DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato DJ

serkan 12:59 AM - 4 October, 2012
Quote:

Will The Bridge be available for Serato DJ?
The Bridge is currently not available in Serato DJ.

from serato.com

Is this going to be the same as with ITCH when The Bridge was promised but never saw the light of the day?

IMO Serato now has two options:
1. Apologize for making promises with The Bridge for ITCH.
2. Give a time frame for The Bridge in Serato DJ.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:16 AM - 4 October, 2012
Hey serkan,

It is what it is. The Bridge is not currently available in Serato DJ. That's all the information we have to share and I wouldn't read between the lines too much.

I understand it's frustrating, there's just not much else I can say sorry.

Sam.
serkan 5:02 AM - 4 October, 2012
It makes sense that you can't say anything about future development. Fair enough, sir.

But what about the promise that was made with ITCH? Just deleting the "coming soon" in the FAQ's was not an elegant way and now with ITCH being stopped an official statement woul've been nice. Just saying.

Anyway. Thanks that you at least have replied.
admiraljonesy 7:07 AM - 4 October, 2012
+1, Complete Agreement, serkan.

Also, www.ableton.com still has some lingering info about Bridge ITCH.

"2011 has been a busy year for both Ableton and Serato. Due to other ongoing product development we aren't able to release The Bridge for Itch in 2011."

They removed the info about The Bridge for ITCH coming out from the Ableton product page though. Just letting you know Samuel.
adb3 12:07 AM - 5 October, 2012
I am guessing Serato DJ will eventually end up replacing SSL
(05Oct12 - just so I can say I called it)
sgw 6:39 AM - 5 October, 2012
Ok, I've made several posts now on this debacle. I bought the NS7 based on the advertising for the Bridge. Serato's way of handling it has been to quietly bury any reference to it and pretend it was never advertised.

In addition, there has been no attempt by Serato to mitigate this with any kind of customer relations. No admission of what has happened, no explanation or any attempt to acknowledge the impact this may have had on customers. Hmm - like say someone who bought an NS7 to use almost exclusively with Ableton and is still waiting to be able to do so years later.

With all of this in mind, I'm at this point taking offence to the tone of a message from a Serato employee that starts with "It is what it is"! As far as I was concerned, Serato's handling of this so far has been the equivalent of the company saying a big "F*** You" to any customer attempting to hold them to their Bridge promise, but to actually say "It is what it is" is pretty much saying it outright!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:42 PM - 8 October, 2012
I'm sorry that my comment may have sounded a little harsh. It was merely to say that "The Bridge not being available currently in Serato DJ," was all I could say, and not to read between the lines too much.

I wish I could share more on the subject but I can't unfortunately. I can say that we do plan to develop some really great new features and enhance what we already have with Serato DJ. Yes, it might not have The Bridge but I wouldn't be too mad with what you will be getting in the first release and the releases to follow.

Sam.
serkan 1:58 AM - 9 October, 2012
I'm not supposed to read between the lines? This sucks :)
DJPHILLIE04 4:07 AM - 9 October, 2012
Well this answered my question. The future only knows though.
Brian J 6:59 PM - 10 October, 2012
Quote:
I'm sorry that my comment may have sounded a little harsh. It was merely to say that "The Bridge not being available currently in Serato DJ," was all I could say, and not to read between the lines too much.

I wish I could share more on the subject but I can't unfortunately. I can say that we do plan to develop some really great new features and enhance what we already have with Serato DJ. Yes, it might not have The Bridge but I wouldn't be too mad with what you will be getting in the first release and the releases to follow.

Sam.

Sam,

i beg you to reconsider your statement and be reasonable here.. People spent a good chunk of their money ON SERATO'S PROMISE that the bridge will come to itch. Matter of fact i did buy an APC 40 because of that promise.. Now for me few hundreds is no biggie(plus i enjoy live as it is).. But a few of the members of this forums bought top of the line controllers based on YOUR statement that the bridge for itch WILL be available. If you guys were in the US you could easily be sued for false advertisement. Now, please.. don't give us the "not available at the moment" thing.. IS IT COMING, YES OR NO? That simple. We are not asking when or how and we know you can't talk about future development of Serato DJ. Fair enough. But we deserve to know what is going on with the bridge! This is a very unfair situation to all of all the current customers and Serato's management should take this issue very seriously, responding with an official statement! It's unethical and not very professional if you ask me.. You are such a great company with a lot of talented people.. Talk to ableton's people and do the right thing!

Sincerely,

Brian J.
admiraljonesy 10:57 PM - 10 October, 2012
Clap, Clap, Brian.

1+
Code:E 6:47 AM - 11 October, 2012
Quote:

Sam.

So what your telling us is your putting money into developing other products. Why can't you just come out and say (and no need to say why) we are making a direction change. Some people will not be happy, but its a choice we are making to bring you the best product we can. Instead you avoid giving any sense of closer on the topic like it will be the end of your company Sam.

It feels like your doing to the bridge what you did with VSL. Why you stopped developing it and moved your focus to other projects , is not our business your company and we agree or disagree with those decision's via our purchase's. If you want to leave bitter tastes in you customer base's mouth sure ignore our request for closer, let us think that the bridge for Serato DJ could be a thing (since Itch is done). Or confront you intelligent customers. confirm prosperity's change, deal with couple of people you might temporally loose to other systems and get them back with your next product offing, before the distaste your name brings up so much and they are gone forever.
serkan 7:37 PM - 11 October, 2012
+1 Brian J
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:22 PM - 11 October, 2012
Quote:
Why can't you just come out and say (and no need to say why) we are making a direction change.

I can't say this because I simply don't know sorry. Any messaging is also aligned with Ableton so I can't just go speculating about these things unfortunately. At this stage, the statement both companies are officially giving in regards to The Bridge is that it's not currently available for Serato DJ.
Brian J 2:32 AM - 12 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Why can't you just come out and say (and no need to say why) we are making a direction change.

I can't say this because I simply don't know sorry. Any messaging is also aligned with Ableton

Sam,

If you don't know it's ok, i understand. So, please, get somebody in here who does know the answer! We're not 5 years old kids and you can just blow us off like that over and over again.. "Sorry don't know" or "is not available at the moment" is not gonna cut it this time.
Brian J 6:04 PM - 12 October, 2012
I think i got it.. It took me sometime to figure it out but i can see clear now.. This why i think the bridge is not coming(at least in the foreseeable future) to Serato DJ:

Sounds like(from Sam's quotes on another thread:) that Serato DJ is and will be for at least a couple more years a 32bit app:

"Serato DJ will not be a 64bit application"

"It's a huge architectural change to the software and would require a lot more work. Basically we want to deliver Serato DJ and the new features and performance to everyone as quickly as we can. Unfortunately it would push this project out considerably to do this"

Now Ableton Live 8.3 is a 64 bit app and so will be the upcoming V9. That easy fellas! A big nono right there.. No way around this! Period. End of the story. Finito! Nada!
Don't Believe me here is a statement from ableton's website:

"When using the 64-bit version of Live, it is not possible to use Serato Scratch Live for real-time control of your Ableton Live Set. Sets cannot be loaded or synced to a deck in Scratch Live, and Live’s clips and tracks will not appear in Scratch Live"

So Sam, why was so difficult to say:

" From 8.4 onward, Ableton will be a 64bit application. We have no plan in the near future to update Serato DJ to 64 bit. We're sorry for any inconvenience we caused from our previous statement(s)."

We can finally put this thread to rest.. Thank God!
Code:E 6:45 PM - 12 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can't say this because I simply don't know sorry. Any messaging is also aligned with Ableton

Sam,

If you don't know it's ok, i understand. So, please, get somebody in here who does know the answer! We're not 5 years old kids and you can just blow us off like that over and over again.. "Sorry don't know" or "is not available at the moment" is not gonna cut it this time.

One problem with your question Brian. My understanding is Sam is about has hi up the chain you can get with serato. I could be wrong, but I thought he is the CEO. Its great to know the CEO is talking to customers but, we are not getting thew answers we want and cant expect anyone higher up the chain to deliver them cause there is no one higher.
admiraljonesy 7:01 PM - 12 October, 2012
Quote:
We can finally put this thread to rest.. Thank God!

Well, that's as much proof as I need. Time to return my Serato gear.
Brian J 7:22 PM - 12 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sam,

One problem with your question Brian. My understanding is Sam is about has hi up the chain you can get with serato. I could be wrong, but I thought he is the CEO. Its great to know the CEO is talking to customers but, we are not getting thew answers we want and cant expect anyone higher up the chain to deliver them cause there is no one higher.

Hi,

there are two Sam I believe.. Big Sam which is the CEO and the Sam that is talking to people in the forums. I might be wrong on which is which, but I believe that in this case is is not big Sam.. I mean no disrespect with my post but I got REALLY frustrated with somewhat vague answers about the bridge! I decided to get to the bottom of this and find out what's really going on. For thebridge to work Serato DJ need to be a 64bit app, which is not(and won't be anytime soon either)! This is as much proof as we can get!
nik39 7:58 PM - 12 October, 2012
Samuel S is not Sam Gribben. Latter is the CEO of Serato.