DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

First DJ Event (Nervous!)

Optimist 8:31 AM - 27 September, 2012
Ok so I'm 16 and ive been DJing for just under a year now. I am however a DJ virgin in the sense that I have never DJed outside of my bedroom (although I have recorded a fair few mixes, and the feedback is always good.)
Just the other day I heard about an underground rave which is happening in my local area, it's pretty big and I asked the guy organising it for slot and he said I could have one! I'm now totally hyped for it, but really nervous at the same time, I've been told who else is Djing that night and it sounds like Ive got very high expectations to live up to as these DJs are really really good.
The chances are I'll be spinning drum & bass on the night, I'm comfortable with that, it's my 'speciality' but I have a few concerns as to what the rig will be like. Apparently all the Djs are bringing their own tables, but mine are sometimes a bit faulty, plus I would have to take my brothers laptop (on which the DJ software is extremely tempormental) so it is very likely that the music could just cut out or start jumping or something. Thats my first problem...
Also, as I am a 'DJ virgin' I am worried that the crowd may not like my music, or that I might mess up, bearing in mind theres a huge PA system there, EVERYONE would be able to hear it! *Gulp*
Anyway, any feedback/help would be great, peace and love
Dj Knockout101 8:57 AM - 27 September, 2012
Personally sounds to me that you are not ready for the gig. From experience any gig that I have questioned myself on, I was not ready for it. Granted that your equipment is not up to par. With that a major issue you could possible ruin your name. However you accepted the gig so declining it could produce the same result.
Optimist 9:03 AM - 27 September, 2012
Quote:
Personally sounds to me that you are not ready for the gig. From experience any gig that I have questioned myself on, I was not ready for it. Granted that your equipment is not up to par. With that a major issue you could possible ruin your name. However you accepted the gig so declining it could produce the same result.

i am ready, for sure. plus one of my friends who is at the gig also has equipment which is on the same standard as mine. the thing is, i always get nervous in front of people, so i'll let the music do the talking, but my only worry is because its my first gig, once im comfortable im sure id love it
pdidy 11:17 AM - 27 September, 2012
Quote:
the Djs are bringing their own tables, but mine are sometimes a bit faulty,

reason # 1 why you are not ready.

Quote:
I would have to take my brothers laptop (on which the DJ software is extremely temperamental) so it is very likely that the music could just cut out or start jumping or something.

reason # 2 why you are not ready.

Professional djs DO NOT preform under these circumstances ! Key word being "professional".
Papa Midnight 12:14 PM - 27 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
the Djs are bringing their own tables, but mine are sometimes a bit faulty,

reason # 1 why you are not ready.

Quote:
I would have to take my brothers laptop (on which the DJ software is extremely temperamental) so it is very likely that the music could just cut out or start jumping or something.

reason # 2 why you are not ready.

Professional djs DO NOT preform under these circumstances ! Key word being "professional".

Eh...

Quote:
Ok so I'm 16 and ive been DJing for just under a year now. I am however a DJ virgin in the sense that I have never DJed outside of my bedroom (although I have recorded a fair few mixes, and the feedback is always good.)

Uh huh...

Quote:
Just the other day I heard about an underground rave which is happening in my local area, it's pretty big and I asked the guy organising it for slot and he said I could have one! I'm now totally hyped for it, but really nervous at the same time, I've been told who else is Djing that night and it sounds like Ive got very high expectations to live up to as these DJs are really really good.

Yup. That's it.

I'm willing to bet that he's doing the event for free.
Papa Midnight 12:17 PM - 27 September, 2012
Let me perfectly clear about what I am saying: You are not ready for a crowd yet. Nervousness is not uncommon. But from everything you described, you are most definitely not ready yet for this kind of event (especially since it sounds like the promoter is taking you for one hell of a ride).
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:49 PM - 27 September, 2012
MexiKanMan 2:52 PM - 27 September, 2012
Is this one of those posts where the ORIGINATOR types in all these reasons he/she shouldn't take the job....and then other EXPERIENCED DJs echo how he/she shouldn't take the gig. And then the ORIGINATOR, comes back with "it's not so bad" retort, eventually talking himself/herself into doing the job?

Although your name is "OPTIMIST", not all situations are ideal. You need to train under someone. You need to assist and work you way up to performing 10-15 mixes, under your mentor and then think about doing sets. All this said, you acquire gear all this time and once your confident you have not only the experience but also the equipment necessary, then you accept spots.

So, what will it be....are you going to listen or just find a way to be "optimistic" and take the spot anyway? Regardless, good luck because we both already know you're taking the "job."
DJ DisGrace 2:58 PM - 27 September, 2012
Quote:
You need to train under someone. You need to assist and work you way up to performing 10-15 mixes, under your mentor and then think about doing sets

+1

Tag along with an experienced dj that will let you drop a 15-20 min set on working gear, on a big PA. If anything goes wrong he is right there to fix it, and takes the pressure of you being in the spotlight even though you aren't quite ready. Do this enough times and you will be comfortable with booking your own set time at a party. for money.
Papa Midnight 4:18 PM - 27 September, 2012
Quote:
If anything goes wrong he is right there to fix it, and takes the pressure of you being in the spotlight even though you aren't quite ready.

Be very careful with this one. It's easily possible to become complacent or even reliant on that DJ to help you out in a pinch; and then fall into that trap when you're out there on your own.
str8nger 4:43 PM - 27 September, 2012
Record it on video I want to see
DJ DisGrace 4:59 PM - 27 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
If anything goes wrong he is right there to fix it, and takes the pressure of you being in the spotlight even though you aren't quite ready.

Be very careful with this one. It's easily possible to become complacent or even reliant on that DJ to help you out in a pinch; and then fall into that trap when you're out there on your own.

well yes, but you need to watch how he fixes it so next time you can do it on your own... gotta start somewhere
Aden 5:16 PM - 27 September, 2012
I honestly don't think you're ready either. I understand why you want to take the gig but if your gear fails while you're playing it could be embarrassing and people will be harsh on you as you're expected to be a professional.

Hopefully it's a free event.

Good luck!
Papa Midnight 5:27 PM - 27 September, 2012
Quote:
I honestly don't think you're ready either. I understand why you want to take the gig but if your gear fails while you're playing it could be embarrassing and people will be harsh on you as you're expected to be a professional.

Good luck!

Even Tiesto has had CDJ's fail on him.
Watchwww.youtube.com
Aden 5:31 PM - 27 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!

Watchwww.youtube.com

Exactly! Do you want to be like Tiesto? Didn't think so...lol
Mighty Dragon Sounds 5:31 PM - 27 September, 2012
I started at 15/16..... but it wasnt until I was 18 to even had enough music to do a small house party gig.... (MP3s and Napster was still just emerging)

I must say my first gig was pretty nice since I was so used to just mixing the same things I've been practicing over and over again for the past two years. lmao
str8nger 5:33 PM - 27 September, 2012
If you can't swim in the deep with the sharks you will drown. Just sayin
Mighty Dragon Sounds 5:35 PM - 27 September, 2012
Quote:
If you can't swim in the deep with the sharks you will drown. Just sayin

lol.... Go easy, the young man is 16...
latindj 6:00 PM - 27 September, 2012
exactly, he is 16 and needs to start somewhere. don't worry about ruining your name, you are NOBODY right now (and that's not an insult). now is the time to fuck up, have things go wrong and learn how to deal with them. if you think you can deal with them and believe you have the skills to actually belong in the dj booth, then by all means take your shot. just be ready to take your lumps too if it comes down to that. but again, you are 16. plenty of time to learn and recover...and if things go well, I guarantee you will be hooked for life! good luck...
latindj 6:01 PM - 27 September, 2012
oh and the nervousness goes away with a couple of shots...too bad you are only 16!
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:09 PM - 27 September, 2012
Theyre all gonna laugh at you!!!!!!
Mighty Dragon Sounds 6:10 PM - 27 September, 2012
Quote:

I'm laughing my ass of right now after you said that.
Papa Midnight 6:34 PM - 27 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!

Watchwww.youtube.com

Exactly! Do you want to be like Tiesto? Didn't think so...lol

I don't know... uploads.dancingastronaut.com
DJDynasty 6:38 PM - 27 September, 2012
I started DJing parties when I was 15, I distictly remember doing some sweet 16 parties when I wasn't even 16 myself. If you feel your ready then go for it.
I remember feelling nervous & excited by just a few people hanging out in my room when djing.
I still get that same nervous excitement now as I am driving in to my regular club some 30 years later.
Honestly for me these are normal feelings especially if you are passionate about DJing.
I would feel worse if I wasnt nervous or excited anymore.
Optimist 8:22 AM - 28 September, 2012
Quote:

woah guys guys chill out a bit!
im 16 years of age, i cant afford CDJ2000's and huge PA systems, i cant get into clubs to get practise...

The point is i want to get a taste of what its like when I'm young and learn from any mistakes I make, it's an underground rave, not a festival or something, the crowd will be 100 people max!
I'd love to know how you guys started off, bearing in mind Im completely self taugh and there is no DJ / music history in my ancestory, and I know very few people who DJ also.
I appreciate what your saying, I'm probably not completely ready, but then even if I wait til im 18/19 to do my first gig theres nothing stopping me from being nervous and screwing up is there?!
hamplifier 8:45 AM - 28 September, 2012
bloody hell so much haterade on this forum, give the kid a chance,i taught myself how to dj,only been going for a year and a bit but i learnt a heap from this forum alone to go from thinking im awesome just being able to beatmatch and mix songs, to phasing and then learning to mix in key and then throwing a few other tricks in aswell to make some decent sets, ok i only do weddings and house parties etc but ive done a few crowds of 200+ and had a heap of compliments from them all
if you think your ready and can do it then go for it, the first time is allways hard and yes you WILL make mistakes but its all part of the game, no one is perfect (not even bezzle!)and you WILL get over it and learn from every experience and become stronger and more capable for the next gig

everyone has to start somewhere
Optimist 8:49 AM - 28 September, 2012
Quote:
bloody hell so much haterade on this forum, give the kid a chance,i taught myself how to dj,only been going for a year and a bit but i learnt a heap from this forum alone to go from thinking im awesome just being able to beatmatch and mix songs, to phasing and then learning to mix in key and then throwing a few other tricks in aswell to make some decent sets, ok i only do weddings and house parties etc but ive done a few crowds of 200+ and had a heap of compliments from them all
if you think your ready and can do it then go for it, the first time is allways hard and yes you WILL make mistakes but its all part of the game, no one is perfect (not even bezzle!)and you WILL get over it and learn from every experience and become stronger and more capable for the next gig

thankyou! finally some genuine feedback, apparently im not ready unless im perfoming with Tiesto to crowds of +40000 with flawless mixing, cheers man! ive been practising as much as possible recently
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:05 AM - 28 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

thankyou! finally some genuine feedback , apparently im not ready unless im perfoming with Tiesto to crowds of +40000 with flawless mixing, cheers man! ive been practising as much as possible recently

Man, I was riding with you until you said this ^^ BS ^^. So what's good? You don't think those cats gave you "Genuine" feedback, or feedback you wanted to "HEAR"?

GTFOOHWTBS...

I would normally say, get in where you fit it. You're 16, you've only been mixing for a YEAR, and this would be a good way to get SOME exposure, be it bad or good...

If you have sloppy equipment, and it FAILS, this will teach you to get GOOD *ISH.

If you have sloppy mixes and they FAIL, this will teach you to PRACTICE more...

Do you think your mixes are "Perfect" , or just "Good Enough"?

Regardless, you're 16, and only been DJ'ing for a year so you CAN'T be any good, real talk...

So TRUST AND BELIEVE, the advice the cats are giving you aren't on some hater sh*t, and to tell you the truth, they'd clown you MORE if you were like Tiesto...

I did they whole "DJ Apprentice" thing until I could be put on, if you have nobody to show you, then I suggest you submit some mixes HERE, and let them release the Hounds...

If you can survive a review here, then you can survive anywhere...

Until then, clean the similac from behind ya ears....
Mighty Dragon Sounds 11:28 AM - 28 September, 2012
The love in the forum is just so genuine..... lmao!

But nah seriously, learn to take on ALOT of criticism from early. Trust me, once you get to where you are good and at least a local celebrity..... It no longer becomes mean criticism.... It just becomes hatred...... So enjoy the mean talk for now. Because when it comes to hate talk and you can't take it, then you should find another calling.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:11 PM - 28 September, 2012
Quote:
no one is perfect (not even bezzle)

Blasphemy!!!
Nicky Blunt 3:14 PM - 28 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

hahaha anyone else read that in Carries (the sissy spacek movie) Moms Voice?
latindj 3:51 PM - 28 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

thankyou! finally some genuine feedback , apparently im not ready unless im perfoming with Tiesto to crowds of +40000 with flawless mixing, cheers man! ive been practising as much as possible recently

Man, I was riding with you until you said this ^^ BS ^^. So what's good? You don't think those cats gave you "Genuine" feedback, or feedback you wanted to "HEAR"?

GTFOOHWTBS...

I would normally say, get in where you fit it. You're 16, you've only been mixing for a YEAR, and this would be a good way to get SOME exposure, be it bad or good...

If you have sloppy equipment, and it FAILS, this will teach you to get GOOD *ISH.

If you have sloppy mixes and they FAIL, this will teach you to PRACTICE more...

Do you think your mixes are "Perfect" , or just "Good Enough"?

Regardless, you're 16, and only been DJ'ing for a year so you CAN'T be any good, real talk...

So TRUST AND BELIEVE, the advice the cats are giving you aren't on some hater sh*t, and to tell you the truth, they'd clown you MORE if you were like Tiesto...

I did they whole "DJ Apprentice" thing until I could be put on, if you have nobody to show you, then I suggest you submit some mixes HERE, and let them release the Hounds...

If you can survive a review here, then you can survive anywhere...

Until then, clean the similac from behind ya ears....

+1
phonze 6:11 PM - 28 September, 2012
I know everyone has to start somewhere. Not a big deal since it sounds like some rave that you probably won't get paid for. What is a big deal is that you believe there's a good chance your set up will mess up on you. I would never play out if my equipment wasn't reliable, no matter how much I needed the experience. Try and figure something out before the day and good luck.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 6:25 PM - 28 September, 2012
It can't be worse then one of my first Unofficial/Official event....... Try playing with one belt driven turntable that you stole from you dad along with some cassettes and a player with songs recorded from radio while you are trying to skip the intros because the damn DJ on the radio won't shut up.......

If one could pull that off..... well... imagine what you can do now a days. lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:40 PM - 28 September, 2012
THEYRE ALL.....GONNA.....LAUGH AT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
deezlee 6:59 PM - 28 September, 2012
Rock that shit homie. And yeah, do whatever you can to get your equipment dialed as good as possible. Figure out who's the "soundguy" and check with them early and get them on your side and you'll be fine. And that advice goes for all future gigs too!
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:27 PM - 28 September, 2012
Mighty Dragon Sounds 8:46 PM - 28 September, 2012

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sureshot (PA) 3:14 AM - 29 September, 2012
everybody has to take their first gig at some point. i sure wasn't ready when i started playing out and i was awful. if you're serious about doing it, just go for it and learn from your mistakes. also, keep in mind that a significant of the posters on message boards like these don't play out EVER. so alot of them are transferring their justifications for staying home onto you.
pdidy 4:50 AM - 29 September, 2012
^^^did u read the op first post?
Papa Midnight 3:02 PM - 29 September, 2012
Quote:
^^^did u read the op first post?

I'd wager no with a slight hint of haterade.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:28 PM - 29 September, 2012

Stoppit Beezle - that shit is funny,,,,

Anyway, I just want to add one more thing that I am surprised that no one has yet.

Make sure your music selection is TIGHT.

I know you said - Drum and Bass (hope it works the same for that genre) - but pick about 5 or 8 ANCHOR songs - sure fire hits - and then pick about 2 or 3 songs to mix with each of those.

Try NOT to pre-plan your set but think about those HEATERS (but don't play them back to back to back) - then think about your next few songs - mix one - look at crowd reaction - what song will keep them going or get them more hyped...

Rinse - repeat -

If one song fails and you lose the crowd/floor - reach back and grab a HEATER - redeem yourself...

A old wedding dj made a comment back in the day that stuck with me throughout my "career" - DJing is like a Pistol - I only have so many bullets in my gun - Six sure fire HEATERS that can't fail to fill the floor - Why PLAY THEM ALL BACK TO BACK TO BACK????

When you start to lose the floor or part of your crowd - load a bullet...

The whole idea for a n00b is to eat up your time effectively and LEARN how to read a crowd.
DJ Dac 8:50 PM - 29 September, 2012
also, make a crate with 20-30 songs that you really want to play, if your sitting there sifting though 15,000 songs your going to get super lost and just spend all the time shifting though songs that have no business being with you during that kind of gig. i have forgotten to play the next song because i was drunk and started listening to songs in other crates that had no relevance with the gig i was playing just because i didnt want to listen to top 40 crap anymore, it took like three songs to get back in the flow of it, also i looked like a moron. so the point here is to stay on point and have an plan of what your going to do, your not good enough to wing it yet...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:52 PM - 29 September, 2012
Also, try NOT being drunk...you'll thank me later...
DJ Dac 10:25 PM - 29 September, 2012
^or high...
4mydawgz 3:36 PM - 1 October, 2012
I would say go for it if your gear and laptop were on point. But if your stuff is inadequate and subject to failure then I wouldn't have done it. First thing you should be is prepared. Nervousness is just a part of growing.
echa1945mf 5:23 PM - 1 October, 2012
make good friends with the soundguy , everytime i play somewhere new , i try to be the soundguy best friend,its worth it
Laz219 3:30 AM - 2 October, 2012
Quote:
also, make a crate with 20-30 songs that you really want to play, if your sitting there sifting though 15,000 songs your going to get super lost and just spend all the time shifting though songs that have no business being with you during that kind of gig. i have forgotten to play the next song because i was drunk and started listening to songs in other crates that had no relevance with the gig i was playing just because i didnt want to listen to top 40 crap anymore, it took like three songs to get back in the flow of it, also i looked like a moron. so the point here is to stay on point and have an plan of what your going to do, your not good enough to wing it yet...

Real good advice.
I did a gig the other night for a school, mostly all 16yo. It's been ages since I've done a night where the only thing that I really get a response from is current radio trash.
I'd kinda dumped all those tracks into their own crate so they were out of the way for regular sets.
By not doing a quick sort through the tracks before the job to highlight the 'essential' tracks I ended up spending way too much time scrolling through crates just looking at my choices.
As a result I felt like it was the worst set I've done in years.
pdidy 3:56 AM - 2 October, 2012
Quote:
I would say go for it if your gear and laptop were on point. But if your stuff is inadequate and subject to failure then I wouldn't have done it. First thing you should be is prepared. Nervousness is just a part of growing.

BINGO......
phonze 2:04 PM - 2 October, 2012
Quote:
also, make a crate with 20-30 songs that you really want to play, if your sitting there sifting though 15,000 songs your going to get super lost and just spend all the time shifting though songs that have no business being with you during that kind of gig

I really gotta start following this idea. I know about it, but I get too cocky I guess and think I can always just wing it. Then I end up looking like I'm typing an email in between songs.
DJ'Que 5:34 PM - 2 October, 2012
Or don't
even do the event. Get you're gear up to par first. That's more important.

The risk of it failing would get me nerves
ancientyouth 5:53 AM - 3 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hahaha anyone else read that in Carries (the sissy spacek movie) Moms Voice?

Totally
Bezzle has some of the best...hats off
ancientyouth 6:01 AM - 3 October, 2012
Last weekend i saw a guy djing with his ipad at an
Quote:
Quote:

im 16 years of age, i cant afford CDJ2000's and huge PA systems, i cant get into clubs to get practise...

The point is i want to get a taste of what its like when I'm young and learn from any mistakes I make, it's an underground rave, not a festival or something, the crowd will be 100 people max!
I'd love to know how you guys started off, bearing in mind Im completely self taugh and there is no DJ / music history in my ancestory, and I know very few people who DJ also.
I appreciate what your saying, I'm probably not completely ready, but then even if I wait til im 18/19 to do my first gig theres nothing stopping me from being nervous and screwing up is there?!

Hey kid bezzle is probably joking thats a quote from the movie which was probably made 15 years before you were born
Mighty Dragon Sounds 11:14 AM - 3 October, 2012
Quote:
Last weekend i saw a guy djing with his ipad at an
Quote:
Quote:

Hey kid bezzle is probably joking thats a quote from the movie which was probably made 15 years before you were born

I.............................. *sigh* am getting old.... :-/
Nicky Blunt 6:03 PM - 4 October, 2012
lmao @ 15 years b4 u were born.
DJ CV1 5:30 PM - 5 February, 2018
Get your practice from doing friends and family events/parties. Like, house parties, birthdays and holiday parties. Start learning from well known djs. Go on YouTube and do your research on getting training and advice. You're young so you have lots of time to learn and practice. Practice makes perfect. And for equipment learn off of what you have for now. Don't let the negativity bring you down let that be your motivation.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:40 PM - 5 February, 2018
He's probably 21+ yrs old now - wonder how it worked out for him?
Optimist 8:17 PM - 6 February, 2018
Can't believe how much of an asshole I was back then... jeez.

Update: I'm in my 20s now and have 5 bookings at clubs this month, I also study music at university so I guess things have kind of gone well. If I had a tip for my 16 year old self it would be have 3/4 beers.. bit of Dutch courage and really gets you into the music.

Although I really do hope the last 6 years have made me less of a little shit.. who knows
Anomoly 11:26 PM - 6 February, 2018
How did the gig go... seeing how it was 6 years ago?