DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

"Real vinyl DJ's"

Lynn Sound Systems 7:39 PM - 13 May, 2008
I was spining at a bar over the weekend and heard from a friend that bounces there that some guy braging aboug how great of a dj he is because he uses "REAL VINYL" not this computer bullSh#t Telling everone how you have to have real vinyl to be a real dj. To me this is a guy that Knows verry little about technolgy you have to be stupid to still want to carry 20+ crates of records to bar for a performance, when you can do the same thing and better using serato. All I can think is that this guy must have no clue Or no Money. Especialy since serato incorperates real records with the time code on them. Can anyone give me a reason you would want to use Your actual crates of records VS Serato?
Place was packed Shoulder to shoulder on both floors til close It was my first night playing there. Friends that work there regulary said they havent seen it get packed and stay packed like that since they been working there, the usual Djs use dual deck cd players and or serato with cd control. I brought My coffin and serato set up with the 1200's I had people coming up to me all night complimenting on the music and literaly bashing the other DJs. I must have done somthing rite. L.O.L.
dirtbag filthy 7:49 PM - 13 May, 2008
had something similar happen to me at a gig i had recently in LA...i overheard someone say something about microwave but i didnt hear it all and brushed it off...went ahead and did my thing and got lots of compliments throughout the night

most times...its not the tool it's how you use it
Maskrider 9:51 AM - 14 May, 2008
Some people just acts that technology does'nt exist......Poor souls.
Logisticalstyles 11:53 AM - 14 May, 2008
It's usually like you said, they are either have no clue or no money. If they have no money it's probably because they aren't playing out enough to afford it. That used to be my situation. I couldn't justify buying it until I was spinning regularly every week so I just hated on SSL. I was like 'nah, just give me the real wax'. As soon as I got SSL I was hooked.
sixxx 1:30 PM - 14 May, 2008
I doubt that anyone who uses strictly vinyl would have no money. Money can't be the issue there. Real vinyl is more expensive.

Also, there is NOTHING like vinyl. Serato comes close, very close, but it's not like real vinyl. You don't believe me? Ask those who know.... vinyl heads who have been spinning with vinyl for years.

Now, I would gladly bring a record bag or a crate of records and kill any microwave on Serato just to shut them up.

However, Serato is a great tool, one that enhances the skills of those who already have them... and unfortunately, a tool that can help microwaves.
DeezNotes 1:36 PM - 14 May, 2008
Quote:
I doubt that anyone who uses strictly vinyl would have no money. Money can't be the issue there. Real vinyl is more expensive.

SSL does save you money in the long run, but usually cheap asses are too broke to look at anything "long term." It's the same logic as people who buy cheap ass turntables instead of Technics. When you live paycheck to paycheck, its easier to spend a few dollars on vinyl singles vs. $1000 for SSL and a basic laptop.
sixxx 1:49 PM - 14 May, 2008
We're talking about purists here... it's gotta be the fact that it goes against their values - unless you're right and they're used to getting free vinyl from radio which is almost non-existent now.
DeezNotes 3:15 PM - 14 May, 2008
Some people are purists... some are just assholes who refuse to accept positive change. Either way, I could care less what the next man is doing cause I'll be damned if I take another crate out the house for a gig.
sixxx 3:19 PM - 14 May, 2008
Fo real!
dirtbag filthy 3:26 PM - 14 May, 2008
primo was a hater....look what he is using now lol
SELECT 3:31 PM - 14 May, 2008
No lie, I met one of the "purists" at Guitar Center last year... behind the counter. Dude didnt even know about serato?!?! He went on to tell me how no computer program could ever replace the DJ, blah, blah, etc. How he played to thousands of people back in the day. He was a techno Dj. I explained to him what serato was and he still didnt believe. This is coming from someone who works at Guitar Center! I said screw this dude and got someone else to help me.

Fast forward to this year.. Im shopping downtown and who do I see working behind the counter at some souvenir shop.. Mr. purist.

100% of the time these purists are clueless as to what Serato is. They think they know, but they have no idea. They also arent working. I only know one DJ in the Boston area who still brings out the crates, but its for an old school kinda thing. Everyone else has switched, even the die hard guys.. including myself.
dj buterd hams 2:52 AM - 20 May, 2008
Quote:

Also, there is NOTHING like vinyl. Serato comes close, very close, but it's not like real vinyl. You don't believe me? Ask those who know.... vinyl heads who have been spinning with vinyl for years.

Now, I would gladly bring a record bag or a crate of records and kill any microwave on Serato just to shut them up.

However, Serato is a great tool, one that enhances the skills of those who already have them... and unfortunately, a tool that can help microwaves.
i agree 100% sixxx. plus i think the sound of vynil is better then mp3's . more deep and has some heart . serato makes sence for a reald dj who has paid dues. not wannabes. that spin when there girls around .
Rebelguy 9:11 PM - 20 May, 2008
I had a chance to check out Grandmaster Flash last Sunday at Body English. He rolled in with 5 crates of records and Traktor. I would say that about 90% of his set was off vinyl. Did he have all the same songs in his computer...probably. Some people just like the real thing.
SpinThis! 9:31 PM - 20 May, 2008
I prefer scratching using the real thing... I feel a little latency with SSL on really heavy scratching... but when it saves wear and tear on your originals, who wouldn't want to use it?
monkeybiz 10:16 PM - 20 May, 2008
One of my favourite DJ cohort/buddies spins ONLY vinyl, and makes similar comments about other methods not being "real DJ'ing", but if he really felt strongly about it, he wouldn't invite local or touring DJ's to spin with SSL, Ableton, Traktor, etc, etc, at his events alongside him. It's a matter of individual taste, too.

For me, I just like to be ready for different situations so I can bring my record bag or my CD's or my laptop, but usually even a combination.

Rebelguy: "I had a chance to check out Grandmaster Flash last Sunday at Body English. He rolled in with 5 crates of records and Traktor. I would say that about 90% of his set was off vinyl."

Traktor, huh? How many DJ's would hate on Grandmaster Flash now knowing that? I'd like to see what he does with it.
Logisticalstyles 2:28 AM - 21 May, 2008
Apparently not much if he still needs 5 crates of records. Maybe he's contractually obligated to haul that Traktor shit around for his sponsorship.
stevie o 2:37 AM - 21 May, 2008
I don't feel any latency on SSL
sixxx 2:50 AM - 21 May, 2008
You can feel the latency when scratching... mainly fast cuts.
Rebelguy 3:11 AM - 21 May, 2008
Quote:

Traktor, huh? How many DJ's would hate on Grandmaster Flash now knowing that? I'd like to see what he does with it.

It's not a secret. He is sponsored by them. You can see him in Traktor Scratch's print adds in most of the DJ magazines as well as him being featured on the website.
Rebelguy 3:15 AM - 21 May, 2008
Quote:
Apparently not much if he still needs 5 crates of records. Maybe he's contractually obligated to haul that Traktor shit around for his sponsorship.

To be honest I don't think he really knows much about the program. He can load songs but he had his roadie looking for songs for him. It probably is a contract thing but I really feel like a lot of the older DJs are just set in their ways. My friend told me he went to check out Funkmaster Flex at an event. He was on Serato but he had a roadie with him that he would tell what song to find and load. Flex didn't even touch the computer the whole night and kept it on Absolute mode.
DeezNotes 3:22 AM - 21 May, 2008
LOL... they have record monkeys!
Bodymovin 3:56 AM - 21 May, 2008
There's nothing like vinyl but everybody is going digital these days. I myself, a die hard vinyl purist, am looking at Serato. Everybody has gone digital and it kills me, but it looks like I have to follow suit or I won't be able to play anywhere. Folks around here are using CDJ's, rendering my records useless. If I purchase serato I can go digital and be able to hook up to their damn CDJ's. Plus I can get music that's not pressed to vinyl. I hate this digital revolution. Vinyl is such a beautiful thing. There is a sound difference between the two but nobody seems to care. Everybody values convince and cheap downloads over such a precious format as vinyl. Digital has it's place but I don't want to see vinyl die. I love vinyl.
sixxx 4:05 AM - 21 May, 2008
Quote:
Flex didn't even touch the computer the whole night and kept it on Absolute mode.

I used strictly absolute mode until smart relative came out. Otherwise, I would still be rocking absolute. :)
Logisticalstyles 8:14 AM - 21 May, 2008
whats 'smart' relative?
stevie o 8:21 AM - 21 May, 2008
relative mode^

Does anyone else feel like we are in a time machine and this discussion is taking place in 2003 or earlier? The technology is both a gift and a curse. I think more of a gift. I love the sound of vinyl but to carry crates of records to gigs is downright retarded in 2008.
Just my opinions.
Viva la serato!
Request_This_Ladies 8:24 AM - 21 May, 2008
I get the 'purists' from time to time and I agree with the difference in sound quality. However in a club environment with a soundsystem pumping out over 100+ dbs, people talking and other ambient noise, sound quality unfortunately is already diminished. I'm one of those ol skool kats that has been around to see both sides.

I have found most Serato haters come from a place of insecurity. I always extend the offer for them to try out my rig. Usually after a few minutes they are asking me what they need to use Serato.
nikh 8:56 AM - 21 May, 2008
Todays big name DJ's are of a different breed. Just this weekend I experience awesome sets by Steve Aoki & Diplo, artists in the field.
Gone are the old days of Trance experts like Tiesto & Van Dyk (sorry Euro Trance lovers). A DJ today needs to be versatile in all sorts of genres, playing a mix mash of everything from Coburn to Nirvana, No Doubt to Axwell, and only a platform like SSL combined with the expertise & experience of these DJ's allows for this variety and flavorful gigs!
Rebelguy 2:16 PM - 21 May, 2008
Quote:
Gone are the old days of Trance experts like Tiesto & Van Dyk (sorry Euro Trance lovers). A DJ today needs to be versatile in all sorts of genres, playing a mix mash of everything from Coburn to Nirvana, No Doubt to Axwell, and only a platform like SSL combined with the expertise & experience of these DJ's allows for this variety and flavorful gigs!

Interesting...Tiesto is booked at 3 separate events (Jet, The Bank, & Rehab) this weekend in Las Vegas and still commanding insane prices. I guess someone wants to see him. ;)
stevie o 2:18 PM - 21 May, 2008
fuck a tiesto.. No homo
sixxx 2:19 PM - 21 May, 2008
Who is Tiesto?
DJ Wildewood 3:45 PM - 21 May, 2008
I've used both vinyl and cds over the past 3 years, i started on vinyl and obtained over 2500 records and recently lost them in a fire, i have been using a friends serato and its amazing to me that people still bring out the crates, i'm glad i put all my records onto a external hard drive, but bringing 1000 records to a gig, i will never do again, im buying my own serato box this week! but its the same as using vinyl minus the hunt through 7 or 8 crates to look for 1 record, all you have to do is type in the name and it will pop up, serato has and will continue to change the realm of this craft! there is nothing wrong with using vinyl but like i say looking through a bunch of crates and the cost of shipping crates is absurd! i tip my hat to every serato user!!
monkeybiz 4:25 PM - 21 May, 2008
Quote:
Who is Tiesto?

Watchwww.youtube.com
Hex1200 5:09 PM - 21 May, 2008
I def. don't miss lugging crates around..
cappinkirk 5:48 PM - 21 May, 2008
some people are just amish like that.
shiestO! 7:24 PM - 21 May, 2008
Quote:
You can feel the latency when scratching... mainly fast cuts.

true. going back to vinyl and scratching it's much faster. you have to be faster that is.
sixxx 7:29 PM - 21 May, 2008
You have to adjust your fader movements to compensate for the delay. It's minimal, but as soon as you switch to regular vinyl you can tell the difference. Once you get on Serato for a while, you kinda forget about cause you adjust.
shiestO! 7:41 PM - 21 May, 2008
my friend bryan's scared of the amish. i shit you not.
Chris Dilla 8:28 PM - 21 May, 2008
I think if you're a bad DJ before you have Serato you're still going to be a bad DJ after you purchase and use Serato. Just because someone owns vinyl doesn't make them a great DJ. My friend has tons of great records and still uses my Serato and still can't beat match.
Maskrider 8:56 PM - 21 May, 2008
Vinyl same as Cd is just a container of Music, it really does'nt matter How Many it's the quality of Music.
SELECT 8:57 PM - 21 May, 2008
I only notice the latency when I do fast chirps. It was weird adjusting from real vinyl cause the sound is always there. My chirps were way off when I started using Serato. I had to compensate a little.
CEO ShOw 9:01 PM - 21 May, 2008
What's good y'all? I've been looking around the site for a minute now, and there's been a lot of convo about this vinyl versus cds versus ssl...

Long story short, if you suck as a dj, YOU SUCK. Point blank period. It doesn't matter whether you use one tool over the other (pause). For example, I was watchin a YouTube video of a dude djing with two TAPE DECKS... and was better than a lot of dj's i know with the latest everything.

Make what you have work for you...
bandoma 10:15 PM - 21 May, 2008
Nice thread, kinda suprised that we're having this discussion in 08. Most vinyl purists that I know finally gave in and admitted that serato / dvs is the way to go.
stevie o 10:33 PM - 21 May, 2008
who is sixxx?
djspeed1 10:43 PM - 21 May, 2008
I been a dj for over 20 years. SSL has definatly made it a lot easier to carry all of your tunes for gigs. But ssl has also made a lot of people who couldn't dj better by having the bpm's. Now if you want to see if that person can really dj, pull out some real viynl and see if they can still be creative with there mixes..... Oh by the way I love SSL.....
sixxx 11:55 PM - 21 May, 2008
Quote:
who is sixxx?

Who is asking? :P
stevie o 12:03 AM - 22 May, 2008
I am the gatekeeper. Are you the keymaster?
sixxx 12:10 AM - 22 May, 2008
bwahahahahaha! Fucken' Ghostbusters!

Classic.
LoKey 5:46 PM - 22 May, 2008
All these "strictly vinyl" cats who do nothing but talk shit about Serato are just insecure about their own "skills" so they need to compensate by letting everybody know how real they keep it.
I always say that the best DJs are the most versatile ones. This goes for music selection as well as equipment. I'd rather be they guy who can step to any booth and manipulate whatever equipment/mixers/tables are put in front of me instead of being the douche who will only spin original first pressings on 1200's.
You can give me a Discman and an 8-Track player with a Gemini starter mixer and I'll rock your party, guaranteed.
Dirty Digits 8:01 AM - 23 May, 2008
Quote:

Actually, I saw Grandmaster Flash rock a party in Brooklyn a couple months ago. And there is no reason to hate.

He basically has 3 types of sets that he rocks. The first is an all original classics breaks & beats type of thing where he runs through & doubles up tracks like "Apache", "Rock it", etc. None of the records play out for more than a minute & all these tracks are on vinyl. But this isn't just regular vinyl, this vinyl is the super rare $100-$150 original presses of each record kind of vinyl. Flash is still playing the original copies of his records out in front of crowds.

The second set is a bit more of the same, breaks played quick, doubled up then quickly slammed to the next, only this time there are more "party anthem" tracks thrown in like "OPP", "Hip Hop Horray" and "Shimmy Shimmy Ya" to get the crowd more involved. Again, all vinyl, all originals.

Now, his third set is the one where Flash plays all of the "current" joints. Jay-Z "just wanna love you", DMX "party up", etc. Basically, all the shit to make the crowd bust. Everything is still in the quick-mix fashion, the only difference is that this entire set is rocked off of his laptop. And Flash murders it.

Now, what's to hate about that?
Flash has definitley incorporated a Mp3's into his set, but it seems it is mainly to stay current.
I have no idea why any real DJ would hate someone like him for doing it.

Sounds to me like some sucka DJs need to stop being so quick to hate once they see a laptop and try to open their eyes and ears and see what's actually being done with it instead.
Caramac 8:42 PM - 23 May, 2008
Quote:
All these "strictly vinyl" cats who do nothing but talk shit about Serato are just insecure about their own "skills" so they need to compensate by letting everybody know how real they keep it.
I always say that the best DJs are the most versatile ones. This goes for music selection as well as equipment. I'd rather be they guy who can step to any booth and manipulate whatever equipment/mixers/tables are put in front of me instead of being the douche who will only spin original first pressings on 1200's.
You can give me a Discman and an 8-Track player with a Gemini starter mixer and I'll rock your party, guaranteed.

+1
dj buterd hams 9:20 PM - 23 May, 2008
Quote:
There's nothing like vinyl but everybody is going digital these days. I myself, a die hard vinyl purist, am looking at Serato. Everybody has gone digital and it kills me, Plus I can get music that's not pressed to vinyl. I hate this digital revolution. Vinyl is such a beautiful thing. There is a sound difference between the two but nobody seems to care. Everybody values convince and cheap downloads over such a precious format as vinyl. Digital has it's place but I don't want to see vinyl die. I love vinyl.
i agree 100