Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ only for controllers?? Why not for Scratch Live users?

Johann Franz 9:15 AM - 3 November, 2012
I don't understand how Serato DJ is only available for controllers users. I think is a fail. Scratch Live users also could use it (in my opinion).
Why Scratch Live user also could use it?
Because there are many people using Scratch Live who hasn't got some funtions of Serato DJ: SYNC (for example).
There are many people who only use a controller like Kontrol X1 (example), they don't use turntables. This is over the years. So it is ver useful for them have a software with Sync button and the don't have to buy another controller or change their habits or even migrate to other software.

Note: This is only an opinion.
VJ Justin Allen 1:48 PM - 3 November, 2012
Many threads on here answer that question. Serato and ScratchLive are tied to Rane products. Everything else is a way for Serato to branch out.

I would be yelling at Rane for not making a controller.
DJ dVO 3:42 PM - 3 November, 2012
My hunch is that Rane will release a controller. Question is, will it be for SSL or DJ. My bet is on the latter else they would cannibalizing their own lines of SL soundcards.
XRM5 7:20 PM - 3 November, 2012
If they wanna really be competitive there needs to be at least one way to use vinyl & controllers together.
XRM5 7:21 PM - 3 November, 2012
a way that doesn't involve using 2 sound cards like now, that is.
magnumrp 8:36 PM - 7 November, 2012
This is really a bummer for me. I just simply want to use my laptop and Serato DJ software for play tracks. My needs are simple. Ultra reliable dj software with a minimum of features that just works! I downloaded the demo for Serato DJ and lI like it's easy to use layout with clearly defined features and buttons, but it won't work with my SL3.

Not everyone needs a DJ controller, I use the Mackie VLZ mixers because of all the requirements of my DJ work.. Huge 130 DB dynamic range and low frequency response. Playing music from classical to Hip Hop requires best fidelity equipment. I've tried Traktor several times but it refuses to work on my Macbook Pro for some undefinable reason.

I would pay good money for Serato DJ and use it as a standalone DJ controller if allowed. with my SL3. They are really missing a huge market here.
taump 9:54 PM - 7 November, 2012
Hi guys

I am certainly not an expert but have used scratch live for a while...I got my Pioneer DDJ SX and have been using it with Serato DJ and so far it has been impressive even with my huge library and may actually think of dropping my Rane 62 if i don't encounter any issues over the next month or two.

IMHO i think scratch live users who want a controller can just get the DDJ SX and use it with Serato DJ its the next best thing to scratch live.
Asu 10:12 PM - 7 November, 2012
Quote:
IMHO i think scratch live users who want a controller can just get the DDJ SX and use it with Serato DJ its the next best thing to scratch live.

+1

Just buy the DDJ-SX + Serato DJ for those gigs where it's practicle...what the rest of you are wishing for can't happen due to the RANE factor...

I don't think Serato or any of us can ever satisfy everyone IMHO.
irieproductions 10:50 PM - 7 November, 2012
im sure Serato will be allowing Timecode signals on controllers at some point is the only way that they can stay competitive alongside Native Instruments since you can use timecode on some of their controllers.

Not being able to do this is really hurting them, they need to bring rane onboard somehow to serato dj and the controllers world.
tristraum 3:37 PM - 11 May, 2013
I'm frustrated with the Scratch Live controller options. I'd love to just use my existing mixer with Serato interface, but use a usb controller instead of vinyl or cdjs, etc WITHOUT changing software. I've already invested in my scratch live interface as an audio interface. Now let me use it with Itch or Serato DJ. Guess not.
haze324 6:26 PM - 11 May, 2013
contract with Rane.
Johann Franz 3:19 PM - 12 May, 2013
In my opinion the only one big difference between Scratch Live and Serato DJ is that Scratch Live hasn't SYNC and Serato DJ hasn't timecode control. It must be a mix between both or impruve both with this skills, but Serato is losing a lot of fans and buyers because of this reasons.
DJ dVO 5:54 PM - 12 May, 2013
Two softwares for two different purposes. The only bridging there might be is if Rane comes out with a controller of their own. But that would conflict the Serato DJ roadmap.

It's frustrating indeed.
Johann Franz 6:48 AM - 5 September, 2013
Well, from the next year we could enjoy: Serato DJ for Scratch users.
sinesthetix 6:49 AM - 5 September, 2013