Serato DJ Lite / Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Lite / Intro software and controllers.

Serato DJ & Scratch Live

Leo Mann 4:36 PM - 16 October, 2012
I currently use SSL and I am thinking of getting the new pioneer DDJSX controller for Serato DJ software. Will I be able to use the same data base of SSL for Serato DJ or will I have to create a new data base and analyze all my music again?
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:53 AM - 17 October, 2012
You can use the same database however to use the sync / loops / slicer you will need to reanalyze your hole library to creat beat grids.
101pop 11:33 AM - 17 October, 2012
Can someone explain the fundamental differences between Serato DJ and SSL pls? I'm interested in the DDJ-SX controller but not 100% sure on the Serato DJ software as I'm more than happy with SSL using my SL3 box and Serato Video...but some of the clubs I dj in have crap mixers/cd decks...

Will it be able to control more than 2 decks? Can you run SSL and Serato DJ at the same time using seperate controllers? (doubt it but thought I'd ask!). Could you use the DDJ-SX with SSL as a dedicated HID controller (like a CDJ-2000)?

Thanks!
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:07 PM - 17 October, 2012
No ssl and serato dj are totally seperate and you would mot run them at same time. Yes the pioneer is a four deck controller but remember you have to give up one deck to use the mic as there on same channel.

Nope the pioneer will not work with ssl.

What are the differences we dont know as serato dj software has not been showed off or used by anyone yet. But going by what we do know it will do all that ssl does apart from dvs.

Just remeber this pipneer is big and might not fit in alot of dj boxes.
101pop 12:31 PM - 18 October, 2012
If Serato DJ IS the same as SSL but with no DVS then it may be a useful tool. I doubt the DDJ-SX is any bigger than a DJM800 with 2 CDJ2000s in terms of physical size though.

I'd like to hear the differences between Serato DJ and SSL (if any) from a Rane spokesman. Does strike me as potentially being a cut down version of SSL...Not keen on the idea of having SSL and DJ installed on my mac.

Would've been better as a dedicated controller...like a version of the Rane 68 mixer with CDJs...
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:37 PM - 18 October, 2012
What dj box has spear space for u to sit an extra djm800 and two 2000s lol. You work in some HUGE dj boxes lol.

Rane wont have a clue they just make hardware for ssl nothing todo with serato dj.

So untill someone who owns scratchlive buys the serato dj with pioneer no one can tell u whats different.
cutloose 2:36 AM - 19 October, 2012
Will turntables work as a controller for Serato DJ when paired with the Pioneer DDJ-SX?
Leo Mann 3:21 AM - 19 October, 2012
I got beat grids already from re-analyzing my library for ableton bridge. I guess i will be doing it again. Thanks for the info LJ
mr_wtrouble 2:40 PM - 19 October, 2012
G'day. Sorry for the noob question but here goes...I currently run two turntables into my sl3 box which is then wired to a 2 channel mixer and laptop.

Am I correct in thinking that the DDJ SX will replace the turntables, sl3 box and mixer?
i.e. plug DDJ SX into laptop and that's that?

Thanks
phatbob 2:44 PM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
G'day. Sorry for the noob question but here goes...I currently run two turntables into my sl3 box which is then wired to a 2 channel mixer and laptop.

Am I correct in thinking that the DDJ SX will replace the turntables, sl3 box and mixer?

Thanks

Yep, that's exactly it, just like Itch controllers do now. It's an all-in-one solution.
Leo Mann 5:03 PM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:

Thanks

I don't think so. What I was told, it is a whole different program. So you will have to install Serato DJ and re-analyze your music library for that program to use a compatible Serato DJ controller, and when you want to use your SL3 you would use SSL.
Leo Mann 5:05 PM - 19 October, 2012
Maybe i just misunderstood your question
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:06 PM - 19 October, 2012
what is the big deal with re-analyzing?? you dont need todo it but if you want to use beat grid loops and slicer and sync then yes you would need to reanalyze you hole library. and yes You would need to install serato dj software but apart from that its the same crates and all your cues and loops will show up fine.
pdidy 3:04 AM - 20 October, 2012
Quote:
Will turntables work as a controller for Serato DJ when paired with the Pioneer DDJ-SX?

no....but you can use a serato box an run ssl. the DDJ-SX will only work as a mixer
Leo Mann 7:45 PM - 22 October, 2012
Its not a big deal i guess. it just took awhile to do. I have a lot of music
Asu 5:36 PM - 30 October, 2012
To Simplify it my Brothers

Serato scratch Live = DVS + Rane Hardware

Serato DJ = approved controlers only + secondary midi mapping

you can however use the mixer portion of say a DDJ-SX for scratch live.Just plug in a Rane Box,2 CDJs or turntables and you're live.This will be useful if one DJ uses Scratch live and the other prefers Serato DJ.

Library can be shared between the two.cue points/Loops will show up the same.Rescan in Serato DJ to beatgrid if you wanna use sync/slicer and more.

The bridge is not available in serato DJ.however Serato video is and everything else in scratch Live.
Clapperz 5:52 AM - 1 November, 2012
As this can be used as a standalone mixer, c
ould i just plug my sl3 into it then just midi map the fx and cue points etc to what i want?

I guess ssl lack of midi out wouldnt help with the lights though. But i could still have a very portable solution.
Yannic 9:36 AM - 30 December, 2012
Is there anybody who has an idea why the Denon MC-6000 controller is not compatible with Serato DJ, or maybe has an idea if, or when, it will be (especially since the MC2000 is compatible with Serato DJ)? Is it also correct that the D MC6k is now fully compatible (including lights on the buttons) with Scratch Live (with use of little app on laptop)?
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:29 PM - 30 December, 2012
There are bodges to make the denon mc6000 sort of work with ssl but it aint great and ppl run traktor at same time as ssl to get the light to work very soddy!

Denon has never gone to serato amd paid for the licence to support the mc 3000/6000 in serato dj intro. So that is why there will be no upgrade to serato dj.

Who knows if denon will change there mind and pay serato to support them in dj intro with the serato dj upgrade. Have to ask denon.
Yannic 8:51 PM - 30 December, 2012
@LJ_Woolsey :

Thanks for your info! i used to work with the SSL4 and SL but indeed switched to Traktor because of the lack of full compatibility (lights, etc), although i like the Serato interface a lot more, it's lot more slick than Traktor.

Ok, i'll try to get some info on the Denon forum about this. I guess if Denon is not going to do an effort towards Serato, they will loose lot of marketshare to the Pioneer DDJ-SX icw Serato DJ.
BODYROC 3:37 AM - 3 January, 2013
Hey! I'm wondering if the DDj-Sx and Serato Dj would give me that famous Roll Out Dj Fx from SSL Hardware?
RICHIERICH702 5:52 AM - 16 May, 2013
Hello,,,On this new unit can you mic sample???Pioneer DDJSX DJ Controller for Serato DJ
TheRealDJGotti 5:15 AM - 29 May, 2013
I have a denon s1200 with the Denon X300 mixer. Is there a way i can use Serato DJ without having a rane box?
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:57 AM - 29 May, 2013
You can't use Serato DJ with that Denon Equipment and you can't use Serato DJ with any Rane Equipment.

Serato DJ only works with this equipment --> serato.com
TheRealDJGotti 1:26 PM - 29 May, 2013
What programs can i use with Denon ?
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:23 PM - 29 May, 2013
Serato ScratchLive with a Rane Sound Card SL-2 / 3 / 4 for a Rane -61 /62 /68.
Dj D.ONE 10:57 PM - 20 August, 2013
Make this work with SSL Box and i will buy it.
pdidy 5:26 PM - 22 August, 2013
Quote:
Make this work with SSL Box and i will buy it.

why ?
DJGAVPOP@YMAIL.COM 6:11 AM - 14 May, 2016
Hello pals, I have a little problem on my mac . Each time I open serato dj app on my mac it will restart and I don't understand this . It affects my gig each time am at work
Serato, Support
Marcus S 5:31 AM - 2 June, 2016
Hey there DJGAVPOP@YMAIL.COM,

Please open a help request with our support team with the 'Get Help from Serato' button on the DJ Intro discussion page, they'll be able to run through some troubleshooting steps with you.
DJGAVPOP@YMAIL.COM 10:35 AM - 2 June, 2016
Ok thank you marcus