Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Support for iTunes ratings (stars)

Julien A 4:44 PM - 5 December, 2012
Feature suggestion : a column showing the iTunes rating (stars) of songs that where imported from the iTunes Music Library.
Software version : 1.1.0
Controller : Numark MixTrack Pro
Why :

I just bought Serato DJ with a digital controller after a 2 years break in DJing.
Previously I was using SL3 with turntables and thought ratings where supported by the software but maybe they were not, it's been a while.

Still, in Serato DJ (activated version, fresh of this morning), there is no ratings !
It really is useful, say you have 6 remixes of a song, two are rated 5 stars a good for your mix, others aren't. Seeing the ratings let you instantly know which one is right, even if you haven't memorised all the remixes names yet.

Seriously hopping for Serato to implement this function (that is present in Traktor).
A friend who bought a Pioneer DDJ-SX share the same feeling about this missing feature.
Funkeybro 12:27 AM - 6 December, 2012
+1 to this.
Nogasi 2:10 AM - 6 December, 2012
+1
Julien A 3:10 PM - 6 December, 2012
Sorry for the typos in the original message.
Also, while we're at it, please support it fully by showing half-stars to.
Jam-Master Jake 11:20 PM - 6 December, 2012
Comments are supported. Simply write which mix you want to use in your comments section, or in the song title. I actually will put a comment right in my song title to get my attention. For example:

DJ Awesome - "Best Song Ever"
DJ Awesome - "Best Song Ever" (Skrillex Sucky Mix)
DJ Awesome - "Best Song Ever" (Sharam's SUPER Awesome Mix) - PLAY THIS ONE!!!!!

I then put key/bpm in comments, along with any details that I need to remember. Not saying that this would work for everyone, but it's my work-around.
Boombox 1:44 PM - 12 December, 2012
support for iTunes star system would be very useful. +1
Markabre 3:52 PM - 12 December, 2012
YES +1
Julien A 12:29 AM - 14 December, 2012
@JMK
That's a $200/150€ software, we're to expect something properly integrated with music management softwares and not having to use cumbersome work-arounds.
Jam-Master Jake 12:47 AM - 14 December, 2012
With the way Apple is screwing around with iTunes, it wouldn't surprise me if it fades as the music management software of choice. Having iTunes star support would be awesome, but I doubt it's at the top of Serato's list. The same way a lot of our requests probably aren't. :(
Olivier RAILEY 2:05 AM - 11 March, 2013
+1 To EVERYONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I decided to quit SERATO rival since New year's 2013 PARTY ... I'm HAPPY about EVERYTHING in SERATO DJ : the SOFTWARE is just PERFECT at all points !!!

except I have NO Itunes ratings STARS to help me with my huuuuuuuge Itunes playlist !!!!!
SO PLEASE : JUST DO IT FOR US !!!
Kgee 10:33 AM - 18 May, 2013
+1 for ratings stars!
dj_soo 9:19 PM - 21 May, 2013
there's an easy workaround for this if you're looking to utilize your star ratings while waiting/hoping for serato to implement this feature.

Basically, translate your star ratings into serato's color codes. I use Red for 5 stars, green for 4, and blue for 3 (I use the other star ratings more for sorting).

Create a smart playlist for each of the star ratings. Once you've done that, go into serato and you can select each playlist and mass-tag all the files.

Now you can see by color code and even sort by color code if needed when you play.
Dj MacMillz 1:55 AM - 22 May, 2013
Quote:
there's an easy workaround for this if you're looking to utilize your star ratings while waiting/hoping for serato to implement this feature.

Basically, translate your star ratings into serato's color codes. I use Red for 5 stars, green for 4, and blue for 3 (I use the other star ratings more for sorting).

Create a smart playlist for each of the star ratings. Once you've done that, go into serato and you can select each playlist and mass-tag all the files.

Now you can see by color code and even sort by color code if needed when you play.

Even better, you can utilize the drop down comments section and just use youre star ratings that way.

Some folks (me) don't have SSL/SDJ/ITCH read iTunes Library..... it's actually advised not to do because of the frequent and unexpected changes always being made to iTunes.
Jaywalker 12:05 AM - 17 July, 2013
count me in for this +1
DJ CFLY 9:56 PM - 23 July, 2013
Hi all,

I found an easy straightforward solution.

1) create a smart list in Itunes and select all your 5 star tracks.
2) create a smart list in Itunes and select all your 4 star tracks.

3) go to serato DJ in your itunes library (controler not connected).
4) go to your playlist 5 stars and select all tracks (CMD+A) click in the second column and chose a colour (I chose red). Serato DJ will ask you if you want to write ID tags to all songs. Just say YES.

this take some time but you will see that all your 5 star songs will be tagged the color you chose and appear the same in all your other playlists.

Do the same for 4 stars and others.

Hope this helps ;)

Keep the beat up!
Christophe
DJ CFLY
DJ Bea 8:49 AM - 26 July, 2013
Agree. Although I realise the only downside of star rating is that it requires a large column which takes a lot of screen width space, so Serato's one key width colour column concept is good in that respect: Serato could use that format and allow us to chose between '5*' '4*'...etc to '1*'.
- Also, as it is it takes a long time to click and select the colour compared to clicking on a star scale in a fraction of a second.
- My big issue with Serato's colour rating is that many colours are hardly distinguishable, too similar or not enough bright/striking to the eye unlike the basic RGB or CMYK professional printers colour codes (Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Black) which I'd recommend who have huge contrasts so there's no risk of choosing the wrong similar colour (consequences can be not to relocate songs when sorting by colour, etc). And also the colour on the pallette to choose from is very different from what is then printed on the screen.
Julien A 8:37 PM - 27 October, 2015
3 years, and still no stars... Congrats serato!
DJ Bea 8:52 AM - 29 October, 2015
Quote:

I agree. This is just one of the many basic things, although this one not essential (colour rating fine), so I dont understand why DJ Mag rates Serato as best DJ software '14, dont think deserve. I am simply stuck to it because Traktor doesnt deal with AAC songs and I cant return to it now they resolved . Conclusion : there is a big need for a brand new reliable software for serious pro DJs who cant afford poor functionalities which slow them down or limits their efficiency whilst preparing sets and live.
DJ Bea 8:57 AM - 29 October, 2015
Quote:

And you may notice too , like me, that (like 3 months ago at least !) the 'SERATO DJ FEATURE SUGGESTIONS' tab in the forum is NOT EVEN WORKING!
So I cant tell them to add basic features like cross fading during Auto Mix (essential for wedding DJs with 9 hours set! all other softwares even iTunes has it!)
bohlrocka 1:40 PM - 30 October, 2015
+1
DJ Zewolfy 11:37 PM - 10 November, 2015
+1
maurodileo 1:11 PM - 17 November, 2015
+1

At the moment i use a script that writes the stars to an unused tag field (Grouping) like this:
Kevr0123 7:43 PM - 19 November, 2015
+1
Gabin Nogueira 4:20 PM - 25 November, 2015
PLEASE ITUNES RATING STARS FOR SERATO DJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nogasi 6:00 PM - 4 January, 2016
+1000 Rating Stars for Serato DJ
postigojames 3:57 PM - 10 March, 2016
+1
Padzilla 11:01 AM - 11 March, 2016
+1
alec.tron 3:32 AM - 9 June, 2016
Is this still being ignored by Serato and one has to come up with workarounds for both SSL and SDJ to get value from the ratings field show up ?
Cheers.
c.
alec.tron 4:12 AM - 8 September, 2016
Here's another attempt at a thread/petition to get star ratings to Serato (with a universally usefull approach imo that also solves a few other problems, i.e. multi value metadata, aka more than 1 genre for a track...):
serato.com

Churs.
c.