Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Problem with XLR microphone input sound quality

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
daviddj7 9:46 PM - 10 December, 2012
The sound quality of the XLR microphone input is very good when music is not playing, but when I have a track playing at a moderate to loud volume, the sound quality is very bad. I have experimented with adjusting the trim and EQ settings but the issue persists. My previous controller was a DDJ S1 running with Itch and this was not an issue.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:33 PM - 10 December, 2012
Read here ---> serato.com
daviddj7 5:14 PM - 11 December, 2012
I am glad I am not the only one experiencing this. I think it is a software issue. The work around is to plug the controller into an 8 channel Mackie mixer and the mike into a channel of the mixer. But seriously Serato and Pioneer, this is not cool. Having an analog through channel on the unit would have been way better.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:27 PM - 11 December, 2012
Its not software issue its hardware you just need to buy whats said in tht thread i posted its just an adaptor you plug in. Forgot what they are called. Anyway read that thread and you will get sorted.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 12:13 AM - 12 December, 2012
Hey Daviddj7,

Depending on the usage of microphones, distortion may occur. Such distortion is caused when the mic input level is so high that it exceeds the tolerance level of MIC Amp circuit in the DDJ-SX.

If this happens, no matter how you adjust the TRIM knob on DDJ-SX, distortion will not disappear.

If the gain level can be adjusted on a wireless microphone, it is recommended to lower the gain level until distortion is not observed.

When distortion occurs even though you are using wired microphone, it is
recommended to set the TRIM knob higher to avoid excessive input.

When excessive input is prevented, optimal sound quality without
distortion can be output.

If you dont want to purchase another microphone that will match the DDJ-SX impedance levels, you can buy an adapter that you can plug into the mic line, which will allow you to lower the impedance level your mic is sending into the DDJ-SX this will stop the distortion.

Link here for an adapter - www.musiciansfriend.com

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks.
daviddj7 1:57 AM - 13 December, 2012
@Serato---I am using both a wired Shure SM 58 and Shure SLX2 wireless system. Surely (no pun intended) the DDJ SX should be able to handle the impedance levels of these very widely used mikes without having to add an additional attenuator. The surprise comes when the mike sounds great when no musical program is being run through channels 1 and 2 and then sounds REALLY bad when used with program being played.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 2:24 AM - 13 December, 2012
Hey Daviddj7,

Unfortunately even though the SM58 is a popular mic its impedance level is still to low for the DDJ-SX, this is going to make the signal that comes into the SX really loud which will overdrive the preamp inside the DDJ-SX causing distortion.

Cheapest solution is connecting an adapter, or buy a cheap 600 ohm or greater microphone that works with the SX.

Regarding your SLX2 can you try adjusting the receivers GAIN input? make this -0db.
Also unscrew the microphone head cap and under that you will see a GAIN switch, flick this to -0db. Plug your microphone in and see if the distortion has been resolved.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks.
daviddj7 3:53 AM - 13 December, 2012
@Serato---Thank you very much for your detailed and well thought out responses. Can you clarify for me---when channel 3 and channel 4 are switched to the mike input settings, are these signals going through the software or are these analog pathways?
Serato, Support
Jamie W 3:59 AM - 13 December, 2012
Hey Daviddj7,

Its an analog signal. It doesn't go through the software.

Thanks.
4:00 AM, 27 Dec 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.