Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Pioneer DDJ-SX compatability with SSL!!

Chris Mac 11:10 AM - 4 October, 2012
would it be too much to ask to have the pioneer DDJ-SX to be compatible with SSL as well if you own the SSL hardware?

like native midi mapping for the controller? I own SL4 and am seriously on the verge of switching to traktor even though i actually hate the software because of how well all of their products work with each other! I want to buy the DDJ-SX and use it with Scratch live for functionality like ableton bridge.

Please?! this would be awesome!!
DJ Unique 10:49 PM - 4 October, 2012
+1
BERTO 5:05 AM - 5 October, 2012
Wouldnt midi out enable this? So midimout for ssl
Chris Mac 7:25 PM - 5 October, 2012
would need midi in for platter/timecode control but yeah other wise it would work.. and the effects maybe too lol
djgavh 2:22 AM - 6 October, 2012
I'm with you on this Chris Mac. I've been a SSL user from the start and been waiting for years on a decent controller that doesn't look like it's been bought from a toy shop..! I was gutted when I found out that the DDJ-S1 wasn't even mappable. I almost wet myself when I saw the DDJ-SX. I don't see how they can release a product like this and not make it fully compatible with with SSL.
Dj4dubb 6:11 PM - 6 October, 2012
Quote:
would it be too much to ask to have the pioneer DDJ-SX to be compatible with SSL as well if you own the SSL hardware?

like native midi mapping for the controller? I own SL4 and am seriously on the verge of switching to traktor even though i actually hate the software because of how well all of their products work with each other! I want to buy the DDJ-SX and use it with Scratch live for functionality like ableton bridge.

Please?! this would be awesome!!

Traktor really is a great program, don't hate... learn it... I like using both programs and respect both companies for what they do.

I want that new Pioneer too... In fact, I know i'm going to get it before the end of the year... I got to have it.

Having it mapped with SSL will give people the option of packing lighter when they feel... With those CDJ like decks, touch sensitive pads, and the on jog wave indicator it's looking like the ULTIMATE DJ controller... It should be simple to map in Ableton too.
VideoDJQ 7:59 PM - 15 October, 2012
If it's possible to use SSL with the Denon MC6000 why can't someone map this as well?
Dj4dubb 8:24 PM - 15 October, 2012
There is thread on it
VideoDJQ 8:01 AM - 16 October, 2012
There's a thread on compatibility with the DDJ-SX other than this one? Can you post a link?
Chris Mac 8:05 AM - 16 October, 2012
no.. theres a thread on mapping the dennon to SSL.. because thats where that post belongs! lol.. DDJ-SX compatability is different to whatever dennon controller you have because its actually a hardware mixer and requires either midi feedback or HID compliance to route audio and efffect thru the built in hardware mixer.
Dj4dubb 12:07 PM - 16 October, 2012
The Denon is a hardware mixer as well... I'm sure that new pioneer will send out midi notes outside of Serato DJ
Chris Mac 12:11 PM - 16 October, 2012
Quote:
The Denon is a hardware mixer as well... I'm sure that new pioneer will send out midi notes outside of Serato DJ

Of course it will but its no where near the same as being directly compatible with ssl
Chris Mac 12:13 PM - 16 October, 2012
And ssl currently forces you to use a cdj or turntable for platter control, only enabling a few select devices to be able to midi control the platter of ssl and the effects package from serato DJ would need to be incorporated in to ssl amongst other features that make it worthwhile
VideoDJQ 6:19 PM - 16 October, 2012
Chris maybe you misunderstood my post then? I was asking if it was possible to map the DDJ-SX to SSL only using the the Denon as a comparison. My question was not about the Denon.
AristotleDJ 8:17 AM - 6 November, 2012
++1
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:40 AM - 8 November, 2012
Depends what midi is sent from the jog. The denon uses a denon hack from the 4500. This also works for the vci-380.
VideoDJQ 12:55 AM - 11 December, 2012
OK just curious.. has anyone in here seen/noticed a slight stutter in the crossfader when it's mapped to ME? I didn't notice this when I first mapped it but not I do. I'm just wondering if it was there all the time or if it's something new :-(

I deleting the mapping and then remapping it and I still get the stutter so I'm so confused right now.

Thoughts?
dj point 3:58 PM - 13 February, 2013
+1
frankie Z. 11:45 PM - 17 February, 2013
There will never be support for Pioneer DDJ-SX to work with SSL. Serato and Rane have an exclusive agreement and SSL only works with Rane products. This is the whole reason Serato even bothered to create Itch and now DJ. The good news is that Serato DJ is a lot closer to SSL than anything before it.
Jorge Sotomayor 5:51 AM - 20 March, 2013
Guys can u use the analog mixer on ddj sx with the sl4 and the cdjs to play serato scratch live?

Thank you.
forty 6:27 AM - 20 March, 2013
Yes.
Jorge Sotomayor 7:45 AM - 20 March, 2013
Quote:
Yes.

Thank you.
Mr Wilks 12:29 PM - 20 March, 2013
Quote:
There will never be support for Pioneer DDJ-SX to work with SSL. Serato and Rane have an exclusive agreement and SSL only works with Rane products. This is the whole reason Serato even bothered to create Itch and now DJ. The good news is that Serato DJ is a lot closer to SSL than anything before it.

Unfortunately this is false.

Serato will work with anyone that wants to build HID support into their products as a third part controller.

serato.com

The Pioneer CDJ-2000 is a perfect example of this. Also, I used to have Scratch Live control through my Denon HC-4500 many years ago.

As the OP said, with a Scratch Live box, it would be amazing. I've recently asked Novation to consider turning Twitch into the ultimate Video Scratch Live controller (with light up cue points and shift modifiers).

Hope Pioneer (and other manufacturers) work more closely with Serato to bring this to more of their products.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:41 PM - 20 March, 2013
But sdj does more than ssl so what would be the point? Unless you need the bridge!
Mr Wilks 1:22 PM - 20 March, 2013
For me (as a Bridge user) having the Twitch control SSL would be perfect next to the APC40, as the platters come from either 1210's or CDJ 1000's and I can eventually do away with the Dicers. I'm EDM so the touch strips would be unused as platters. The Twitch is compact and goes over one turntable on a stand and the APC over the other.

I don't own the SX (yet) but think more manufacturers should look towards making their products cross-platform for the people who use both. A HID native map wouldn't take more than a day to implement, then again, I'm not understanding the mechanics of adding HID support so I could be more complicated.

Out of both Itch and Scratch, I do prefer SL over Itch due to the stupid 'jump-to-loop-once-activated' so called "feature". That killed loops for me as the keyboard shortcuts just annoyed me. Have they sorted this in SDJ with the reloop/loop selector? Hope so.

I think it could all come down to cost. Working to integrate a controller to SL would maybe rack up a licence fee from Serato for the Integration tools as it's a closed ecosystem? Just speculation on my part. I can't see them giving support away for free or every MIDI capable Itch controller would have SL integration at no extra cost, as they give Traktor maps away with Twitch with an overlay card in the box.

Or maybe that's what's taking so long to add MIDI out to SL? The fact companies have paid for support for SL and would be narked off if they give away the tools for us all to do it?
Is Serato waiting for an exclusive time period to elapse or a model to be discontinued and support killed before they can open up full MIDI mapping for us all?

Or am I just thinking too much? Haha!
mnash 6:51 PM - 20 July, 2013
I love Serato DJ. It's my favourite DJ solution I've ever used.

The issue is it's not a club standard, SSL is. And while walking into a club and jacking in a DDJ SX is possible, it is also messy or sometimes might now work out.

So I might find myself in situations where my only option is to DJ with SSL. That's fine, but I need an opportunity to practice with it. Make sure I'm extremely well versed in it, so I don't make a fool of myself.

Currently, even with a DDJ SX, that still means I need to purchase an entirely new set-up just to do this, which isn't going to happen. So please, make DDJ SX compatible with SSL so we're always prepared for when we play out.
frankie Z. 6:59 PM - 20 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately this is false.

Serato will work with anyone that wants to build HID support into their products as a third part controller.

serato.com

The Pioneer CDJ-2000 is a perfect example of this. Also, I used to have Scratch Live control through my Denon HC-4500 many years ago.

You still need an SL box, it's not natively supported. Serato and Rane have an exclusive agreement for Scratch Live. Until that legal agreement changes, you will always need some type of hardware provided by Rane to use SSL.