Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Platters scracting problem

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ Bishop (core dj) 5:12 AM - 13 December, 2012
I was wondering what should i do. i have tried every thing with these platters. I bought the sx nov 6, since it back due to platter problem #youtu.be. Sent unit back received another one 12/10 and platter problem still there. #2 youtu.be. Dont know what to do? Reinstalled serato dj, tired to go int settings mode with (shift and play) nothing, tried turning sensor knob completely to right then left nothing. Now user are saying sensor is set between 9 and 11 oclock? My unit wont pick up scratch till i set it past 12? why is that. I also download firmware 1.2 dec 4 release. Not sure what i should do? send it back?
ernie 11:30 PM - 13 December, 2012
Quote:
I was wondering what should i do. i have tried every thing with these platters. I bought the sx nov 6, since it back due to platter problem #youtu.be. Sent unit back received another one 12/10 and platter problem still there. #2 youtu.be. Dont know what to do? Reinstalled serato dj, tired to go int settings mode with (shift and play) nothing, tried turning sensor knob completely to right then left nothing. Now user are saying sensor is set between 9 and 11 oclock? My unit wont pick up scratch till i set it past 12? why is that. I also download firmware 1.2 dec 4 release. Not sure what i should do? send it back?

Try upgrading your mac to 10.7.5
Serato, Support
Jamie W 12:58 AM - 14 December, 2012
Hey DJ Bishop (core dj),

I just watched both your videos, I understand you have tried out alot of different settings to get it working correctly but can you please try these steps.

1. If you only use your external drive for music, can you copy 10 tracks to your desktop, then disconnect your external drive.
2. Load up SERATO DJ, add a new crate and drop in the 10 tracks you copied.
3. Navigate to the SETUP window inside SERATO DJ.
4. Click on the AUDIO tab and set the buffer size to 10ms.
5. Set your PLATTER TOUCH SENSOR LEVEL to 11 o'clock.

Also, how much space do you have on your internal drive? How many tunes do you have on your external drive? how many files in your SERATO DJ Library?

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks.
DJ Bishop (core dj) 3:06 AM - 14 December, 2012
i Will have to wait, i called pioneer and told them about this problem and pioneer tech support recommend i send it back. So its back at guitar center for second time.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 3:12 AM - 14 December, 2012
Hey DJ Bishop,

Ok, I will wait for you to get back to me with the results.

Thanks.
DJ Bishop (core dj) 4:58 AM - 14 December, 2012
kool when they call me. i will take my mac to store with me.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 7:28 PM - 16 December, 2012
Hey DJ Bishop,

Thats a good idea. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks.
Baje Man 3D 8:05 PM - 16 December, 2012
Played my first gig for the first time with the pioneer ddj sx and experienced the same issue. I am running a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 with version 10.8.2 Os X. All my music is on my internal drive. When I got home the unit worked fine. I have no confidence in the unit and think about returning it.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 9:54 PM - 16 December, 2012
Hey Baje Man 3D,

This is very strange, since your DDJ-SX works fine at home I dont think its a Software / Hardware issue?

Have you used any other controllers and experienced this sort of problem in the past?

Can you check the following at the club,

1. Power Supply - are you plugging into a multibox with a lot of other power devices connected?
2. Are you setting up the DDJ-SX on top of Sub Boxes or other equipment?
3. Are you able to setup the DDJ-SX with everything else disconnected at the club? or are you able to setup on a separate desk outside the DJ booth to see if this resolves the issue?

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks.
Baje Man 3D 10:34 PM - 16 December, 2012
I am a mobile dj it's not the same setup. I have experienced it with a nx6 but that was a total different computer a 2.4 dual core. I have pioneer cdj 800 mk2 players and a pioneer mixer and they work fine with the sl4 box.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 10:41 PM - 16 December, 2012
Hey Baje Man 3D,

I would advise having a long mix at home and see if you encounter the same issues.
If its working fine at home then it most probably was an issue with that club setup.

Try following the steps I have given to DJ Bishop and see if that helps.

Thanks.
DJ Bishop (core dj) 2:49 AM - 18 December, 2012
Ok got my 3rd unit from guitar center and this time i took my laptop and tried it at store. worked like a charm right out box. no adjust need finally.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 3:01 AM - 18 December, 2012
Hey DJ Bishop,

Great news! Glad you are up and running correctly.
Its super bad luck to have 2 units faulty in a row!

If you have any other questions please feel free to get in contact with us.

I will close this thread now.

Thanks.
DJ Bishop (core dj) 3:36 AM - 19 December, 2012
ok jamie w check this out in the store the pioneer ddj sx on the glass counter top it work perfect out the box. Once i got home same issue. this is what i found out. After messing with it. Please help.
Watchwww.youtube.com
irieproductions 12:52 PM - 19 December, 2012
the platters work with static, they are not touch sensitive so that's why they are acting up like that. something in your environment has a lot of static causing EMI.

Why don't you try it on another room?, or get an antistatic mat
FabulousFrequencies 5:29 PM - 19 December, 2012
^^^ THIS..

In your videos I see the flooring..
FabulousFrequencies 5:38 PM - 19 December, 2012
Let me elaborate a little, on the video.

When you 'hover' the deck and it activates it's picking up the static charge on your hand. You're probably high on positive charge from the flooring, and when you touch the deck you ground out and give it a stable negative charge. I would also be curious to know when the last time your outlets were checked for proper grounding. The unit ties to earth ground via the electrical house wiring. That flooring is notorious for generating charge. Try it 'bare foot' on that floor once, not even socks ;) When you say it works at GC and not at home, that's a clue you can't ignore ya know? If you really want to help people, I would lean away from advising they just return units left and right until you actually sort this out. I seen some of the comments and a lot of people could be taking trips for nothing based off that. Gas is expensive and lugging things around is a hassle right? Speaking of which, the 380 should fit nicely in a backpack (I caught those comments)

- Matt
Rhodesy 5:58 PM - 19 December, 2012
DONT get a 380 (have there own issues)

ive been following your videos since your first unit!! +1 for matts comment!! very strange as my unit is plugged into a Surge protector and on a wood surface and works just fine!! I think matt is onto something with the flooring!! if u have a pioneer mixer try running a cable from the turntable ground point on the mixer to the ground point on the sx see if that helps??
Serato, Support
Jamie W 8:01 PM - 19 December, 2012
Quote:
ok jamie w check this out in the store the pioneer ddj sx on the glass counter top it work perfect out the box. Once i got home same issue. this is what i found out. After messing with it. Please help.
Watchwww.youtube.com

Hey DJ Bishop,

Thanks for sending through the video. Since your DDJ-SX works fine at the store it definitely looks like a grounding / power issue in the environment you are trying to mix in.

Do you have a lot of appliances plugged into the same power outlet socket?
I would advise checking these sockets to make sure they are grounded correctly. If you have multi power adapters I would advise checking these or replacing them if they are old.

Try using your MAC, Speakers, DDJ-SX in another room.
Also, try removing everything else plugged in that you dont need on, then have a mix and see if the issue still happens.

Thanks.
DJ Bishop (core dj) 2:30 AM - 20 December, 2012
OK you guys. took unit to another room and guess what? It works perfect. thank u Jamie W and the rest of the serato user that posted comments. Gosh i wish i would have thought of this earlier. i will call GC and tell them this the problem in case some one else experience this. crazy i would have never thought the floor or outlets would have been my problem unbelievable. Now to figure out what case to buy. pioneer case or fusion dj controller case?
Serato, Support
Jamie W 2:52 AM - 20 December, 2012
Hey DJ Bishop,

Thats Great! I am glad you got it working correctly!
Thanks a lot for all the video uploads and your detailed descriptions, this really helped towards figuring your issue out.

If you ever have any other questions please feel free to get in contact with us.

Enjoy your DDJ-SX !

I will close this thread now.
Thanks.