DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How to stop your mixes from getting kicked off soundcloud

Capo Status 5:30 AM - 23 August, 2012
Just as title says I posted a mix tonight, within a hour it was kicked off
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:44 PM - 23 August, 2012
Make your own music
Eric N 3:01 PM - 23 August, 2012
Or use Mixcloud instead...
revancheX 5:19 PM - 23 August, 2012
Or official.fm.
filitico 7:45 PM - 27 August, 2012
Quote:
Make your own music

+10
elsupermang 8:41 PM - 27 August, 2012
No real way to stop it. If any copyright holders complain Soundcloud is forced to take down your mix. I believe Mixcloud gets around this by identifying and paying royalties based on the music in your mixes.
amphidelic 9:20 PM - 27 August, 2012
Don't play stuff from the major labels' catalogs. Record sets with independent acts so you won't mega-corporations with money to throw away looking for more ways to take money to throw away.
revancheX 9:22 PM - 27 August, 2012
I always wondered about setting up a hosting site in Aruba, since they have an active WTO ruling that allows them to ignore USA intellectual property.
dj_ys 9:22 PM - 27 August, 2012
Soundcloud clearly plays favorites with their copyright policy. Just stay off of it.
DJ Eazy B 11:49 AM - 28 August, 2012
I use Soundcloud as a main source of uploading music, just add an intro at the beginning of your mix. 9 out of 10 times it's worked for me
Dax 8:12 AM - 29 August, 2012
i know how.

add 30 sec's of silence to the start of your file.
i was told to add white noise and did,it worked but i hated the noise at start of file,so just turn down the white noise and it still worked.

here it is in action.
soundcloud.com
Dax 8:20 AM - 29 August, 2012
Quote:
I always wondered about setting up a hosting site in Aruba, since they have an active WTO ruling that allows them to ignore USA intellectual property.

i was a member of Electemix.com you could stream and download,have followers,
all the things that soundcloud and mixcloud give you for a price but it was free.
sadly it got "hacked" and is no more.been told that it will come back one day under a different name.but i cant wait till then.

so i think you should....and when you do let me know.
Dax 6:32 PM - 30 August, 2012
so did it work for you Capo?
Capo Status 6:33 AM - 27 September, 2012
I didn't try it yet I will let you know how it goes
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:38 PM - 27 September, 2012
Worked for me, i did a remix that kept getting kicked, added a 15 sec drop, up and runnin
Mike_P 2:44 PM - 27 September, 2012
i added a mix that got kicked off as soon as it was uploaded. gonna try this method. lol
Dax 9:23 PM - 27 September, 2012
Quote:
Worked for me, i did a remix that kept getting kicked, added a 15 sec drop, up and runnin

nice to know it worked for you and only adding 15sec nice.
i wonder how short it has to be to work 5,10??
DJ ST 9:55 PM - 27 September, 2012
Try changing the copyright license into "Creative Commons"-license,
when you upload the mix and put in other info.

This helps most of the time, although it is not a foolproof-method.

Soundcloud is constantly improving their site, and I have no doubt that their
track-identifying algorithm is improving as well, so don't put in white noise or other gimmicks.

If you're looking into other options, either put it up into your own site,
or Mixcloud/Mixcrate?
R-Tistic 9:12 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

nice to know it worked for you and only adding 15sec nice.
i wonder how short it has to be to work 5,10??

Some of my intros are like 2-4 bars and it works. But they caught the one I did today, I'm trying the "Creative commons" way now to see
R-Tistic 9:14 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:

I use Mixcrate as a backup...it's solid, but my website is Wix, so people can't just play it from a Widget in there like they do on Soundcloud. Then, you have to have an account to Download. And Soundcloud's audience is just way, way way bigger...has stat counts and all else that help.
Dax 8:34 AM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I use Mixcrate as a backup...it's solid, but my website is Wix, so people can't just play it from a Widget in there like they do on Soundcloud. Then, you have to have an account to Download. And Soundcloud's audience is just way, way way bigger...has stat counts and all else that help.

i think the same about mixcloud,i hate that people cant DL ,way bigger audience and i do like having a look at the stats,its always nice to know who's listening.

i'll have a 3 hour radio show to add Monday,I'm not looking forward to that,its going to take ages to upload then if it kick i'll be pissed.

oh and one other thing.electecmix.com is back up and running,as i said before its free and you can download.

electecmix.com
Dj Rehab 9:35 AM - 8 November, 2013
Put real intro on it. I've never had anything kicked off Soundcloud. SC is where you will get the most listeners by far.
R-Tistic 11:00 AM - 26 December, 2013
Whoaaaaaaaaaa.....I just got this e-mail......

Two strikes: Important Notification from SoundCloud - Dec 26 2013

Hi there,

We have received a second notification from a copyright owner regarding infringing content appearing in your account.

We take copyright infringement very seriously. SoundCloud is a place for people to share their originally-created sounds and we require all users to respect other people's copyright. Uploading content that you do not own represents a serious breach of copyright law as well as our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.

As a result of this second notification, you are now at risk of having your SoundCloud account terminated.

If we receive another notification, your account will be removed and you will be banned from returning to SoundCloud. PLEASE NOTE: If you are a paying user, we will not refund your subscription fee if your account is terminated.

To prevent this from happening, please do not upload any content for which you do not own or control all relevant rights. If there is any other content on your profile that you do not own, please remove it immediately.

For further information about copyright, please visit our Copyright Information pages and consult our help center articles.

Best regards,
SoundCloud Copyright Team.
scottmelker 1:28 PM - 24 January, 2014
I just got the same termination notice... I have 10K followers and have had hundreds of blogs post the soundcloud widget... that will all disappear soon. Big issue is that my takedowns are of tracks that have been up for ages, so nothing I can really do. Time to move everything to legitmix.com and hope for the best, but this will effectively destroy my fanbase and internet presence, which I have spent years cultivating.
Logisticalstyles 1:21 AM - 25 January, 2014
Why are you all so determined to upload mixes to sound cloud when it obvious that they don't want mixes posted up? Why not use mixcrate? Use thefuture.fm, use mix cloud. There are plenty of alternatives that allow you to upload mixes.
Logisticalstyles 1:23 AM - 25 January, 2014
If they are really fans then they will follow you to where you move the mixes.
dj_ys 3:49 AM - 25 January, 2014
Quote:

Makes sense in theory but Soundcloud seems to have a much more active community than those other sites.
Mr. Goodkat 4:04 AM - 25 January, 2014
i put 25 mixes out on sc last year. never got a notice, but i did on one mashup that got taken down, and after about 3 more tries it stayed up.
R-Tistic 4:43 AM - 25 January, 2014
Quote:
Why are you all so determined to upload mixes to sound cloud when it obvious that they don't want mixes posted up? Why not use mixcrate? Use thefuture.fm, use mix cloud. There are plenty of alternatives that allow you to upload mixes.

So I started on Mixcrate and Mixcloud, but Soundcloud has a LOT, lot lot lot of advantages.

The most important one for me is that I use Wix, because it's the easiest way to maintain my website, and it only allows widgets to come from Soundcloud. Users don't need accounts to download songs, which is huge as well...Mixcrate makes them sign up for accounts. Then, the audience on Soundcloud is a lot, lot, lot, lot bigger.

My mixes get 3-4 times more hits being on Soundcloud than on Mixcrate/Mixcloud. I can upload a mix and not even promote it, and get 20-30 hits in a hour with Soundcloud. But yeah, most importantly is the fact that I need that widget for my website.
Mr. Goodkat 9:53 AM - 25 January, 2014
imo, the gui is more appealing to the user plain and simple. i really dont like mixclouds look. the wav file look is something more an more people are getting acquainted to as well. i think some djs have more social media presence on SC than they do fb/twitter/tmblr.

The infinite scroll is a bit off putting, i like the older paged look, and it goes down from time to time, but it seems to be the most popular right now.
DJ Remy USA 3:27 PM - 25 January, 2014
None of my commerical mixes have ever got booted my soundcloud. If you go on my profile ever track is instantly recognizable. I wonder what the cut off is

www.soundcloud.com
Logisticalstyles 3:34 PM - 25 January, 2014
I've never been a big user of sound cloud. I like mixcrate as a place to store my mixes and let people download from there and I use the future.fm as a place for people to stream my mixes. Their site is going through some changes. I only use soundcloud for beats, songs, and remixes. Only short projects.
R-Tistic 9:37 PM - 25 January, 2014
Quote:
None of my commerical mixes have ever got booted my soundcloud. If you go on my profile ever track is instantly recognizable. I wonder what the cut off is

www.soundcloud.com

You have intros on them all.

Intros are for sure the key...but also, putting a tracklist up is where they catch us if the scanning software doesn't catch it first.

I notice that they ONLY catch mine right away if there's no intro.
Mr. Goodkat 11:21 PM - 25 January, 2014
take a screenshot of the playlist(i do it in itunes or serato). use it as the pic for the mix or post it somewhere.
DJ Remy USA 5:07 AM - 26 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

www.soundcloud.com

You have intros on them all.

Intros are for sure the key...but also, putting a tracklist up is where they catch us if the scanning software doesn't catch it first.

true thats why I was curious what the cutoff is like how much does it scan before it stops
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:44 PM - 26 January, 2014
Quote:

Totally disagree, I listen to ALOT of forum members mixes but if it's on mixcloud I skip it unless it has grrreeeaaattt feedback or I run out of mixes first
djsmuve415 9:16 PM - 27 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
None of my commerical mixes have ever got booted my soundcloud.

Intros are for sure the key

^This, x2... its the truth - have an intro and beats running right away. just put up one the othe day where the first track has a sweep at the beginning and I used it, which I don't normally do - rejected. Through the mix in my DAW, took the sweep out and had it start on the beat like normal - mix accepted. End of story.
Laz219 10:38 PM - 27 January, 2014
I saw the other day that soundcloud are now working on licencing deals with a lot of record labels to allow their tracks to be used on SC.
Looks like they may have realized by aiming only at original production they were essentially losing a lot of potential users, especially now the whole world is a DJ.
R-Tistic 8:03 AM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
I saw the other day that soundcloud are now working on licencing deals with a lot of record labels to allow their tracks to be used on SC.
Looks like they may have realized by aiming only at original production they were essentially losing a lot of potential users, especially now the whole world is a DJ.

Hmm for real?? This could be huge, any info on it?
Laz219 10:33 AM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Hmm for real?? This could be huge, any info on it?

www.theverge.com
Shivam 10:09 AM - 10 February, 2014
I just found the solution . Suppose If the original song timing is 4.00 . You should make your mix to different Time means some gap from original song timing . then soundcloud will accept your file . its work for me and I hopes its works for everyone .
yowordiagree 12:47 PM - 10 February, 2014
Was about to post a new thread about this.
Right now I'm lookin at using mixcloud with download links but trying to decide where to host. Thinking bout paying dropbox or copy. Media fire is super cheap but I've heard about mixes bein pulled. What do u guys think?
djsmuve415 8:37 PM - 10 February, 2014
Quote:
Mediafire is super cheap but I've heard about mixes bein pulled

this is true - I've had a couple blocked.
yowordiagree 9:45 PM - 10 February, 2014
That's a Shame cos they offer stats the others don't. Seriously thinking about goin with copy tho only been usin it on my phone so far but no problems yet.
I'd be happy to pay a few quid if sc was to sort out a deal with labels ect but until then
It's a no go.
DJ Cway 2:42 AM - 21 February, 2014
just had my first experience with copyright claims on a mix with nothing but bootlegs & VIPs......cancelled my pro plan immediately.
Dj Rehab 3:30 PM - 21 February, 2014
Take the time to make an intro. Period, it works. I have 50 mixes up from top 40 to my own mashup megamixes. If you really want your music heard, Soundcloud is the way.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 6:50 PM - 21 February, 2014
I drop a whole bunch of Airhorn and bomb drop samples at the beginning middle and end of the song......

They tried to stop me from uploading an few beats that I had created.....

I guess the Bomb Drops and Airhorn and Reggae Sound Effects screw with the auto detection software they have running.
Djyunis 8:43 PM - 26 February, 2014
add little pitch to the song and will work. is being working for me :-)
ditzygypsy 9:37 AM - 13 March, 2014
Quote:

Do you mean change the song key? I'm not a DJ, but I post iTunes-purchased, VocaLive-app-recorded covers on Soundcloud, and a couple of songs have been rejected--and today I thought my latest one would be torn down immediately, but it passed; whereas, last week an OLD country standard was rejected, lol. I had to change the key of the one today using the Hokusai app--and because even the lyrics for that song are nowhere to be found online and a note from Google search says the DCMA filed a complaint about a result link that was removed (lyrics only), I was SURE the song wouldn't survive on soundcloud. So to the person who wrote the quoted post--do you mean change the song key?
(I apologize for posting in a DJ forum, but your issue is very similar to mine, and if you know where I should have posted instead, please let me know. I'm just so frustrated! And I'm not a karaoke singer, but some of the tracks I use include the word "Karaoke".)
Thank you!
Mike_P 2:16 PM - 13 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Do you mean change the song key? I'm not a DJ, but I post iTunes-purchased, VocaLive-app-recorded covers on Soundcloud, and a couple of songs have been rejected--and today I thought my latest one would be torn down immediately, but it passed; whereas, last week an OLD country standard was rejected, lol. I had to change the key of the one today using the Hokusai app--and because even the lyrics for that song are nowhere to be found online and a note from Google search says the DCMA filed a complaint about a result link that was removed (lyrics only), I was SURE the song wouldn't survive on soundcloud. So to the person who wrote the quoted post--do you mean change the song key?
(I apologize for posting in a DJ forum, but your issue is very similar to mine, and if you know where I should have posted instead, please let me know. I'm just so frustrated! And I'm not a karaoke singer, but some of the tracks I use include the word "Karaoke".)
Thank you!

I know this is a long thread and you're not a regular in here so you aren't expected to sift through the entire thing. But if you were to do so, you'd find that the one thing that works universally is to add a short intro to the beginning of any track you are uploading. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or terribly long. It could even just be your voice saying the intro. If I were you, I'd record a short intro that I could use again and again on every track I upload. Maybe something like "this is so&so and you're listening to blah blah blah..." Good luck.
ditzygypsy 9:47 PM - 15 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!

I know this is a long thread and you're not a regular in here so you aren't expected to sift through the entire thing. But if you were to do so, you'd find that the one thing that works universally is to add a short intro to the beginning of any track you are uploading. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or terribly long. It could even just be your voice saying the intro. If I were you, I'd record a short intro that I could use again and again on every track I upload. Maybe something like "this is so&so and you're listening to blah blah blah..." Good luck.

Thank you. I did read that in here, but I'd almost rather die than talk, and even if I did want to do that, I'd have to use the same thing as I do to change the key, which makes it a non-iPhone-only process, and I don't really even have a computer of my own anymore, lol. But thank you, and I do appreciate every single helpful word. Cheers!
Capo Status 3:22 AM - 19 March, 2014
Well just got my Beyonce partition blend kicked off, my dj drop to start, then an intro plus an outro and it was only a quick hitter. I don't think the entire putting an intro thing works
.DJN. 7:25 PM - 23 March, 2014
Idk why it is such a big deal when your posting original content. Just mix original content and SC won't take it down. The weirdest thing is I had done a long mix using my Launchpad and uploaded it. 5 minutes later it gets flagged with copyright infringement and the song it was supposedly copyrighted from sounded nothing like nor had none of the same wavelengths, sounds, vocals, leads, or basslines in it. Hopefully, this gets revoked. I wanna release it to the public. It's pretty good. By the way, I'm DJNakash on SoundCloud. Look me up. :)
.DJN. 7:30 PM - 23 March, 2014
Idk why it is such a big deal when your posting original content. Just mix original content and SC won't take it down. The weirdest thing is I had done a long mix using my Launchpad and uploaded it. 5 minutes later it gets flagged with copyright infringement and the song it was supposedly copyrighted from sounded nothing like nor had none of the same wavelengths, sounds, vocals, leads, or basslines in it. At this time, it looks like it just got revoked. Yay! By the way, I'm DJNakash on SoundCloud. Look me up. :)
R-Tistic 11:10 PM - 23 March, 2014
Quote:
Well just got my Beyonce partition blend kicked off, my dj drop to start, then an intro plus an outro and it was only a quick hitter. I don't think the entire putting an intro thing works

So I have learned this too.....the auto detect thing will not catch songs that have an intro. BUT...they still find songs by the artist or song name, and kick them off after they've been located somehow.
Dj Rehab 6:43 PM - 24 March, 2014
A true intro does the trick. If it gets kicked off after that, it's because someone reported it......
R-Tistic 8:13 PM - 24 March, 2014
Quote:
A true intro does the trick. If it gets kicked off after that, it's because someone reported it......

Yep
dj vegas 9:06 PM - 24 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

So I have learned this too.....the auto detect thing will not catch songs that have an intro. BUT...they still find songs by the artist or song name, and kick them off after they've been located somehow.

i want that mix bro:) Facebook josh dvi vegas butler :)
DJ Benny B NYC 7:06 PM - 25 March, 2014
i JUST put a mix up yesterday of 90's hip-hop and it got taken down. so i put a 20 second clip of people talking japanese in a classroom at the start, reuploaded it and now there's no problem.

i suggest that...
R-Tistic 8:32 PM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
i JUST put a mix up yesterday of 90's hip-hop and it got taken down. so i put a 20 second clip of people talking japanese in a classroom at the start, reuploaded it and now there's no problem.

i suggest that...

LOL Yepp. Now let's hope the Soundcloud admins don't find this post
Gio Alex 1:19 PM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:

i suggest that...

I dunno why this thread is still in discussion. I think it's confirmed that putting an intro clip will work lol. I agree Benny. I did the same thing and it worked.

However, I do believe that favorites are played somehow. Not sure how this works.
DJ Remy USA 9:21 PM - 26 March, 2014
I have yet to get a mix booted from soundcloud and my mixes are commerical music. Granted I scratch alot so maybe that covers it up. You guys should try making complex intros cause honestly I have never got one booted.
Mr. Cheese 71nyc 6:43 PM - 28 March, 2014
i think it is the record labels or artist that restrict their song to certain outlets and soundcloud don't want any legal issues with them. if labels don't want their stuff on sound cloud it is only a matter of time before they catch it. Try and have multiple outlets for your stuff and include links between each site!
Mr. Cheese 71nyc 6:43 PM - 28 March, 2014
i think it is the record labels or artist that restrict their song to certain outlets and soundcloud don't want any legal issues with them. if labels don't want their stuff on sound cloud it is only a matter of time before they catch it. Try and have multiple outlets for your stuff and include links between each site!
DJ Mackswell 7:49 AM - 31 March, 2014
On Wednesday Soundcloud deleted everything, I mean, EVURY-THANG. My entire profile, all tracks, all followers, all playlists, GONE after 7 years of paying Pro.

Reaching out to see if this has happened to anyone, and if there is any glimmering light of hope to have my account restored in some form.

I ran into similar issues with uploading, the intro work around always seemed to work, it was edits of songs that had made it my account, but were later reported. After the 2nd one I got the notice that I was in trouble. This happened with drum edits, not mixes however.... specifically Frank Ocean and Michael Jackson tracks.

I don't know how bigger name DJs and producers get away with this, or maybe they're just lucky, but I felt like deleting my entire account was extremely harsh.

Gonna start looking into Mixcloud and Mixcrate, but not sure what to do with my edits and remixes which were significantly more popular (and useful for DJs) than my mixes.

Sad day for this DJ over here. Any words of support or tips would be HUGE!

- @djmackswell
dj_ys 8:00 AM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:

Any words of support or tips would be HUGE!

- @djmackswell

Stop using SC until they change their policy?
Dj Fantom 3:05 AM - 1 April, 2014
Got my 1st notice today on a remix i did... i uploaded about 60 remixes/ blends on cs over the last 2 years ... take the old ones off and load new so have about 30 at any given time....... this 1st notice and take down will be my last !!!!. it wasnt even a whole mix or straight blend it was a remix with a few chopped up elements ...... If yall not up on it use Hulkshare .. its free and unlimited and the widgets work on wix pages ... thats what im usinf to host my files now and put widgets on my website and you can play and downloadwithout signing up to anything..... check it out . www.DJFANTOMONLINE.com go to the music page

SCREW SC ALL DJS TAKE YA MUSIC OFF OR JUST DONT UPLOAD NEW STUFF AND WATCH THEY SITE HUT DOWN IN A COUPLE YEARS !!!!
dj_ys 4:18 AM - 1 April, 2014
Audiomack, mixcloud, hulkshare, speedyshare, etc. There are a lot of options out there. I get that we want to use SC because of the built in user base but clearly, at the moment, they don't want our business.
DJ Tomo Woodland 11:59 AM - 15 April, 2014
This article, posted on the 9th of April says that Soundcloud will remove ALL remixes, mashups, bootlegs that aren't "official".

www.edmspain.es

It's in Spanish, but you can use google translate to read it in your language
:)

I guess, in the end... if Soundcloud wants to destroy itself in this way, people will just find somewhere else to share their music. Look what happened to MySpace... who uses that now?
R-Tistic 8:28 PM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:
On Wednesday Soundcloud deleted everything, I mean, EVURY-THANG. My entire profile, all tracks, all followers, all playlists, GONE after 7 years of paying Pro.

Reaching out to see if this has happened to anyone, and if there is any glimmering light of hope to have my account restored in some form.

I ran into similar issues with uploading, the intro work around always seemed to work, it was edits of songs that had made it my account, but were later reported. After the 2nd one I got the notice that I was in trouble. This happened with drum edits, not mixes however.... specifically Frank Ocean and Michael Jackson tracks.

I don't know how bigger name DJs and producers get away with this, or maybe they're just lucky, but I felt like deleting my entire account was extremely harsh.

Gonna start looking into Mixcloud and Mixcrate, but not sure what to do with my edits and remixes which were significantly more popular (and useful for DJs) than my mixes.

Sad day for this DJ over here. Any words of support or tips would be HUGE!

- @djmackswell

WTF..........yeah, this is suuuuuuuuper scary.

And I see everyone on here saying "stop using Soundcloud!" but for some of us, it's by far, by far the best option. I use Wix, and I can only embed links from Soundcloud. And not to mention the audience there...but I can't upload mixes into Wix itself. I would pay for the storage or whatever, but it's not an option there, and I'd have to use an entirely different platform for my website if I had the mixes stored on there. Ehh...it's a hard call, but this type stuff is scary as hell.
R-Tistic 8:31 PM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:
Got my 1st notice today on a remix i did... i uploaded about 60 remixes/ blends on cs over the last 2 years ... take the old ones off and load new so have about 30 at any given time....... this 1st notice and take down will be my last !!!!. it wasnt even a whole mix or straight blend it was a remix with a few chopped up elements ...... If yall not up on it use Hulkshare .. its free and unlimited and the widgets work on wix pages ... thats what im usinf to host my files now and put widgets on my website and you can play and downloadwithout signing up to anything..... check it out . www.DJFANTOMONLINE.com go to the music page

SCREW SC ALL DJS TAKE YA MUSIC OFF OR JUST DONT UPLOAD NEW STUFF AND WATCH THEY SITE HUT DOWN IN A COUPLE YEARS !!!!

Hmm so I can use Hulkshare for Wix widgets? Good to know.
Sounds By JB 10:23 PM - 19 May, 2014
The system for content detection is slightly buggy as well.

I use Soundcloud only for own music, so a couple of weeks ago I played around a bit with the new Roland Aira series and recorded this improvisation. So within seconds I get this notification:

"Our automatic content protection system has detected that your sound "ROLAND AIRA Improvisation - Episode 1" may contain the following copyright content: "Saxo" by Guernica, owned by Unknown. As a result, its publication on your profile has been blocked."

Really.. I have no idea how this... Watchwww.youtube.com can be at all confused with my toying around soundcloud.com

How flawed is that :S I already never used Soundcloud for DJ mixes, rather use mixcloud for that due to the whole copyright thing, but apparently now nothing is safe anymore.
Scott Nyce 2:37 PM - 25 May, 2014
I....N..T....R.....O
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:05 PM - 25 May, 2014
Y'all don't get it. If you don't "Own" or have license to legally share your "Remix" the song, you can't use these services.

Trying to get around it will only get harder in the future.
Mr. Goodkat 7:04 PM - 25 May, 2014
you cant go faster than the speed limit either, never stopped anyone.
djsmuve415 10:17 PM - 25 May, 2014
Quote:
I....N..T....R.....O

not working as well as it used too. they are def cracking down. and sorry.... but Mixcloud is not as good.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:34 PM - 25 May, 2014
Quote:

Precisely, but when they get speeding tickets, they shouldn't complain, right?
Laz219 11:02 PM - 26 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Precisely, but when they get speeding tickets, they shouldn't complain, right?

Nice.
Mr. Goodkat 1:59 AM - 27 May, 2014
its just a game of cat and mouse.
DJ Remy USA 12:20 PM - 27 May, 2014
funny thing none of my mixes have been kicked off souncloud and they are commercial as hell. I wonder why its like this and not universally booting everyone. Like all of the CK mixes are mad commercial and they never get booted
milcasa 9:04 AM - 1 June, 2014
I uploaded vinyl mixes and I havent gotten kicked off. Maybe its because I record directly to a CD recorder and not my computer. Then I just finalize it, load my info on ITunes, then upload it. No problems yet.
milcasa 9:14 AM - 1 June, 2014
Haaaaaaaaah!!! What happened to the good ok days of just making a CD, getting of your game chair, taking a walk and pass them out? you will more than likely get heard on a CD than a cloud. just cause you have thousands of followers doesn't mean you have thousands of listeners. this should actually encourage most of you to make your own music And stop doin remixes.
Gareth McKinnie 12:04 PM - 1 June, 2014
Make yourself an intro. About 30secs does the trick. Fade it out as you fade in your first track. Works for me every time. Not had any mix kicked off once it has the intro at the start. I use the same intro for every mix. It's become my thing to let people know it's me
Laz219 7:30 AM - 2 June, 2014
Quote:
Haaaaaaaaah!!! What happened to the good ok days of just making a CD, getting of your game chair, taking a walk and pass them out? you will more than likely get heard on a CD than a cloud. just cause you have thousands of followers doesn't mean you have thousands of listeners. this should actually encourage most of you to make your own music And stop doin remixes.

There's quite a lot of people around now that will not listen to a physical CD, if it's not on their phone/ipod/whatever...it doesn't exist.
Laz219 7:48 AM - 2 June, 2014
I actually just got a notification about a 3 year old mixtape being pulled from Soundcloud. Took long enough.
Mr. Goodkat 6:00 PM - 2 June, 2014
Quote:
you will more than likely get heard on a CD than a cloud.

thats a pretty bold statement.
BSQUARED 6:14 PM - 2 June, 2014
1st time poster here...

1) I have a 1 min intro on ALL of my mixes/podcasts and have NEVER had an issue. Songs on the mixes are commercial.

BUT

2) I have had THREE different mashups get taken down with a notice from soundlcoud...all of which happened approx. THREE months after they had been posted. All three had about a 5 sec. intro before a slight pause, then finally the song would begin.

=(
Sounds By JB 7:42 PM - 2 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
you will more than likely get heard on a CD than a cloud.

thats a pretty bold statement.

I would call it a ridiculous statement in a time where the internet finally gives artists the opportunity to release material and reach a world wide audience without the need of a record company. I would almost call that a musical revolution.
Mr. Goodkat 7:55 PM - 2 June, 2014
some people dont even have a cd player anymore. When i buy cds and records, my non dj friends always kinda have a puzzled look, like, 'you bought a cd??' I buy them as a collector, and of course, lossless files.
Dj Rehab 8:56 PM - 2 June, 2014
Quote:

I get 5000-9000 plays a day on my Soundcloud. NO EFFING way giving out CD's reaches anywhere near that....lol. This ain't the old days.
Mr. Goodkat 1:50 AM - 3 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I get 5000-9000 plays a day on my Soundcloud. NO EFFING way giving out CD's reaches anywhere near that....lol. This ain't the old days.

are you saying you couldnt hand out 5000 cds per day/nite. come on man, i used to pass out at least 6500 and that was in the middle of the winter with 4 ft of snow, down at the beach i was handing out like 13k a day!! Do you even have vinyl??
DJ Ness Nice 2:29 PM - 3 June, 2014
Quote:
I actually just got a notification about a 3 year old mixtape being pulled from Soundcloud. Took long enough.

Same just happened to me. An EDM mix from like 3-4yrs ago for party rock anthem being on there somewhere in the middle of the mix... Not only did they pull that mix i went to soundcloud to find only 1 out of about 10 post over the past 3-4 yrs still there. And 1 was for a song i produced for former J records records artist Smitty.. smh
Chris Deluxe 8:26 PM - 3 June, 2014
My older remixes/edits get pulled off soundcloud one by one lately. I think they are far more active lately.
I got my 3rd strike today, if I can't fight the latest copyright claim within 2 weeks, I think my complete account gets deleted..
Sounds By JB 10:46 PM - 3 June, 2014
Quote:
My older remixes/edits get pulled off soundcloud one by one lately. I think they are far more active lately.
I got my 3rd strike today, if I can't fight the latest copyright claim within 2 weeks, I think my complete account gets deleted..

www.mixcloud.com ... great platform, great concept, and no worries on copyright since artists actually get paid.
Chris Deluxe 10:56 PM - 3 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

www.mixcloud.com ... great platform, great concept, and no worries on copyright since artists actually get paid.

I have mixcloud, but my sounds not even get 1/10th of the plays from soundcloud.
Sounds By JB 5:52 AM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:

I have mixcloud, but my sounds not even get 1/10th of the plays from soundcloud.

Mixcloud has a different way of counting, a play is only a play when the user listens to it for more than x minutes, with soundcloud any hit is a play. So ask yourself, what is reality.
Chris Deluxe 6:39 AM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Mixcloud has a different way of counting, a play is only a play when the user listens to it for more than x minutes, with soundcloud any hit is a play. So ask yourself, what is reality.

I didn't know about that, but i think it's fair to say soundcloud had a bigger user base. I also think the layout is much better, and i can't find any option on mix cloud where people can download my tracks.
Laz219 8:41 AM - 4 June, 2014
I got another hit yesterday. for 'rivers of babylon by Boney M' - it was first track in the mix, but again, had been on my soundcloud for around 3-4 years.
Frustrating thing is it seems soundcloud has just gained a lot of traction here in Australia.
Sounds By JB 2:18 PM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:
i can't find any option on mix cloud where people can download my tracks.

And that is exactly why Soundcloud continuously needs to remove content and why Mixcloud doesn't have this problem.

Mixcloud markets itself as 'online radio' and they pay royalties the same way a radio station would. Thats why they are so keen on having a detailed, time stamped, playlist and will not count every hit as a play, to keep obeying the 'radio rules'.

Downloading on Soundcloud only makes sense when the content is actually yours. If its not yours, you're technically illegally offering copyrighted material. Mashups being as we say 'een grijs gebied' ;P

Thats why I have mixcloud for my mixes and soundcloud for my home made stuff.
Papa Midnight 6:03 PM - 4 June, 2014
Just got hit today for a mix that's been up for at least 5 years.

Quote:

Our automatic content protection system has detected that your sound [REDACTED] may contain the following copyright content: [REDACTED] by [REDACTED], owned by Arista. As a result, its publication on your profile has been blocked.

If you are the copyright owner of this content, please notify us of this by submitting a dispute, and we’ll be able to help out quickly. You can file your dispute at the following link: [REDACTED]

If you are not the rights holder, but you have gotten permission to share this material on SoundCloud from the copyright owner, please send us proof of this permission in a dispute for review: [REDACTED]

To learn more about what kinds of content you are allowed to upload to SoundCloud in order to comply with copyright law, please visit our copyright information page.

Thanks,

The SoundCloud Copyright Team

The funny thing is that I stopped uploading to Soundcloud a month after putting that mix up. I tried uploading a mix that day, and it was immediately hit. My counter-claim was later denied.

Been on Mixcloud ever since.

The thing is, I find Mixcloud's service to be vastly superior to Soundcloud, but it is not as ubiquitously supported as the latter service. Additionally, Soundcloud does indeed have a larger user base (though it should be noted that Mixcloud only counts full listens from start to finish).
Dj Rehab 6:42 PM - 4 June, 2014
I had a 3 year old Outkast mix taken down 2 weeks ago. No Intro..............I put a scratch intro on it( 30-45 seconds I think) and re uped it. Been up a week with no problem. Comparing Mixcloud and Soundcloud is silly...............Soundcloud, hands down x100 get your mixes and remixes heard. You must have a bonified intro- not just a drop. I have 70 mixes on there and 60 edit/remixes and none have a problem...........
dcmix2 7:41 PM - 4 June, 2014
These days soundcloud is kicking out more and more of my demo mixes.
My demos consist as "end of song mixing to intro of the next song".
Only small portions of copywrited material are used as to demo a mix.

soundcloud.com

I don't see how this could affect negatively an artist sales or earnings.
After 3 years without problems
they are now deleting them!
Clean up time!
Any suggestions appreciated :-)
Chris Deluxe 10:24 PM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:
I had a 3 year old Outkast mix taken down 2 weeks ago. No Intro..............I put a scratch intro on it( 30-45 seconds I think) and re uped it. Been up a week with no problem. Comparing Mixcloud and Soundcloud is silly...............Soundcloud, hands down x100 get your mixes and remixes heard. You must have a bonified intro- not just a drop. I have 70 mixes on there and 60 edit/remixes and none have a problem...........

All my edits and mixes have intro's. Before, that trick worked, but the last few weeks they have changed something in their detection system I think, because all I hear is people complaining their edit/bootleg/mashups got taken down
Chris Deluxe 10:34 PM - 4 June, 2014
In all fairness, we can't really blame soundcloud. They're forced to take down copyright material, or they'll be in trouble.
Logisticalstyles 10:47 PM - 4 June, 2014
Soundcloud has been busy lately.

www.youredm.com
dcmix2 12:13 AM - 5 June, 2014
i guess i'll need to wait til' another outlaw start something somewhere,
my demo mixes are personna non grata all over, too short for mixcloud and
deleted for copyrights reasons on souncloud.
soundcloud.com
Papa Midnight 2:25 AM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
Soundcloud has been busy lately.

www.youredm.com

Even the big guys feel the pain too, huh? So that's what it takes to draw attention to it.
Dj Shamann 2:40 AM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
Haaaaaaaaah!!! What happened to the good ok days of just making a CD, getting of your game chair, taking a walk and pass them out?

Usually when someone says "whatever happened to the days of" you know their about to say something out of touch.

I've been saying this since 2008-9ish, look around, do you see anybody carrying big yellow walkmans anymore? They're walking with ipods, and even more so in 2014 just using phones. Cars have mp3 players and satellite now, some computers don't even come with CD drives anymore. Back in the days we'd do a 10k run of CDs, now it would be a rare occasion to press 200.

That being said, I do agree that the approach can work if you target the right people, but even better if you've got the dough, hand out USB keys instead. It's like the strategy of handing out CDs before, most people would give it at least that one listen (unless you're a DJ tired of people giving you mixtapes), but with a USB key with your web address stamped on it, they're more than likely happy to get a free key.

This whole Soundcloud thing, oh well. I've heard people say their whole fanbase is on Soundcloud, if they lose it, the fanbase is gone. Than you need to be doing more to connect to your fans, at that point I'm agreeing with "whatever happened to the days of" guy again.

Whether it's mailing lists, fan incentive systems on social, whatever, don't rely on just one platform that is very grey area to begin with.

Mixcloud vs. Soundcloud, the user base is definitely larger on SC, but for how long? With DJs getting kicked off and fed up, how long before it becomes a ghost town for good music and regular fans move on?
milcasa 9:26 PM - 10 June, 2014
"My....aren't I the popular one...." -Ave Ventura

I, live in one of the Ghettos of Cali. I play Vinyl, I still Buy Vinyl, I have SERATO to play my digital Shtuff. But if I find it on Vinyl, its gonna get purchased. Most people that come from ghettos don't even have top of the line cars but they do have too of the line stereos.
Yes they do have USB hookups, iPhone jacks, sd card reader, sat radio but what do they always want..."Aaaaaaaaay MIL!!!! Can you make me a Freestyle CD for my Ranfla?"
That CD will get passed on worst than an STD from your corner "MEAT MARKET!"
Yeah, I don't get thousands of plays (even though a play can be 5 seconds cause I get bored easily), but I'm not complaining about Soundcloud.
Maybe Soundcloud just wants to remind the cloud community, "You can Scratch on it, you can put 45min intro on it you can even remix on it.....BUT IT'S NOT YOUR ORIGINAL SOUND, YOU'RE A RENDERED COPY OF AN ORIGINAL".

"But I ain't wanna gossip.....so you ain't heard that from me" - Benita Burrell.....in living Color.......
milcasa 9:28 PM - 10 June, 2014
Quote:
"My....aren't I the popular one...." -Ace Ventura

I, live in one of the Ghettos of Cali. I play Vinyl, I still Buy Vinyl, I have SERATO to play my digital Shtuff. But if I find it on Vinyl, its gonna get purchased. Most people that come from ghettos don't even have top of the line cars but they do have too of the line stereos.
Yes they do have USB hookups, iPhone jacks, sd card reader, sat radio but what do they always want..."Aaaaaaaaay MIL!!!! Can you make me a Freestyle CD for my Ranfla?"
That CD will get passed on worst than an STD from your corner "MEAT MARKET!"
Yeah, I don't get thousands of plays (even though a play can be 5 seconds cause I get bored easily), but I'm not complaining about Soundcloud.
Maybe Soundcloud just wants to remind the cloud community, "You can Scratch on it, you can put 45min intro on it you can even remix on it.....BUT IT'S NOT YOUR ORIGINAL SOUND, YOU'RE A RENDERED COPY OF AN ORIGINAL".

"But I ain't wanna gossip.....so you ain't heard that from me" - Benita Burrell.....in living Color.......
Chris Deluxe 7:19 AM - 11 June, 2014
I just received this e-mail. So that's the end of soundcloud for me.

Hi there,

Our records show that you have received multiple copyright infringement notices relating to content uploaded to your SoundCloud account. These notices were sent to you in response to takedown notices we received from copyright owners.

We take copyright infringement very seriously. Our previous notices made it clear that further infringement notices would result in the termination of your account in accordance with our Terms of Use, and we now have no alternative but to terminate your account with immediate effect.

Your account, your sounds, your followers and stats have been removed from our platform, and you are permanently banned from returning to SoundCloud.

We're sorry to have to take this action, but SoundCloud is a place for people to share their originally-created sounds and we require our users to respect other people's rights.

SoundCloud Support Manage Notifications
Mr. Goodkat 7:43 AM - 11 June, 2014
Quote:
I just received this e-mail. So that's the end of soundcloud for me.

Hi there,

Our records show that you have received multiple copyright infringement notices relating to content uploaded to your SoundCloud account. These notices were sent to you in response to takedown notices we received from copyright owners.

We take copyright infringement very seriously. Our previous notices made it clear that further infringement notices would result in the termination of your account in accordance with our Terms of Use, and we now have no alternative but to terminate your account with immediate effect.

Your account, your sounds, your followers and stats have been removed from our platform, and you are permanently banned from returning to SoundCloud.

We're sorry to have to take this action, but SoundCloud is a place for people to share their originally-created sounds and we require our users to respect other people's rights.

SoundCloud Support Manage Notifications

damn, was yours a free or paid account? i would be that they are being more lenient on paid accounts, and are tyring to clear out the free accounts. i think i have 30+ mixes up. plus 5-10 orig tracks and remix/mashes.
Chris Deluxe 7:51 AM - 11 June, 2014
Quote:
damn, was yours a free or paid account? i would be that they are being more lenient on paid accounts, and are tyring to clear out the free accounts. i think i have 30+ mixes up. plus 5-10 orig tracks and remix/mashes.

Paid account. My soundcloud is still up at this moment (4 hours after the e-mail), but i don't think it will last the day.

soundcloud.com
Mr. Goodkat 8:27 AM - 11 June, 2014
is this a way to get us to download your tunes? lol
Laz219 9:20 AM - 11 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Paid account. My soundcloud is still up at this moment (4 hours after the e-mail), but i don't think it will last the day.

soundcloud.com

I'm now getting user not found errors, looks like it's gone.

Wonder how many users they are going to lose now.
Chris Deluxe 9:29 AM - 11 June, 2014
Quote:
is this a way to get us to download your tunes? lol

Lol!
Chris Deluxe 9:29 AM - 11 June, 2014
Aaaannnnd it's gone!
R-Tistic 7:03 PM - 14 June, 2014
And..............they got mine now.

The intros did work for a good while, but they got me. And as I mentioned before, the main main thing about Soundcloud is that I can use their widget within Wix....I don't know what other website will allow me to do that.

This is definitely a huge huge blow. Thing is, they started removing old-old mixes from like July-August of last year.
dj_ys 7:43 PM - 14 June, 2014
R-Tistic is there a reason why you stick with Wix?

I feel like they've really fallen behind the times. Flavors.me, Squarespace, and a few other sites are still easy to use and more up to date as far as looks and features.
Alan Tanenbaum 6:08 PM - 15 June, 2014
Happened to me 2 weeks ago. I uploaded the same mix that I tried on Soundcloud to Mixcrate & Mixcloud. No more problem. On Mixcrate, you have to list the author & title, not a big deal. Then it shows the song in the mix can be purchased on Amazon. Mixcrate people can down load the mix if you set it up that way, Mixcloud you can't dl a mix.

I cancelled my subscription to Soundcloud after this.
R-Tistic 9:32 AM - 17 June, 2014
Quote:
R-Tistic is there a reason why you stick with Wix?

I feel like they've really fallen behind the times. Flavors.me, Squarespace, and a few other sites are still easy to use and more up to date as far as looks and features.

I mean, it's worked and been easy for me...I'd have to re-create everything, re-route it all, if I use another platform. Might not be a huge thing in the end, but I figure it would be easier to find another site for the mixes
R-Tistic 4:13 AM - 18 June, 2014
So I think Audiomack might be the best move for me.

www.audiomack.com

I can embed it on Wix, it works good on mobile, absolutely free with no limits, no scanner for copyright issues, and you can download from it (even within the embedded posts). And it has good counters. I think it's the best alternative for sure.
dj_ys 4:37 AM - 18 June, 2014
@R-Tistic they still do DMCA takedowns but it seems to be a better option overall...
Laz219 10:26 AM - 21 June, 2014
This is interesting with all the recent takedowns on SC,
mix vibes now supports live streaming from sound cloud.
d:raf 4:06 PM - 21 June, 2014
Aren't the soundcloud widgets 128kbps?
geeunot 7:50 AM - 23 June, 2014
Soundcloud just sent me a message saying its my second warning. If I get one more, my account gets deleted. Irritating.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:03 PM - 23 June, 2014
lol, they cleanin' up house....
d:raf 7:14 PM - 28 June, 2014
Just saw this article: doandroidsdance.com

Quote:
Soundcloud Boldly Releases New App, Allows Universal to Flag Your Account, and Quietly Announces Data Mining, All in One Month
June 27, 2014 at 8:20 pm
Written by Nappy

Back in February, I penned a speculative article in regards to SoundCloud‘s interesting choices in venture capitalist partnership, and a comment was left by someone that said my opinion “proves that you have absolutely no understanding of how the SoundCloud business model works or how venture capital works and should be prefaced as wild conjecture.” Obvious political and strategic moves were made alongside a series of partnerships with companies that have the ability to cross-pollinate all social media platforms and mine your data for profit, but we’re apparently just bloggers that have no idea how the real world works. Though there was a lack of concrete evidence to back our claims, the writing was on the wall, and all we had to do was sit back and wait.

As it turns out, all you have to do is read a little bit and connect dots to stay months ahead of economists, and SoundCloud’s new policy for cookies spells out exactly what we speculated. In a nutshell, the new guidelines state that you will start being tracked as of next month, your information will automatically be collected if your account is hinged to Facebook or Google+, and that you need to send a handwritten letter to Germany to opt out, but refusing to comply may result in termination of your account. It confirms our assumptions, and hints further at SoundCloud aiming to monetize or sell in the coming months. This announcement came quietly in a single notification that I haven’t seen since it popped up on my home page a couple of weeks ago, and has since eclipsed by the release of their new mobile app, which has been met with mixed reviews.

The most interesting move, though, is one that nobody is really speaking on–and it’s the most frightening. SoundCloud seems to have given Universal the keys to the car within the last month, and is allowing the media giant full access to flag accounts’ records without any communication whatsoever with SoundCloud. We’ve seen an insane wave of song removals, copyright notifications, and account terminations on behalf of SoundCloud in the past month, but seeing that majors now have back end access to systematically scrape all of their content without having to answer to anyone is crazy. Below are a series of emails to and from SubFM DJ Mr. Brainz, who had his account flagged directly by Universal with no involvement from SoundCloud at all. (visit the article to see the letters; they're screenshots)

The question posed by Mr. Brainz warrants discussion. Is a BBC mix somehow more important? Are heavily-trafficked accounts less likely for a major to flag? Are majors going to tiptoe around big acts and chop away at the novice musician until they control SoundCloud? We’re also curious what Universal’s issue is with SoundCloud, and we’re scratching our heads as Warner, Interscope, and Atlantic are using Soundcloud heavily, and Universal seems to have a hands-off policy with the platform. The most notable account strikes in recent weeks were against Kaskade, who complained publicly and now claims the ball is already rolling to start his own music platform. We’re curious about what the next step is for musicians that are fed up with corporations killing their vibe.
djsmuve415 12:01 AM - 29 June, 2014
Soundcloud will become the next Myspace, mark my words... thats the way everything comes and goes around.
DJ Tecniq 12:18 PM - 29 June, 2014
Mine kept getting taken down as well. If you add a 20-30 sec gap of silence before the actual song or mix starts SC has a harder time of pulling copyrighted content during the processing. All of my stuff is for free download from transitions to all sorts of genres so feel free.👌 www.soundcloud.com
geeunot 9:31 AM - 30 June, 2014
Quote:
Mine kept getting taken down as well. If you add a 20-30 sec gap of silence before the actual song or mix starts SC has a harder time of pulling copyrighted content during the processing. All of my stuff is for free download from transitions to all sorts of genres so feel free.👌 www.soundcloud.com

Yeah, put a drop with lots of stuff going on for 20 secs seems to work. If you search up DJ Primetyme on soundcloud, he has a ton of stuff with those drops.
Papa Midnight 5:19 PM - 30 June, 2014
d3qk4yk8nq0n55.cloudfront.net

It appears that SoundCloud is taking the YouTube approach.
Chris Deluxe 1:22 PM - 3 July, 2014
I hear a lot about hearthis.at
It has a beautiful design, and no copyright issues (yet). I really hope this is going to be the new soundcloud.

My profile:
hearthis.at
DJ Remy USA 1:39 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
It has a beautiful design, and no copyright issues (yet). I really hope this is going to be the new soundcloud.

My profile:
hearthis.at

Like it I signed up Im here

hearthis.at
Papa Midnight 2:02 PM - 3 July, 2014
Out of curiosity, what's the benefit of this site over Mixcloud?
Chris Deluxe 2:06 PM - 3 July, 2014
I think Mixcloud is more useful for mixtapes. Also i think the design is much more like soundcloud (even better), and you can enable downloads.
DJ Tecniq 5:21 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:

My profile:
hearthis.at
whoa I like this I'll have to sign up. And a genre for breakbeat👌
meccacitysound 6:36 PM - 3 July, 2014
put an intro/drop or some sound effects at the beginning works everytime
geeunot 11:01 PM - 7 July, 2014
Quote:
put an intro/drop or some sound effects at the beginning works everytime

we have talked about this before, and that doesn't work all the time.
Mr. Goodkat 6:10 PM - 8 July, 2014
weird, i have 62 sounds up, mostly 40-50 mixes, nver a prob.
Laz219 7:04 AM - 11 July, 2014
From today:Bloomberg: SoundCloud nearing licensing deals with record labels www.engadget.com via Engadget Android
silvercue 2:01 PM - 13 July, 2014
I uploaded a mix today and it was taken straight down. I think their software is as good as youtubes almost.

I can try the intro, but think it won't work any more.

I wonder if Carl Cox has his mixes removed?
silvercue 7:12 AM - 14 July, 2014
So I tried hearthis and it looks well structured, but also looks quiet. People seem to have small number of listens etc, but I only had a quick look about. It also seems to similar rules to Soundcloud, so may go same route in future. Also the technology is getting so good I think anywhere could use it soon to detect copyrighted stuff.

Mixcloud and Mixcrate just don't get the traffic for me. Literally about 10 listens compared to hundreds or thousands on Soundcloud!

So I am feeling like giving up with it right now. Not sure what way to go. Defiantly don't want to pay soundcloud just so they can take my mixes down or not let them go up in the first place.
Dj Rehab 12:42 PM - 14 July, 2014
a legit intro still works on Soundcloud for now. That may change with the new deal. Hulkshare has redone their platform to resemble Soundcloud too..............
silvercue 1:01 PM - 14 July, 2014
Thanks. When you say a legit intro are you talking about a copyright free drum loop until you mix to first track or some other type of background noise...like an ambient sound or cheering crowd?

Also, do we know how long the intro needs to be? I have seen anything from 5 seconds to 30 mentioned.

Does the intro need to me mixed with the start of the copyrighted track or just lead up to it and take up the first seconds of the mix?

Thanks
DJ Remy USA 2:31 PM - 14 July, 2014
Quote:
I uploaded a mix today and it was taken straight down. I think their software is as good as youtubes almost.

I can try the intro, but think it won't work any more.

I wonder if Carl Cox has his mixes removed?

My mixes never get taken down. You guys have to put intros drops crazy transitions anything to mess up the systems detection algorithm
silvercue 2:44 PM - 14 July, 2014
Remy - am going to try that, thanks. However, I have only had the problem occasionally. Other mixes just get accepted.

I didn't particularly want to mess with the start as the fisrt 30 seconds are pretty important, but looks like it's the only way and I don't think that will work for long.
DJ Tecniq 6:12 PM - 14 July, 2014
Just add 20-30 seconds of silence to the track or an intro to promote your mix and you should be fine.
DJ Remy USA 6:13 PM - 14 July, 2014
visit my soundcloud its all commercial stuff and never gets kicked.

www.soundcloud.com

not a attempt to plug myself but take a listen to how I do mixes and tracks so you get a idea on how to avoid the corporations take down policies
silvercue 7:00 AM - 15 July, 2014
I will take a look and listen @Remy. Out of interest (as I haven't listened yet) is that what you would do anyway or do you do that specifically as a method to avoid take down?
DJ Tecniq 8:25 AM - 16 July, 2014
Not all get taken down just recently I got a take down notice so I added a 15 min intro and reuploaded which went through fine👌 track here soundcloud.com
silvercue 9:30 AM - 16 July, 2014
OK I managed to get the mix uploaded by doing the following:

Reload the entire mix into Serato DJ. Loop the first 4 bars and overlay heavy effects on them for a few seconds and then slowly drop the effects and then release the loop. I would say this added 30 seconds of sound that would distort the waveform.

I uploaded to a separate new test account and it went up. I then tried to load to main account and was getting error...sound could not be uploaded, but no copyright notifications.

Eventually I uploaded it OK but had to add all the tags (bar 1) and pic afterwards. I think the upload was just a s'cloud issue at the time.

However, I don't think this will last as they are surely aware of what people are doing and will change how their software scans soon enough. I think my time with s'cloud may be coming to an end anyway.

For anyone who is interested in the effects I used (they are probably much more heavy than required) here is the s'cloud link:

soundcloud.com
DJ Remy USA 1:16 PM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
I will take a look and listen @Remy. Out of interest (as I haven't listened yet) is that what you would do anyway or do you do that specifically as a method to avoid take down?

nah its just what I do and it just so happens to avoid getting taken down. I have mixes from last year commercial still there up until recently I had mixtapes from 05 - now on there until I cleaned it up and those were commercial songs too but drops, scratches, quick mixing and just all around not playing the song in original fashion has been working
DJ Remy USA 1:22 PM - 16 July, 2014
the industry will never win this war they are fighting. The internet is free and open and even if one day they want to close the internet off there is a such a thing called a proxy server and they have gotten lightway and easy to configure over the years. They cant control the internet its a beast the music sharing is never going to end the music industry just needs to get over it and fast cause DJs are starting to become super stars and eventually those old farts are gonna die.
Papa Midnight 4:15 PM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
the industry will never win this war they are fighting.

...and yet, ever since the days of Napster, iMesh, Morpheus, etc. they keep trying this whack-a-mole thing.
DJ Remy USA 6:34 PM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

...and yet, ever since the days of Napster, iMesh, Morpheus, etc. they keep trying this whack-a-mole thing.

Yea its a loosing battle they actually already lost and just don't realize it. When you have to threaten the little guys like sound cloud and mega upload just flex your dying power its clear you lost the battle cause most artist want their music shared and played in as many markets as possible why would they depend on a industry that does nothing but take away from the creative avenues instead of embracing
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:37 PM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Make no mistake, they are getting BETTER at it...Both in terms of technology and common sense...

The technology will only get better as everything becomes digitized...it's just a matter of waiting it out and flipping the switch when everybody's got minimal alternate routes to take aside from the digital divide.

The common sense part is doing stuff like charging .99 cents for decent quality music files, so cats won't be pressed to try the Napster / Freeloading route....much less of a headache...and they make SOME money....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:39 PM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea its a loosing battle they actually already lost and just don't realize it. When you have to threaten the little guys like sound cloud and mega upload just flex your dying power its clear you lost the battle cause most artist want their music shared and played in as many markets as possible why would they depend on a industry that does nothing but take away from the creative avenues instead of embracing

I have to disagree here. Them shutting down places like sound cloud only sharpens their tools, and forces SOMEONE to have to start throwing some cash out there to get the same type of services...

It ain't about intellectual property, it's about cashing a check...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:43 PM - 16 July, 2014
If you think about it, the life expectancy of an average HipHop song is about a month IF that..

If it's a BANGER, then that's a different story, but how many bangers are they putting out?

By Bangers, I mean songs that, if it came out LAST year, you can play it a year later and get a hype reaction.

The other songs are basically BS, but they still want to make SOME money off of it, vs the end user getting it for free...

Enter the .99 cent digital download store.
DJ Tecniq 7:12 PM - 16 July, 2014
I think SC's detection is terrible. All you have to do is drop the track in audacity and click add "silence" to the start of the song. 15-20 secs is all you need if it's too much dead air then add an intro right before the song. It's really that simple👍
geeunot 11:02 PM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
I think SC's detection is terrible. All you have to do is drop the track in audacity and click add "silence" to the start of the song. 15-20 secs is all you need if it's too much dead air then add an intro right before the song. It's really that simple👍

Once again, it doesn't work all the time. They are catching up to that.
DJ Remy USA 3:57 AM - 17 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Make no mistake, they are getting BETTER at it...Both in terms of technology and common sense...

The technology will only get better as everything becomes digitized...it's just a matter of waiting it out and flipping the switch when everybody's got minimal alternate routes to take aside from the digital divide.

The common sense part is doing stuff like charging .99 cents for decent quality music files, so cats won't be pressed to try the Napster / Freeloading route....much less of a headache...and they make SOME money....

Industry whores cant win this one Johnny I mean they just cant because they are too old in the thinking and ways kinda like DJs who say "Im only vinyl nothing else" basically those poeple (not all) are for the most part phased out of the industry kinda like those industry suit and tie guys. They are dying breed which have no legacy because all they did was take advantage and fuck artist over. Artist barely support it so they release on their own.
DJ Remy USA 4:00 AM - 17 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have to disagree here. Them shutting down places like sound cloud only sharpens their tools, and forces SOMEONE to have to start throwing some cash out there to get the same type of services...

It ain't about intellectual property, it's about cashing a check...

Ehh maybe, I mean look at who they promote in the industry now? I mean can we call it quality? They are still cashing checks but they not as fat as they use be hence the frustration with the industry. Im sorry Johnny I think they are ass out because the industry is playing catch up always they wont win and its for the better at this point.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:24 AM - 17 July, 2014
I'm looking at it from a technological viewpoint first....

Take for example, them damn Whitelabel releases...

Jawns encoded with cats email addresses and passwords...

Can't play them CLEARLY unless hooked up to the RIGHT equipment...

It can EASILY be implemented into songs behind the scenes right now...

Mandate all digital releases to have this type of footprint...a Trojan back door if you will.

Throw a switch somewhere on firmware updated enabled hardware, restaurant jukeboxes, ipods, ipads, iphones, DVS software, etc...the sky's the limit.

No more "Freeish" Soundcloud type services, hell...imagine if they mandated that clubs, bars, or anyplace that has "Electronic Playback of Music" through some type of house system, got fitted with an sound detection scanner so cats can get paid or something.

The technology is ALREADY there....it's just waiting for the market to get flooded, and someone to throw the switch. IMO.
Papa Midnight 2:49 PM - 17 July, 2014
What you are effectively describing is every single DRM protection scheme created over the past 15 years.

- MediaMax CD-3
- XCP (You may better remember this as the Sony-BMG rootkit from ~2005.
- Wobble Groove
- Cactus Data Shield
- key2Audio
- Macrovision protection

And that's just CD Audio-related protection schemes. All of these have been defeated. All of them.

key2Audio was a personal favorite for just how bad of a protection scheme it was. The copy protection could easily be defeated by running a magic marker around the outer edge of the CD.

Whitelabel.net protection is basically dongle driven protection. Dongle protection is defeatable and has been before. Where there is a will, and a sufficient number of users who wish to break the system, it will be broken. Just ask video game companies who still try to use:

- StarForce
- SafeDisc
- SecuROM
- TAGES
- Steamworks (effectively only breaking multiplayer)
- Origin Protection (see: Steamworks)

Sony, looking at the example of the piracy playground that was the Xbox 360 and the Wii, thought it had the ultimate copy protection with the PS3... till it's Master Key was broken and leaked online (then accidentally retweeted by the twitter account for the fictional Sony VP "Kevin Butler" (arstechnica.com)).

In 2010, however, a newer method of copy-protection by the name of Cinavia came about after nearly 10 years of development. It was then made mandatory in all Blu ray releases starting in 2012, and is also present on movie theater soundtracks. It's bonus point was that it could survive in the audio stream of audio that had been trancoded, warped, sped up, slowed down, recorded externally (microphone), subjected to wow & flutter, only requires a single channel of audio to be detected, and reportedly only requires 8,000Hz of bandwidth. This was some pretty strong stuff.

The key-word in that last statement is "was" - that copy protection method was circumvented in Janaury 2013, defeated as of at least August 2013, broken as of November 2013, and has professional-level removal applications available as of May 2014.

Frankly stated, the entirety of Copy Protection schemes are one big game of whack-a-mole that will continue and continue. As the strength and height of the wall increases, so will the effectiveness of those who seek to break it down.

While they also play pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey with DMCA notifications and takedowns (the latter of which are about as effective as cutting off the head of a hydra), more and more sites set up shop, and more and more users discover VPNs.
DJ Remy USA 4:06 PM - 17 July, 2014
Quote:
I'm looking at it from a technological viewpoint first....

Take for example, them damn Whitelabel releases...

Jawns encoded with cats email addresses and passwords...

Can't play them CLEARLY unless hooked up to the RIGHT equipment...

It can EASILY be implemented into songs behind the scenes right now...

Mandate all digital releases to have this type of footprint...a Trojan back door if you will.

Throw a switch somewhere on firmware updated enabled hardware, restaurant jukeboxes, ipods, ipads, iphones, DVS software, etc...the sky's the limit.

No more "Freeish" Soundcloud type services, hell...imagine if they mandated that clubs, bars, or anyplace that has "Electronic Playback of Music" through some type of house system, got fitted with an sound detection scanner so cats can get paid or something.

The technology is ALREADY there....it's just waiting for the market to get flooded, and someone to throw the switch. IMO.

You make a good point Johnny, however I believe the hackers will be able to quickly figure out how to unlock files once a trend like this becomes standard there will be hack app almost as quickly as the type of technology you speak is deployed. Im looking at it from the stand point that people are always going to find a way to hack a security or exploit a vulnerability in the software so they can manipulate the audio file in the way they see fit by either cloning encryption (hard to do but doable) or cloning whatever mechanism needed to unlock said audio files, hope that makes sense,
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:06 PM - 17 July, 2014
Quote:
Frankly stated, the entirety of Copy Protection schemes are one big game of whack-a-mole that will continue and continue.

I have to agree whole heartedly with this...

Nice feedback man.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:10 PM - 17 July, 2014
Quote:
You make a good point Johnny, however I believe the hackers will be able to quickly figure out how to unlock files once a trend like this becomes standard there will be hack app almost as quickly as the type of technology you speak is deployed. Im looking at it from the stand point that people are always going to find a way to hack a security or exploit a vulnerability in the software so they can manipulate the audio file in the way they see fit by either cloning encryption (hard to do but doable) or cloning whatever mechanism needed to unlock said audio files, hope that makes sense,

You make perfect sense yourself...

I feel that as the security increases on the low, companies are making it "easier" to obtain songs while making a buck vs. the end user wanting to obtain the song completely free by some other means.

I mean, how many Cable companies ALREADY send out those "Piracy" notices regarding cats trying to download movie torrents and such?

We ALL have to go through an Internet Service provider, and I believe it'll be sooner than later before they are totally entrenched in having to abide by some DMCA "type" of technology.
Pee Cow 11:02 PM - 25 August, 2014
Has anyone had a mix pulled for containing a track that, in fact, it didn't?
Opa 1:00 PM - 25 October, 2014
Just added 10s of silence and it worked for me !
Mr. Goodkat 3:30 PM - 27 October, 2014
anyone notice, when someone posts a boot or something very recognizable, maybe thru their own software, that they disable the download if it is available? it will just say 'failed-server problem'.
DJ Tecniq 10:14 PM - 27 October, 2014
If anyone wants some free edits check out my soundcloud I have all kinds of useful tools for DJS. And adding silence helps ;) www.soundcloud.com
MadBinxx 4:04 AM - 13 January, 2015
Wix is retarded for having its only playlist app a site that is specifically made for posting your own material. Having just had a song taken of my list I found this thread. Having read through, a lot of people are saying to add silence. And even better suggestion, for those that cant even stand ten seconds, is put a short song or audio clip in front of the track you want played.
Renko 12:07 AM - 20 January, 2015
Guys, after countless tries I managed to upload my track to Soundcloud. Just used a slight pitch correct and added some reverb to the vocals and it worked out. Hope this works for you too.
DJ Tecniq 2:53 AM - 20 January, 2015
Quote:
Guys, after countless tries I managed to upload my track to Soundcloud. Just used a slight pitch correct and added some reverb to the vocals and it worked out. Hope this works for you too.
that would really make my mix sound weird I'll stick with the silence for now👍
R-Tistic 12:50 PM - 21 January, 2015
I started a few mixes out just filtering the highs out for ten seconds or so, turning the filter knob to where it went from silence to normal. Just anything to throw off the waveform really.
alex scott 9:35 AM - 23 February, 2015
Just had my second takedown from SC , uploaded a 16 track mix and they claim it contains a track called " the same things " by Art Of Tone. It's complete BSas my mix doesn't contain that track or anything remotely like it. Filed a dispute ....... Denied ! Really considering ditching SC !
DJ Tecniq 7:58 PM - 23 February, 2015
They deleted my entire soundcloud. Whatever you do be careful you get a 3rd strike and its bye bye😢
alex scott 8:46 PM - 23 February, 2015
Yeah I noticed you were deleted ....... That sucks . I've not actually had a warning yet but i'll never careful .
DJ Remy USA 9:23 PM - 23 February, 2015
Ive been lucky I wondering how long until they find me. My mixes are totally commercial but they are remixed and scratched over alot so I think thats what is saving. Soundcloud is going down they will be like myspace in few yrs. The music industry needs a new angle Im sure since Tecniqs SC was shut down people just stop downloading free mp3's ...said no one ever.
DJ Tecniq 2:51 AM - 24 February, 2015
^ So true Remy and I only cared for sound cloud to market myself i never charged anyone for any of my downloads. My question to them when the banned me was "What artist or DJ hasn't sampled someone else's work" just saying.
DJ Tecniq 2:56 AM - 24 February, 2015
Soundcloud is full of bootlegs and remixes it's absolute bullshit.
Mr. Goodkat 5:37 AM - 24 February, 2015
tech has some tough breaks. i have almost 65 mixes up and they all have easily identified songs with no problem.
d:raf 7:13 AM - 24 February, 2015
I'm on there now and was just forced to listen to a message from the FDA about not smoking.

Things just ain't the same no mo...
R-Tistic 12:03 PM - 24 February, 2015
I got back on in July, and putting 10-12 second intros has saved me. They haven't detected ANY that I put an intro on. Plus, I never put any track lists under the song either.

www.soundcloud.com - Got 50 mixes (5 are remixes/individual songs) on there
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:03 PM - 24 February, 2015
lol, c'mon y'all....The technology is only gonna get BETTER at recognizing the music, and the amount of people still using Soundcloud is dwindling, so now they can focus on who's left....

Y'all might as well place bets as to how soon you WILL be shut down...
Papa Midnight 4:56 PM - 24 February, 2015
Quote:

I'm actually in agreement.
alex scott 6:50 PM - 24 February, 2015
Soundcloud really need too short their act out , especially with licensing. For me I'm not out for profit . Just a bedroom dj looking for a little exposure and perhaps a break . Along the way original artists work is getting exposure too. How many of us have discovered tracks in mixes and then ended up paying for them ? It's good all round . Things stay the way they are then Soundcloud will be the only loser !
 6 7:12 PM - 24 February, 2015
I've never had a single mix flagged from soundcloud.... but I'm also not liking how if you only get 100 downloads/per mix with the free account.

nm
DJ Remy USA 7:12 PM - 25 February, 2015
Quote:
lol, c'mon y'all....The technology is only gonna get BETTER at recognizing the music, and the amount of people still using Soundcloud is dwindling, so now they can focus on who's left....

I think some members are being protected on purpose. My shit is ultra commercial and no take downs ever. Im not sure what the threshold is or maybe there is no threshold and its all random. Like for instance Club Killers is all commercial but they started getting there stuff snatched down recently too and they are giant compared to most of us so I dunno.
DJ Remy USA 7:14 PM - 25 February, 2015
Quote:
Soundcloud really need too short their act out , especially with licensing. For me I'm not out for profit . Just a bedroom dj looking for a little exposure and perhaps a break . Along the way original artists work is getting exposure too. How many of us have discovered tracks in mixes and then ended up paying for them ? It's good all round . Things stay the way they are then Soundcloud will be the only loser !

Souncloud will be the looser cause the let recording industry start dictating how they run their services. Since soudcloud didnt have the lawyers or funds they backed down and did things the way the industry wanted them too. Soundcloud was awesome for its time but when the recording industry feels like they are loosing money they want it back.
DJ Eazy B 11:24 PM - 25 February, 2015
I was a Pro member and my account got deleted too.

All my subs, consistantly high play counts. Gone! : (
 6 12:31 AM - 26 February, 2015
Quote:
I was a Pro member and my account got deleted too.

All my subs, consistantly high play counts. Gone! : (

You DJ so bad

nm
DJ Pritty Swif 3:08 PM - 16 March, 2015
Man...this blog has been very informative. I'm new in the game and ran into these issues over the weekend while trying to upload my mixes. I'll be sure to give an update once I try to a few of these tricks. Question though.....Are you guys RE-recording the entire mixes when you add these intro's/white noises? If not, how do you do it?
geeunot 7:04 PM - 19 March, 2015
Damn, even Club Killers has had their shit taken down?!?!? Wow. Yeah. I haven't uploaded shit to soundcloud since they deleted me twice.
DJ Tecniq 8:08 AM - 21 March, 2015
Quote:
Man...this blog has been very informative. I'm new in the game and ran into these issues over the weekend while trying to upload my mixes. I'll be sure to give an update once I try to a few of these tricks. Question though.....Are you guys RE-recording the entire mixes when you add these intro's/white noises? If not, how do you do it?
no just use audio editing software like audacity to add silence or you can hit record with a long pause before playing👍
xFallenDemon99x 9:02 AM - 8 April, 2015
What i do is use audioboom, it's like soundcloud and you can embed it into sites like faceook.
also kiwi6 is good but there's no widgets or embed codes.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:08 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:

Yup, they just hit 3 tracks in my page that have been there for years
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:10 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:

Quote:
^ So true Remy and I only cared for sound cloud to market myself i never charged anyone for any of my downloads. My question to them when the banned me was "What artist or DJ hasn't sampled someone else's work" just saying.

GTFIH with that. Ive been to your soundcloud tech, you werent sampling or remixing shit. You were just coping and pasting 1 track into another and calling them transitions lol
Mr. Goodkat 5:29 PM - 8 April, 2015
out of 85 sounds, prob 70 contain copyrighted material.

ive had 3 taken down in the last 2 years, they were either rock or downtempo remixes. but none of the rap or house/techno stuff i do has been taken down.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:14 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yup, they just hit 3 tracks in my page that have been there for years

Stay tuned....
meccacitysound 10:14 PM - 8 April, 2015
FUCK SOUNDCLOUD I JUST DELETED MY ACCOUNT ....PULLING DOWN MY ORIGINAL
REMIXES THAT HAVE BEEN UP OVER A YEAR NOW
DJ LIL M 11:17 PM - 9 April, 2015
i tryed to upload a mix today put couldn't....so i went to mixcloud
DJ LIL M 11:17 PM - 9 April, 2015
Quote:
i tryed to upload a mix today put couldn't....so i went to mixcloud

but
myndgruv 12:30 AM - 10 April, 2015
i just had a mix thats been up for a year taken day. Had a ton of plays too. Sucks
RonDu 4:12 PM - 10 April, 2015
Same hear. Been up almost 3 years and now they're taking it down
DJ Tecniq 4:16 PM - 10 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

GTFIH with that. Ive been to your soundcloud tech, you werent sampling or remixing shit. You were just coping and pasting 1 track into another and calling them transitions lol
That's where you are "wrong" my friend. Most "edits" I have done our transitions i did myself. The simple edits i never called "transitions please get your facts straight before you make up some nonsense.
DJ Tecniq 4:19 PM - 10 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

And by "sampling" I meant other ppl's that's what you do you "sample" their music or "use" their music to do whatever the hell you wish to it and most of my edits were "flip" edits there's nothing super hard about it it's either switching a drop or adding one or modifying the edit for better mixing. I never "stole" anything from anyone is called a fucking edit for a reason..."i edited the original"
DJ Tecniq 4:22 PM - 10 April, 2015
For example here is an original to trap edit... and regardless of that before my sound cloud got deleted I had over 1,000 downloads on every single "edit" I did. Why the hell you are questioning me I have no idea...????

soundcloud.com
DJ Tecniq 4:26 PM - 10 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

And never said I "remixed" anything...it's called an "EDIT" or "Re-Edit" it is no different than any "Frankenstein edit on mp3 pools or flip edits..they just change the drops or modify them with a track that's similar so you can GTFOH with that bullshit... I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong but you're clearly mistaken.
CMOS 4:44 PM - 10 April, 2015
They are going hard over there, even mixes that have intros are coming down.
silvercue 11:02 AM - 13 April, 2015
This has been an issue for some time now.

Putting an intro, white noise or effects on the first 30 seconds does not protect your mix. It is likely to mean it gets through the initial scan when uploading. I have used this method for a long time and got a mix from over a year ago removed recently. The software is also clever enough now to detect if you have altered the track slightly in Audacity etc. Same as Youtube software.

I also went into dispute with Soundcloud as I DO NOT believe I infringed copyright laws. After a protracted debate (in which I had to take on the risk to pursue) I was informed that they only take done mixes when they have been issued with a takedown notice by the produced/label.

This is why people get varied results. Some labels like Spinnin and artists like Hardwell will try to take down everything. Other producers are happy for you to use their tracks, with or without permission. Sadly, even label like Skint, who I would have thought would be progressive minded forced me into a takedown (that was the one in dispute) as I had Fatboy SLim's Eat Sleep Rave Repeat mixed into it.

The problem is - if you contact labels like skint and seek permission they ignore you. Yet I have contacted other producers/labels and been given permission....but those ones don;t ask for take downs anyway, so I am getting nowhere.

We all know the alternative is other sites, but if I load a mix to soundclud it gets thousands of listens. If I upload it to mixcrate or mixcloud I will be lucky if it gets 10!

I have had my main mixes - with stats I am proud of as a bedroom DJ, taken down. It is really disheartening.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:45 PM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

And never said I "remixed" anything...

....your defense for your songs being up....

Quote:

Quote:
For example here is an original to trap edit... and regardless of that before my sound cloud got deleted I had over 1,000 downloads on every single "edit" I did. Why the hell you are questioning me I have no idea...????

soundcloud.com

So you took 1 song and pasted after another. ..9f course you're getting 1,000 Dls, your giving away artists music on 2 for 1 packs
DJ Tecniq 3:56 PM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

soundcloud.com

So you took 1 song and pasted after another. ..9f course you're getting 1,000 Dls, your giving away artists music on 2 for 1 packs
ppl do this all the time with editing? So what's really the problem with it? Why are you so concerned are you part of the RIAA? I didn't just paste over it I transitioned from one bpm to another which is why it sounds so smooth. That's really all editing is is cutting, pasting, making an intro/outro. Are you the song police🙏 don't take me to jail
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:10 PM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

soundcloud.com

ppl do this all the time with editing? So what's really the problem with it? Why are you so concerned are you part of the RIAA? I didn't just paste over it I transitioned from one bpm to another which is why it sounds so smooth. That's really all editing is is cutting, pasting, making an intro/outro. Are you the song police🙏 don't take me to jail

Dont get so buthurt. Im just saying, dont use the excuse that soundcloud is full of remixs and bootlegs when the shit they took down from you isnt a remix or a bootleg
djsmuve415 6:15 PM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:
I was informed that they only take down mixes when they have been issued with a takedown notice by the produced/label.

this.
Quote:
We all know the alternative is other sites, but if I load a mix to soundclud it gets thousands of listens. If I upload it to mixcrate or mixcloud I will be lucky if it gets 10!

and this.
Soundcloud is unfortunately the Facebook of the music world,, while Mixcrate is like the dirty little distant cousin. I laugh at dudes saying SC is gonna fold because of all this - not likely any time soon. putting up mixes right now is a crap shoot, just gotta see what sticks is all u can do.
Mr. Goodkat 6:46 PM - 13 April, 2015
soundcloud will only fold because it's never been a profitable business(although it generates revenue). i know people that arent djs that are just as worried tending and updating their soundcloud as much as people are on twitter/fb/snapchat.
DJ Tecniq 7:11 PM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

soundcloud.com

Dont get so buthurt. Im just saying, dont use the excuse that soundcloud is full of remixs and bootlegs when the shit they took down from you isnt a remix or a bootleg
"NEVER" have I ever called any of my "EDITS" bootlegs or remixes. Where the hell do you think all these mp3 pools get their bootlegs or remixes from..."Here's a clue" "THEY ALL COME FROM SOUNDCLOUD....."
DJ LIL M 3:04 AM - 14 April, 2015
damn record labels....everything is downloadable these days. All we are tryin to do is post our mixes and promote
LuckyFiasco 1:12 AM - 15 April, 2015
For the first time EVER this has happened to me after I've uploaded SEVERAL edits, remixes and tapes. Even actual FM radio broadcasts. Mix cloud isn't my favorite. If anyone finds a similar alternative to Soundcloud aside from MixCloud, please let me know.
DJ Tecniq 3:15 AM - 15 April, 2015
Quote:
For the first time EVER this has happened to me after I've uploaded SEVERAL edits, remixes and tapes. Even actual FM radio broadcasts. Mix cloud isn't my favorite. If anyone finds a similar alternative to Soundcloud aside from MixCloud, please let me know.
www.mixcrate.com is better than all of them.
d:raf 1:40 PM - 20 April, 2015
Perhaps a glimmer of (somewhat) positive change? stoneyroads.com
joem789 1:37 AM - 21 April, 2015
I don't always write music. I often do covers because that's what I like to do at this point in time. And like everyone else. I like to post my music. How to get around it? I have had great success with a combination of things. Altering speed, pitch, and using mono in certain spots. You can throw off the detection pretty easily. The beginning of songs are a dead giveaway. So maybe try cutting off the beginning of the song as well and do a fade in on the first verse. I keep Goldwave open to quickly edit files to see what works. I have had a handful of songs rejected right after the upload. And I have edited them to work 100% of the time. Its a workaround I know. But aren't you tired of greedy companies trying to monopolize the same sounds they pour into our hearts? People sing covers more than anything else. Its a moral and ethical thing with me. And the law never aligns itself with what is truly right.
Dj Shamann 2:31 AM - 8 May, 2015
Mixcloud announced today (in emails, I see nothing on their blog) that they have a new Soundcloud importer. Not sure how it's going to work, but maybe worth looking into as a back up.

SC is just going to get worse. I recently heard that they removed some of Rob Swire's own tracks. www.youredm.com

Instead of trying to game Soundcloud with crossed fingers every time you have to upload a mix, you should be spending that time in setting up long term strategies for your online presence.

Website > social media > mix platform. With everything pointing back to your website.

Why put all of your eggs in one basket and put yourself at the mercy of a company who has made it clear that they no longer want your content on their system?
Chris Deluxe 3:23 PM - 8 May, 2015
Quote:
Instead of trying to game Soundcloud with crossed fingers every time you have to upload a mix, you should be spending that time in setting up long term strategies for your online presence.

Website > social media > mix platform. With everything pointing back to your website.

Why put all of your eggs in one basket and put yourself at the mercy of a company who has made it clear that they no longer want your content on their system?

That's exactly what i did. I made a custom tab on my FB page with all my downloads on my own server space. The tracks are also on Soundcloud and a few other platforms, but downloads all direct to my Facebook page.

I made it with copy/pasting some existing modules, customizing it to my liking.
www.facebook.com
LuckyFiasco 3:56 PM - 8 May, 2015
I used the SoundCloud importer to import everything to MixCloud before they taking something else off. It worked extremely fast too. I'm also gonna use Mixcrate. SoundCloud will only be used for me to find new music from new producers and artists from now on.
DJ Remy USA 7:10 PM - 8 May, 2015
Soundcloud member for over 6 years still nothing taken down. I just remixed a number 1 song on beatport not a single peep from soundcloud. Anyways

here is the next soundcloud I already signed up for it, starting to get some traffic going too.

hearthis.at

Also check out tonden.io another great promotional tool for DJs.
DJ Remy USA 7:29 PM - 8 May, 2015
First upload on heathis.at

hearthis.at

you guys should sign up its starting to bubble over there
Sebastian_IGI 10:31 PM - 17 May, 2015
PEOPLE EVEN MARTIN GARRIX HAS PROBLEMS WITH SOUNDCLOUD.. CHECK THIS OUT: twitter.com
Mr. Goodkat 5:43 AM - 18 May, 2015
EVEN MARTIN GARRIX???
Mighty Dragon Sounds 7:32 AM - 18 May, 2015
I use Audacity to change the pitch of my mix by 4-6 percent..... Its low enough to not distort anything by too much but its enough to seem to fool the soundcloud sensors.
LuckyFiasco 4:03 AM - 27 May, 2015
Just spent a few days testing - Mixcloud is a 'No - Go'. Users can listen, but can't scrub due to "Licensing Issues". That doesn't seem worth the $15/ month. Mixcrate.com seems like a better option - only downfall to Mixcrate - there is no Mobile App . . .And that might be intentional seeing as how a Mobil App allows the Listener to take the Content with them. Record Labels are def putting forth a strong effort this year..
DJ Remy USA 6:00 PM - 1 June, 2015
HearThis.at

thats really the soundcloud alternative that actually works and the U.S cant use their silly copywrite stuff to block at least not yet its a german company
DJ Remy USA 6:02 PM - 1 June, 2015
Mr. Goodkat 12:04 AM - 2 June, 2015
Quote:
HearThis.at

thats really the soundcloud alternative that actually works and the U.S cant use their silly copywrite stuff to block at least not yet its a german company

saw that recently. .at is actually an austrian domain.

its not bad but it seems a bit cluttered.

sony is the big player in banning mixes right now. one of about 3-4 mixes of mine (out of 60) was for a madeon song. i tried it several ways and it never stayed up. after reading the below article it made sense.

www.stereogum.com
DJ Irv 2:04 PM - 2 June, 2015
To get an idea of what Spotify is paying Sony. Of which very little ever goes to the artist.

www.stereogum.com
DJ Remy USA 2:04 PM - 2 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
HearThis.at

saw that recently. .at is actually an austrian domain.

its not bad but it seems a bit cluttered.

sony is the big player in banning mixes right now. one of about 3-4 mixes of mine (out of 60) was for a madeon song. i tried it several ways and it never stayed up. after reading the below article it made sense.

www.stereogum.com

It is a little cluttered but it almost like soundcloud its really good but I have little to no traffic on it. There are some other good apps but fuck Capitalism and all the corporate fuck bags they aint nothing but blood suckers reading stuff like that is maddening.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:54 AM - 26 June, 2015
Soundcloud Is About To Be Hit With Copyright Infringement Lawsuits

Okay but seriously, this really is the end of Soundcloud y’all. After years of operation without any massive reproach, Soundcloud is about to come under fire by the likes of Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment and arguably the biggest dog of them all, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). If just one of these companies filed suit, Soundcloud might still have a leg to stand on, but a legal assault from all three simultaneously would force Soundcloud to most likely shut down their services due to “massive copyright infringement.”

The streaming service, who was speculated to introduce a subscription-based plan rollout soon, wants to keep a free tier like Spotify, but seeing as how Soundcloud failed to reach the proper deals with UMG and Sony, the talks will soon dissolve in favor of the lawsuits. The latter has been relentless in its quest to show Soundcloud who is in control, forcing them to remove entire catalogs from most of its major artists.The only label that won’t likely be involved in this legal battle will be Warner Music Group, who reached an agreement in exchange for a 5% share.

If you recall, the same thing happened to Grooveshark, who recently folded due to legal troubles. They surrendered their website and wiped their entire site to appease the same companies that Soundcloud is currently in hot water with. Though I doubt they’ll have six years to continue to operate if UMG, Sony, and the RIAA are on their heels. If Soundcloud can’t come out on top, this could be the end of (mostly) ad-free music streaming.

www.youredm.com
yoitsmafia 7:40 AM - 4 July, 2015
Just received two strikes in two days. Pretty pissed as I'm a premium pro unlimited account holder, paid up until Nov 2018. I'm guessing they won't refund any of that $$ I gave to use their service, ey!
Mighty Dragon Sounds 3:09 PM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
Just received two strikes in two days. Pretty pissed as I'm a premium pro unlimited account holder, paid up until Nov 2018. I'm guessing they won't refund any of that $$ I gave to use their service, ey!

Are they no longer just removing them? I thought a Strike was only if you disputed the claim.
yoitsmafia 3:41 PM - 4 July, 2015
I haven't even uploaded anything new for around 6 months. Never disputed anything, as they just would notify me that they were taken down due to copyright infringement. I never made a claim, case or disputed. Another mix was taken down last week and all of a sudden now I'm getting "strikes". I got one two days ago, I emailed them to ask why I had, they replied every time they take a mix down I get a strike against my account. Today I received a second strike - no mix was taken down or any action on my behalf taken so I'm flabbergasted as to why. I've just put all my mixes on private and moved everything over to mixcloud around 2 months ago anyway. Thank god I don't rely on Soundcloud anymore. Just pissed cos I've paid pro unlimited account til 2018... For nothing!
Mighty Dragon Sounds 5:38 PM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
I haven't even uploaded anything new for around 6 months. Never disputed anything, as they just would notify me that they were taken down due to copyright infringement. I never made a claim, case or disputed. Another mix was taken down last week and all of a sudden now I'm getting "strikes". I got one two days ago, I emailed them to ask why I had, they replied every time they take a mix down I get a strike against my account. Today I received a second strike - no mix was taken down or any action on my behalf taken so I'm flabbergasted as to why. I've just put all my mixes on private and moved everything over to mixcloud around 2 months ago anyway. Thank god I don't rely on Soundcloud anymore. Just pissed cos I've paid pro unlimited account til 2018... For nothing!

On your second strike all your mixes become non-downloadable right?

I got one strike against me.... I am afraid to get another one..... *gulp*
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:41 PM - 4 July, 2015
lol @ y'all being "scared"...

By now you should be playing games with them..

Like see who's mix can be taken down the quickest...
djsmuve415 6:57 PM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
Like see who's mix can be taken down the quickest...

^ this... u guys don't get it... Soundcloud is history. The labels have seen Spotify's success, and thats the way to go. Mixcloud's infrastructure is nowhere near where Soundclouds is - plus the user doesn't have the option to download if they want to,, rendering it flawed from the get go.
Dj Shamann 10:51 PM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
plus the user doesn't have the option to download if they want to,,

LOL This is where most of you are missing the whole point.

You post a link on the mixcloud back to your WEBSITE.

That's the whole point right? To promote YOU.

You're all being held hostage and waiting around for the next safe platform to do the work for you, instead of setting up a headquarters and using the host companies as extra tools. But your foundation should always be your website aka YOU.

If people are not already using the "download" link on Soundcloud to send people back to their site for the DL, than they're already wasting a prime opportunity and I can see why they're the types to miss out on the bigger picture.
Dj Shamann 10:59 PM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
I got one strike against me.... I am afraid to get another one..... *gulp*

Even though we know the system has been hardcore about it lately, they need to just take the mixes down and leave it at that.

Even Youtube (who's algorithm is getting even better than it already was) has relaxed on the "strikes". I got two take downs during the #BeyonceAlwaysOnBeat fun but no real threatening messages about it.

I mean if you're constantly abusing the system I get it, but they're really shooting themselves in the foot over this one.

But hey, once upon a time Napster was the innovative king, when one falls, ten others set up shop.
Dj Shamann 11:00 PM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
I got two take downs during the #BeyonceAlwaysOnBeat fun *within a day of each other (and had just been hit about an old mix just before it
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:01 PM - 4 July, 2015
I mean, the truth is that 99% of the Soundcloud users are violating the terms ANYWAY by posting up stuff they don't have the rights to....Doesn't matter if it's free for download or not...

It's not supposed to be there.....PERIOD...

Doesn't matter what you THOUGHT it could be used for..

Doesn't matter if you THINK you're giving the artist "Free Publicity" by remixing their jawn and making it "Hotter"...

The Music Companies Give Zero F*cks about that....and NOW the technology is there for them to leverage it...

Y'all keep an eye on that Apple Music, and how soon your library will be a victim...

lol... Stay tuned.
Dj Shamann 11:03 PM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
I mean, the truth is that 99% of the Soundcloud users are violating the terms ANYWAY by posting up stuff they don't have the rights to....Doesn't matter if it's free for download or not...

Doesn't matter if you THINK you're giving the artist "Free Publicity" by remixing their jawn and making it "Hotter"...

The Music Companies Give Zero F*cks about that....and NOW the technology is there for them to leverage it...

Pretty much
Mighty Dragon Sounds 6:48 AM - 5 July, 2015
Sigh.... I've had 2 websites as a "HQ" for myself over the past few years........ I've gotten rid of them for the likes of Facebook and Soundcloud..... It was starting to become more of an annoyance then a joy to run those websites but hey..... Time to get at it again!
djsmuve415 8:31 AM - 5 July, 2015
Quote:
It was starting to become more of an annoyance then a joy to run those websites

having ur own website has gone the way of the dodo bird... specially with the rise of most people doing browsing on smart phones and small tablets these days - they want sights that are more centralized, not having to click through links, and then more links. and when ur putting something on Soundcloud - on ur own page - u are promoting YOURSELF.
Dj Shamann 9:24 AM - 5 July, 2015
Quote:
and then more links. and when ur putting something on Soundcloud - on ur own page - u are promoting YOURSELF.

You're promoting what, your mix and then what? That you and every other jackass can put two records together? What about what else YOU have to offer? You're illustrating my point. And to be real, if your mixes aren't good enough to make people click elsewhere, you need to step up your mix.

Don't blame your laziness and lack of innovation on Soundcloud limitations.

LOL @ websites are going the way of the do-do, you just illustrated the difference between Djs that have a lot of shitting flying over their own heads.

Quote:
If people are not already using the "download" link on Soundcloud to send people back to their site for the DL, than they're already wasting a prime opportunity and I can see why they're the types to miss out on the bigger picture

I mean, you didn't even realize that you can put a DL link in a mixcloud description.

SMH
Dj Shamann 9:26 AM - 5 July, 2015
Quote:
that have a lot of shitting flying over their own heads.

*a lot of shit* flying over their own heads.

Smashed my phone while moving subs, it's acting on its own. Lucky it's insured.
Dj Shamann 9:44 AM - 5 July, 2015
Quote:
specially with the rise of most people doing browsing on smart phones and small tablets these days

The ignorance is astounding. My biggest hits on my website are from mobile. Thanks FB/TW/G analytics.

At the end of the day, blah blah blah. What are you going to do next when your Soundcloud is gone? Probably nothing,so it's obvious we're on different pages.
djsmuve415 6:20 PM - 5 July, 2015
Quote:
You're promoting what, your mix and then what? That you and every other jackass can put two records together? What about what else YOU have to offer? You're illustrating my point.

whatever, you do what you do. In my specific case I don't put up mixes to promote myself, most of them are for friends, relatives & colleagues who request and ask for them - and more importantly enough, enjoy them. and Soundcloud makes it easy to access them with their phone app, and they can DL if they so choose. end of story here for me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:33 PM - 5 July, 2015
Quote:
In my specific case I don't put up mixes to promote myself, most of them are for friends, relatives & colleagues who request and ask for them

Did YOU do the mixes then?
Dj Shamann 4:13 AM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:

In my specific case I don't put up mixes to promote myself, most of them are for friends, relatives & colleagues who request and ask for them - and more importantly enough, enjoy them. and Soundcloud makes it easy to access them with their phone app, and they can DL if they so choose. end of story here for me.

LOL like I thought, you're just some guy, and here you are you are talking about where websites are going, what platforms are this and such. You're detrimental to these conversations because your business doesn't rely on this shit, yet here you are.
djsmuve415 6:09 AM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
your business doesn't rely on this shit

yeah, I have enough business already, thank you. Not sure what ur point is.. and it also doesn't mean I'm not allowed an opinion on Soundcloud.
Dj Shamann 6:13 AM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
Not sure what ur point is..

Quote:
yeah, I have enough business already,

Quote:
your business doesn't rely on this shit,

If you're that fucking stupid...
Dj Shamann 6:58 AM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
yeah, I have enough business already, thank you.

Well show me how good your business is then DJsmuve415678594

Since you have zero links in your profile, I want to know why your opinion on this matter counts.
Dj Shamann 7:04 AM - 6 July, 2015
The point is, you're just some dipshit that has a Soundcloud for friends, yet you're talking about it as if you know.... c'mon son.
Mr. Goodkat 7:42 AM - 6 July, 2015
bad july 4th weekend shamann?
Dj Shamann 7:57 AM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
bad july 4th weekend shamann?

LOL pretty good actually, but I'll stop now.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 11:46 AM - 6 July, 2015
lmao
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:48 AM - 6 July, 2015
Ha ha, he was going in dude something serious....
DJ Remy USA 1:52 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:

Y'all keep an eye on that Apple Music, and how soon your library will be a victim...

lol... Stay tuned.

yea I totally am not upgrading anything itunes related whats gonna happen is they will scan libraries at some point and either lock or remove files that cannot be verified as purchased by an approved distributor. The conglomerate is cooking up something
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:13 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
. The conglomerate is cooking up something

I've BEEN telling' y'all this since forever....

lmao @ Tin Foil Hat....smh.
DJ LIL M 3:53 PM - 6 July, 2015
you would think pro members would get some slack lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:58 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
you would think pro members would get some slack lol

Why?

This is the biggest scam EVER.

It TELLS you right in the Term Of Service what you CAN'T use SoundCloud for...

lol....
Mr. Goodkat 7:45 PM - 6 July, 2015
thing is mixes and paint by the number-loop based remixes are about 60-70% of my feed, with a lot going to those things like tone den that you have to follow to get the download.

i guess they pay a licensing fee or ??? because very rarely are those like or follow links not remixes from an artist on a bigger label, although they are clearly not commissioned or on larger dl services like itunes and beatport.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 7:46 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:

lol....

That long ass thing that I was supposed to read....... yea.........
Mighty Dragon Sounds 7:48 PM - 6 July, 2015
How do record pools get away with giving away or selling music (With Monthly Membership like Franchise)? Is it some kind of deal they use with the labels?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:18 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

lol....

That long ass thing that I was supposed to read....... yea.........

lol, and that's how you're on the hook..

You're promising money to something that IF they enforced their own rules, you'd be azz out...

You're pretty much taking a gamble.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:19 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
How do record pools get away with giving away or selling music (With Monthly Membership like Franchise)? Is it some kind of deal they use with the labels?

Most likely...

But AGAIN, they're selling it to YOU...

Now whether or not YOU have the "Right" to play it in Public or not is an entirely different issue.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 10:03 PM - 8 July, 2015
Two more mixes removed..... But no strikes..... Good thing though. My older mixes needed a clean up anyway. They haven't touched the mixes that I changed pitches on. That seems to fool the detection software.
Dj Shamann 10:40 PM - 8 July, 2015
Quote:
Two more mixes removed..... But no strikes..... Good thing though.

What did they take down with you? I had this discussion with a Soca Dj friend of mine who feels he's safe because well... Soca. But I reminded him that he also plays remixes, and the algorithms change and might eventually pick it up. Knowing what you play, it made me think of that.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:34 AM - 9 July, 2015
Y'all need to start placing bets....
Mighty Dragon Sounds 6:33 AM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Two more mixes removed..... But no strikes..... Good thing though.

What did they take down with you? I had this discussion with a Soca Dj friend of mine who feels he's safe because well... Soca. But I reminded him that he also plays remixes, and the algorithms change and might eventually pick it up. Knowing what you play, it made me think of that.

It was one of my old school R&B mixes and a top 40 mix that I did. One was 2 years old and the other was a year old. Both of them I uploaded without incident at that time.

My Soca and Afrobeat mixes haven't been touched so far. Some of my old school Reggae Dancehall mixes were taken down. Mainstream stuff that everyone knows like Sean Paul or Wayne Wonder and Beenie Man.

So far, changing the pitch on all the final mixes by 4 to 8 percent + through Audacity or Adobe Audition and uploading them has worked. I saw it on a YouTube video.

We'll see how it fars with the new stuff.
DJ Irv 1:28 PM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:
So far, changing the pitch on all the final mixes by 4 to 8 percent + through Audacity or Adobe Audition and uploading them has worked. I saw it on a YouTube video.

Some D-Bag at the record companies is probably reading that comment right now and asking their nerds to re-adjust the algorithm accordingly.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:32 PM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Some D-Bag at the record companies is probably reading that comment right now and asking their nerds to re-adjust the algorithm accordingly.

Well if thats the case I will stick to my Soca and Afrobeats mix! lol. They never take those down!

I've begun to hate mixing the newer so called Hip Hop songs now a days...... 65 to 70 bpm.... its so freakin slow.... Makes good music videos where everyone is moving in slow motion.....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:21 PM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:
Y'all need to start placing bets....
DJ LIL M 6:38 PM - 9 July, 2015
Serato should start a site lol
DJ Remy USA 6:39 PM - 9 July, 2015
hearthis.at

I keep telling yall this is the alternative and its way better than soundcloud.
DJ Remy USA 6:39 PM - 9 July, 2015
hearthis.at

I even got the verified check mark next to my profile. Early adopter...you guys need to get on this ASAP.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 8:34 PM - 9 July, 2015
One of my friends just got his 3rd strike and locked out of his account....... :-/

His page is still up and his music is still playable.... but I think only a matter of time before its taken down.

He never disputed a claim. They just took it down.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 9:21 PM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:
hearthis.at

I even got the verified check mark next to my profile. Early adopter...you guys need to get on this ASAP.

Hey Remy, is your Soundcloud page getting pulled down?
DJ Remy USA 10:44 PM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
hearthis.at

Hey Remy, is your Soundcloud page getting pulled down?

Nope not a single take down on my profile yet. I keep saying that with my chest out but I know they coming for me one day.
RonDu 1:59 PM - 10 July, 2015
Quote:
hearthis.at

I signed up upon your recommendation. Uploaded 2 rush mixes to test it out. Got an email a day later stating that my Hip-Hop Mix was number 10 on the "charts" for the week but it had less than 20 plays. Don't understand that but I ain't mad. lol. No download option it appears.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 2:27 PM - 10 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
hearthis.at

I signed up upon your recommendation. Uploaded 2 rush mixes to test it out. Got an email a day later stating that my Hip-Hop Mix was number 10 on the "charts" for the week but it had less than 20 plays. Don't understand that but I ain't mad. lol. No download option it appears.

lol..... I guess its a good start!
DJ Remy USA 9:26 PM - 10 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
hearthis.at

there is a download option on there just search around the site. Its got a smaller user base for now, when the soundcloud hatchet really goes down I imagine this will trump mixcloud, audiomack, hulkshare and anything similar. Good job now follow my profile....

you know what Ima make a new thread about it
Mr. Goodkat 11:51 PM - 10 July, 2015
91 mixes, up 2 taken down in the last 2 months, 5 in the last year.
Mr. Goodkat 11:51 PM - 10 July, 2015
91 mixes up, 2 taken down in the last 2 months, 5 in the last year.
DJ Remy USA 10:00 PM - 11 July, 2015
y'all bullsh#tin

everyone sign up on www.hearthis.at

forget sound cloud lets move on, there is decent user already over there and its growing.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 7:51 AM - 12 July, 2015
Well...... f*ck a duck...... Let's go!!!!!
DJ GaFFle 1:13 PM - 12 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
hearthis.at

So when you choose to import from Soundcloud, does the sound quality get reduced in any way?
DJ Tank 5:34 PM - 12 July, 2015
how do you get your name verified??
DJ Remy USA 5:17 AM - 13 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
hearthis.at

So when you choose to import from Soundcloud, does the sound quality get reduced in any way?

you have to be a premium user so it doesnt do that, premium users get all the features that should be free
DJ Remy USA 5:18 AM - 13 July, 2015
Quote:
how do you get your name verified??

have no clue it just happened on mine but its new so hope on
RonDu 4:04 PM - 15 July, 2015
Ok, I see they have to like your tracks then the the option to download it becomes available.
locustudios 11:43 PM - 15 July, 2015
I used an ambient sound at the beginning of the mix.
soundcloud.com
Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:56 PM - 16 July, 2015
RIP to my soundcloud page..... It was just taken down today....... 2 years, 500,000 plays and 33,000 downloads later...... :-(

Toast to my soundcloud page..... :-(
DJ Remy USA 3:24 PM - 16 July, 2015
Quote:
RIP to my soundcloud page..... It was just taken down today....... 2 years, 500,000 plays and 33,000 downloads later...... :-(

damn homie

well you can always go to the alternative
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:50 PM - 16 July, 2015
Quote:

You could have made some loot mayne!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:52 PM - 16 July, 2015
Y'all act like the Soundcloud people ain't reading this forum.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 5:39 AM - 17 July, 2015
Quote:
Y'all act like the Soundcloud people ain't reading this forum.

They probably are...... Which is why I hope that somewhere in their cold emptiness of a thing they call a heart..... somewhere it is hurting......

Like how a sell out feels when they go against something they've believed in once.....

I don't know........ I drunk off the liquor and depression..... *Pours another shot on the ground*
The Farmer 12:16 PM - 3 August, 2015
Over the years i have had the occaisional mix taken down by souncloud and they have told tou which track. I have usually edited the mix and added an intro as others have mentioned and this has then been accpted. I got used to always adding an intro to my sets and was not troubled for a while.
However recently this tactic has not worked and my last 2 mixes have had trike warnings and due to the new poicy of removing your page after 3 strikes I am not willing to uploasd anymore as I want my page to remain for the traffic & interest it gets.
I therefore have transferred all my mixes and new mixes to hearthis.at.
Also I posted a sound clip on my soundcloud explaining that all new mixes will be on hearthis.at.
This lets everyone who visits your soundcloud page where your mixes are and as i've created the notice as my copywrighted own work then technically can soundcloud do anything about it?
soundcloud.com
DJ Cee Los 6:08 AM - 7 August, 2015
Quote:

you have to be a premium user so it doesnt do that, premium users get all the features that should be free

How much for premium membership did you pay?
BJ2025 10:14 PM - 13 August, 2015
So, after reading this thread, it's pretty obvious that Soundcloud is removing more and more DJ mixes.

What I want to know, is how are there still entire companies dedicated to sharing DJ mixes that exist on Soundcloud? For example, Red Bull, Boiler Room, THUMP (Vice)...and not to mention all of the majorly popular DJs who post mixes all the time.

I'm not interested in the techniques to beat the algorithm, but I am interested in whether or not there a way to get a blanket license?
DJ Remy USA 6:43 AM - 16 August, 2015
Quote:
So, after reading this thread, it's pretty obvious that Soundcloud is removing more and more DJ mixes.

What I want to know, is how are there still entire companies dedicated to sharing DJ mixes that exist on Soundcloud? For example, Red Bull, Boiler Room, THUMP (Vice)...and not to mention all of the majorly popular DJs who post mixes all the time.

I'm not interested in the techniques to beat the algorithm, but I am interested in whether or not there a way to get a blanket license?

if there is we couldnt afford it
BJ2025 6:52 AM - 16 August, 2015
Quote:
if there is we couldnt afford it

Maybe not individually, but with this information it would be possible to "unionize" or to link up with the right labels or publishing houses etc. in order to be able to do what you do freely.

Right now we don't even know how it works, so how are we supposed to play the game intelligently?
DJ Remy USA 6:05 AM - 17 August, 2015
you make a point but to be honest I dont think anyone cares about DJs like that.
BJ2025 6:17 AM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:
you make a point but to be honest I dont think anyone cares about DJs like that.

Eh, maybe or maybe not. There are certainly a lot of popular producers and artists who want to post DJ mixes too. Those companies certainly care about them. You don't have to be solely a DJ in order to want to post DJ mixes.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:40 PM - 17 August, 2015
Again, a LOT of y'all don't understand the DJ game at all.

You LEGALLY don't have the RIGHTS to create, post and play your own REMIXES (or regular songs for that matter) for an Audience.

PERIOD.

The labels used to PAY cats like Shep Pettibone and Larry Levan to make their mixes.

There were 2 places that allowed "Remixes", that was the RADIO and CLUBS (that paid that ASCAM fee or whatever).

Mobile DJ's "technically" aren't supposed to exist....if you went' STRICTLY by the law of Song Performance....or the songs you COULD perform, nobody cared about.

Fast forward to a time when mobile DJ "Equipment" took off, of COURSE the companies want to make money...

Record companies put a blind eye to the game because it supposedly "Helped" sales of songs, UNTIL everything became digital, and folks could get 1st generation copies of songs for free....THAT was the problem.

So now they want to ENFORCE decades old rules when it comes to Song performance to cut a check.
BJ2025 1:52 PM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:
Again, a LOT of y'all don't understand the DJ game at all.

You LEGALLY don't have the RIGHTS to create, post and play your own REMIXES (or regular songs for that matter) for an Audience.

PERIOD.

The labels used to PAY cats like Shep Pettibone and Larry Levan to make their mixes.

There were 2 places that allowed "Remixes", that was the RADIO and CLUBS (that paid that ASCAM fee or whatever).

Mobile DJ's "technically" aren't supposed to exist....if you went' STRICTLY by the law of Song Performance....or the songs you COULD perform, nobody cared about.

Fast forward to a time when mobile DJ "Equipment" took off, of COURSE the companies want to make money...

Record companies put a blind eye to the game because it supposedly "Helped" sales of songs, UNTIL everything became digital, and folks could get 1st generation copies of songs for free....THAT was the problem.

So now they want to ENFORCE decades old rules when it comes to Song performance to cut a check.

That's great and all, but doesn't really address my question.

Soundcloud is partnering with major rights holders. They're also partnering with select artists, DJs, and companies. Thus, those artists, DJs, and companies *are* legally allowed to post that copyrighted music because they are receiving permission from the rights holders.

This...

Quote:

PERIOD.

...is not true at all.
 6 4:26 PM - 17 August, 2015
The music business is more complicated than a couple paragraphs.

nm
Mr. Goodkat 6:27 PM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:
Shep Pettibone and Larry Levan to make their mixes.

you realize its not 1984 rt?
Mr. Goodkat 6:30 PM - 17 August, 2015
the weird thing about the remix thing and soundcloud, is that so many of them are free if you got through tone den or another service like that.

lets say someone like james hype. dude has almost all free remixes and you have to post a comment and then free download.

there are literally hundreds of songs like this. they are usually hosted by a website, but sometimes their own(ill assume mgmt) handles it.

what makes that legal? seriously everyday there are hundreds of free boots up.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:35 PM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:
Soundcloud is partnering with major rights holders. They're also partnering with select artists, DJs, and companies. Thus, those artists, DJs, and companies *are* legally allowed to post that copyrighted music because they are receiving permission from the rights holders.

Oh werd?

Name a DJ that they've partnered with.

Then name ANY song that the Record Company gave that DJ the "Rights" to post the copywritten music.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:36 PM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:

nm

^^THIS^^
PopRoXxX 6:44 PM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

^^THIS^^

Oh yeah. Me coming from bands to DJ'ing. Shit gets real quickly!
BJ2025 7:16 AM - 18 August, 2015
Quote:

Oh werd?

Then name ANY song that the Record Company gave that DJ the "Rights" to post the copywritten music.

What do you think the "On" program is? They're partnering left and right.

From their own website: "The world’s leading audio platform debuts new creator subscriptions, including a beta Pro Partner level featuring Red Bull, Snoop Lion, Chris Hardwick, The GRAMMY®s, The-Dream, SModcast, The Guardian, Blue Mic, KQED and Blue Bottle Coffee"

Source: soundcloud.com

That was TWO YEARS AGO. You really don't think they've done *even more* since then?
johnstede 12:41 PM - 22 October, 2015
Hey guys. Thanks for a great topic. Very interesting. The 30 second before the mix does not work anymore. I had a few mashup mixes taken down as well. It's impossible now to upload and of your mixes or mashup's. Soundcloud's detection software is very good lately. I have now joined hearthis.at. This my page if you want to take a listen. hearthis.at
Lets support each other on hearthis.at
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:59 PM - 22 October, 2015
Restarted my Soundcloud page a few weeks ago... Have only been uploading my Soca/Reggae/Dancehall and Afrobeat mixes..... Mixes that have top40 or hip hop/R&B I have been taking those sections out.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:27 AM - 23 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Oh werd?

What do you think the "On" program is? They're partnering left and right.

From their own website: "The world’s leading audio platform debuts new creator subscriptions, including a beta Pro Partner level featuring Red Bull, Snoop Lion, Chris Hardwick, The GRAMMY®s, The-Dream, SModcast, The Guardian, Blue Mic, KQED and Blue Bottle Coffee"

Source: soundcloud.com

That was TWO YEARS AGO. You really don't think they've done *even more* since then?

Not at all...
d:raf 2:38 AM - 16 March, 2016
www.youredm.com

Quote:
Apple Music Overcomes Copyright, Streams Remixes, Mash-Ups & Bootlegs
Peter Rubinstein
March 15, 2016

In a defining move, streaming service Apple Music has received a leg up on competitors. Following a newly formed partnership with Dubset Media Holdings, the service now has the ability to stream remixes, mash-ups and DJ mixes for the very first time.

Dubset is an organization involved with over 14,000 publishers and record labels, allowing their extensive roster of content to be utilized and streamed without fear of copyright-oriented consequences. The secret to this ability, however, rests with a form of technology called MixBank.

Using algorithms similar to those of Youtube and Soundcloud’s copyright detection service Zefr, MixBank scans remixed content with the intent of discovering the original rights holder. The company can locate the source, compensate them accordingly and even allow rights holders to limit the amount of times their material can be used in mixes.

This new partnership, some say, is a more effective alternative for remixers and DJs than Soundcloud’s highly controversial system. By giving rights holders more control over their work and allowing listeners to access previously forbidden content, the potential for an exodus across services is now in the balance.

So far, no word has been given as to the exact starting date for Apple’s inclusion of mixes on their service.
AKIEM 2:44 AM - 16 March, 2016
Just about to post that
Mr. Goodkat 3:17 AM - 16 March, 2016
soundcloud just got murdered on the streets of austin
DJ Remy USA 2:35 PM - 16 March, 2016
Soundcloud just ripped all my mixes down they left one up there
Logisticalstyles 2:57 PM - 16 March, 2016
I wonder how Dubset's joining with Apple Music will affect my mixes on thefuture.fm considering that Dubset owns thefuture.fm? I used to post my mixes on thefuture.fm a couple of years ago. I think I even mentioned them in this and other threads. When they were first getting started they were promising to pay DJs royalties for their mixes posted to the website for streaming. It never seemed to go anywhere and I stopped uploading mixes. After reading that article I checked and sure enough my mixes are still up there. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 3:32 PM - 16 March, 2016
Hopefully this is the wave of the future!
Mr. Goodkat 4:55 PM - 16 March, 2016
soundcloud still has 100 mixes of mine up. but almost all of them are underground electronic/house/techno mixes.

i do have 2-4 mixes with commercial rap and uptempo/dance music still up(out of the 100+), but about have had several pulled down over the years(about 3-4)
AKIEM 6:32 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
Hopefully this is the wave of the future!

it could work
DJ Remy USA 2:58 PM - 17 March, 2016
www.musicbusinessworldwide.com

Soundcloud is about to be dead real soon.
d:raf 9:55 PM - 17 March, 2016
Don't count them out just yet...

www.musicbusinessworldwide.com

Quote:
Sony and SoundCloud have done the deal everyone was waiting for
March 17, 2016
By Tim Ingham

Exclusive: Sony Music Entertainment has not only licensed SoundCloud, but taken equity in the streaming business as part of the deal.

Watertight sources have told MBW that contractual terms have been agreed between both parties, following on from similar agreements with Warner Music Group in late 2014 and Universal Music Group earlier this year.

The world’s second largest record company, Sony will not only receive stock in SoundCloud, but has also been invited to participate in the Berlin-based platform’s next funding round.

Having all three majors on board means SoundCloud is now free to launch its much-mooted subscription service in the coming months.

(There is no word about Sony/ATV signing a licensing agreement for publishing rights – if one is still required. But with Sony Corp announcing a $750m acquisition of the Jackson Estate’s share in the company this week, SoundCloud must feel its chances have been given a boost.)

In addition to WMG, UMG and Sony, SoundCloud has also signed licensing agreements with Merlin, which represents 20,000 independent labels worldwide, in addition to publishing collective the NMPA.

“Sony will not only receive stock in soundcloud, but has also been invited to participate in the platform’s next funding round.”

All of these deals have been signed on the basis that SoundCloud adds a subscription tier to its offering sooner rather than later.

Last year, Sony and SoundCloud appeared to be a fair distance away from a deal.

The major removed content from some of its biggest artists in May 2015.

Sony-signed producer Madeon was upset enough to tweet that the music company was “holding [its] own artists hostage”.

Such problems have now been consigned to history.

According to SoundCloud’s latest accessible annual fiscal reports, the Berlin-based streaming service lost €39.14m ($44.19m) in 2014 on revenues of just €17.35m ($19.14m) – without any significant royalty payments to rights-holders.

Within those figures, administrative expenses (staff and other business basics) grew 67.8% to €47.74m ($52.7m) in the year.

Despite these severe losses, SoundCloud’s headcount grew by 21% to 236 people in 2014 – with an average annual wage of €79,980 ($82,253).Music Business Worldwide
Mr. Goodkat 9:59 PM - 17 March, 2016
Quote:
Sony-signed producer Madeon was upset enough to tweet that the music company was “holding [its] own artists hostage”.

he's what got one of my mixes taken down. was listed in the complaint.
DGGZ 12:50 AM - 4 May, 2016
I hate SoundCloud. I lost an account that took years to build up. I had a bunch of old mixes up. They gave me first warning. In two weeks they gave me two more and closed my account. I literally didn't have time to take that stuff down.

Now I had to start over. I have many accounts. I'm trying to get a remix up but they keep pulling it. I'm trying to figure out how. It's only two 1 bar vocal clips. I've pitched them slightly. I will just keep making dummy accounts until a version stays up for more than 24h then I'll post to a new remix account.

Yes, it's allot of work. If anyone has any pointers let me know. Eventually that ish sill stick if I have to make 50 accounts and have them all stricken because you know what?? Eff those guys!
Mr. Goodkat 1:15 AM - 4 May, 2016
put the more illegal stuff on hearthis.at

make a track with you speaking and putting a link to hearthis.at or a file hosting service

thought it was a great idea

soundcloud.com
DGGZ 2:06 AM - 5 May, 2016
Thank you! Yeah that's great advice! I actually went in that direction except I covered the samples and included a direct link to audio with Drake and Future in it. :-p let's see if it sticks.

soundcloud.com
DJ LIL M 8:54 PM - 9 May, 2016
somebody needs to make a site just for djs
R-Tistic 6:51 PM - 16 May, 2016
Quote:

LOL it's a whole, whole lot of them. Issue is they have 10% the audience of Soundcloud, and aren't as efficient, easy to use, etc. etc. Mixcloud and Mixcrate, eh I'm not a fan of either of them.
Mr. Goodkat 6:53 PM - 16 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

LOL it's a whole, whole lot of them. Issue is they have 10% the audience of Soundcloud, and aren't as efficient, easy to use, etc. etc. Mixcloud and Mixcrate, eh I'm not a fan of either of them.

this
Cletus McPoyle 3:29 PM - 17 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I agree 100% and for Mixcloud, as I had recently registered, the site isn't the really most fluid and I have not tried Mixcrate
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:30 PM - 18 May, 2016
Y'all didn't hear that SoundCloud is OFFICIALLY taking down DJ "Mixes" by default?
Mr. Goodkat 7:14 PM - 18 May, 2016
that was a false report johnny
Papa Midnight 7:19 PM - 18 May, 2016
Soundcloud refuted that report.

www.nme.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:49 PM - 18 May, 2016
My bad... I did just see it in passing, and didn't do my normal vetting process, and saw this thread bumped and initially thought the info must be true and cats were complaining....
dj_spark 12:44 PM - 18 August, 2016
I used to be on Myspace, then Postbocks back in the days, then Mixcrate.
But when SoundCloud started to rise, you would be crazy not to jump onto the Soundcloud boat, it was the freshiest thing you could have.

Everything was nice, so I went pro. At this time there was only 3 stages if I remember well, so I took the highest.

I have everything there : mixtapes, remixes, creation, bootlegs. Then one day, they start to send me notice for the bootlegs. Ok, it's fair after all, why not...

Then it was about my oldest mixtapes, that was there for years, that have huge reposts, comments, one, then two. I was upset to a point that i myself delete everything before they did !
These guys was charging me since years each month and was now pointing at me.

So I go out and tried some other dogs : heathis.at / mixcloud / audiomack and others that I have forgot.

At the end, Mixcloud was the better option for the future. The licensing, no downloading, radio type, is LEGALLY the smarter thing to have your back covered.
What I also did is using Hulkshare to host a download and I always copy/paste the link into the description.

Unfortunately, as you all know, MixCloud is not as popular as SoundCloud is, so we need a better plan...
That plan is simply call Youtube !

What I like now about youtube :
- more universal than any mix/music hosting
- more viewers
- only quality works get notice (no sd content, shitty 64kbps mono)
- your branding can now really express itself
- nice social feedback, some kind of Facebook feel
- you can fight against (c) claims (often win if you clearly explain you don't monetize and let them make money from your work)
- you can still add a download link into the description and all your social links
- it's free !
- you can make some money from it (almost did 10$ ! lol)
- cross-content is effective

On the other side :
- bootlegs/remixes is a mixed bag : got blocked only with some Rihanna
- more work to do visual
- the (c) detection also work with visual/video
- you can sometimes use an audio but not the video (so you can't video sync some artists on your remixes)

Honestly, it's was under my nose all that time and never seen it.

My actual process :
- I'm doing Mixcloud (building the future when SC will fall down)
- If the content can have some potential to reach more people or is original (I can monetize it) then I put it on YT
- Hulkshare upload : this is for people that prefer dl, and I put those links everywhere I stream. You will also notice that some shaddy indexing portals are linking to your hulkshare, giving you even more plays.

Et voilà, totally free, no more (c) hassle, more work but a wider audience.
Of course you still need to consolidate all that and get your audience datas (mailinglist or whatever).
Papa Midnight 3:25 PM - 18 August, 2016
MixCloud is starting to become a pain, as it effectively shuts out U.S. listeners if a mix has more than 3 songs by the same artist (regardless of the song duration). I'm having to mess around with song tags to get around that, but I don't think that'll last long if they start sound-scanning tracks.
dj_spark 9:15 AM - 19 August, 2016
It is to prevent people uploading full album, but I agree with you that it is a bit complicated when you want to do a megamix, tribute or anything like that with only one artist/group.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:00 PM - 20 October, 2016
Y'all know Mixcrate is a wrap, right?

www.mixcrate.com

We started Mixcrate in Spring 2010 with the ambition of building a community site where DJs can discover and connect with other DJs and their fans. It has always been our goal to provide a welcoming home for all levels of DJs - influential and up-and-coming. As a result, we built one of the most supportive DJ communities in the world.

Mixcrate has been a side project built by a handful of individuals just as passionate as the DJs we served. We have been a self-funded website - working during our free-time, balancing life while supporting our other personal endeavors.

Unfortunately, Mixcrate received a letter from a respected entity in the record industry. While Mixcrate does not believe the site violates any laws, we do not have the means to operate under current conditions. It's with deep regret that we must shut down the website.

Thank you for the support through the years. If you have enjoyed and discovered new DJs through our site, please continue supporting them and the art of DJing.

The only time a goodbye is painful is when you know you'll never say hello again, so we'll just say, we'll see you guys later.

— Mixcrate
DJ Remy USA 12:10 AM - 21 October, 2016
yep they certainly did not want to put any doe for that but its totally sad in my opinion shutting down free streaming pretty all over the web right now.
DJ Evillincoln!? 6:56 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Y'all know Mixcrate is a wrap, right?

www.mixcrate.com

We started Mixcrate in Spring 2010 with the ambition of building a community site where DJs can discover and connect with other DJs and their fans. It has always been our goal to provide a welcoming home for all levels of DJs - influential and up-and-coming. As a result, we built one of the most supportive DJ communities in the world.

Mixcrate has been a side project built by a handful of individuals just as passionate as the DJs we served. We have been a self-funded website - working during our free-time, balancing life while supporting our other personal endeavors.

Unfortunately, Mixcrate received a letter from a respected entity in the record industry. While Mixcrate does not believe the site violates any laws, we do not have the means to operate under current conditions. It's with deep regret that we must shut down the website.

Thank you for the support through the years. If you have enjoyed and discovered new DJs through our site, please continue supporting them and the art of DJing.

The only time a goodbye is painful is when you know you'll never say hello again, so we'll just say, we'll see you guys later.

— Mixcrate

Sup ya'll.. first post...
So I've been following this post closely especially the last few weeks. Basically, to sum up this whole thread, the end is near. Does this last post though have any merrit behind it tho'?? I've asked all of my DJ peeps & none of them have heard this. Same with Twitter or any searches on Google. So far, my man Johnny is the only one that has heard this.
AKIEM 7:08 PM - 21 October, 2016
hmmmm... did you check the site?
DJ Evillincoln!? 7:20 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:

Absolutely. It's business as usual. I was literally listening to a Jazz mix when I read the initial post. lol
d:raf 7:24 PM - 21 October, 2016
Are you conflating Mixcrate and Mixcloud?

Mixcrate is definitely gone... Mixcloud is not.
AKIEM 7:26 PM - 21 October, 2016
try the link... lol
Papa Midnight 7:47 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely. It's business as usual. I was literally listening to a Jazz mix when I read the initial post. lol

Are you confusing MixCloud and Mixcrate? Check the link. Johnny's message is a copy and paste.
DJ Evillincoln!? 9:30 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:

You know what... I think I am. Dag my bad... well I guess on that, did anyone of you cats actually use Mixcrate?
577er 2:08 AM - 22 October, 2016
Mixcrate was a great place to host mixes with stuff that would obviously get zapped on SoundCloud. Already miss it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:29 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
So far, my man Johnny is the only one that has heard this.

lmao...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:29 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

lmao....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:30 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

You know what... I think I am. Dag my bad... well I guess on that, did anyone of you cats actually use Mixcrate?

Yes, I used BOTH...

And I accept your apology.

And, you can trust anything I say is Gospel.
Papa Midnight 12:08 AM - 23 October, 2016
Quote:

Don't get ahead of yourself.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:54 AM - 23 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Don't get ahead of yourself.

Bless you my child.
mister_wilson 8:55 PM - 23 October, 2016
techcrunch.com

I don't think online long format mixes for free are dead. It looks to me like music industry is getting behind the concept and figuring out how to make money off of it. Since they kicked off hosting remixes earlier this month...long form mixes probably are not that far behind from a technology standpoint.

I think the music industry allowed mixcrate (and still allows soundcloud and many dj pools) to operate the way they do because the promotion and marketing is more valuable than the listens. but i think mixcrate is the first casualty because they host so many mixes of old music. a listener who goes on mixcrate to find a 90's quiet storm mix is robbing in streaming old music that doesn't need any more promotion. If that kind of thing is exclusively hosted on Apple Music and Spotify, the record companies make money off their back catalog that need little to no promotion.
Papa Midnight 4:24 PM - 10 December, 2016
CJ DJ 3:25 AM - 1 January, 2017
I uploaded a mix today and got flagged and removed in less than 20 minutes so I believe copyrighted materials are not allowed still.
towel 10:56 PM - 2 February, 2017
Still not working this week ! it was the same as CJDJ in less than 20 min my track was removed an dthe same blablabla.....thank you Soundcloud, why don't you do like youtube ??
Papa Midnight 12:12 AM - 3 February, 2017
Quote:
thank you Soundcloud, why don't you do like youtube ??

Be careful what you wish for. You won't like it when you go to play your mix, and the entire thing is muted due to one track.
towel 7:03 AM - 3 February, 2017
Ho, didn't know, I do Remix only !!
falez 10:44 AM - 3 February, 2017
Soundcloud is constantly improving their site, and I have no doubt that their
track-identifying algorithm is improving as well, so don't put in white noise or other gimmicks.
transferim 9:16 AM - 4 February, 2017
Soundcloud just sent me a message saying its my second warning. If I get one more, my account gets deleted.
rafting 9:57 AM - 6 February, 2017
Record sets with independent acts so you won't mega-corporations with money to throw away looking for more ways to take money to throw away.
Mr. Goodkat 8:19 PM - 6 February, 2017
Quote:
Record sets with independent acts so you won't mega-corporations with money to throw away looking for more ways to take money to throw away.

wut
mister_wilson 3:39 AM - 7 February, 2017
If you guys are interested to know why some of us have no problems posting DJ mixes that we don't own the original material for maybe you should go on Soundcloud...listen to some DJ mixes that have music obviously owned by UMG or some other large music conglomerate and try to figure out what we did. If you are nice and leave comments about mixes you actually like, a DJ will probably be much more likely to give you a tip or two.

www.soundcloud.com.
aroneni 7:43 PM - 13 February, 2017
www.fosshub.com
go to this site download audacity software
change the tempo to your song by atleast +5% or -5%
remember to remove all the metadata included in orignal mp3 file
save it as an mp3 and there u go !!!
for video tutorial
Watchwww.youtube.com
garyj204 8:19 PM - 26 May, 2017
Thank you all for your input. I host a radio show that streams from Scotland and re-post my episodes for folks here who have missed the show. Suddenly, I'm getting notifications from Soundcloud and while I agree that artists need to be paid, this seems arbitrary. They picked a Beatles tune and "See You again". If it is used as part of a radio program, isn't it somehow covered? Are the rules different once you re-post it? What's the deal?
Mr. Goodkat 9:26 PM - 26 May, 2017
a beatles tune? definitely not, use mixcloud or hearthis.at
support number 7:13 AM - 6 July, 2017
i don't know please you share with me on my page <a href="supportnumbers.net Numbers</a>
R-Tistic 12:51 AM - 7 July, 2017
So that report about Soundcloud actually leaving all mixes untouched is false too, right?
Papa Midnight 6:09 PM - 13 July, 2017
At the rate things are going, Soundcloud may not be around much longer.
Papa Midnight 6:12 PM - 13 July, 2017
Quote:

In case no one has seen the reports: techcrunch.com
DJ Irv 1:41 PM - 14 July, 2017
I work with someone that came from soundcloud. It's pretty bad over there.
d:raf 12:06 AM - 15 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

In case no one has seen the reports: techcrunch.com

^ Fake news (?)

blog.soundcloud.com

Quote:
SoundCloud is here to stay.

Hey everyone,

There’s an insane amount of noise about SoundCloud in the world right now. And it’s just that, noise. The music you love on SoundCloud isn’t going away, the music you shared or uploaded isn’t going away, because SoundCloud is not going away. Not in 50 days, not in 80 days or anytime in the foreseeable future. Your music is safe.

Along with each of you, we’ve built this incredible creative community of artists, podcasters, DJs, producers and more who are the driving force in pushing culture forward in the world. That’s not going to change. Last week we had to make some tough decisions to let go of some of our staff, but we did this to ensure SoundCloud remains a strong, independent company.

Thank you for the outpouring of love and support. Some of you have asked how you can help–spread the word that we’re not going anywhere and keep doing what you’re doing–creating, listening, uploading, sharing, liking, and discovering what’s new, now and next in music. SoundCloud is here to stay.

Peace,
Alex
Papa Midnight 5:24 AM - 15 July, 2017
Quote:
Fake news (?)

No. My statement was of a speculatory nature based on existing reports. It doesn't always rain when the weatherman predicts rain now does it?

However, with that said...

Quote:
Last week we had to make some tough decisions to let go of some of our staff...

I guess 40% of their workforce (173 jobs eliminated), comprised of the entirety of their San Francisco office (now closed), the London office (now closed) (www.bizjournals.com), and some of the Berlin office qualifies as "some".

If such a cut helps them turn around, then okay. But if any other company cut 40% of it's workforce in one day, and no one (not even HR nor hiring managers - hackernoon.com (there are no shortage of reports from new hires and now-former employees that state the same)) knew it was coming, then it would (rightly) throw up red flags for any outside observer.
dj_spark 9:41 AM - 15 July, 2017
Quote:

^ Fake news (?)

blog.soundcloud.com

This guy seems real btw : vojtastavik.com
d:raf 3:26 AM - 17 July, 2017
Chance the rapper to the rescue...?

www.youredm.com

Quote:
Chance The Rapper Just Saved Soundcloud
Matthew Meadow
July 14, 2017
News

Well, here you have it folks. Chance The Rapper just saved Soundcloud.

While the reality of the situation is probably infinitely more nuanced, there’s no doubt that Chance’s place on Soundcloud and his influence on music at a higher level could have a positive effect on the streaming platform.

Yesterday, when nearly all of the EDM industry insiders were calling the death knell of Soundcloud, the site quietly released a statement clarifying that they were funded through Q4, and the popularized “50 day” statistic was a load of bull.

However, this didn’t stop many people from already calling time of death, possibly leading to a self-fulfilling prophecy. And then, like an angel in the night, Chance appeared…

[tweet]

“I’m working on the SoundCloud thing,” Chance tweeted at 11am yesterday. And apparently he did just that. The man already responsible for revitalizing much of Chicago is apparently now responsible for saving one of the biggest streaming services ever.

[tweet]

[tweet]

Praise be to our new savior, I guess.
d:raf 2:21 PM - 11 August, 2017
Oh shizzle... www.digitalmusicnews.com

Quote:
SoundCloud’s Investors May Terminate the Company In 24 Hours

Paul Resnikoff August 10, 2017 20

On Friday, SoundCloud’s existing investors will determine if the company lives or dies. So you might want to back up your catalog.

The walls are caving in on SoundCloud. And its entire future is now hinging upon one vote.

Earlier, Digital Music News reported that the beleaguered streaming service was entertaining rescue investment from two groups. But according to a just-published report, those newer investors need to be approved by a bunch of older investors. And that’s not guaranteed.

The vote to rescue (or not) comes on Friday, August 11th, according to Axios writer Dan Primack. Citing a memo leaked to Axios, Primak notes that the incoming ‘rescue’ investors Raine Group and Temasek would receive preferential treatment. Which basically means that other investors would be de-prioritized, receive worsened terms, and have a harder time recovering their cash.

Ljung has warned that if the rescue package isn’t approved, the company won’t have enough money to survive. It would introduce a dangerous tailspin as employees jumped ship and the money dwindled to zero.

So essentially, a ‘no’ vote terminates the company. Or at least drastically reduces its chances of survival.

Existing investors would face some raw deal terms. In the case of an eventual fire-sale or liquidation, Raine and Temasek would get to recover their funds first, along with any other investors participating in this ‘Series F’. Sounds like a bad deal, except that the alternative is destroying SoundCloud forever.

SoundCloud is asking for an additional $170 million. The Series F sharply plunges SoundCloud’s pre-money valuation to $150 million.

One option for existing investors is to keep the company afloat and accept the bad terms. Then, work like hell to either liquidate or sell the company, a move that Ljung has previously resisted.

Others investors participating in this ‘Series F’ round include Union Square Ventures, Doughty Hanson and Atlantic Technology. So that complicates the analysis and decision matrix a bit.

Existing SoundCloud CEO Alex Ljung is obviously urging investors to vote yes. But here’s the kicker: ReCode has just reported that if the rescue round is approved, Ljung will probably be fired. In fact, a massive leadership shakeup is almost a certainty.

Accordingly, Vimeo CEO Kerry Trainor would assume the CEO helm, according to the Recode report. Whether Ljung would fight to remain CEO is another question.

Earlier, we’d heard that investors loved Ljung. But love has a funny way of turning into hate.

Over its multi-year history, SoundCloud has burned through more than $230 million. That doesn’t even include an additional $70 million in loans, undoubtedly accruing massive interest.

Meanwhile, attempts to launch a premium tier have floundered. SoundCloud Go has largely underwhelmed and failed to amass any subscribers. Spotify, meanwhile, has 60 million paying subscribers.

Incidentally, Spotify apparently passed on a deal to acquire SoundCloud. That could play into the current decision, especially the analysis of whether SoundCloud is actually sellable or not.
Papa Midnight 9:55 PM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:

Investors rescue embattled SoundCloud with $170 million lifeline
The company laid off 40 percent of its workforce in July.

arstechnica.com

Quote:

The struggling audio-hosting startup SoundCloud has secured a financial lifeline, with two investors putting up almost $170 million to help the company stay afloat, according to Billboard. As part of the deal, SoundCloud will get a new CEO, the company announced in a press release.

The German company's service is one of the most popular ways to store audio files online, but it has struggled to find a viable business model. As we reported last month, the company was forced to close its San Francisco and London offices and lay off 40 percent of its staff. The company's losses have steadily widened in recent years, reaching €51 million ($60 million) in 2015 and more than $150 million total between 2010 and 2015. Financial results for 2016 aren't publicly available yet.

Until this deal, it looked like SoundCloud could be forced to shut its doors before the end of the year. The new funding will give the company at least a couple more years to figure out how to become a profitable business. The company launched a subscription music service last year, but that didn't generate enough revenue to avoid last month's layoffs.

The company will now be led by CEO Kerry Trainor and Chief Operating Officer Michael Weissman, both of whom held similar roles at Vimeo, a video-sharing site that is a subsidiary of IAC.
Mr. Goodkat 8:58 PM - 12 August, 2017
guaranteed this is gonna go bad
CO-Creator 7:50 PM - 31 October, 2017
Has anyone heard anymore about this? www.digitaldjtips.com
DJ Remy USA 11:51 PM - 26 December, 2017
Quote:

Yea I do I have one remix on apple music. Google mixbank and sign up. The only problem is I signed up 2 years ago almost and submitted that track and they just posted it in Itunes this summer. So its not fast at all.
CO-Creator 5:11 AM - 29 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Yea I do I have one remix on apple music. Google mixbank and sign up. The only problem is I signed up 2 years ago almost and submitted that track and they just posted it in Itunes this summer. So its not fast at all.

Thanks for responding!