being so (hopefully) strong, you'd think that they'd be able to come to an agreement on the merging of SSL/SDJ. (Hell, maybe they already have and are working on something big for later on this year or next year?) If not, it's a simple matter of Serato biding their time until the contract ends and then renegotiating for SDJ instead of SSL. There's plenty of other companies out there that I'm sure would be MORE than willing to partner with Serato if Rane decided to be difficult--which I severely doubt they would be.

Only speculation. Time will tell what the future brings, but I hope it's a fairly quick fix to bring about the solution!
WhattaMac 12:03 AM - 5 May, 2013
Ooops!! Damn ipad!!! ^^^^^^

Personally I hope it goes the other way keep SSL and make Serato DJ as close a copy as possible. The main problem is as mentioned by you tho, there IS an exclusive with Rane for SSL and mainly centered on two items: 1) Rane was the first (hardware) company to "team up" with Serato. (IMO nobody would have even heard of Serato if it weren't for this deal.) Because Serato makes zero hardware they probably wouldn't exist today if it weren't for a respected hardware manufacture to get their product into popular use. 2) DVS (vinyl control) is ONLY accomplished with Rane hardware. No Serato DJ/Intro/Itch supports (nor probably ever will) support it. Rane was smart, when they made their "deal" with Serato they covered their bases (and kept themselves from being tossed out after putting Serato on the map.)

In an ideal world there would be only one, Serato Scratch Live - period. The only difference would be certain things would be "turned on/off" based on what hardware was connected to it. I mean, instead of Serato investing all the money, labor, design logistics in (4) different programs wouldn't it have a LOT cheaper to create (1) version of SSL that has the "switchable" component aspect? I'm thinking yes.. Aka: prior to Traktor it was "Stanton Final Scratch" Native Instruments figured out "hey we need to make hardware so we can have "uniformity" on our software (and ditch the universally unacceptable in the DJ world -Stanton.
Jam-Master Jake 5:21 AM - 6 May, 2013
Serato DJ is now in place and Serato has spent a great deal of time/money (and continues to do so to this day), so SDJ isn't going anywhere any time soon. If there ARE legal constraints in place that prevent Serato from merging SSL with SDJ, then again, for the love of man, MAKE THE DAMN PROGRAMS IDENTICAL!!! There are so many differences between what should be identical user experiences that it's beyond frustrating.
djemdub 7:02 AM - 6 May, 2013
Has anyone ever considered that maybe they don't want them to be identical?lol
[O/][iii][O/] 2:39 PM - 6 May, 2013
Quote:
Has anyone ever considered that maybe they don't want them to be identical?lol

Yep, who cares what the customers who actually use the products want.
Jam-Master Jake 7:21 PM - 6 May, 2013
Ouch!
albinekblom 11:34 PM - 6 May, 2013
+1 for the colors, need fix!
Justin James 12:01 AM - 7 May, 2013
just had a Virtual DJ user in and he said why is that black n white and dull looking.. kill me now!!
Club Ample 3:50 AM - 8 May, 2013
I cant stress how much this not being green annoys me.
serkan 7:32 AM - 8 May, 2013
Quote:
just had a Virtual DJ user in and he said why is that black n white and dull looking.. kill me now!!

Because it's a f***in' tool - not a toy :)
machstealth 2:48 PM - 7 June, 2013
+1 Highlight played tracks Green like in Itch
Musiat 7:04 PM - 9 June, 2013
so needed +1
DJ Bravo 7:31 PM - 9 June, 2013
Lets go already. ... this can't be so hard. They say that they are trying to figure out if enough people really need this to happen?
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:41 PM - 9 June, 2013
Tobe honist i have got used to it now and do think it looks better not being green. Hmmm
DJ Bravo 7:45 PM - 9 June, 2013
Simple fix...give everyone an option to choose whatever color they want for played tracks. Case closed
DJSP1KE 8:06 PM - 9 June, 2013
Yea I had a play on itch today to do a mix , as serato dj Dosent allow me to record my sampler program

The green is miles better with tracks played , it becomes a simple glance instead of having to focus on what's been played
DJ Bravo 8:10 PM - 9 June, 2013
We need an update
DJ Bravo 8:50 PM - 10 June, 2013
Lets go
joseNG 10:49 AM - 29 June, 2013
Yet another update and still the same. This is such an EASY feature to implement.

I can't see the point of a "Feature Suggestions" forum if Serato guys dont take us into consideration.

Only the Multi-FX has been a decent update, and i'm sure it was thought to be available since Serato DJ 1.0
WarpNote 11:56 AM - 29 June, 2013
Yeah, played outdoors in direct sunlight yesterday.
The light grey thing is pretty useless with the mac inverted screen.
Dj Poole 3:16 PM - 29 June, 2013
Previously played tracks used to turn "green" in SSL & Itch, PUT THIS BACK in Serato DJ!!...
More Or Les 5:34 PM - 2 July, 2013
+1 from me as well. Please use a brighter, easy-to-see color. (WHY did you guys change it in the first place? Especially to such a hard-to-see color as grey...)
billynoah 5:46 PM - 13 July, 2013
Any color Serato picks will be unpopular with a portion of users. Bearing that in mind, the only sensible thing to do here is allow users to customize their own text colors from a color palette.

+1 to changing it from grey to something else.
+1,000,000 to allow us to select our own color.
billynoah 5:47 PM - 13 July, 2013
Quote:
Simple fix...give everyone an option to choose whatever color they want for played tracks. Case closed

this.
Rory Heath 5:50 PM - 13 July, 2013
Have we still not resolved this basic issue? Always heard rumblings that Serato wasn't the same after one of the founders left. Been pretty true lately.
DJSP1KE 7:12 PM - 13 July, 2013
Yea as such as massive ask from so many people you think serato would actually give a damn

But it's the same story as always
DJ Dub Cowboy 1:53 AM - 14 July, 2013
this and the loop length dark blue are almost show stoppers.
Pete Input 8:38 AM - 14 July, 2013
I have been using SDJ since 1.2. and some weird way i kinda like the grey colour now. But if i can choose the colour it would be blue. Also the blue colour in loops looks weird too, but now i like it.
henryb 1:44 AM - 15 July, 2013
WE ALL PRETTY MUCH WANT THE SAME FEATURES (from what I've been reading and discussing), BUT HERE'S THE TOP LIST:

1. PLEASE BRING BACK BRIGHT COLOR (green or blue or orange) for the PLAYED TRACKS!! (this is the way most of us "mark" our favorite tracks in each crate). The grey is AWFUL and makes our life very difficult!!! PLEASE HURRY - already 3 updates in SDJ and it's still not there even though EVERYONE is complaining about this!!

2. Give us the option to SELECTIVELY "mark as played" (or as unplayed) so we can have full control over the way we "mark" (HIGHLIGHT) our played tracks!! [They are usually our favorites] :) This software is designed to help us do our job better/easier, and this option really would! :)

3. Bring back the renaming of our cue points!! Please - it really helps us!!

4. Since you took the very useful braking knob away from the DDJ-SX (that existed in the S1), let us at least midi-map another knob on the SX to the braking stop-speed!! :) :) Another very useful feature!!

5. Except for the "Location" column on our tracks' list (that shows the main crate/folder that the track is located in), a GREAT idea would be to show us (either in an extra column, or maybe in a pop-up bubble after pressing cmd+shift+f or something like that) ALL the OTHER subcates that contain this same track!! As you know we may have a specific track in many subrcrates, and if this feature was possible, while we're playing a given track, we could get "fresh" ideas of what to mix in next if we see other tracks we have also "grouped" the current one with! :) :)

6. NOW THIS ONE IS A LONG-SHOT... BUT A REAL WINNER FOR YOU GUYS (AND US!!) IF YOU DO THIS - SO HERE GOES:

Since beat grids are indeed very useful for looping, mixing, adding synced effects, there is a problem, of course, when the track/s are not "recent" ones (ie. made with software) where the beats & tempo are exactly spot-on! Disco music for example, oldies, and even just live recordings, don't have a "steady" beat since the drums are played by a human hand and can never be spot-on.. They are APPROXIMATELY, say, 128bpm - as close as the drummer can follow the metronome in his ear... That of course renders sync mode useless with old or live tracks, since you can't mix correctly unless you keep on "correcting" the unsynchronization with the jog wheel during the mixing itself (even while both tracks are playing out live together). The same goes for auto-loops etc etc..

So... how about a post editing feature??? If a track is found to be at an AVERAGE (that's what is found), say, 128.19bpm after the "Analyze files" function is used on it, then the 128.19bpm-beatgrid markers will appear throughout its waveform in Serato DJ. Of course they will be INCORRECT (and not at their correct positions obviously) since a reading of 128.19 bpm does NOT mean that the track is steady at exactly 128.19 bpm throughout the track!! It means that 128.19 is the AVERAGE tempo reading!

SO... IF you guys could give us an "EDIT MODE BUTTON" (while Serato DJ is not connected to a controller, of course, since you can do this on the fly...) and we could MANUALLY "pull" the "correct" beats (every 4 beats) to the corresponding beatgrid marker that it would have been at if the tempo was "correct" and steady, and therefore time-stretching each 4-beat loop to a PERFECT time-mark!!! Then at the end of the process throughout the track, you could give us the option to export this edited ("bpm-fixed") track in the tempo we want it to be at (say, at 130 bpm) EXACTLY for our DJing library! :) :) :) :)

You can, of course, already do this editing in most softwares such as Cubase, Nuendo etc, BUT it's VEEEEERRRRYYY time-consuming , and a MAJOR pain in the ... to do so for every track you want to "fix". BUT, you guys (already) have a major advantage! Your software already detects the main beats within each track when analyzing them and places the beatgrid markers correctly at the start of each beat (most of the time, that is - otherwise we fix it ourselves for ONE beat - and your software does it for the rest of the beats!). So, if you could use this auto-detection of beats you already have, and let us "correct" the bpm in our library tracks, quickly & efficiently to the (EXACT) tempo we choose, we would all be able to sync, loop & sample EVERY track genre FLAWLESSLY AND REALLY FAST!!!

Now IF you could POSSIBLY do this, you would not only be PIONEERS & GODS in the DJ-software market, but all remixers around the world would want your program even just to quickly fix the oldie they want to start remixing and/or sampling!! :) :) :)
Rolando 8:44 AM - 15 July, 2013
just downloaded the update. STILL GREY.

WHAT.
THE.
EFF.
WarpNote 8:59 AM - 15 July, 2013
Quote:
this and the loop length dark blue are almost show stoppers.
This, poor design decisions makes the functionality suffer.
Think I might as well sell the ddj-sx, and get cdj's for my mobile setup.
Phono Jones 3:28 PM - 16 July, 2013
Quote:
just downloaded the update. STILL GREY.

WHAT.
THE.
EFF.

Holy mother of hell!!!!!!!!!! Is it really that hard to change the colour? EVERYONE is asking for it.
Airbullet 4:45 PM - 16 July, 2013
Maybe we should try our petition in the facebook?
On official page of SERATO.

www.facebook.com
More Or Les 4:51 PM - 16 July, 2013
Quote:
Maybe we should try our petition in the facebook?
On official page of SERATO.

www.facebook.com

YES! Get at 'em from all angles... Tweet, FB, Forum. All-out assault...!! LOL. Let's do it!
WhattaMac 8:27 AM - 22 July, 2013
Serato, this is your forum, we know you guys read (moderate) these posts..... Choosing to ignore your users, update, after update, really is making a "we don't really give a fu*k" feeling to your customers.

FIX THE DAMN GREY COLORED PLAYED TRACKS!!

You guys put out a Serato Remote App, great, you guys can pick up $20 from 90% of all the people you already sold Serato to..... (Can we say a LOT more lucrative than say fixing a program that people have already bought!! Serato, it seems like someone over there is screwing the pooch....

WE are your customers, WE can support or KILL you in the marketplace, in the user base (all other fellow DJs) , on the forums, as retailers....

BTW: Serato should thank there lucky stars that RANE supplies the customer service in the United Staes for Scratch Live, other wise it would be (and would have been) a disaster.....

If you don't make the effort to improve your product you will get left behind....
WhattaMac 8:36 AM - 22 July, 2013
Oh and get a damn toll free phone number... I don't like spending $50-100 to call you guys either.....
Dj Wunder 12:41 AM - 23 July, 2013
I pasted this on to Serato's facebook. I totally agree with you henryb. You too WhattaMac. On all points, totally agree

Quote:
WE ALL PRETTY MUCH WANT THE SAME FEATURES (from what I've been reading and discussing), BUT HERE'S THE TOP LIST:

1. PLEASE BRING BACK BRIGHT COLOR (green or blue or orange) for the PLAYED TRACKS!! (this is the way most of us "mark" our favorite tracks in each crate). The grey is AWFUL and makes our life very difficult!!! PLEASE HURRY - already 3 updates in SDJ and it's still not there even though EVERYONE is complaining about this!!

2. Give us the option to SELECTIVELY "mark as played" (or as unplayed) so we can have full control over the way we "mark" (HIGHLIGHT) our played tracks!! [They are usually our favorites] :) This software is designed to help us do our job better/easier, and this option really would! :)

3. Bring back the renaming of our cue points!! Please - it really helps us!!

4. Since you took the very useful braking knob away from the DDJ-SX (that existed in the S1), let us at least midi-map another knob on the SX to the braking stop-speed!! :) :) Another very useful feature!!

5. Except for the "Location" column on our tracks' list (that shows the main crate/folder that the track is located in), a GREAT idea would be to show us (either in an extra column, or maybe in a pop-up bubble after pressing cmd+shift+f or something like that) ALL the OTHER subcates that contain this same track!! As you know we may have a specific track in many subrcrates, and if this feature was possible, while we're playing a given track, we could get "fresh" ideas of what to mix in next if we see other tracks we have also "grouped" the current one with! :) :)

6. NOW THIS ONE IS A LONG-SHOT... BUT A REAL WINNER FOR YOU GUYS (AND US!!) IF YOU DO THIS - SO HERE GOES:

Since beat grids are indeed very useful for looping, mixing, adding synced effects, there is a problem, of course, when the track/s are not "recent" ones (ie. made with software) where the beats & tempo are exactly spot-on! Disco music for example, oldies, and even just live recordings, don't have a "steady" beat since the drums are played by a human hand and can never be spot-on.. They are APPROXIMATELY, say, 128bpm - as close as the drummer can follow the metronome in his ear... That of course renders sync mode useless with old or live tracks, since you can't mix correctly unless you keep on "correcting" the unsynchronization with the jog wheel during the mixing itself (even while both tracks are playing out live together). The same goes for auto-loops etc etc..

So... how about a post editing feature??? If a track is found to be at an AVERAGE (that's what is found), say, 128.19bpm after the "Analyze files" function is used on it, then the 128.19bpm-beatgrid markers will appear throughout its waveform in Serato DJ. Of course they will be INCORRECT (and not at their correct positions obviously) since a reading of 128.19 bpm does NOT mean that the track is steady at exactly 128.19 bpm throughout the track!! It means that 128.19 is the AVERAGE tempo reading!

SO... IF you guys could give us an "EDIT MODE BUTTON" (while Serato DJ is not connected to a controller, of course, since you can do this on the fly...) and we could MANUALLY "pull" the "correct" beats (every 4 beats) to the corresponding beatgrid marker that it would have been at if the tempo was "correct" and steady, and therefore time-stretching each 4-beat loop to a PERFECT time-mark!!! Then at the end of the process throughout the track, you could give us the option to export this edited ("bpm-fixed") track in the tempo we want it to be at (say, at 130 bpm) EXACTLY for our DJing library! :) :) :) :)

You can, of course, already do this editing in most softwares such as Cubase, Nuendo etc, BUT it's VEEEEERRRRYYY time-consuming , and a MAJOR pain in the ... to do so for every track you want to "fix". BUT, you guys (already) have a major advantage! Your software already detects the main beats within each track when analyzing them and places the beatgrid markers correctly at the start of each beat (most of the time, that is - otherwise we fix it ourselves for ONE beat - and your software does it for the rest of the beats!). So, if you could use this auto-detection of beats you already have, and let us "correct" the bpm in our library tracks, quickly & efficiently to the (EXACT) tempo we choose, we would all be able to sync, loop & sample EVERY track genre FLAWLESSLY AND REALLY FAST!!!

Now IF you could POSSIBLY do this, you would not only be PIONEERS & GODS in the DJ-software market, but all remixers around the world would want your program even just to quickly fix the oldie they want to start remixing and/or sampling!! :) :) :)
Airbullet 3:15 PM - 23 July, 2013
Thats what i mean.
www.facebook.com
Airbullet 10:21 PM - 23 July, 2013
Guys look at that :)
www.facebook.com
WarpNote 8:25 AM - 24 July, 2013
Honestly,
I think you should have kept it at the main issue, ie the grey color,
and not include all that other stuff...
Justin James 8:29 AM - 24 July, 2013
+1

it's gone off track..

"Can't easily see the "played" tracks (grey color not good)"

any other issue should be set up individually..
WarpNote 8:30 AM - 24 July, 2013
Quote:
any other issue should be set up individually..

this...
Airbullet 9:17 AM - 24 July, 2013
No problems! Take 5 min. Go to serato page in facebook... And try out
Justin James 9:21 AM - 24 July, 2013
soz I'm not on Facebook.. I deleted that thing..
Kalus 11:17 AM - 24 July, 2013
+1 need other color too
Jam-Master Jake 8:28 PM - 26 July, 2013
Quote:
Serato, this is your forum, we know you guys read (moderate) these posts..... Choosing to ignore your users, update, after update, really is making a "we don't really give a fu*k" feeling to your customers.

FIX THE DAMN GREY COLORED PLAYED TRACKS!!

You guys put out a Serato Remote App, great, you guys can pick up $20 from 90% of all the people you already sold Serato to..... (Can we say a LOT more lucrative than say fixing a program that people have already bought!! Serato, it seems like someone over there is screwing the pooch....

WE are your customers, WE can support or KILL you in the marketplace, in the user base (all other fellow DJs) , on the forums, as retailers....

BTW: Serato should thank there lucky stars that RANE supplies the customer service in the United Staes for Scratch Live, other wise it would be (and would have been) a disaster.....

If you don't make the effort to improve your product you will get left behind.

Oh and get a damn toll free phone number... I don't like spending $50-100 to call you guys either.....

This!!! I'm generally a patient person when it comes to a company that I like and support. I realize that things take time and that Serato is a small company. But enough is enough. I'm not giving Serato another DIME until they start pumping out some impressive updates for Serato DJ/Scratch Live that includes the missing Itch features we've been asking for as well as Novation Twitch support. When they do that for me, THEN I'll spring for a copy of Serato Remote.

I'm sick of this "It's Coming!" crap. It's been "coming" since the product launched last NOVEMBER. It doesn't take THAT long to reinstate a few minor features that users are asking about...especially if you implement one in each release. Keep ignoring your user base as you have been and in another 5 years we'll all be laughing and talking about "remember when we used to use Serato?"

I know I don't matter in the big scheme of things, but I'm making my voice heard.
stevie o 10:48 PM - 6 August, 2013
Grey sucks
Rolando 6:30 AM - 7 August, 2013
Lol, this thread started December 13, 2012.

WAKE
THE
EFF
UP
SERATO!!!
[O/][iii][O/] 8:12 PM - 7 August, 2013
Becoming more and more convinced the staff at Serato is one guy's part-time job.
DJSP1KE 8:51 PM - 7 August, 2013
I've messaged them on twitter today , no reply as of yet ,
H2H 4:29 PM - 12 August, 2013
On Serato DJ General Discussion : DJ for novation twitch release date?

---------------------------------
Logan D from Serato says :
I'll be honest here and say that the played track color is not in this next release, but that we're aiming* to get this into the release straight after. (*keyword : aiming)
----------------------------------

Well, we can still cry once !
Jam-Master Jake 4:51 PM - 12 August, 2013
No worries, because they're bringing DAY MODE back in this next release, right? :)
DJSP1KE 5:09 PM - 12 August, 2013
I messaged them on twitter to and they haven't replied , waste of time
JVitti10 8:59 PM - 12 August, 2013
Hello All
Just wanted to let everyone know that tracks played In DJ Intro tracks turn Blue after played.
Jam-Master Jake 9:52 PM - 12 August, 2013
Wow, way to rub it in! :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:00 PM - 12 August, 2013
Sorry guys I know it's frustrating but we are listening and this change is coming! Like I said it's not in this next release but we're aiming for the one after that - which isn't as far away as it might sound.
Phono Jones 3:02 PM - 20 August, 2013
WOW SERATO!! SPEECHLESS. U.O.E.N.O.
WhattaMac 6:37 PM - 22 August, 2013
@Logan D,

Which release exactly is this track color issue going to be corrected/changed?

Just saying...

Hopefully not 6 months from last weeks update...... Btw: Serato added more effects (and the option to pay more $$ to add even more and this is fine (although seems silly to charge for it....) and still no fix-ee the grey track B.S.

Maybe you guys should offer a "Serato DJ Custom" so that you can A) Charge more money for the option. B) Make it so we (the user) can alter the application to our needs?
nostromo13 3:06 AM - 23 August, 2013
+1 can you make the colours user-customisable?
DJVaage 5:28 PM - 23 August, 2013
+1
I also vote for user-customisable
adigrecu 7:31 PM - 23 August, 2013
+1
steven wynen 4:43 AM - 26 August, 2013
I think with a custumizesetting, the colour will satisfied everyone!

I found green a bit bright
but the grey is indeed a bit flat

greeetz
Dj Markus 2:27 AM - 28 August, 2013
Quote:
Sorry guys I know it's frustrating but we are listening and this change is coming! Like I said it's not in this next release but we're aiming for the one after that - which isn't as far away as it might sound.

+1

This needs to happen stat!

+1 for day and night mode
+1 for renaming cue points
djemdub 7:06 AM - 29 August, 2013
Quote:
@Logan D,

Which release exactly is this track color issue going to be corrected/changed?

Just saying...

Hopefully not 6 months from last weeks update...... Btw: Serato added more effects (and the option to pay more $$ to add even more and this is fine (although seems silly to charge for it....) and still no fix-ee the grey track B.S.

Maybe you guys should offer a "Serato DJ Custom" so that you can A) Charge more money for the option. B) Make it so we (the user) can alter the application to our needs?

Really? Why are you guys are always bashing Serato over the smallest things? Why would Serato bring in another software? As you can see, Serato is trying to bring unity into its platforms. Yeah the grey is irritating, but It's not a showstopper. One can dj just fine without the color being changed. I am a software engineer so I understand the amount of hard work and time that goes into bringing out these releases. It may be am easy or small change, but it just wasnt at the top of seratos priority list so it was bumped to the next release. If you all were a bit more patient, Serato would be less pressured and will do a bit more testing before releasing an update that isn't as stable as it could be. With that being said, I am not saying its ok to have us waiting for an update for 6 months and not get any new features. If you were one of the guys that switch over from itch, you'd know what im talking about. But, 2 months after that long awaited update came SDJ and you have to admit, the updates have been coming a lot faster in SDJ than itch. Be patient.
And about that Serato DJ Custom thing, its only gonna be possible if you know how to code and serato will NEVER let their source code be available to its customers. Unless you meant a Serato DJ where you can customize the layout and a few other aspects, in which case, would be nice, but extremely buggy and possibly cluttered.
Not_Sean 6:45 PM - 2 September, 2013
Here is a great idea.. you let us choose the colors.. and here is the real kicker.. (all Default) Grey when its not analysed. Green when it is. and the option to have it Change Red (or what ever color) once its been played (which resets after you shut down DJ)

Or is this just crazy talk ?!
Pete Input 9:14 AM - 3 September, 2013
^^^ Crazy talk...
- All your tracks in your library should be analyzed in the first place.
- Green is not the "right" colour to the SDJ. New colour scheme is Blue / Orange. IF you can choose whatever colour, then you can pick up green if you like to do so.
- Red means your tracks are missing.
- Reset after shut down is not the right way to do it, unless it's an option for user.
Justin James 10:01 AM - 3 September, 2013
this thread still going.. y'all crazy ;-)

I want day mode white on white..

then night mode black on black..

>\<

Funkeybro 12:55 AM - 5 September, 2013
As seen the in the release notes for Serato DJ 1.5...

"Serato DJ 1.5.0 also adds a new bright blue “played track” color option in the setup screen, to see your regularly played tracks more visibly. Users will still have the option to choose grey as their played track color if that is your preferred option."
DJSP1KE 9:51 AM - 5 September, 2013
Sounds good to me , due in October time
stevie o 8:22 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
As seen the in the release notes for Serato DJ 1.5...

"Serato DJ 1.5.0 also adds a new bright blue “played track” color option in the setup screen, to see your regularly played tracks more visibly. Users will still have the option to choose grey as their played track color if that is your preferred option."

Love it. They gey color sucked
Jam-Master Jake 2:26 AM - 6 September, 2013
Awesome! Thanks, Serato!
nostromo13 10:42 PM - 6 September, 2013
small change, but thanks a lot!
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:11 PM - 1 October, 2013
Hey guys, you can grab 1.5 now with the blue color option.
Justin James 12:26 PM - 1 October, 2013
great stuff.. thx Serato..
DJSP1KE 1:10 PM - 1 October, 2013
Brilliant :)
Kalus 2:16 PM - 1 October, 2013
perfect! nice! thanks!
Phono Jones 10:10 PM - 1 October, 2013
Amazing!! Thanks!!
Jam-Master Jake 10:21 PM - 14 October, 2013
I'm totally digging it. Thanks!
tobias.jungnickel 8:46 AM - 15 October, 2013
great color chosen :)
Frederic Choppin 10:53 AM - 23 October, 2013
thanx I really appreciate it
tonytooth 4:01 AM - 26 October, 2013
Thank you. Looks great. I love the blue. 10 months later, victory!
DJ Dollar 3:58 AM - 28 October, 2013
I would like to have "Green" as an option too like SSL
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:17 PM - 28 October, 2013
You're welcome guys! Thanks for letting us know that you weren't satisfied with the current grey :)
The Despicable Nyan Cat 8:53 PM - 25 January, 2014
Quote:
Hey guys, you can grab 1.5 now with the blue color option.

LOL I was about to ask you guys wether Blue was an option, because I saw it in my Serato (1.5)!
Dj Poole 7:28 PM - 12 February, 2014
Love the blue... Thx
pueblofunky 6:29 AM - 13 February, 2014
Why it is not possible to let us choose the color as it is in other programs?

A window opens with the possibility to choose from the complete color bandwith - also by entering the RGB values.

This could be done for various color settings:

- font color
- background color
- background color 2 (library view) ... (btw: this grey is horrible)

It would be also great to bring us back the normal font instead of the bold font - or as always:

WHY HAVE YOU CHANGED THIS IN SDJ?
WHY DIDN'T YOU MADE AN OPTION?
nik39 7:21 AM - 21 February, 2014
It would be also great to bring us back the normal font instead of the bold font - or as always:

I agree... The bold font lokd so compressed. The other font was so mach easier to use.
DJ-2ni 2:07 PM - 24 February, 2014
Can't see the played tracks... blue is not enough different from the white,
dark blue or green should be better for us,
dont stay on your position Mr Serato, and listen us, we are the buyer of your products...
DJ-2ni 12:12 PM - 3 March, 2014
every body is happy with the blue ?
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:22 PM - 3 March, 2014
Yes
DJ Trice 2:52 PM - 3 March, 2014
Yes ok for me too.
Jam-Master Jake 7:24 AM - 4 March, 2014
I like the blue better than the green, actually. Easier on the eyes, and just as easily distinguishable from the Itch green.
DJ-2ni 9:43 AM - 5 March, 2014
the blue is too bright, not dark enough....
when I speedly defile turns titles, I don't see the difference with the white..
Dark blue should be better for me.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:52 AM - 5 March, 2014
Lol at the ur looks the same as the white! WHAT? Sorry but your blind.
Jam-Master Jake 5:56 AM - 6 March, 2014
We've beat this horse long enough. We requested the green return, Serato gave us the Blue color because it fit the Serato color scheme. Many users wanted the ability to change the color of the played tracks to whatever they wanted it to be, but Serato didn't give us that option for some reason. What we have is now better than the original dark gray, so I'm happy. I doubt you'll see anything else added to this.
DJ-2ni 6:48 AM - 6 March, 2014
So serato don't listen the desire of the user...
diego vega 12:26 AM - 28 March, 2014
Please let us select the color we want or at least add more options. I really miss the green from Scratch Live.
DJ-2ni 10:49 AM - 28 March, 2014
+1
DJ-2ni 9:25 PM - 20 April, 2014
No issue from serato ?
DJ Michael Paul 7:26 PM - 15 April, 2015
Quote:
You're welcome guys! Thanks for letting us know that you weren't satisfied with the current grey :)

Considering this thread has been is discussion for many months, Im some what supposed this has not been an option added for color. As a solid ScratchLive user now using Serato DJ it would be nice to have the ability and select a played color choice. Even the option from Grey, Blue and adding in the GREEN from Scratch would be a great option for us former Scratch users.
WarpNote 6:31 PM - 16 April, 2015
Trust me, you'll get used to it within a week Michael, once you occasionally play in SSL after switching to SDJ, it will be the other way around. Give it some time, it will grow on you.. :)
DJ-2ni 8:40 AM - 9 July, 2015
yess for the green in the option.
+1
Marv Incredible 5:30 PM - 10 July, 2015
Quote:
Considering this thread has been is discussion for many months

It was dead for an entire year before you revived it. Just sayin'
Jay-T 6:22 PM - 12 August, 2015
+1
Djkom 1:43 PM - 4 April, 2019
Deep diging here but the more I make longer gigs the more I need a better way to see already played tracks.

Currently it's near impossible to see if the track is already played when the track is selected.
Blue selection on blue/gray/white font doesn't help at all !!!

So please add green font on already played tracks, it's not a big deal to implement and it offers a great added value.

THANKS !!
Djkom 1:43 PM - 4 April, 2019
Deep digging here but the more I make longer gigs the more I need a better way to see already played tracks.

Currently it's near impossible to see if the track is already played when the track is selected.
Blue selection on blue/gray/white font doesn't help at all !!!

So please add green font on already played tracks, it's not a big deal to implement and it offers a great added value.

THANKS !!
Djkom 6:56 AM - 5 April, 2019
So +1 !!
adigrecu 10:18 AM - 17 September, 2020
Green !!!
Angelo2019 11:07 AM - 29 October, 2020
It could be nice to add the custom option color to decide the color of the selected tracks and played tracks