Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Anyone taken an SX apart?

LJ_WOOLSEY 9:06 AM - 4 December, 2012
Hi there has anyone yet taken an sx apart to see if there is any kind of jog tension like there is in the cdj range???

Would be really nice to know this info. As the platters are sooo stiff.

I do not own one just get to use one so can not take one apart my self.

Any info on that would be nice.
Qoolee Kid 8:14 PM - 7 December, 2012
I haven't opened mine up, but the tension on the wheels are just fine for me. They're smooth, doesn't take much effort to move back and forth. Enough tension to kind of emulate a rotating platter (if that makes any sense.)
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:07 PM - 7 December, 2012
What??? You tried a back spin lol
DJCheLu 11:40 PM - 7 December, 2012
I think they are fine, way less tension then the ddj s1 i tried at guitar center. And much smoother too. As far as a back spin I just got in the habbit of manually back spinning with my finger on the inside of the platter lol
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:19 AM - 8 December, 2012
Coolio thats good would still like to see if they can be made more loose tho.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:40 AM - 8 December, 2012
*Disclaimer*

If you faint easily DO NOT LOOK!!!!

I warned you!

Viewers discretion is advised.

Ummm

I do not think there is room for an innofader?
i45.servimg.com

Yep just a solid frame underneath the faceplate. Nothing you can upgrade here.
i45.servimg.com
i45.servimg.com

Rear view: a sea of pc board
i45.servimg.com

So you said you want to adjust the platter tension eh? good luck! LOL
i45.servimg.com

looking into the Spindle.
i45.servimg.com

Tiny E-clip... A little bigger than a quarter
i45.servimg.com

After removing the E clip I stopped.
tiny wires that goes through the spinder for the dial illumination made me stop.
too delicate.
I examined where the platter is housed and I do not believe that there are tension springs inside/underneath the platter.
The small size of the platter and the large ass E-Clip makes me believe that there are no springs. The spindle is very thick to support the jog wheel.
And remember DDJSX is touch conductive, not pressure touch like the CDJs.

Well I guess this my early xmas present to you all.
Do not void your warranty.
LEAVE THE UNIT ALONE!
Saved you a headache.
Just enjoy the the DDJ-SX.

It was fun, but tooo much damn screws!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:35 AM - 8 December, 2012
I'd say go with an "Innobender", www.innofader.com

Good luck......
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:50 PM - 8 December, 2012
Wow thanks for the pics, ya thats a shame it can't be changed. Still a great unit. And good luck with the innofader.
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:54 PM - 8 December, 2012
Also from those pics it looks like you can not get to the faders easy to replace them?? Does this look like the case???
Rhodesy 3:45 PM - 8 December, 2012
Quote:
*Disclaimer*

If you faint easily DO NOT LOOK!!!!

I warned you!

Viewers discretion is advised.

Ummm

I do not think there is room for an innofader?

i45.servimg.com

Yep just a solid frame underneath the faceplate. Nothing you can upgrade here.

i45.servimg.com

i45.servimg.com

Rear view: a sea of pc board

i45.servimg.com

So you said you want to adjust the platter tension eh? good luck! LOL

i45.servimg.com

looking into the Spindle.

i45.servimg.com

Tiny E-clip... A little bigger than a quarter

i45.servimg.com

After removing the E clip I stopped.

tiny wires that goes through the spinder for the dial illumination made me stop.

too delicate.

I examined where the platter is housed and I do not believe that there are tension springs inside/underneath the platter.

The small size of the platter and the large ass E-Clip makes me believe that there are no springs. The spindle is very thick to support the jog wheel.

And remember DDJSX is touch conductive, not pressure touch like the CDJs.

Well I guess this my early xmas present to you all.

Do not void your warranty.

LEAVE THE UNIT ALONE!

Saved you a headache.

Just enjoy the the DDJ-SX.

It was fun, but tooo much damn screws!

dam you got balls lol!! Thanks for that info and voiding your warranty for our bennifit
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:56 PM - 8 December, 2012
Quote:
Also from those pics it looks like you can not get to the faders easy to replace them?? Does this look like the case???

I hate to say it but you have to take out everything just to get to the line faders. And because how thin the ddjsx is, i am assumung that the line faders are soldered onto the pc board.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:44 PM - 8 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I hate to say it but you have to take out everything just to get to the line faders. And because how thin the ddjsx is, i am assumung that the line faders are soldered onto the pc board.

DAMN! that's a shitter.
deejdave 7:31 AM - 9 December, 2012
Seriously one more week and I too was going to take the sx to the operating table. you saved me that headache as its not so hard to do as much as stressfull just praying the rebuild goes well. as a upside the unit does look well built. the only thing I'm unsure of on my side is the spindle assembly. until I see/feel with my personally i jjust won't be satisfied. even seeing video of the platter making a 360 while seeing what is moving/stationary may help............. not expecting you to do as you've already done a great service already I'm just saying.
phatbob 11:42 AM - 9 December, 2012
DJ_X_Trodinaire you are an incredibly brave and slightly deranged individual. Respect to you, Sir.

And if your unit ever packs up, we will all swear to Pioneer that we have never seen such photos. ;-)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 7:39 PM - 9 December, 2012
Quote:
DJ_X_Trodinaire you are an incredibly brave and slightly deranged individual. Respect to you, Sir.

And if your unit ever packs up, we will all swear to Pioneer that we have never seen such photos. ;-)

Aww man my computer was hacked! where did these pictures come from? ;D
deejdave 1:34 AM - 10 December, 2012
Hahaha Aaaaaamen!!
FabulousFrequencies 4:35 AM - 11 December, 2012
I'm going to take a stab at debunking your fears from a personal engineering perspective because i've not taken on apart yet.

The reason the spindle would be that thick is because it could be HOLLOW. With a center shaft that is also hollow to route the LED wiring. This would prevent spin/rub from the wires and subsequent damage. So there is a 99% chance after you popped that C clip that you could have just taken the jog off right then and there.

Now, before you get excited. Once it's up you would need to determine if there is any clearance between the jog and center assembly for counter weights. Weights positioned in 4 opposing places on the outside of the wheel (underneath of course) would add inertia on a spin. Once the added mass is present, a spin, once in motion, would stay in motion longer. Think of getting tires balanced on fancy rims. You ask that the balance weights be put on the back side of the rims, right? Same thing.

You can buy weights by the gram all over the web in different shapes and sizes, or depending on the clearance even your tire mounting shop for some horseshoe weights, then you clip off the clip section and just attach the weight. How you attach it, is your problem :-P

And MAN that PCB reeks of Pioneer... hahahahah! Sorry, been working on their stuff all my life.

- Matt
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:25 PM - 16 December, 2012
^Correct,
The jog wheel spindle is hollow so the wires for the light and the stem that holds the light dial in place.
Beat_Wilson 5:49 AM - 26 February, 2013
One last time... Your all saying you cannot take out the crossfader on the ddj sx
Ragman 6:44 AM - 26 February, 2013
I don't think anyone said you couldn't replace the xfader. If you look very closely at a pic of the SX you'll notice the two removeable screws on the xfader. That typically means it's replaceable. It looks as though you're stuck (for now) with replacing it with Pio's own proprietary xfader. The channel faders on the other hand are another matter as they look to be non-replaceable. Bummer... This is why I love the Numark V7s and hope they come out with a V7 MKII. You just add the mixer of your choice.
phatbob 7:53 AM - 26 February, 2013
What Ragman says is correct. The crossfader is DEFINTELY replaceable, Pioneer's own literature says so. But at this time, only with their own original part.

If you're looking for an upgrade, your best option is to email Elliot at Audio Innovate and see if he can help you work out a way to fit an Innofader.
Beat_Wilson 7:56 AM - 26 February, 2013
Damn. Good point. Well if someone has a link for a crossfader that would work... Post it up when you can and know it works. Thanks guys :)
Beat_Wilson 8:04 AM - 26 February, 2013
Nice. Thanks P.B.
Nice. Thanks P.B.
Nice. Thanks P.B.
Rolando 6:40 AM - 20 April, 2013
Quote:
What Ragman says is correct. The crossfader is DEFINTELY replaceable, Pioneer's own literature says so. But at this time, only with their own original part.

If you're looking for an upgrade, your best option is to email Elliot at Audio Innovate and see if he can help you work out a way to fit an Innofader.

Broke the DDJ-SX crossfader in transport. Cannot find ANYWHERE the replacement part crossfader. Every DJ store I've contacted has no idea either. Does anyone know how I can get a replacement crossfader?
wadup 4:27 PM - 20 April, 2013
Contact Pioneer
Punky 8:47 PM - 5 May, 2013
Did you guys still need some info on the Innofader for this unit? I'm an Audio Innovate rep and I can help you out.
wadup 10:16 PM - 5 May, 2013
When is the mini innofaders begin shipping
Punky 10:40 PM - 5 May, 2013
We are working on that. I don't want to throw out any exact dates but it is in the works.
Anwaar Himsef™ 6:48 AM - 20 August, 2013
Anwaar Himsef™ 6:50 AM - 20 August, 2013
Quote:
When is the mini innofaders begin shipping
yes, Id ike to know which will work with the SX.. No one has been able to answer that yet.
Punky 6:26 PM - 20 August, 2013
The mini-Innofader is not available for consumer purchase yet, but we are working on it.
Anwaar Himsef™ 6:43 PM - 20 August, 2013
Oh okay, thank you ツ
Punky 10:34 PM - 14 February, 2014
Hey so the mini-Innofader will be available for consumer purchase very soon!

innofader.com
deejdave 1:54 AM - 15 February, 2014
Already being sold via PSSL.com no? Innofader PNP Mini custom VCA Crossfader - $99.99 for use with DDJ-SX and virtually all Pioneer DJM mixers.
Punky 9:48 PM - 17 February, 2014
Not available til April 18th! But yeah, you can preorder there!
DJ Sidies 12:01 AM - 18 May, 2014
Anyone had to replace the cue on the sx?
jasonfubar 3:30 PM - 8 April, 2015
hi everyone, glad i seen these picture as i was about to attempt taking apart my unit to replace channel 3 fader as it crackles and dips out at maximum volume. I ordered a new fader online, but when it came i was afraid to take the unit apart in case it needs soldering.

can anyone give me a quick fix on this ?? need it doing urgently !

(Fader part is Pioneer 418-S1-701-HA )
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:17 PM - 8 April, 2015
My headphone adapter (big to small) broke in the unit. I opened mine up over the weekend... Loads of screws on the SX.
I still couldn't get the thing out, its one the tip part of the headphone jack thats left in it. Hope I won't have to replace the whole headphone port. It's soldered to the board.

I still have the small headphone port working, dunno why I prefer the bigger jack tho
WildcardX 2:13 PM - 9 April, 2015
See if this helps or you can search Google for alternatives using "How to remove broke 1/4" headphone adapter from headphone port" and refine accordingly.

forums.stevehoffman.tv
WildcardX 2:16 PM - 9 April, 2015
TorresReyes 1:31 AM - 11 October, 2016
Has anyone ever replaced the rgb light? cause my blue light on the pad doesnt light up after i did a firmware update. and its annoying. any help would be great.