Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Mic Feedback

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
PlugBeta 3:36 PM - 9 November, 2012
Ok, so I have this about $40 Gemini wireless microphone, it's got the receiver on the microphone and you plug the wireless box into the wall and then connect it to your mixer with a 1/4 inch jack, I connected my box to the 4th channel on the mixer, I set the mode on the front of the controller to MIC and lowered the volume on the box for my microphone, now even with the microphone off, my level feedback monitor for my 4th channel is all the way up at red and it's just that loud irritating humming noise, I lowered my trim all the way and everything, then for no reason I pressed the Cue button and nearly blew out my ears and speakers (LOL) With that really loud annoying feedback noise, so basically - my microphone is not working what so ever, but I have tested the microphone with other mixers and such and it works fine, so I know it's not the microphone, any ideas here?
djrocktee 4:52 PM - 9 November, 2012
my 1/4" mic input on my pioneer djm600 was always tweaky so i used the xlr mic input out of my wireless receiver. willing to bet ddj has same issue. i used my 1/4" wired mic on input 2 & it sounds fine. have not tested xlr input 1 yet w/ my wireless tho... i would test a xlr wireless unit on input 1 on your ddj
PlugBeta 5:43 PM - 9 November, 2012
what about if I get an adapter for 1/4 -> XLR instead of getting a new unit, is that okay? SO you're saying wired mics are okay, but for wireless you need XLR?

Thank You!
djrocktee 10:35 PM - 12 November, 2012
i dont know... adapotor might make no difference.. what kinda mic u using?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:44 PM - 12 November, 2012
Does your Gemini has a switch for the output to Line or Mic Level?

Youre probably sending line level to a Mic input on the DDJSX.

show us the model # of the Gemini mic.
Asu 3:27 AM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
what about if I get an adapter for 1/4 -> XLR instead of getting a new unit, is that okay? SO you're saying wired mics are okay, but for wireless you need XLR?

Thank You!

it seems the DDJ-SX has some issues with certain mic types...you will have better luck using an xlr to 1/4 than the other way around from what ive found...also if your wireless receiver can lower volume like many Sure wireless receivers,that will help.

1/4 outputs are line outputs 40-60db louder than XLR.this is why many pioneer mixers generally work better with XLR which has a much much lower output volume...try that and let us know.

you may also have luck with a wired mic...the pre-amp in your wireless receiver may be too loud for the DDJ-SX...switch some things around and let us know :-)

We are waiting for the specs of the Mic input section from pioneer
djwillyrnyc 8:53 PM - 9 January, 2013
I hear this can help the mic problem on the DDJ SX; ProCo Inline Pad Adapter
Adapter for attenuating microphone signals. Available in 10, 20, and 30db versions. XLRF/XLRM configurations.
www.procosound.com
12:56 AM, 11 Jan 2013
djwillyrnyc attached a file: max_group.png
View· Permalink
Asu 4:26 AM - 27 January, 2013
I ran into an issue I've seen with one guy on the pioneer forum...I plugged a 1/4 inch cable in Mic one and it's stuck in there...I'm not gonna try to force it out other than the normal way it should come out...very odd...may have to call pioneer abt this...