Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Controller under electricity

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Shumi 12:32 PM - 4 November, 2012
Okay this one might be a bit confusing, and I know it is hardware-based but:

When my Sx is connectet to a power source - i does not even have to be turned on - I can feel a small amount of electricity going trough my fingers, when I slide them slowly around the upper-right corner vor example.

At first I thought its just how the brushed aluminium plate feels like, but when I plug the power and usb cable out, its gone.

So my question is, does anyone else experience this? Is this
normal?
PlugBeta 1:06 PM - 4 November, 2012
As far as I am concerned, that is VERY "un normal" haha.

I'd make sure you're using the correct voltage power cable, I'd even double check the voltage on both ends (Controller and Power Cable).

I'm thinking maybe you have a defective product as far as the electrical ground inside the product.

I haven't really checked this out, maybe it is normal - but to me it doesn't sound normal, but I will look later :)

Are you like standing and rubbing your feet on a carpet with socks on? :) Lol!
Hellonewman 1:36 PM - 4 November, 2012
I have this problem before, and the electrical in my house was not good. But it is weird because it was only my mixer that would give anything off. It could be a bad ground in your DDJ SX.

Try plugging it in at a different outlet / house all together and see if the problem persists.
Shumi 1:49 PM - 4 November, 2012
I agree, should be a grounding problem. Haven't checked it in a different house yet, but in different rooms :D

Quote:
Are you like standing and rubbing your feet on a carpet with socks on? :) Lol!

No, it's just.. when I see this beautiful baby, there so much love and electricity between me and my sx! literally.

Thank you guys, I might go to the music store tomorrow :)
PlugBeta 2:36 PM - 4 November, 2012
I must say! I haven't left it's side, for the past 3 days! It is beautiful! lmao, My girlfriend hasn't heard from me much recently ;) Found a new love ;p LOL! But it is such an extraordinary piece of equipment. I hope you get your problem resolved so you can enjoy it without electrical shock :D LOL.

Cheers
elsupermang 3:12 PM - 4 November, 2012
Grounding problem in your house. I would avoid using that outlet. In my apartment two of my outlets show up as "reverse polarity" when I tested them. I got a nasty zap one day when I connected my tv's audio to my PC which was plugged into a correctly wired outlet. Only happens on equipment without the 2nd ground plug (3 plugs).
Shumi 4:39 PM - 4 November, 2012
Quote:
My girlfriend hasn't heard from me much recently ;) Found a new love ;p LOL!

Same here :D

So I grounded it to my heater, like i would do with a turntable and it's gone. Didn'd know this have to be done, is it normal?

Again, thank you guys!
PlugBeta 5:09 PM - 4 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
My girlfriend hasn't heard from me much recently ;) Found a new love ;p LOL!

Same here :D

Hahaha - "I make beats, b*tches love beats :D" - DJ 3LAU
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:57 PM - 4 November, 2012
Hi guys,

Yes it looks like you have found the answer to what this could be. It sounds like a grounding problem in either your house, the unit, or a bad power supply. If you have tried other outlets in your house with the problem still existing then I would ring up Pioneer to talk about a replacement/repair.
pioneerdj.com

Cheers :)
WirelessDJ 1:35 AM - 7 November, 2012
You are not nutz and it is not your house. I have the same problem and here is how to reproduce it...!!

1. place the controller on an insulated table, glass or wood
2. plug the controller into the wall but do not plug laptop in
3. turn on DDJ-SX
4. while standing on the concrete floor (grounded) with no shoes, touch the metal top and the jog wheels. move your hand slowly over the metal and you may feel a tingling feeling. 5. unplug the AC adapter, the tingling goes away. that proves it is coming from the controller.

the key is that you must NOT have rubber shoes on and be physically touching the ground I had socks on and was standing on the floor when I found this issue. my apartment is on the GROUND FLOOR

I checked it with a meter but can not measure any voltage but I sure can feel it.

NOW try this again with the laptop...
1. plug the laptop in to the wall, turn it on (in my case A $1300 macbook pro)
2. plug usb into controller, the tingling goes away.
3. unplug the laptop power but leave it connected to the controller the shock comes back

when laptop is plugged in, no shock because it is grounding the controller. on battery it is not grounded.

I am sending mine back and advising everyone I know to test theirs immediately.

its not my electrical system in the house I checked it with a wiring tester!

more likely a bad AC adapter or a floating ground in the DDJ-SX

most people won't notice it because...
1. the laptop is plugged in
2. they are wearing rubber shoes
3. the floor they are standing on is not touching earth
WirelessDJ 1:40 AM - 7 November, 2012
Oh and the AC adapter is NOT grounded (2 prong only). I tried reversing the direction of the plug and it still zaps me.
nik39 12:43 PM - 7 November, 2012
Quote:
So my question is, does anyone else experience this?

Yes. When touching the Macbook with one hand and touching the controller with the other hand, it makes it obvious for me.
Shumi 9:09 PM - 7 November, 2012
So I got mine replaced yesterday, my new one behaves exactly the same!

Maybe it is really something normal and just no one notices it? It's just strange that both controller i had have the same "problem".
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:27 PM - 7 November, 2012
Shumi, have you tried contacting Pioneer about this issue? As they are the ones who manufacture the controllers and would know a bit more about this issue.

Cheers
Shumi 9:36 PM - 7 November, 2012
Not yet, but I will tomorrow.

Going to report the results to you guys then :)
DouggyFresh 8:18 AM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
Not yet, but I will tomorrow.

Going to report the results to you guys then :)

Sounds like a ground loop of sorts - sometimes it results in a nasty buzz, other times it results in energized equipment. Usually the best way to resolve it is to unplug things in the signal path (mixer, laptop, amps, crossovers, EQ's, powered speakers) until you feel (or hear the problem go away). Then you isolate that part by either going to a non-grounded plug or using a ground-lift adapter (in the case of XLR / 1/4 inch balanced audio)....
WirelessDJ 2:52 PM - 8 November, 2012
In my case it was unplugged. Controller and laptop. Not even plugged in to wall. ProSound has been real helpful and is shipping me a replacement
Shumi 4:58 PM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
ProSound has been real helpful and is shipping me a replacement

Did the Problem go away?
WirelessDJ 5:01 PM - 8 November, 2012
Haven't received the 2nd DDJ-SX yet I will let you know though.
djsince74 10:28 PM - 14 November, 2012
Hi
have had this issue with two previous Pioneer products most recently with a ddj aero
It feels kind of weird, but i have not worried about it

I have tried on different power sources different locations and it still happens. I thought it was something to do with the surface texture of the aluminium plates.
WirelessDJ 10:41 PM - 14 November, 2012
is the aero metal like the DDJ-SX?
dj soops 9:01 AM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:

When my Sx is connectet to a power source - i does not even have to be turned on - I can feel a small amount of electricity going trough my fingers, when I slide them slowly around the upper-right corner vor example.

Wow!! come to think of it, I've got the exact same problem.... amongst others

At first I thought its just how the brushed aluminium plate feels like, but when I plug the power and usb cable out, its gone.

normal?
elsupermang 1:47 PM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Wow!! come to think of it, I've got the exact same problem.... amongst others

normal?

Do you have a rug by any chance??
Joeski 1:03 AM - 25 November, 2012
You are absolutely correct WirelessDJ! My house is brand new and all the outlets are grounded properly. I also have tried 2 other houses in the area and the unit still has the same issue. I haven't had the time to do additional Google searches on this or called Pioneer but if anyone has any updates on a resolution please post. Thank you
Sparksta 1:19 PM - 25 November, 2012
It is just normal i think...

my traktor audio 10 has it as well.

i think i do feel it on my mbp sometimes.

i dont worry about it anymore.

what i worry about is my broke linefader and no spareparts and new units :(

guess i have to send it back and wait or wait for spareparts to be available...
Joeski 7:32 AM - 12 December, 2012
Any updates on this issue?
Sparksta 11:58 AM - 12 December, 2012
its normal!