DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

SL4 equipped DJM900

blackavenger 9:54 PM - 27 September, 2012
Has anyone seen what this guy has done w' the Rane SL4 & DJM-900?

It's pretty badass!!

I think I may save up and get this done.....

Watchwww.youtube.com
FunkyRob 12:52 AM - 28 September, 2012
very cool, but I would have saved a few hundred and get a sixty eight if I had that kind of money to throw around.

he would have been assed out if it didn't work.

Still, very cool though.
housekeys 2:23 AM - 28 September, 2012
The djm 900 blows the 68 out of the water, no comparison between the both of them other than the fact they are both 4 channel mixers.

With that being said, I don't see the necessity of installing the sl4 into the mixer. I don't think it's that tedious to connect it to the mixer. But I guess if you only and strictly use serato it might be worth it to go that route.
VJ Justin Allen 2:29 AM - 28 September, 2012
I wish Pioneer, Serato and Traktor would make that a reality :)
blackavenger 2:33 AM - 28 September, 2012
Quote:
The djm 900 blows the 68 out of the water, no comparison between the both of them other than the fact they are both 4 channel mixers.

Well, there is the issue of Sound Quality comparisons...from what I've heard, the 68 blows the 900 away. But still, you are correct, the 900 easily blows away the 68 as far as effects are concerned!

Quote:
With that being said, I don't see the necessity of installing the sl4 into the mixer. I don't think it's that tedious to connect it to the mixer. But I guess if you only and strictly use serato it might be worth it to go that route.

You see, if you went this route, you would be able to use the the same 2 turntables to control both ScratchLIVE & Traktor Scratch. At least that's what I got from it.

Am I wrong in this assumption?
housekeys 2:41 AM - 28 September, 2012
@blackavenger, to tell you the truth I didn't watch the video, haha, I'll watch it soon (when I'm not working).

Did he remove the original sound card? Or does he have BOTH sound cards installed in the mixer? If its the latter, then that's pretty cool. I figured he had installed the sl4 and took out the original sound card, therefore he's unable to use the mixer as a standalone mixer (with out a laptop with cdj's) or with traktor.

Also, is he had able to update the mixer when new firmwares come out?
blackavenger 2:46 AM - 28 September, 2012
^ I'm pretty sure he installed the SL4 alongside the mixer's internal Soundcard. ^
blackavenger 2:49 AM - 28 September, 2012
Quote:
Also, is he had able to update the mixer when new firmwares come out?

The way it sounds when he explains it, the 900 is untouched except for the fact that it now has an SL4 inside of it as well. You should definitely watch the video. I hope this works like I think it does in my head, so to speak...hahaha!
blackavenger 2:52 AM - 28 September, 2012
He has another video where he installs an SL3 inside of the DJM800. Though, I don't see it having the advantages that having an SL4 inside the 900 has.

Regardless, you can check that video here:

Watchwww.youtube.com
intensify 1:06 AM - 29 September, 2012
is there any tutorials/diagrams for this? i want to try this out
the_black_one 1:10 AM - 29 September, 2012
home brew mods... no diagrams....
DJ Pimp 1:49 AM - 29 September, 2012
insane!
great job!!
djchrischip 3:09 AM - 30 September, 2012
I think this is an awesome mod and very much would do this, and install an innofader on it as well... perhaps (if the sl3 comes with 3 decks and an aux output) I would use than instead of the sl4
Discobee 10:43 AM - 30 September, 2012
This is like the Pioneer fanboys dream right here!! I would totally do this to my DJM800!