DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

When did "Producer Drops" (Mayback Music, Nitty Beat, Mike Will etc) start...?

DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:36 PM - 22 September, 2012
I was listening to urban radio over the last few days and seems like every other song has that Mmmmmaaaa-MMmmma-mamMaayback Music "loop roll" drop in it (Bag of Money etc). Also been hearing that "Mike Will Made It" drop in a few songs as of late.

Got me to thinking, I remember Yung Joc - "Its Going Down" starts with the kid sample "It's A Nitty Beat" and and another pop producer (something like J-R) had a drop in a few songs - those were the first ones I remember?

Anybody remember any earlier artists where producers put "drops' in their songs....?
djpuma_gemini 11:37 PM - 22 September, 2012
"Mustard on the beat ho"

Not sure, but some are cool some aren't
djpuma_gemini 11:37 PM - 22 September, 2012
Bad Boy did it.
But it was/still is Diddy-puffy-combs' voice.
sixxx 11:52 PM - 22 September, 2012
It all started on June 12th, 1996.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:02 AM - 23 September, 2012
Quote:
It all started on June 12th, 1996.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Damn THAT'S RIGHT- I forgot that one

Sixxx your musical knowledge surpasses your DJ skillz...

: )

Anybody else?
DJMark 12:37 AM - 23 September, 2012
Darkchild did it in the late 90's/early 00's...

Jump Smokers was the first I remember hearing remixers doing that.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:52 AM - 23 September, 2012
Quote:

Example? I can't remember there being a Darkchild drop, I know he did some stuff for bad boy and puffy used a lot of spoken word "rap" - hard to tell if was a lyric or a drop.... LOL

Quote:

Discotech was that first I remember along those lines (other than Fatman Scoop yelling)
Watchwww.youtube.com
Mike_P 3:18 AM - 23 September, 2012
Akon and that stupid cell door slam followed by "convict". What an asshat. Not sure if he produced those tracks though.
DJ DisGrace 3:19 AM - 23 September, 2012
don't forget all the "Murder Inc" drops...
Steve E Wunda 3:38 AM - 23 September, 2012
DJ Clue?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:40 AM - 23 September, 2012
Quote:
Akon and that stupid cell door slam followed by "convict". What an asshat. Not sure if he produced those tracks though.

Ahhh, good one - yep forgot that one too - the jail door slam - "Connnn-vict!"
dj garcia 5:27 AM - 23 September, 2012
That shit is annoying as fuck! i hate those drops..
DJ SPAIR 8:47 AM - 23 September, 2012
I'm surprised no one mentioned "Juuuust Blaaaaze"
dreamkast 9:26 AM - 23 September, 2012
Those Cassie "next selection" drops over her tracks right pisses me off.
phatbob 11:22 AM - 23 September, 2012
My vote is for either Puffy as above, or maybe Timbaland...
DJ Nick Lee 3:30 PM - 23 September, 2012
Hmmmmm, intrusting.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:43 PM - 23 September, 2012
Had to be Puffy's azz...
d:raf 4:35 PM - 23 September, 2012
Pete Rock was the first that I can remember...

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ DisGrace 5:45 PM - 23 September, 2012
Premier always seemed to have a drop here and there too
DJ Ness Nice 5:54 PM - 23 September, 2012
Quote:
Pete Rock was the first that I can remember...

Watchwww.youtube.com

+1
Pete Rock wouldnt just put in a drop, Pete would ad-lib the whole song with his name all over it and any other random thought he may have had.
Dj Nyce 7:37 PM - 23 September, 2012
i love those producer drops.

david david david banner
the lex luger sound
tha bizness
justice league
bangladesh
DJ Dynamite - NJ 10:05 PM - 23 September, 2012
producer drops = wack
DJ Dynamite - NJ 10:07 PM - 23 September, 2012
I like the way that Premier did. He had a distinct sound and didn't need a drop for you to know he produced the track. If u gotta put a producer drop on a track then it's because you know your shit is a carbon copy of everybody else and unoriginal
R-Tistic 10:21 PM - 23 September, 2012
Quote:
I like the way that Premier did. He had a distinct sound and didn't need a drop for you to know he produced the track. If u gotta put a producer drop on a track then it's because you know your shit is a carbon copy of everybody else and unoriginal

Definitely don't agree at aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall.

It did become a trend, but doesn't mean that their music is carbon copies at all. A lot of producers who drop tags have a unique style.

Mike Will definitely came from the Drumma Boy "school" of sound, but he's evolved it into his own.

Just Blaze for sure took the boom bap and the late 90's Commercial East Coast sound to a new level, and used his tags.

Jazze Pha had that soulful but commercial sound when he was on.

Scott Storch for sure had a recognizable sound in 2004-2005.

DJ Mustard's sound is extremely basic, but he combined the sound of the 05 Snap sound, a little bit of 80's West Coast, and even a bit of New Orleans bounce to come up with that minimalist sound that's starting to influence a lot of other producers, even outside of L.A.

Premier for sure had his own sound and trademarks, such as how he bleeped out expletives, but a LOT of producers in that era were carbon copies of each other....but we only remember the ones that stand out.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 11:11 PM - 23 September, 2012
I've never heard of Mustard or Mike Will... what tracks have they produced?
DJ Dynamite - NJ 11:12 PM - 23 September, 2012
oh wait, Mustard did Rack City right?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:05 AM - 24 September, 2012
Quote:

Mike Will is on 2 Chains new stuff:

No Lie w/Drake Watchwww.youtube.com (drop is 2 seconds in - it's on other tunes too, can't think of it right now)
sixxx 12:23 AM - 24 September, 2012
Quote:

On Point.... all the other shit is cookie cutter shit.
DJ SPAIR 12:26 AM - 24 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely don't agree at aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall.

It did become a trend, but doesn't mean that their music is carbon copies at all. A lot of producers who drop tags have a unique style.

Mike Will definitely came from the Drumma Boy "school" of sound, but he's evolved it into his own.

Just Blaze for sure took the boom bap and the late 90's Commercial East Coast sound to a new level, and used his tags.

Jazze Pha had that soulful but commercial sound when he was on.

Scott Storch for sure had a recognizable sound in 2004-2005.

DJ Mustard's sound is extremely basic, but he combined the sound of the 05 Snap sound, a little bit of 80's West Coast, and even a bit of New Orleans bounce to come up with that minimalist sound that's starting to influence a lot of other producers, even outside of L.A.

Premier for sure had his own sound and trademarks, such as how he bleeped out expletives, but a LOT of producers in that era were carbon copies of each other....but we only remember the ones that stand out.

Well put Artistic! I would also like to add that producers want their drops because it builds reputation. Most producers are freelancers and not attached to groups or only one artist and a majority of mc's don't shout the producers name on their song.Unless your Pete Rock or Timbo Producer/MC.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 12:33 AM - 24 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

No Lie w/Drake Watchwww.youtube.com (drop is 2 seconds in - it's on other tunes too, can't think of it right now)

That's why I don't know who he is.. I don't like any of that slow ass down south stuff. They talk about the same stuff on every track... How much money they claim to have, how many hoes they claim to be doin, how much drugs they apparently sell... and of course, the strip club LOL
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:27 AM - 24 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's why I don't know who he is.. I don't like any of that slow ass down south stuff. They talk about the same stuff on every track... How much money they claim to have, how many hoes they claim to be doin, how much drugs they apparently sell... and of course, the strip club LOL

Man, I'm with you on the slow azz down south stuff, but keep it 100....

ALL DEM RAPPAS talk about how many hoes, drug slangin and the skrip club...

All of 'em...
philldafunk 3:21 AM - 24 September, 2012
"This a Nitti beat."

lol
Taipanic 4:35 PM - 24 September, 2012
My vote goes to So So Def, started using them in the mid-late 90's
d:raf 4:47 PM - 24 September, 2012
Does this count? Watchwww.youtube.com
Papa Midnight 5:12 PM - 24 September, 2012
Quote:
My vote is for either Puffy as above, or maybe Timbaland...

I was about to wager the same thing. You heard that baby, you knew it was a Timbaland beat.

Then again, Puff Daddy did the same thing so Sean Combs may have been first to that too.
CMOS 6:42 PM - 24 September, 2012
The one that popped into my head was AAAAAAAAAAALchemist.
Audio1 6:56 PM - 24 September, 2012
"Cos I'm KRS and I'm on the mic, and Premier's on The Breaks"
SpareChange 9:42 PM - 24 September, 2012
producer wise the first ones I remember doing it consistently were trackmasters and tumbling dice productions with the dice sounds at the beginnings of the tracks
DJMark 10:08 PM - 24 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Example? I can't remember there being a Darkchild drop, I know he did some stuff for bad boy and puffy used a lot of spoken word "rap" - hard to tell if was a lyric or a drop.... LOL

Brandy "What About Us" is one I recall, toward the end of the song.
DJMark 10:12 PM - 24 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Discotech was that first I remember along those lines (other than Fatman Scoop yelling)
Watchwww.youtube.com

Yea but at least Discotech has the decency not to actually stick that into the song itself...I've always thought it incredibly sleazy/douchebaggy for Jump Smokers to whisper on every fucking song they remix.
DJThrill~ 11:11 PM - 24 September, 2012
Its been going on forever but it is a great way for producers to get there name out there. for the ppl who may not know who they are .... some are good some are Cheesy. and since most music is now on the internet and not CDs ppl dont kno who produced it. Its a great for of promotion in my Opinion
DJMark 11:18 PM - 24 September, 2012
Maybe I should start doing it on all my posts

--m.m.m.m.Mark--

Just for promotion and to get my name out there.

But seriously...Jump Smokers have done some nice remixes, but it's super-douchey of them to stick that drop in every remix. When there were actually A&R people with some semblence of musical taste working at labels, it would never have been tolerated.
Daktyl 6:20 PM - 25 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Yea but at least Discotech has the decency not to actually stick that into the song itself...I've always thought it incredibly sleazy/douchebaggy for Jump Smokers to whisper on every fucking song they remix.

the jumpsmokers one isn't that bad...just a whisper so it's annoying but not unplayable. not a good look to drop a couple of theirs in a row though lol. also, not nearly as obnoxious as "DJ KHALED!!!" in that disgusted sounding voice. mike d always puts drops on his remixes, but it's just a whispered "d" with an echo, where if you know, then you notice it, but other wise doesn't even sound like a drop.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 6:25 PM - 25 September, 2012
The worst is R&B songs with thugged out sounding producer drop on them... just ruins the mood lol
Papa Midnight 6:40 PM - 25 September, 2012
Quote:
The worst is R&B songs with thugged out sounding producer drop on them... just ruins the mood lol

Man, if someone had been shouting "YMCMB!", etc. on top of some Boyz II Men back in the day...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:51 PM - 29 March, 2013
<whisper> Mike Will Made it....

Bump

I can't believe how many songs this dude has on the radio at the moment.

I guess the producer shit runs in cycles - he bumped out Maybach Music and Mustard on Da Beat...

That fucking drop runs thru my head every time I listen to Hot Garbage radio
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:07 PM - 29 March, 2013
I dont know the exact date but im willing to bet kid caprus was in on the ground floor

"Beat starts...mayboch music...screech music stops....screaming, see alot of you dont know this cause yall young but that was producer drop, thats the identifier for the public to know whos song it is...branding people....BRANDING...NOW SAY IT WITH ME BRAAAANDDDUNG...now who remembers who produced this song....anyone....ANYONE....REEEEWINNND...song starts...mayboch music.....sceech muisc....SEE MAYBOCH MUSIC, THIS IS HIPHOP..

......beat starts ...young mula baaaby....now who remembers what thats called, remember kids theres a quiz at the end...HOT FYYA!!!"
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:10 PM - 29 March, 2013
Seriously, clue and just blaze kinda made labling nonartist a thing, puffy, manny fresh, swiss beats and jazzy fay were some of the earliest producers that made it popular
Chrisjin 6:15 PM - 29 March, 2013
Hearing my brothers mixtapes back in middle school, dj Clue was pretty obnoxious, Primo dropping his PPPPPPPP-premier, JD with his So SO Def bs, dj Evil Dee of Da Beatminerz, Just Blaze, Traxters..thats all I can think of at the moment
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:17 PM - 29 March, 2013
I remember the first time i realised it wasva "thing" was when i was warching a jazzy fay interview and they askied him why he had a drop when he wasnt on the song and he explained manny told him it was something he needed to do
Chrisjin 6:31 PM - 29 March, 2013
Are you talking about Jazzy Pha? Ladies n Gentlemen
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:39 PM - 29 March, 2013
Quote:
Are you talking about Jazzy Pha? Ladies n Gentlemen

Ya him lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:40 PM - 29 March, 2013
A jazzy fizzle producizzle
Dj Nyce 7:19 PM - 29 March, 2013
"la musica de harry fraud" <--i love this one
DJ Sergio B 11:11 AM - 2 April, 2013
Track masters did the little whisper "track masters" - song I think of first was "lights camera action" by Mr. Cheeks - (go listen to that - dope gem there)... Dark child did Brandy's "never say never" album and did "you rock my world" by MJ - you can find his drops in that...

Clue with the echoed "DJ Clluuueee!" or his habit of "New (insert artist)!"). The number of songs I would hear him on .

JD's" so so Def" plug in everyone's tracks is the first "label name" plug I can think of - going back to Da Brat's "Funkdefied".
Papa Midnight 1:17 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
Clue with the echoed "DJ Clluuueee!" or his habit of "New (insert artist)!"). The number of songs I would hear him on .

My goodness that was annoying. Couldn't download a song without his drops over THE WHOLE THING.
Dj Nyce 1:39 PM - 2 April, 2013
on the mike will stuff do you guys know what the other sample is? usually before the 'mike will made it'. it sounds like someone is saying is saying 'al draws'. i know thats not what it is, but thats what it sounds like.
DJ Ness Nice 1:53 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

My goodness that was annoying. Couldn't download a song without his drops over THE WHOLE THING.

That was the whole point of doing it.. If i was the only person with that exclusive record on my mixtape im tagging that bitch up with all kinds of drops so nobody else can use it and just put on their mixtape.. for promotional use only, u want a copy without me screaming on it, wait til the single drop.
SpareChange 2:20 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
Track masters did the little whisper "track masters" - song I think of first was "lights camera action" by Mr. Cheeks - (go listen to that - dope gem there)...

I'm pretty sure that wasn't produced by the track masters and didn't come out until 2001 anyway, years after producer drops had been going on..
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:11 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
on the mike will stuff do you guys know what the other sample is? usually before the 'mike will made it'. it sounds like someone is saying is saying 'al draws'. i know thats not what it is, but thats what it sounds like.

What song? Give us an example, I'm hearing Mike Will songs all over the place but not sure what you are asking about
reggae delgado 5:41 PM - 2 April, 2013
Like most things that seem to be popular in music today, I'd say this started in reggae in the 70s when it was very standard to shout mention the producer and band in songs, especially on the"dj version" of a track.
Dj Nyce 12:49 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

What song? Give us an example, I'm hearing Mike Will songs all over the place but not sure what you are asking about

Juicy J - Bands Make Her Dance @ 0:01
Watchwww.youtube.com
pdidy 3:32 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Had to be Puffy's azz...

Take dat, take dat........lol
pdidy 3:41 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Like most things that seem to be popular in music today, I'd say this started in reggae in the 70s when it was very standard to shout mention the producer and band in songs, especially on the"dj version" of a track.

i think we have a winner.....
haveboard 5:00 AM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
"la musica de harry fraud" <--i love this one

I use to not mind Harry Fraud's drop until I started hearing it on beats I had heard before his time. Perfect example:

Chinx Drugz ft. French Montana - I'm A Cokeboy 88bpm
Watchwww.youtube.com

is basically a sped up instrumental of this:

Royal Flush - Worldwide 84bpm
Watchwww.youtube.com

Get 'da 4#!k 'outta here!

I think it makes more sense on a remix than a new track. This example isn't a remix, though.
DeezNotes 10:09 AM - 5 April, 2013
I understand why the ex DJs did it (like premier, pete rock, manny fresh, etc.). They made tapes back in the day. If you didn't put your name on your tape, somebody else would and rebrand it claiming all your hard work.

Premier's production drop is different though. He'll have the artist say his name. I don't mind that. Same with swizz beatz and kanye. However, I never liked darkchilds or jazzie pha.

These new songs with the same stale drop seems necessary for self promotion. They probably can't get artists to integrate it into the songs since most of them shop their beats around and not too many of them work in the same studio together. It seems like the lack of a real collaboration where the artist and producer are in the studio at the same time is showing in music.. But that's a different topic I guess.

Since we're on the topic, who used to yell "WET WIIIIPES"? lol
stevie o 1:17 PM - 5 April, 2013
Eddie Murphy's party all the time video paid homage to rick James on the beat. More of a visual drop
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:43 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
These new songs with the same stale drop seems necessary for self promotion. They probably can't get artists to integrate it into the songs since most of them shop their beats around and not too many of them work in the same studio together.

But you know what i was thinking Deez, you and i come from vinyl days - we would read the small type on a Record we liked and see what the deal was. Digital doesn't have "small type". People used to also read magazines like the Source for that info...

I guess the "drop branding" is one way to get notoriety and recognition- not that the new ratchet crowd actually cares...

I think Puma mentioned DJ Mustard - even though he did Rack City - I thought it said "Bust It on the Beat"- drops do work -lol
Papa Midnight 4:21 PM - 5 April, 2013
Does anyone remember Timbaland's drops? If you heard that baby, you knew it was Timbaland. Granted, even on tracks where you don't hear it, Timbaland has a certain style to his production that you just know it's him.
DeezNotes 4:57 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
But you know what i was thinking Deez, you and i come from vinyl days - we would read the small type on a Record we liked and see what the deal was. Digital doesn't have "small type". People used to also read magazines like the Source for that info...

That's kinda true. That's how I first learned about Pharrell and Rump Shaker - reading the notes on the vinyl. It wasn't until recently I found out he only wrote Teddy's verse. Same principal though.
DJ Ness Nice 5:03 PM - 5 April, 2013
As a producer im all for drops. Nowadays most time your never even in the studio when they are recording, alotta times your track just ends up floating around and ends up in various studios and no telling whos gunna jump on your track. Ive had a track end up on an album (Smitty former J records artist) with no credit to me, but if i did have a drop in there at least they would know where it came from. I was in the studio for like 2 days straight working on my boy Ameer project at Dj Eddie F. studio (Mini Mansion Studio). Did like 10 tracks, one of the tracks ended up in the offices is Czar entertainment (Jimmy Henchman), Smitty was managed by Czar at the time, i guess heard the beat, liked it, recorded it and used it on an album. I find out about it and check the credits and its listed as Produced by Unknown.. WTF.. Couldnt even do a cease n desist cause i was just doing tracks for my boy for his project, no contracts, no money no copyright.. Was just assed out on it. Not like i was expecting Smitty to have a hit record but the credit would have been nice.
StylesD 6:33 PM - 5 April, 2013
here's the origin of the maybach music drop >> Watchwww.youtube.com
Taipanic 7:12 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
Eddie Murphy's party all the time video paid homage to rick James on the beat. More of a visual drop

Also has Rick James singing on the track, producing, etc... It was more Rick James' homage to himself.
SUBSTANCE 8:34 PM - 7 April, 2013
Producer drops - soundboard...

www.complex.com
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:40 PM - 7 April, 2013
Quote:
Producer drops - soundboard...

www.complex.com

Kewl but missing a few - lol
Dokumentary 11:10 PM - 9 April, 2013
Jahlil Beats, Holla at me... Philly peeps know. He did all the early Meek Mill stuff before MMG. And some with MMG.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 4:52 AM - 6 May, 2013
Quote:

"Eardrummers" - his production company.

Why do I know unimportant stuff like this, but struggle to remember things that actually matter?