DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

mountain lion 62 core audio driver

swavek 10:51 AM - 9 August, 2012
since SL does not need core audio driver, and core audio driver does not need SL, AND the 62 - in addition to being one the Serato interfaces - is also advertised as an external audio interface that can be used with any audio software...

in short: hey, Rane? Serato? how about updating core audio driver to work with ML asap, without having to wait until you beta test and certify SL, which I suspect is a more complex/lenghty process?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:18 PM - 9 August, 2012
Mountain Lion is currently being tested with Rane's Core Audio drivers by Rane.

Serato is testing the Serato software with ML.

I would still always expect at least 2 months before any new OS is officially supported.
This is the nature of new OSs.

This doesn't mean that the CA drivers don't work with ML already.
Try it yourself:)
swavek 9:00 PM - 9 August, 2012
Hi Zach,

and thanks for replying, but I wouldn't have posted this message if it did work (unless there's something I don't know). My experiences thus far are:

SL seems (seems - cause I haven't actually installed ML it on my laptop to DJ with yet, but only on one of the drives in my Mac Pro to see how it goes) to work fine in ML, it outputs the sound through the 62 and all that.

But when I try to use the 62 with: Pro Tools, Peak, DSP-Quattro, or even for system sounds - 62 is not on the list of available audio devices (unlike Digidesign's 003, for example, which does show up, but does not work either).

And finally, when I select the 62 Control Panel in System Preferences, it does what someone else mentioned in another thread - it goes into a permanent loop, displaying something like (I'm back in 10.6 right now) "to select 62, system preferences has to restart".
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:44 PM - 9 August, 2012
Cool.. good to know.
I'll get this info to our engineer team and have them check it out.

Just know that we (Rane) are responsible for the CA drivers. Serato is responsible for their Scratch Live driver/software.

We'll get it sorted:)
swavek 10:12 PM - 9 August, 2012
Further to this:

I tried ML again, and noticed that I had Audio MIDI Setup open automatically on startup. I closed it, and 62 did show up on my devices list.

However, when I then open an audio app and play something, I get a very heavy clipping, with loud crackling noise and some faint music underneath, it lasts for some +/- 20 seconds, and - just like that, but itself - fades out to silence, while the file is still "playing" on the screen.

What's more, exactly the very same thing happens when I play something through SL ! (so I guess I _thought_ SL was working ok, but it's not).

As for the Control Panel behaviour, it's still looping.

Glad you're looking into it, it'd be nice to have this (CA drivers) working. I'm not likely to install ML (with all its problems) on my laptop any time soon so I'm not really fussed as far as SL goes, but I would like to have an audio interface working with ML, and frankly I'm not holding my breath for Avid to sort their end of things, so my only hope now... you know what I mean :)

Thx.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:07 PM - 10 August, 2012
Just to be clear.. you are aware that the 62 will not be seen in the 62's preference panel if SSL is open yes?

I've forwarded this thread to our engineer team.
swavek 9:57 AM - 11 August, 2012
Yes of course - I'm talking only about using it as a soundcard for various DAW's.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:25 PM - 13 August, 2012
This post was forwarded to our development team and they are looking into it.
Hold tight for now:)
swavek 11:24 AM - 23 August, 2012
whilst I'm holding tight... and holding... and holding... (how much tighter? until the new SL version is out, or will the driver be out independently of SL?)

...I have another question:

is 62 (61? 68?) class compliant (whatever that means)? or, if it's not the same - is it iPad compatible?

I just got me Auria, the most mind blowing iPad audio app out there ( iPad's equivalent of Pro Tools 10, but for a _fraction_ of the price), and I'm now looking for an USB interface I could use with it (via the Camera Connection Kit). None of my various Digidesing interfaces work, but on their user forum there was mention of some other company that just upgraded the firmware of their USB interfaces to make them iPad compatible, so my question is: are the 6X's iPad compatible, or can they be at all?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:14 PM - 23 August, 2012
Quote:
whilst I'm holding tight... and holding... and holding... (how much tighter? until the new SL version is out, or will the driver be out independently of SL?)

I don't have the answer to this but know it typically takes 2 or 3 months from the time a new OS is officially out and the time it takes a software company to get their software/drivers officially supported. This is normal and should be expected.

I'm not sure what iPad compatible would mean.
The 6X's are core audio and ASIO compatible.
They will be able to stream audio from any CA or ASIO compatible device.

With that said, you can't route audio out of an iPad outside of running the 1/8" output into a line/cd/ or aux input on a mixer. At that point its just a normal line level signal running into an input on the mixer.

Outside of that there is no connection between an iPad and a mixer.
swavek 6:17 PM - 23 August, 2012
well, as for the waiting times and all that, I thought that's what the developers' releases (or whatever it's called) were for, to give the developers time to get their products ready for when the new OS comes out. and it did work like that, too, but I can clearly see (and I don't mean Serato or Rane, this is a general observation) those times seem to be well and truly gone. never mind, I'll wait (though only for the core audio driver, I don't really care for the ML compatible SL).

as for the iPad - I assume that when you say "mixer" you actually mean the 6X, for there's a whole bunch of USB audio interfaces that give you up to 16 tracks in on the iPad:

(this is from Auria manual):

"* USB Class 2 Compliant interfaces - These require an Apple Camera Connection Kit connected between the iPad and interface. Examples include the RME Fireface UCX (up to 8 inputs), Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL (up to 18 inputs), and the Focusrite Scarlett series interfaces (up to 18 inputs).

For the latest list of tested USB interfaces please refer to the Auria Interface Compatibility page on www.auriaapp.com. Please note that some USB interfaces require a powered USB hub between the Camera Connection Kit and the interface. The list of compatible USB Class 2 devices is changing rapidly, so please check both with the audio interface manufacturer and the Auria website’s Support section for the most up-to-date information.

When Auria detects a compatible audio interface connected through either through MFi or the Camera Connection Kit the “INT” indicator on the top Menu Bar will change to “USB”, and the list of available inputs will update."

and since the 6Xs are both mixers AND USB sound cards, and they're self powered to boot (some USB audio interfaces do not work merely because they're USB powered and there's not enough juice from iPad's USB to power them), I thought it either worked (tested it - it don't!) or could be made to work (by updating the firmware or whatever), giving you yet another edge over other similar products in the process. just a thought...
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:02 PM - 23 August, 2012
Thanks for sharing that. Super cool app:)
I'm checking with our head engineer about this. I'll report back once I hear back from him.
Karl W 11:01 PM - 11 November, 2012
Can I please get that driver for the 68? :)
Mr. Goodkat 3:13 AM - 26 April, 2016
what drivers do you use to not make SDJ spin outta control in OS Mountain Lion.

i went back SSL works, SDJ spins backwards as fast as possible after loading a track?

thanks
DJ Guayo 3:56 PM - 26 April, 2016
Quote:
what drivers do you use to not make SDJ spin outta control in OS Mountain Lion.

i went back SSL works, SDJ spins backwards as fast as possible after loading a track?

thanks

I'm having trouble with the Rane 62 driver on Serato DJ (Mavericks) as well. It sounds like a low cut filter when playing a song.

Althought i'm still using SSL for live performances, I would like to experiment with SDJ.
Mr. Goodkat 8:07 AM - 27 April, 2016
sdj spinning both loaded tracks backwards in internal??
WarpNote 11:18 PM - 27 April, 2016
Quote:
sdj spinning both loaded tracks backwards in internal??
Forward/Reverse switch: Press "Q" for left deck, "A" for right deck.
Mr. Goodkat 1:43 AM - 28 April, 2016
not it, it will change direction but shows no pitch control or even stop if you hit play, just keeps going.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 3:35 AM - 28 April, 2016
Hey Mr. Goodkat,

If you're still having trouble with this please open a support request over here -> support.serato.com

Cheers :)
Mr. Goodkat 7:40 AM - 28 April, 2016
thanks jl