Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Intel QuickSync Decoder, Hope for Serato Video on Intel HD Graphics Cards

Culprit 6:23 PM - 15 November, 2012
forum.doom9.org
sourceforge.net

"Updated Nov. 7th 2012
Hi,
My name is Eric Gur and I've taken upon myself a side project at my Intel position to make the Intel SandyBridge (or newer) hardware accelerated video decoding technology freely accessible to everyone.
The project name is Intel QuickSync Decoder.

To do so, I decided to embed the Intel QuickSync technology introduced in SandyBridge into the widely popular FFDShow video decoder filter.
Nowadays, the Intel QuickSync Decoder is officially integrated in FFDShow, LAV Video Decoder and PotPlayer.

Main features
* HW decode using Intel's high performance QuickSync engine.
* Decodes H264, MPEG2, VC-1, WMV9. DVD playback not supported.
* HW deinterlacing -auto or forced, with half or full (50/60p) output rate
* HW denoise and detail filters
* Soft 3:2 pulldown on marked streams.
* Support variable frame rate streams.

If your system meets the requirements, I'd appreciate stability feedback with assorted quality and sources of video content.
To report a bug report or feature request, please post in this thread.

If something is broken, please provide me with a detailed report including (after reading the known issues section below) :
1. Hardware (CPU, GPUs)
2. Software (OS, driver version, player, splitter, etc.)
3. Access to the offending content. Share via your favorite file share sites. Limit content to <100MB.

Requirements:
1. SandyBridge (2nd Generation Core i3/i5/i7/celeron/pentium) or newer. Older platforms will not work and no plans to support them.
2. Latest Intel graphic drivers. Intel GPU must either be the primary GPU, extended display or use Lucid Virtu.
3. Windows 7 (32/64) or newer OS. Should work in Vista but I can't test this.

Known Issues:
* Jumpy playback or heavy corruption on many clips are the result of drivers obtained from Windows Update. Download drivers from your OEM website or directly from Intel's download center. Some versions of Lucid Virtu will cause video playback in 64 bit player to display frames out of order.
* Frame rate is wrong or incorrect aspect ratio: Haali Media Splitter is sending corrupt time stamps or aspect ratio. LAV splitter is recommended.
* After a seek in a TS file, a corruption is seen for a few frames. LAV splitter known issue.
* Resolutions greater than 1080p aren't supported in SandyBridge.

Installation:
1. An ffdshow installer is supplied.
2. Open FFDShow configuration dialog and select 'Intel Quicksync' from the codec page for the desired formats (H264/VC1/MPEG2).

Version 0.40 is out with the following changes:
* Removed all MT code, cleaning up the design. MT copy is still here
* Wrote basic AVX2 copy function (unused and untested).
* Enabled DVD decode. Not enabled well in ffdshow. Used in LAV 0.53 and up.
* Out of beta!
* FFDShow: r4490

Downloads
* For the latest cutting edge FFDShow builds download my builds Intel QuickSync Decoder SourceForge home page
* FFDShow-tryout site
* LAV Splitter builds
Culprit 6:25 PM - 15 November, 2012
This would require Serato to unrestrict Intel HD Cards from Serato Video in the next beta test.
Code:E 9:59 PM - 15 November, 2012
this is a PC only thing right.
Culprit 10:00 PM - 15 November, 2012
Yes, there is no issues with the macbookpro side of video djing.
Dj ListenDat 1:54 PM - 5 March, 2013
Regarding the performance of Quicksync, they would solve so many laptop problems buy re-enabling the intel gpu support. Using the free ffdshow or even better the free Lav Filters with intel quick sync forced, would give amazing performance. But i guess as usual they don't listen to the users advices. I'm not even sure this thread will be read. Let's see

Hey Serato are you FUCKING there ?
Culprit 9:20 PM - 5 March, 2013
Hey Listendat,

I wouldnt get to riled up on this subject. I have been on these forums since around 08. Around that time, they had the team that actually cared about the video aspects of things. After the release of itch, the focus shifted and we didnt see an update for a good 3 years (guessing off the top of my head).

To put it bluntly, either for the pc or the mac, Serato gives mabey 3% of its focus on the video spectrum, if that. They are around 85% focused on Serato DJ, and 12% focused on Scratch Live. That's a STRONG 3% if any, and out of that measly 3%, 2% is focused on the mac side of things, and 1% (if that) focused on the PC side.

On a positive note, there are alternatives such as Mix Emergency for Mac, and Virtual DJ for PC.
nik39 9:22 PM - 5 March, 2013
Someone should let Serato know...
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 9:28 PM - 5 March, 2013
Hey Guys,

I am aware of this and notified the relevant development teams to investigate further.
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 9:40 PM - 5 March, 2013
Hi Dj ListenDat,

You need to tone down your approach to getting things heard and resolved in a public forum.

Serato mods are always monitoring the forum areas and if you want people to take you seriously then you should act like an adult and stop throwing your toys.

We appreciate the help that you have given users on Windows laptops but as you understand there are a number of variables on Windows laptops that determine the performance of Video-SL and Serato Video on Windows platforms.
Dj ListenDat 10:38 PM - 5 March, 2013
Hi AntonyS

I do understand the amount of different laptop the thing is that as i have already said many times here to get SV to work properly on a decent pc that respect the minimum requirements it only needs that free codecs :

code.google.com

the installation takes 30 seconds then you just have to select hardware acceleration :

-quicksync for intel cards
-cuvid for nvidia cards
-dxva2 for amd and ati cards

Nothing more !

Quicksync of intel give the best results so it's too bad you can just give a registry mod or little patch to renable the intel cards support
nik39 1:20 PM - 7 March, 2013
Hey Anthony,

cool that you guys are onto it :)
DouggyFresh 12:24 PM - 8 March, 2013
Great to hear Serato is always watching! :) Make sure to check out the DXVA and other codecs as well!
DouggyFresh 12:25 PM - 8 March, 2013
Quote:
Great to hear Serato is always watching! :) Make sure to check out the DXVA and other codecs as well!

Didn't mean codecs, I meant accelerators... doh!
Dj ListenDat 3:46 PM - 8 March, 2013
+1

GPU acceleration is what has to be worked on
DouggyFresh 12:58 PM - 9 March, 2013
Quote:
+1

lol, exactly... I was running VDJ + videos at 10% CPU usage, Serato was at 70% and choppy. I just don't get it, I understand the whole Mac compatibility, but really...
Dj ListenDat 1:06 PM - 9 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
+1

lol, exactly... I was running VDJ + videos at 10% CPU usage, Serato was at 70% and choppy. I just don't get it, I understand the whole Mac compatibility, but really...

I like
Dj ListenDat 1:07 PM - 9 March, 2013
My vdj pitch calculation is so fucking crap so i have given up
DouggyFresh 1:15 PM - 9 March, 2013
Quote:
My vdj pitch calculation is so fucking crap so i have given up

I run VDJ on a 5 year old laptop at the strip club (running Win Vista!) that literally plays even 720P videos without a hiccup... Obviously pitch control is not an issue there but that laptop runs about 20% CPU usage... Instead of running a pre-mix set early last night, I just plugged a 1/4" cable into my audio output, ran VDJ, setup a playlist and off and rocked a video set...
Dj ListenDat 5:23 PM - 9 March, 2013
You use autosync ? cause i found it's not accurate in the calculation at all like when you move the vinyl it recalculates etc...
DouggyFresh 9:49 PM - 10 March, 2013
Quote:
You use autosync ? cause i found it's not accurate in the calculation at all like when you move the vinyl it recalculates etc...

No automix... I was just using the auto fade, it's just a little bar that has a jukebox normally, not a Vegas super club lol.... Plus I was playing rock and country at the time...
DJ DisGrace 10:19 PM - 10 March, 2013
Quote:
You use autosync ?

Quote:
No automix.

I'd assume the GPU usage peaks when the pitch of a video is changed? Compared to playing at its 'native' speed?
Dj ListenDat 5:20 PM - 13 March, 2013
Dj ListenDat 2:21 AM - 31 March, 2013
i was testing VDJ and was monitoring. With 2 720p videos running at the same time had 24% percent cpu usage 8% gpu load and cpu fixed @2.74ghz (asus ux32vd r4002v)

I really hope they are working on get things better on the Serato side :(
DJ DisGrace 3:20 AM - 31 March, 2013
New Quicktime Codec pack was released today. Not sure if it will affect how SV handles things. Anyone (i.e. DJMark) have any more info?
DouggyFresh 6:59 AM - 31 March, 2013
Quote:
i was testing VDJ and was monitoring. With 2 720p videos running at the same time had 24% percent cpu usage 8% gpu load and cpu fixed @2.74ghz (asus ux32vd r4002v)

Crazy isn't it?
Dj ListenDat 10:30 AM - 31 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Crazy isn't it?

With SV my CPU drops for an unknown reason and runs between 2ghz and 2,21ghz. Cpu load is aroung 60% and Gpu load is around 50%. I use the Lav Filters that permit me to take advantage of my GPU. I have tested everything else possible and it gives the best results especially with HD videos.

So yes it is damn crazy ! I was wondering how VDJ could give a so smooth playblack using such little amount of ressources. I have also made a lot of researches but when i say lot of it is LOT OF; this to find a way to take advantage of GPU with SV. And i was able to see that every single video application in 2013 can use GPU hardware acceleration to have smoother playback. Even in browsers like CHROME or INTERNET EXPLORER you have now GPU support. In the Lateste OFFICE 2013 that isn't made for video, now there is GPU support. If the next Serato Video update doesn't bring GPU acceleration it will mean that for real the guys :

- Don't read our discussions that contain lots of good advices
- Don't know much about PC (end of discuss). If you for example take 15 seconds to read the specs of the new i5 and i7 you directly see they took their time to implement Intel quick sync for video handling. You look at the Ati and Nvidia websites and see that they also create technologies like PureVideo,CUDA and OPENCL to handle video as well. On the hold Intel Core2 duo machines with Intel GPU they had implemented Intel Clear Video HD as well. Even microsoft created the DXVA technologie years ago. Most of the GPU support it.

If what i'm talking about is chinese for Serato staff, here you go :

www.intel.com
www.intel.fr
www.nvidia.com
www.nvidia.com
www.amd.com

But from what i also understand the main problem of Serato is that it is encoded in OpenGL and not DirectX. So it is more difficult to make a GPU hardware acceleration support that would feat every GPU brand. If it was DirectX the implementation of DXVA support would have solved everyone problems but it's not possible. So know they have to develop the GPU hardware acceleration for every technology which i guess is a lot of work :s
Dj ListenDat 10:35 AM - 31 March, 2013
Here is the solution to have most of the GPUs giving their power to have a flawlessly working SV app : OPENCL

en.wikipedia.org
Dj ListenDat 10:40 AM - 31 March, 2013
OPENCL_OPENGL interoperability :

www.dyn-lab.com
www.cmsoft.com.br
software.intel.com
DJMark 10:51 AM - 31 March, 2013
Quote:
New Quicktime Codec pack was released today. Not sure if it will affect how SV handles things. Anyone (i.e. DJMark) have any more info?

I assume you mean this?: support.apple.com

Should have no effect on SV or ME, those codecs are used for apps like Final Cut Pro.
Dj ListenDat 1:47 PM - 31 March, 2013
I was looking at the quicktime options and the hardware acceleration support is through DirectX. So as Serato is OpenGL i think that is why the Quicktime usage of Serato isn't as efficient as it is on MAC. On MAC the GPU is used by default with Quicktime. On windows it is done through DirectX. So again unless they implement OpenCL (to permit not to have to code each GPU models) we won't have SV working well soon. I honestly don't think we will have that this year. And it's not about being pessimistic.

Hope VDJ 8 will be a good surprise for timecode engine. VDJ with same timecode engine than serato is IMO the good choice
Dj ListenDat 10:40 AM - 17 April, 2013
www.necacom.net

I have asked the intel quick sync decoder author if they're going to take advantage of this. If yes, this would mean the possibility to use quick sync technology even if SV is forced to run with the discrete GPU (Nvidia or Ati or AMD). May be very interesting.........Then will have to see if it works with SV
Dj ListenDat 10:24 AM - 22 May, 2013
Now whatever PC computer with Sandy bridge or Ivy bridge (i3/i5/i7) (intel HD3000 or HD4000) and win8 can use the Intel Quick Sync technology even if the iGPU isn't in use.

forum.doom9.org

Unfortunately the nvidia optimus disable igpu and dgpu has been set in a profile. Don't know for Ati and Amd owners. Perhaps they could test.

I hope the next version of SV will enable again the support of intel GPU because the new HD3000 and HD4000 (i3/i5/i7) offer strong performance in video decoding and encoding thanks to the intel Quick Sync technology which is supported through FFDSHOW which is supported officially by Serato and this in WIN7 and WIN8
Dj ListenDat 2:31 PM - 10 June, 2013
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I am aware of this and notified the relevant development teams to investigate further.

Hi AntonyS,

Did you have a look at this : www.tomshardware.com

Intel Quick Sync is so powerful for video decoding on i3,i5 and i5. No need to a big nvidia or ati GPU anymore to run SV smooth
DouggyFresh 7:35 AM - 11 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Hi AntonyS,

Did you have a look at this : www.tomshardware.com

Intel Quick Sync is so powerful for video decoding on i3,i5 and i5. No need to a big nvidia or ati GPU anymore to run SV smooth

But you forget, video decoding is only a part of SV, it's the effects that require OpenGL, and Intel is not really good on OpenGL hardware acceleration. We can only hope that one day SV will improve hardware acceleration in such a way that the majority of processing can be moved into the GPU rather than the CPU.
Dj ListenDat 12:26 PM - 11 June, 2013
I understand what you're saying but this part, video decoding, is one of the main. To test just compare your FPS/CPU usage when :

- you use ffdshow
- you use lav video decoder with cuvid or dxva2b

The hardware acceleration offered by the video decoder does have its importance in improving the use of SV. As i don't think we will see SV using hardware acceleration cause it requires developement, i think re-allowing intel GPU would ask less efforts.

The Intel Quick Sync technology is very powerfull. It will be even more with Haswell technology. By now SV should be running perfect on PC or MAC that have i5 or i7 CPU. Serato devs should learn more about this technology. The thing is i doubt they will. That is why i'm just asking them to give us a little fix to permit the use of intel GPU as it was possible before with video SL