Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Master Database to help new & current users

KMXE 10:52 AM - 19 September, 2004
I was just thinking (since i have the dillemma of deciding what laptop to buy just for Scratch Live!), would it be possible to have a master database of users who's systems work/dont work. This way, current users looking to upgrade can see what others have, new users can research and understand what would be good. im thinking you could
seperate databases as follows: 1) PC Desktop users, 2) Mac Desktop users 3) PC laptop users, 4) Mac laptop users. This way, if all im interested in is what PC laptops are working, i look at this database. Also, if this database could be accessed like Excel, where if you wanna compare, for example, all laptops with x CPU speed, then they could all be aligned so you can compare. Also, if a Serato moderator could list down the relevant specs that are important to the program. For example, if CPU speed, motherboard brand, RAM, etc etc are all important, then include these in some sort of "form" that could be filled out by current users. This is everyone contributes the same info, that are necessary. Basically, the more details of a specific computer that works/doesnt work that can be listed and that can be organised in a database, the more opportunity new & current users have to make decisions based on fact instead of "well, this seems to work with such and such". What would also be good in the forms would be to include how users use their Scratch Live, and what settings they have etc. For example, lets say i have USB buffer setting at the 5, and all i do is scratch all day and my specs are as follows (etc etc), what results do i get? what responses do i get? Does the screen skip? does audio drop? does it freeze? so basically, people can compare what results they get with similar people on similar settings. I mean, some people say that they dont have a single problem, but maybe all they do is mix.
SpinThis! 11:47 PM - 19 September, 2004
from all i've read on this forum, any laptop around the 1 ghz mark should be able to handle scratch live without problems. pay a little more, get a little better performance at lower buffer settings. for an all-around decent machine you might want to consider a 1.5 to 2 ghz machine.

if you're worried about the best performance and small buffer sizes, buy the fastest laptop you can afford. it sounds like you don't have lots of cash to burn so consider what else you want to do with it besides scratch live (ie edit videos, produce music, photoshop images, etc).
KMXE 3:51 AM - 20 September, 2004
its not really the cash - if anything i might want to use it as a portable recording studio, but for now its really just for Scratch Live - ive got another PC to run my sequencer stuff. i'll start looking at 1.5to 2ghz machines for now....