DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

CDJ's or DDJ SX

Zach Alter 8:28 PM - 24 October, 2012
I love djaying and recently bought the novation twitch a few months ago. I work for a mobile entertainment company, and I want to make an investment on new gear so I can start working on the Djaying side. I want gear that will last and I can grow on and play on at parties and ultimately clubs. I am considering the CDJ 850's with a TTM 57SL mixer, or the DDJ SX. What are the differences between the two options. Thank you for your time.
DJ NoNseNse 8:54 PM - 24 October, 2012
Cdj850's with the TTM62 mixer
Zach Alter 9:02 PM - 24 October, 2012
What makes that considerable better than the DDJ SX? For an extra 3k, I want to know why they're worth the extra money.
DJDBAG 9:29 PM - 24 October, 2012
its all preference really, do you want the option to dj from just cds? usb? without ur computer, than get the cdj route, if you always gonna use your computer controller route is fine, its up to you really not a question of money,

me personally i like the cdj route or turntable route,
pdidy 10:33 PM - 24 October, 2012
Quote:
I want gear that will last and I can grow on and play on at parties and ultimately clubs.
If this is what you truly want then the DDJ SX is OUT because its not even out yet nor is proven to work well. Plus club use CDJs or turntables so the DDJ SX is out.
Greg4422 4:28 AM - 25 October, 2012
I think you should go with the DDJ-SX, and here's why...for now you're a starter DJ and a controller will give you everything you need to get started, at a fraction of the cost of professional CDJ's and Mixer set up. Since the DDJ-SX has a stand alone mixer...you can add CDJ's at a later date...when you made some bread doing parties...it's the best of both worlds.
DJDBAG 4:55 AM - 25 October, 2012
it makes no sense to use the ddj sx as a standalone mixer, way t o big and cumbersome for that plus u still need a sl box
Dj Nyce 1:40 PM - 27 October, 2012
Quote:
it makes no sense to use the ddj sx as a standalone mixer, way t o big and cumbersome for that plus u still need a sl box

amen. i don't even know why they push this as a feature. if i want a mixer i'll use a 62 or DJM-900 nexus.
dj-freestyle 6:38 PM - 27 October, 2012
They push it as a feature because when your on a mobile gig the stand alone mixer is a huge thing. I use it just about every weekend. Clients bring things to play or the venue or i need a song off my iphone or mp3 player.
pdidy 11:27 PM - 27 October, 2012
Quote:
They push it as a feature because when your on a mobile gig the stand alone mixer is a huge thing. I use it just about every weekend. Clients bring things to play or the venue or i need a song off my iphone or mp3 player.

naa, you got it confused.....my vci300 does that with its auxiliary input.....we're talk about using it with turntable or cd players like this farm8.staticflickr.com

Silly feature if you as me but i guess it geared toward the dj that cant afford a real mixer.
Dj Nyce 5:28 AM - 28 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

naa, you got it confused.....my vci300 does that with its auxiliary input.....we're talk about using it with turntable or cd players like this farm8.staticflickr.com

Silly feature if you as me but i guess it geared toward the dj that cant afford a real mixer.

yes like this. dunno why you would use this as a mixer with TT/CDJ's. i can see how it's useful for other things like an iPod tho. but it's only useful if you can use the iPod on one channel and a itch/DJ deck on another channel (like a 62). if it's all or nothing, then it's not usefull at all (to me anyways).
Evon 9:18 AM - 28 October, 2012
Cdjs and a nexus for sure.
dj-freestyle 3:47 PM - 28 October, 2012
you can use ipod and itch on the other deck so thats why its nice.
dj-freestyle 3:47 PM - 28 October, 2012
or serato dj on pioneer ddj
DJTowny 7:33 PM - 4 April, 2013
I have 1000's 1210's running through an Xone 42 with SL, but have recently bought the SX purely for the ease of setup and use for small gigs and parties etc. One thing that I have heard, and am hoping for, is that in the future you will be able to run timecode vinyl/cd straight into the SX and manipulate SL with that. At the moment we just have SL and SeratoDJ, however I am hoping the new Serato, whenever that is, will incorporate both, allowing for Vinyl/CD running with the SX controller to control everything. Just my opinions and thoughts for you to digest. However SX and Scratch are currently phenomenal and anyone looking into either will never look back. Happy Mixing :)
DJTowny 7:34 PM - 4 April, 2013
*a
Dj R. Driver 11:15 PM - 4 April, 2013
4 parties/small bar lounge gigs, id go with a controller

4 club work, you need to know how to use cdjs as most clubs prohibit the use of controllers.
now playing on cdjs without a serato box is a whole different animal than using a controller especially if you cannot beat match. but if you go the mixer/cdj route you will probably end up buying a serato box anyways.

IMHO, learn to spin on both.
DJTowny 6:31 PM - 30 April, 2013
Completely agree, if you can't beatmatch, LEARN TO first! Then buy whatever suits your needs.
dj cosmicsound 3:47 PM - 1 May, 2013
down in trinidad we have both players ,these guy go for the controllers because they cant buy cdj and mixer and a sl box,and also they never use cdj so they just buy the controllers and learn from there, i am investing in cdj ,i play with both no problem,they just have to learn....,then go professional.
mark3motley 6:32 PM - 19 June, 2013
Quote:

This is not true at all. You can definitely use 2 CDJ's with the DDJ-SX and have 2 channels for Serato DJ as well.The easiest way to set it up would be on the 2 outside channels by plugging them into the CD inputs on the back and setting the CH 3 and CH 4 line selectors on the front of the controller to CD

No SL box required... unless you want to use your CDJ's as midi controllers (900s or 2000s)

As for being too big? Not really unless you have short arms lmao
DJ DU 12:58 AM - 1 July, 2013
If this helps. Just went to meeting about the future of DJ controllers in LA. Pioneer will no longer make CDJ's after the CDJ 2000 nexus. They and Allen & Heath are betting the future on their own softwares, USB 3, and iPads. Saying in the next 3 years more and more headlining DJ will use controllers. After x-mas they have a slew of international DJs switching over as they start the push to change the industry standard with a huge marking campaign toward new controllers. This is fact if this helps controversy.
DJ DisGrace 1:06 AM - 1 July, 2013
Quote:
If this helps. Just went to meeting about the future of DJ controllers in LA. Pioneer will no longer make CDJ's after the CDJ 2000 nexus. They and Allen & Heath are betting the future on their own softwares, USB 3, and iPads. Saying in the next 3 years more and more headlining DJ will use controllers. After x-mas they have a slew of international DJs switching over as they start the push to change the industry standard with a huge marking campaign toward new controllers. This is fact if this helps controversy.

The resurrection of the turntable is in sight!
D.Brown that DJ 5:16 PM - 20 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Pioneer will no longer make CDJ's after the CDJ 2000 nexus. They and Allen & Heath are betting the future on their own softwares, USB 3, and iPads. Saying in the next 3 years more and more headlining DJ will use controllers. After x-mas they have a slew of international DJs switching over as they start the push to change the industry standard with a huge marking campaign toward new controllers.
D.Brown that DJ 6:02 PM - 20 July, 2014
Chiming in a few years later, it is safe to say the "Industry Standard" is definitely shifting in the direction of the Controller. It goes like this, the Turntable ( the Technic) is were it all started and was the only source for decades. Until about 2001 it was the Industry Standard! But because what it symbolizes, it will always be a "sexy" set up. It's like the "Jordan 1's" of the DJ world! You'll never be dissed for rockin' with pair of TT's. Even they are not Technics! The CDJ started emerging in the early 2000's and it was the same debate then. "CDJ's are for beginners", " you ain't a real DJ if you ain't using Turntables", and BLAH-BLAH-BLAH! EVOLUTION people! That is the key word. As time moves on everything changes, except the minds of the stubborn. The CDJ while still a very good option has been simplified! Technology has a load for the song manipulater and the sound projector to be combined. This is the Controller! It's everything you need you, and nothing you don't, to play music through software. Now if you are still using CD's, and you prefer flash drives over a computer than the CDJ is where you should be. I can't remember the last time I seen a DJ show up with a book of CD's! So if you are using software, why is it considered unprofessional to use the technology that was invented and designed for this output? I see more and more "DJ Vets" showing up to sets with controllers than ever before.
tstop 3:29 AM - 14 August, 2014
Yes, i can understand the money a lot of dj,s spent on their cdj setups but its just like filmmaking where people had a hard time accepting digital but eventually it had to happen. These things are just inevitable. Maybe theres no point in doing cd in the next five years or so. Everything is leading into these controllers sooner or later.
Im guessing clubs would definitely still stick to the cdjs for 4 years or more considering the investment though. So, would you think it is worth setting up a cdj nowadays for starters?
Trips3itch 10:01 PM - 3 May, 2016
I have cdj 1000 mk1 and a rane ttm 57sl which is now discontinued im thinking about downsizing to a ddjsx is this a good choice? Will.I.be able to do.more with the sx ?
Trips3itch 10:04 PM - 3 May, 2016
I.might trade two.cdjs and a rane ttm 57sl and akai.beatpad for the ddj sx is this.a good move with my rane mixer being discontinued ??
DJ KEV JONES 12:09 AM - 4 May, 2016
Keep what you have and get the ddjsx also.
pdidy 12:21 AM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
I.might trade two.cdjs and a rane ttm 57sl and akai.beatpad for the ddj sx is this.a good move with my rane mixer being discontinued ??

no
Quote:

yes
Trips3itch 12:44 AM - 4 May, 2016
Ok thanks I just find the pioneer setup I have isnt as responsive as the ddj sx or the ddj.sx2 would be and with my ttm 57sl being discontinued on newer mac software it just seems like my mixer is becoming obsoite .. and I.like that the mixer on the sx is a 4 channel to my 2 channel on the 57
ozfrombk 2:16 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

no
Quote:

yes

This is what I did. I have a main rig and a controller for quick mobile gigs. I have technic 1200's at home tho I would never give those up.