Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

GPU hardware acceleration support

Dj ListenDat 5:15 PM - 4 December, 2012
When is SV going to support the GPU hardware acceleration support DXVA ?

Look :

VirtualDJ 3.1 (07 August 2005)

New video features:

VirtualDJ can use DXVA (DirectX® Video Acceleration) and Nvidia® PureVideo® for hardware dvd-decoding

As you can see DXVA support since 2005 for VDJ and still nothing in the near 2013 for Serato ! This would permit better performance and less CPU usage so better overall performances !
DJDaveOtt 5:20 PM - 4 December, 2012
Why fix something that isn't broken?
Dj ListenDat 5:22 PM - 4 December, 2012
Quote:
Why fix something that isn't broken?

I don't understand what you mean
DJDaveOtt 6:34 PM - 4 December, 2012
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'll bet you use a windows computer...
Dj ListenDat 6:38 PM - 4 December, 2012
Yes i do. Please don't start a thread saying to buy a Mac etc....if Serato is made for Mac they have to clearly say it straight from the beginning ! Hardware acceleration support is the base for any software that play high definition video. It would be implemented before even thinking to add stuffs like audio and video effects etc...
Culprit 6:58 PM - 4 December, 2012
I agree with ListenDat,

We need a solution for this issue for Windows Machines. Leaving the windows users high and dry and with the "go mac and quit complaining" solution is not good business #imho.

Can we get a solution to this issue already?
DJDaveOtt 7:29 PM - 4 December, 2012
Once you go Mac, you never go back
Culprit 8:29 PM - 4 December, 2012
nice slogan buddy, I use a mac..

anyways this issue does need to be addressed.. slogans or not
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:50 PM - 4 December, 2012
It just seems like they don't give a 2 shits about the end user..........Oh Well I guess, I'll just stick to VDJ hell it can do way more then SV anyways.......
skinnyguy 10:20 PM - 4 December, 2012
i thought it was addressed with the use of diff codecs? sorry, i went mac and didn't look back. never bothered to try again with newer versions of vsl.
Dj ListenDat 10:55 PM - 4 December, 2012
Dxva is the directx video acceleration and is compatible with every gpu (intel, nvidia, ati) so at least this one should be supported. Just see how smooth Serato run on even old Mac to see how the graphic part has been forgotten on the windows versions. Enable video acceleration is first not a big deal IMO for the Devs as they managed to do all the rest and the most important stuff to point out again is that you can take whatever video software that can read an hd video on a pc it will be dxva compatible !! SV isn t compatible with intel graphic card on windows and is on Mac ! And this just because of the lack of dxva cause whatever recent computer with intel i3 or i5 or i7 is equipped with a intel hd graphic card which thanks to dxva can read whatever HD video ! So it is truly IMO a lack of windows knowledge and a lack of consideration of pc users. Buying a 500 bucks product + 150 for the video pluggin becomes sad ! Really ! I would have preferred if they had said that it was only supported on Mac. The even saddest is that some users waist so much money in buying an expensive graphic card but it doesn't change anything in the video performance how it isn t exploited !!
DJ DisGrace 11:20 PM - 4 December, 2012
The problem is, when SV was released it was a "rebuild from the ground up". If dxva support was going to b added, that would have been the time...
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:09 AM - 5 December, 2012
Because serato DOES NOT USE DIRECTX.

Serato uses OPENGL which works great on mac os but on windows opengl runs like crap because not many use that for windows they use directx so drivers are always made best to work with directx than open gl.

You need serato to rewrite there software for windows in directx.
Culprit 5:29 AM - 5 December, 2012
then why even make it compatible for windows. False advertisement if the product does not work properly and that could be considered a legal issue, especially in the states
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:51 AM - 5 December, 2012
Truth^^
and the worst part about is the lack of help they'll give you!! Always "here look at this link" or you get some half assed answer.
Dj ListenDat 1:36 PM - 5 December, 2012
Quote:
Because serato DOES NOT USE DIRECTX.

Serato uses OPENGL which works great on mac os but on windows opengl runs like crap because not many use that for windows they use directx so drivers are always made best to work with directx than open gl.

You need serato to rewrite there software for windows in directx.

In that case it need to be optimized. I explain my self. Go on the internet and seek some OPENGL comparison tests between OSX and WIN and you'll se that with the same hardware it is more performant on WIN.

Then, take a look at the performance of an inten hd 4000 graphic card. You'll see that it is one of the less performant GPU of the market and way less performant than majority of Nvidia and ATI GPUs. So if with the same setup Serato performs better on OSX first it is because of a lack of optimisation of the windows version and then it is unacceptable than the same intel hd 4000 isn't supported at all knowing it is on OSX and knowing it is just for HD videos and this doesn't require a monster GPU ! Try to play games like Crysis you'll understand what the need of high performance GPU will mean
SeriousCyrus 2:13 PM - 5 December, 2012
Quote:
In that case it need to be optimized. I explain my self. Go on the internet and seek some OPENGL comparison tests between OSX and WIN and you'll se that with the same hardware it is more performant on WIN.

Not sure it's as simple as that, OSX uses opengl as well as it's own stuff, so while OpenGL may run faster, it really depends if the app graphics are just done in openGL, or if uses OSX core graphics, which does use opengl, but also has other optimisations. OpenGL benchmarks might apply when you're rendering thousands of polygons, but displaying a UI, decoding videos and applying effects is handled very effeciently in osx, I'm not sure what windows is like in this respect.
Dj ListenDat 2:44 PM - 5 December, 2012
Yes it is definitely something linked with a lack of optimisation. But to be honest i think they won't do anything. They should just advise people of poor performance with PC
XRM5 9:02 PM - 5 December, 2012
They're not gonna add anything to video until this epic Serato DJ rollout is finished next year.

I could be wrong, but that's always how it's been in the past--the audio side comes first, video sits around until things get so out of hand that they HAVE to update. And Scratch Live will be due for some love when SDJ is caught up, so it will probably be even longer.

I'm expecting no video news whatsoever until at least late summer 2013, but I'd love to be proven wrong. A surprise video update with some useful features & fixes would be a sign that they're turning things around.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:15 PM - 5 December, 2012
Why hasn't anyone from Serato even chimed in yet?? Surely their reading this and doing some testing of their own........
skinnyguy 7:50 AM - 6 December, 2012
but serato video updates are supposed to happen more frequently now that it was re-written from the ground up.
Dj ListenDat 7:52 AM - 6 December, 2012
Quote:
Why hasn't anyone from Serato even chimed in yet?? Surely their reading this and doing some testing of their own........

I guess they will never manifest themselves here
tomatoslice 11:51 PM - 21 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I guess they will never manifest themselves here

if you want ANY help from serato you either have to call or post a help thread because once they stop development on serato video products they disappear from here for months.
it's very disheartening.
Culprit 12:10 AM - 22 February, 2013
Literally huh.. this place is a ghost town compared to 2008
djkavika 4:57 PM - 28 May, 2014
Is the real issue that QuickTime doesn't use hardware acceleration?
Dj ListenDat 8:50 PM - 30 May, 2014
Yes sir it is !!
PopRoXxX 7:00 PM - 12 June, 2014
Quote:
Literally huh.. this place is a ghost town compared to 2008

SO TRUE!!!! lol