DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Getting complete Statistics from your History and playlists

DJ AzYz 6:54 AM - 31 October, 2012
Hi ! Sorry for my English. I have been using Serato for a couple of years now, dj'ing 3 to 5 days per week in various Clubs. I have hundreds of playlist in my History. What i want is to reallylearn something from them... Is there any sofware i can load the exported histories to get some stats from the playlists. Like for exemple:

- a top 10/20/30/100 of most payed tracks for all gigs ? Since there is Hours noted in the history, i would like to be able to make a top 20/30 of tracks i usually play before 12.00 or any hour I want. Stuff like that and more. For exemple: what tracks have more chanced to be played on fridays than on Sunday....

I do believe we ca get some mad stats from all the datas located in history, providing we have a good piece of sotfware for that. I don't know nothing about Excel. I know it can do some good things and graphs. But i don't know how to use it... If someone has an idea, is it possible to have a video that will explain how to do stuff like that with Excel ?

I do believe analysing your own track selections is a good way to perfect yourslef. All Sportmen take a lots of stats of their games, matches and do a post mortem way deeper that just listening to the live record of your party. Their are mathematical and statistical thing we should be able to know about ourselves as a DJ... All the datas, names, dates, hours are in those histories in serato, can we do something with that ?

I would pay big money for a plug-in like that...
once again, sorry for my english.
DJ AzYz 7:06 AM - 31 October, 2012
Another examples of stats:
- How long do i stay under 100 BPM on a Monday night gigs ? How much of this genre ? Or the other one ? How long do my tracks play (average)...
- How many different tracks i play each week ? How many have less than 10 plays in my gigs this months ? How many are new ?
- How many tracks do i play per hour (Average) before for exemple 12:00 and after that ? What is my global average speef of mix (Tracks/Hour)

Etc.... etc...
I realise i do not know nothing concrete about me as a DJ... Maybe what i think i realise but their are many other things that could be pointed out if we had a complete stats with the datas in hour histories...
Frankie Glasses 10:41 PM - 31 October, 2012
I dont think this is possible. I have been asking for a track play count for years. That way i can weed out any tracks that are not being played. But please, someone tell me otherwise.
reggae delgado 2:43 AM - 1 November, 2012
Huh. Interesting idea. I don't know anything about the programs one would use to collate the data but certainly since you can export in various formats some kind of analytics could be run. Anyone on here got the know how?
Dj Nyce 2:28 PM - 1 November, 2012
with excel you can gleam alot of info you are looking for. unfortunately no excel spreadsheet exists to do this.

other issues would be that you would have to manually export your history and re-load the spreadsheet everytime you play.
pumpkin patch 5:54 PM - 28 December, 2012
Ive been wanting something just like this. I can make all the crates I want, but what would be really great is to know what tracks I actually played this year. Serato could probably build a web interface to upload play history too. Would also be cool to compare that with other DJs.
Mushpost 9:40 PM - 31 December, 2012
Yes PLEASE! I would love to see my most played songs and albums for a given time period. This must be a simple addition
DJ Matty Stiles 4:19 AM - 1 January, 2013
this is a great idea! tracking.
Todd Analog 7:42 AM - 14 April, 2014
+1
DJ Remy USA 1:13 PM - 14 April, 2014
Export your Serato playlist as a .CSD format from the history and that format will open as a Xcel spreadsheet.

From there you can do a lot of what you are talking about but it will take some knowledge in Xcel but you could create graphs based on BPM, song titles, artist, etc.
monkeyfunk 7:13 AM - 18 April, 2014
I've been wanting someone to create something like this forever - kickstarter this ? Or someone do it and we'll donate development ?
DJ AzYz 9:26 AM - 27 January, 2015
Still believe it would be a cool plug-in for Serato.
DJ Remy USA 12:45 PM - 27 January, 2015
Serato already does this people. Export your sessions as a .csd file its a option in the export drop down? Then open the CSD file with Xcel and Bam you get s full playlist break down.

Try it
Mushpost 3:30 PM - 27 January, 2015
Dj Rem
Quote:
Serato already does this people. Export your sessions as a .csd file its a option in the export drop down? Then open the CSD file with Xcel and Bam you get s full playlist break down.

Try it

The file is called CSV and it does not contain the statistics this thread is requesting. Reading comprehension, sharpen it.
allbert 10:25 PM - 23 June, 2015
+1
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:42 AM - 27 June, 2015
Somebody posted a script for Mac that does this or something similar - I'm on my phone but I will see if I can link to the thread when I get back on my desktop
DJ AzYz 8:13 PM - 23 March, 2016
Still asking for this :)
We have hundreds of histories in our serato. Yet we can't do nothing to analyze them and get some stats about how we are dj'ing... This can be done ''in the cloud''. We could send our histories each months to a server and get a stats page and pay for that service or plug-in...
DJ Remy USA 3:27 PM - 24 March, 2016
Quote:
Still asking for this :)
We have hundreds of histories in our serato. Yet we can't do nothing to analyze them and get some stats about how we are dj'ing... This can be done ''in the cloud''. We could send our histories each months to a server and get a stats page and pay for that service or plug-in...

you can do this already however you need to know how to use xcel in fact I actually do it.

you need to export your sets as .csv file

the open that file in xcel it will give you all that information in each cell

the use one of xcel graphing tools of your choice to see the data and how it correlates to your DJ sets

Its actually helps me keep songs in my library that I actually played 3 years that worked that I forgot about.
DJ Remy USA 3:31 PM - 24 March, 2016
Quote:
Dj Rem
Quote:

Try it

The file is called CSV and it does not contain the statistics this thread is requesting. Reading comprehension, sharpen it.

it does you should learn how to use Xcel I always laugh at you internet trolls that have no respect in how you address people.

Class get some

Respect learn some

At the OP if you export your playlist all of the data you want is there its up to your use the program to graph the data and create your own cross references within the data sets. Serato probably is not going to ever do this for us which is why I believe they gave the option to export the play history in that format.
SeriousCyrus 8:16 PM - 24 March, 2016
Ater reading this thread i had a quick look, but you can only export sessions one at a time, you can't seem to select "last year" and export every session, you have to go day by day, unless i'm mistaken.
monkeyfunk 7:50 PM - 26 March, 2016
Well that figures as an individual CSV needs to be kept separate from other CSV for comparison - but you're right, is there a batch export ?
phrode 10:43 AM - 1 December, 2018
Any news here?
Djelad00 3:54 AM - 10 April, 2019
I know this is an old thread, but I think I may be able to help..

I've previously written a few apps, including a Java API, to read in and process Serato session files (projects.ssldev.org). I should be able to write an app that will read in session files and gather play statistics.

Would anyone be interested in beta testing the app if I write it?
monkeyfunk 12:01 PM - 26 April, 2019
Yep!
DJ Rich - FL 5:17 PM - 27 April, 2019
I will help out
Djelad00 10:33 PM - 27 April, 2019
Great! I should have some functionality to test soon.. just working on adding a GUI now.

I’ll reach out soon.
Djelad00 6:37 AM - 13 May, 2019
Ok, here's the first release. Functionality is limited to only 200 session files and a couple basic stats (top 200 artists/songs). But I should be able to add more fairly quickly.

download the jar from here (must have JRE 8 installed; only tested on OSX):
gitlab.com

I've also added some screenshots and explanation on how to use it here:
projects.ssldev.org

any and all feedback is welcomed!
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:57 AM - 13 May, 2019
Props man, serato should be ashamed that a user has to make their own program to do what the software should already do
Djelad00 4:08 AM - 15 May, 2019
thanks! it is what it is :)
Toni Alatalo 6:06 PM - 21 October, 2019
@Djelad00

Are you planning the keep the tool closed source or maybe interested in having an open source thing?

I have a different idea for a history analysis tool that might try to write some day, so was searching for what is there. Your thing is only one that found (so far).

I often use Python for this sort of things, but could use Java too if it would be possible and make sense to reuse what you've done already. Is no problem for me to reimplement the reading of the files etc if you prefer to keep your solution closed. Just wondering during early planning, just got the idea today and don't know yet when would actually work on it.
Djelad00 4:03 AM - 22 October, 2019
@Toni, I don't mind opening it up. I just kept it closed while in beta mode. give me a day or so to clean up the repo a bit and I'll make it public...

fyi, I've already open sourced the portion of the code the decodes Serato play/crate/history data here:
gitlab.com

feel free to reach out if you have any questions
Djelad00 4:30 AM - 22 October, 2019
ok, the serato stats repo is now open (different URL than the jar download) and can be accessed here:
gitlab.com

please excuse any bad code :-)