DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Are You A Button Pushing Fake DJ?

DjWoody 2:11 AM - 1 August, 2012
You've just been OWNED by Dj Sneak!!!

soundcloud.com

----------------------------------

In the beginning there was the DJ
The DJ built the groove
Felt the groove
Mixed the groove
Two turntables and a mixer!

The DJ was your conductor
He was your guide
He was your Guarantee that you were going to lose your mind

But somethin’s happening to all that
All this hype
All these gawwwd Damn — lap ——-top DJs
Every mother fucka is callin themselves
A Deeeee Jaaaay

Just cause you got yoself a laaaaaap top
Don’t mean you’re a Deeeee Jay.

Get the fuuuuuuck out

Lemme tell you, you’ve got to mix with your ears
You learns to mix with your ears
You’ve gotta watch the floor
You’ve gotta pick the right tracks
And you’ve got to build the groove

Not with wave forms
Not with sync buttons
Not with the latest mash-ups or gimmicks
Not with the latest programs
You’ve got to build the groove
With two turntables and a mix
But what they don’t understand
Is that you pay your price
You earn your spot
You get your shit right.

You got to get it right

We’ve gotta spread this truth
Of all these button pushin
Fake ass
No mixin’ fake DJs

It’s just gotta stop
We gotta STOP!
THE FAKE DJs

We gotta STOP!
THE FAKE DJs

Take your pre recorded
Button pushing
Fake ass mixin
Bullshit

And get the fuuuuuuck out.

Fake ass DJs
Everywhere I look I see a bunch of fake ass DJs

Now this isn’t a dis to the innovators
You’ve just got to respect the architechs
The originators
Like Larry Levan
Frankie Knuckles
Juan Atkins
Derrick May
Kevin Saunderson
Eddie Folks
Jeff Mills
Derrick Carter
DJ Sneak
Doc Martin
Louie Vega
Kenny Dope
Danny Tenaglia
Francois K
Tony Humphries
Carl Craig
Joe Claussell
Timothy Regisford
Danny Krivit
Farley Jackmaster Funk
d:raf 3:25 AM - 1 August, 2012
<tracking for posterity>
DJ Reflex 4:08 AM - 1 August, 2012
I thought DJs just play other people's music...
BERTO 4:33 AM - 1 August, 2012
Dnsneaks been trolling for a while now lol hes mad bc edc hasnt booked him
Dj sneak***
Hes twitter trolling worse than deadmau5
BERTO 4:36 AM - 1 August, 2012
there are alot of new computer djs but hey technology Exponentially expanding and you cant deny it...
djnonstopla323 5:00 AM - 1 August, 2012
So much hate lol ...so what are you doing in the serato forum, provably cuz you use a laptop just saying.
BERTO 5:58 AM - 1 August, 2012
Serato runs on laptops?
skinnyguy 6:42 AM - 1 August, 2012
i'm a button pushing REAL dj
Papa Midnight 8:36 AM - 1 August, 2012
I find it really difficult to listen to someone complain about waveforms, sync, latest programs, etc. on the Serato forums; or says that you've gotta have two turntables, but is pictured on their own website with CDJs (which is what these same guys were knocking the hell out of 10 years ago before they moved on to complaining about Serato. Then they moved onto saying controllers suck, but TT's and CDJ's are ok - wait, wha...? Then, it's not all controllers suck (after a few were talking about the NS7 and V7, then actually tried them and had nothing further to say - many of them even wanted to know how to use them with SSL. I won't call names).

I could launch into a diatribe on how it's only some DJs who care what other DJs use (allow me to assure that most venue owners and promoters (from bars to superclubs) don't give a damn what you use as long as you make them as much money for as little cost to them. As for your crowd...

To quote M.Bezzle, loosely...
Quote:
Quote:

I won DMC Champion 3 years in a row!

Cool, can you play The Wobble now?
phatbob 10:23 AM - 1 August, 2012
They probably should have left Francios K off that list 'cos he's been playing off Traktor with a controller for years now.

True innovators still innovate. Screw holding on to the past because it feels 'real'.
str8nger 2:13 PM - 1 August, 2012
this is so ignorant,
jprime 3:26 PM - 1 August, 2012
He's pushing some peoples buttons. Oh the irony.
DjWoody 4:22 PM - 1 August, 2012
I'm not complaining about anything. I'm just posting a song DJ Sneak made. Like someone else said, DJ Sneak has been trolling for a while and has been "pushing some peoples buttons."
DJ DisGrace 4:34 PM - 1 August, 2012
fix my sync?
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:40 PM - 1 August, 2012
Quote:
I find it really difficult to listen to someone complain about waveforms, sync, latest programs, etc. on the Serato forums; or says that you've gotta have two turntables, but is pictured on their own website with CDJs (which is what these same guys were knocking the hell out of 10 years ago before they moved on to complaining about Serato. Then they moved onto saying controllers suck, but TT's and CDJ's are ok - wait, wha...? Then, it's not all controllers suck (after a few were talking about the NS7 and V7, then actually tried them and had nothing further to say - many of them even wanted to know how to use them with SSL. I won't call names).

I could launch into a diatribe on how it's only some DJs who care what other DJs use (allow me to assure that most venue owners and promoters (from bars to superclubs) don't give a damn what you use as long as you make them as much money for as little cost to them. As for your crowd...

Quote:
Quote:

:)
DjWoody 4:42 PM - 1 August, 2012
Quote:
fix my sync?

ROTFL.....
Mighty Dragon Sounds 7:26 PM - 1 August, 2012
I am just coming into this..... whats going on now?????

Oh.....
DJ Boss Sounds 7:48 PM - 1 August, 2012
Quote:
You've just been OWNED by Dj Sneak!!!

soundcloud.com

----------------------------------

In the beginning there was the DJ
The DJ built the groove
Felt the groove
Mixed the groove
Two turntables and a mixer!

The DJ was your conductor
He was your guide
He was your Guarantee that you were going to lose your mind

But somethin’s happening to all that
All this hype
All these gawwwd Damn — lap ——-top DJs
Every mother fucka is callin themselves
A Deeeee Jaaaay

Just cause you got yoself a laaaaaap top
Don’t mean you’re a Deeeee Jay.

Get the fuuuuuuck out

Lemme tell you, you’ve got to mix with your ears
You learns to mix with your ears
You’ve gotta watch the floor
You’ve gotta pick the right tracks
And you’ve got to build the groove

Not with wave forms
Not with sync buttons
Not with the latest mash-ups or gimmicks
Not with the latest programs
You’ve got to build the groove
With two turntables and a mix
But what they don’t understand
Is that you pay your price
You earn your spot
You get your shit right.

You got to get it right

We’ve gotta spread this truth
Of all these button pushin
Fake ass
No mixin’ fake DJs

It’s just gotta stop
We gotta STOP!
THE FAKE DJs

We gotta STOP!
THE FAKE DJs

Take your pre recorded
Button pushing
Fake ass mixin
Bullshit

And get the fuuuuuuck out.

Fake ass DJs
Everywhere I look I see a bunch of fake ass DJs

Now this isn’t a dis to the innovators
You’ve just got to respect the architechs
The originators
Like Larry Levan
Frankie Knuckles
Juan Atkins
Derrick May
Kevin Saunderson
Eddie Folks
Jeff Mills
Derrick Carter
DJ Sneak
Doc Martin
Louie Vega
Kenny Dope
Danny Tenaglia
Francois K
Tony Humphries
Carl Craig
Joe Claussell
Timothy Regisford
Danny Krivit
Farley Jackmaster Funk

+10000000000000000000000000000000000
Papa Midnight 10:08 PM - 1 August, 2012
^ Here comes this guy.... <_<
DJ GaFFle 1:48 AM - 2 August, 2012
Quote:
I thought DJs just play other people's music...

Cover bands are guilty of it too...
echa1945mf 3:32 AM - 2 August, 2012
i used to love and respect sneak so much , but seeing his twitter trolling these days .. hmmm this dude has major jealous issues,seriously
BERTO 3:56 AM - 2 August, 2012
Quote:
i used to love and respect sneak so much , but seeing his twitter trolling these days .. hmmm this dude has major jealous issues,seriously

It happens though its beef, music beef has been keeping "careers" alive forever now, hes running against the edm tremd some people "respect" that rebel additude (non conformist) but his twitter trashing of producers that sell out arenas make him look like a jealous internet thug
d:raf 6:52 AM - 2 August, 2012
Kool Moe Dee vs. LL Cool J = favorite music "beef" of all time.

I might buy that song just for the novelty factor; this is the first official "format diss" song I've heard.
phatbob 9:27 AM - 2 August, 2012
I might buy it and play it on Itch. I'll sync that bastard up and we'll see if the universe folds in on itself and implodes...
DJ Reflex 9:10 PM - 2 August, 2012
It would open a portal to the 23rd dimension!
skinnyguy 1:02 AM - 3 August, 2012
those button pushers are "more real" than that smirnoff dj.
MrHardTaHandle 7:02 AM - 3 August, 2012
Quote:
Kool Moe Dee vs. LL Cool J = favorite music "beef" of all time.

I might buy that song just for the novelty factor; this is the first official "format diss" song I've heard.

hahaha!!!! Format Diss...i guess on this issue i fall in between the cracks...I like Tables, CDJs and controlers I prefer my techs but if a person can do the same scratches and juggles i can do on cdj and/or controler(excluding a ns7 or v7 lol) they have my respect cause i cant do that but in the end its all about bringing the music to the crowd and your contribution to the art form we call Djing

p.s. i want a ns7 and also a vci 300 to do some mixes at work lol

peace
Logisticalstyles 1:25 PM - 3 August, 2012
I WISH I could bring my NS7 to work. There would be ZERO work accomplished.
Papa Midnight 8:07 PM - 3 August, 2012
^

Ladies, and Gentlemen...
I present unto thee,
a lesson in the importance of proper grammar!

Quote:

This implies he wants to take an NS7 and a VCI-300 to do mixes at work.

However, when proper sentence structure and punctuation is used...

Quote:
p.s.: I want an NS7, and I would also like a vci 300 to do some mixes at work, lol

We now know that he would not only like an NS7, but he would also like to have a VCI-300 that he can use to make mixes while at work!

Grammar is everything :P
AKIEM 8:13 PM - 3 August, 2012
I read it as he wants the NS7 and VCI-300 to do his job for him, mixing.
d:raf 11:41 PM - 3 August, 2012
We should all be ashamed of ourselves...

smartcontentz.hubpages.com

Quote:
Why DJs should play vinyl and not use computers

Nothing beats technics, concord needles and vinyl

Over the past couple of years more and more DJs have converted to using computers to mix with. It's boring and should be outlawed from all serious clubs immediately.

Ok if you're a wedding DJ and have to play shlock and 80s tunes and requests and cannot possibly haul around kilos of records or CDs then I can understand why computer DJing is for you; otherwise, stop it now. And I'll give you 3 good reasons why.

Firstly, and most importantly, the sound quality is inferior. Using CDs is bad enough but using tiny MP3 etc files is terrible. There's a reason why MP3s are such small files, and that's because the alogrithm has 'taken out' a lot of the sound. On headphones you don't notice. In a club you do. Nothing sounds better than concord needles on a vinyl. The sound is fresh, organic and full. Especially for the lower frequencies of bass found commonly in techno and drum and bass. And furthermore, sound is transmitted nearly instantaneously through needles whereas there's often a lag with computers, particularly old computers with small rams.

Secondly, it ruins the visual appeal. Nothing beats seeing a DJ cueing up the vinyl and dropping in the next tune in just the right place and really hearing it. Also watching a DJ show his or her mastery by scratching vinyl is mesmerizing. It makes the DJ a musician and an awesome spectacle. It's live and always original because no 2 mixes or scratches can ever be exactly the same. With a computer they can be and that is boring and not worth paying to watch. I hate DJs who use serato and so give the impression they are playing vinyl. Watch them carefully - they never change the vinyl. It's window dressing.

And thirdly, computer mixing is often cheating. The computer programs have beat counters, analytics and even beat matching to do all the hard work for the DJ. Anybody can quickly sound as good as Carl Cox with some of the computer programs on the market, which is an insult to Carl Cox who is a god on the decks.

Luckily British clubs are not falling for this second rate rubbish and the DJs lose respect for pulling out their apple computers. Unfortunately, in Tokyo it's becoming more and more common for DJs to bore the crowd with their heads stuck in their computer screens. Even Tokyo based DJs are using computers - I presume because they aren't competent with vinyl or are too lazy to bring their record bags. I saw DJ Marky in womb last year and he broke my heart when he played 99% of his set using serato. Holding a deck upside down and scratching is farcical and belongs in a circus and not on the dance floor. That same year and again in Womb in Tokyo, I saw Ed Rush and Optical use 2 CDs all night long. It was pretty much impossible to hear the mixes. We the consumers who fork out big money to see these 'stars' deserve a lot better.

So if you want to be a DJ or take up mixing for a hobby then please buy decks and good needles and do it properly. Besides computers crash and then you'll look like a right twit while silence pervades the room while you re-boot.

As a footnote, my mate saw LTJ Bukem in Argentina the other day. He played a vinyl set - not a CD or computer in sight. Good to see the pioneers still holding true to their roots.
sacrilicious 2:05 AM - 4 August, 2012
Quote:
With a computer they can be and that is boring and not worth paying to watch. I hate DJs who use serato and so give the impression they are playing vinyl. Watch them carefully - they never change the vinyl. It's window dressing.

Ha

Quote:
That same year and again in Womb in Tokyo, I saw Ed Rush and Optical use 2 CDs all night long. It was pretty much impossible to hear the mixes..

What?
MrHardTaHandle 3:04 AM - 4 August, 2012
Quote:
^

Ladies, and Gentlemen...
I present unto thee,
a lesson in the importance of proper grammar!

Quote:

This implies he wants to take an NS7 and a VCI-300 to do mixes at work.

However, when proper sentence structure and punctuation is used...

Quote:
p.s.: I want an NS7, and I would also like a vci 300 to do some mixes at work, lol

We now know that he would not only like an NS7, but he would also like to have a VCI-300 that he can use to make mixes while at work!

Grammar is everything :P

you're right that is a a grammatical error on my behalf but what i meant to say was I want a ns7 but also i would like a vci-300 to take to work with me to do mix on break lol
DJ Reflex 3:26 AM - 4 August, 2012
I still flip my records once in a while just to show the crowd that I'm using vinyl (at weddings mind you). It's just a show obviously, no real musical value. But hey, aren't we in the entertainment business? I even bring some old crappy records that I'll never play and spin them on my fingers at larger dance parties. It's all how you entertain the crowd.

Serato has done nothing to undermine the entertainment value of a DJ. I watch the videos with DJ Vajra and Mix Master Mike. These guys USE the technology to put on more advanced shows than they could ever do with straight vinyl.

As far as sound quality - yeah, good point! No arguments there. For some, it's not much of an issue (high bit rates and quality samples). For others, it's about how much can I cram onto my hard drive no matter how bad it sounds.

I bought Scratch Live when it first came out and have never looked back. I started on vinyl and did CDs for a while, but with Serato, I am free to step up my game - not regress into lazy DJ habits and let the computer do the work.
Papa Midnight 6:53 AM - 4 August, 2012
Quote:
We should all be ashamed of ourselves...

smartcontentz.hubpages.com

Quote:
Why DJs should play vinyl and not use computers

Nothing beats technics, concord needles and vinyl

Over the past couple of years more and more DJs have converted to using computers to mix with. It's boring and should be outlawed from all serious clubs immediately.

Ok if you're a wedding DJ and have to play shlock and 80s tunes and requests and cannot possibly haul around kilos of records or CDs then I can understand why computer DJing is for you; otherwise, stop it now. And I'll give you 3 good reasons why.

Firstly, and most importantly, the sound quality is inferior. Using CDs is bad enough but using tiny MP3 etc files is terrible. There's a reason why MP3s are such small files, and that's because the alogrithm has 'taken out' a lot of the sound. On headphones you don't notice. In a club you do. Nothing sounds better than concord needles on a vinyl. The sound is fresh, organic and full. Especially for the lower frequencies of bass found commonly in techno and drum and bass. And furthermore, sound is transmitted nearly instantaneously through needles whereas there's often a lag with computers, particularly old computers with small rams.

Secondly, it ruins the visual appeal. Nothing beats seeing a DJ cueing up the vinyl and dropping in the next tune in just the right place and really hearing it. Also watching a DJ show his or her mastery by scratching vinyl is mesmerizing. It makes the DJ a musician and an awesome spectacle. It's live and always original because no 2 mixes or scratches can ever be exactly the same. With a computer they can be and that is boring and not worth paying to watch. I hate DJs who use serato and so give the impression they are playing vinyl. Watch them carefully - they never change the vinyl. It's window dressing.

And thirdly, computer mixing is often cheating. The computer programs have beat counters, analytics and even beat matching to do all the hard work for the DJ. Anybody can quickly sound as good as Carl Cox with some of the computer programs on the market, which is an insult to Carl Cox who is a god on the decks.

Luckily British clubs are not falling for this second rate rubbish and the DJs lose respect for pulling out their apple computers. Unfortunately, in Tokyo it's becoming more and more common for DJs to bore the crowd with their heads stuck in their computer screens. Even Tokyo based DJs are using computers - I presume because they aren't competent with vinyl or are too lazy to bring their record bags. I saw DJ Marky in womb last year and he broke my heart when he played 99% of his set using serato. Holding a deck upside down and scratching is farcical and belongs in a circus and not on the dance floor. That same year and again in Womb in Tokyo, I saw Ed Rush and Optical use 2 CDs all night long. It was pretty much impossible to hear the mixes. We the consumers who fork out big money to see these 'stars' deserve a lot better.

So if you want to be a DJ or take up mixing for a hobby then please buy decks and good needles and do it properly. Besides computers crash and then you'll look like a right twit while silence pervades the room while you re-boot.

As a footnote, my mate saw LTJ Bukem in Argentina the other day. He played a vinyl set - not a CD or computer in sight. Good to see the pioneers still holding true to their roots.

blogs.laweekly.com
blogs.laweekly.com <-- Please point me to a single person in this crowd who cared that he wasn't using real Vinyl.
Robert W 7:21 AM - 4 August, 2012
That's why i dont support these Mixtape DJs, like DJ Clue, DJ Drama, DJ Kay Slay, ect. They dont do any mixing, blending, or scratching what so ever. They just hit the play button and shout annoying rubbish over their songs so other DJs wont use them. Now DJs like Rectangle and Green Lantern i will respect & support since they know how how to do it right!
DJ GaFFle 4:29 PM - 4 August, 2012
Quote:
blogs.laweekly.com <-- Please point me to a single person in this crowd who cared that he wasn't using real Vinyl.

A hoard of fist-pumping drones... I don't value their opinion. If he were to slap on a vinyl track right next to a computer track, I'm sure the crowd would hear AND FEEL the bass and sound quality difference.

That being said... I'm still not switching back to vinyl; computer DJ'ing is just too convenient. I just wish production sound quality of music would increase and over-normalizing of tracks would stop.
d:raf 6:13 PM - 4 August, 2012
I'll gladly play vinyl if the promoter agrees to my $100 vinyl surcharge. Otherwise, meh.

I don't get a boner from watching DJs use records at all; looking down at the grooves vs. looking horizontally at the computer screen makes no difference to me. I'm more interested in what's being played.
Papa Midnight 6:40 PM - 4 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

A hoard of fist-pumping drones... I don't value their opinion. If he were to slap on a vinyl track right next to a computer track, I'm sure the crowd would hear AND FEEL the bass and sound quality difference.

Hate to tell you this, but that "Hoard of Fist-Pumping Drones" (sic) are what pays the bills, even at the parties we do. They're no different from the hordes of persons brainwashed by so-called "Hip Hop" today, the only difference is they dance to a different genre of music. Also, considering today's loudness wars (and the fact that no one over 20 these days seems to have hearing for crap), I seriously doubt they'd know difference.
Papa Midnight 6:40 PM - 4 August, 2012
Quote:
I don't get a boner from watching DJs use records at all; looking down at the grooves vs. looking horizontally at the computer screen makes no difference to me. I'm more interested in what's being played.

...and I can most assure you the crowd doesn't either.
Jader 8:55 PM - 5 August, 2012
how would you even get any new music on vinyl? while you are keeping it real with the wax only set, the other guy might be killing it with all the new hot shit.
BERTO 9:17 PM - 5 August, 2012
Quote:
how would you even get any new music on vinyl? while you are keeping it real with the wax only set, the other guy might be killing it with all the new hot shit.

Only sneak can get the vinyl versions of mp3 files
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 3:06 AM - 6 August, 2012
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You Speak The Truth!
WileECoyote 12:27 PM - 6 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
crowd...

Quote:
Quote:

:)

That's funny. .. :LMAO
DJ RaGu 7:12 PM - 6 August, 2012
Lets just go back to the stone age while were at it too.
revancheX 7:13 PM - 6 August, 2012
Quote:

He has his own dub plate press. Because an analog version of a digital file is just going to sound better because...well, because....BECAUSE BECAUSE BECAUSE THE VINYL BIGOTS ARE ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS RIGHT ABOUT THIS AND YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY BE RIGHT.
CMOS 7:38 PM - 6 August, 2012
I stopped reading after this:

Quote:
And furthermore, sound is transmitted nearly instantaneously through needles whereas there's often a lag with computers, particularly old computers with small rams.

lol@small rams. flatholmisland.files.wordpress.com
dj poisonous handz 7:41 PM - 6 August, 2012
damn man! just let the pushers live! swedish push mafia! deadpu5h!
VDJ ASTRO 3:16 AM - 10 August, 2012
Wow I'm glad I am open minded cause the guy that started this discussion is very ignorant on the Dj game all the greatest Dj's have evolved and use serato or traktor, may be he can't afford to evolve and his career ended with lime wire.

And by the way be original and dont copy " in the beginning there was jack, and jack had a groove. Just sayin

Respect " A real Dj mixes music any way possible and makes crowds go nuts. Love your Dj skills or get a new career don't hate.

Peace brotha and may the Vives be with you.
DJ Tino C 5:30 AM - 10 August, 2012
I understand where he is coming from in the fact that "anybody can be a DJ now as long as you have a hard drive and a controller, as to before you needed to lug around crates of records, turntables, etc, thus taking away from the "art" of DJing. So basically if you weren't REALLY into music, you wouldn't even attempt to DJ. Having been on both sides of the fence, I can sympathize, but I'm not gonna hate. Controllers, and effect modules have opened up a whole new creative world to DJing. It also depends what your specific genre specialty is as well. Mine is Hip Hop, Reggae, and Reggaeton, so I still use 1200's, but with a Rane 62Z. Here's the bottom line, things evolve, its the way of things. More power to you guys smashing your buttons IF you got skills and are getting paid. Thats what it comes down to.....Money, skills, and love what you do!
VDJ ASTRO 6:07 AM - 10 August, 2012
Quote:
I understand where he is coming from in the fact that "anybody can be a DJ now as long as you have a hard drive and a controller, as to before you needed to lug around crates of records, turntables, etc, thus taking away from the "art" of DJing. So basically if you weren't REALLY into music, you wouldn't even attempt to DJ. Having been on both sides of the fence, I can sympathize, but I'm not gonna hate. Controllers, and effect modules have opened up a whole new creative world to DJing. It also depends what your specific genre specialty is as well. Mine is Hip Hop, Reggae, and Reggaeton, so I still use 1200's, but with a Rane 62Z. Here's the bottom line, things evolve, its the way of things. More power to you guys smashing your buttons IF you got skills and are getting paid. Thats what it comes down to.....Money, skills, and love what you do!

I too have done the crate carrying even threw an event in 97 at mount charleston with a generator, but bottom line the art of mixing music will always be there no matter what you use. I remember when people used to tag with paint brushes and rollers, then tatters evolved and started creating different caps for their Crylon cans making their jobs easier, and their art skills got broader.

I guess my point is if you get tools that make you better use them this does not make every one a Dj , just like carying a gun doesn't make people cops.
DJ Tino C 6:08 AM - 10 August, 2012
I feel you bro!
VDJ ASTRO 6:11 AM - 10 August, 2012
Ps just playing tracks randomly doesn't make some one a Dj I think the vast variety of pro Djs don't feel intimidated by other Djs that don't know the art. My 57 and 62 have buttons for cues and effects so I think that makes us all push Djs . But I consider my self an artist pro push vinyl Dj.:)
DJMark 6:28 AM - 10 August, 2012
I do wish that available storage would hurry up and increase (seems like drive sizes have stalled out in the last few years) so we could get past "The Lossy Compression Era" of audio. That's about the only point I can find any agreement on.

Vinyl (in real life, not remembered fantasy-land) often sounded like total shit. The whole "fetish over vinyl" thing really only got started as a reaction to record labels threatening to stop pressing vinyl at the end of the 80's...a time long before adequate CD/digital equipment for DJ's existed. And at a time when many engineers really hadn't learned how to properly master CD's yet (or worse, the labels would use the same premasters intended for vinyl to make CD's, with dismal results).

A *house* DJ complaining about "lag" with control-vinyl? Even with Final Scratch 1 running on a Pentium 3 that wouldn't have been an issue (though there was plenty else to complain about LOL).
revancheX 6:08 PM - 10 August, 2012
Quote:
but with a Rane 62Z.

And I know I'm preaching to the choir here. But what is a Rane 62Z (or 57, 61, 68) really?

IT'S A MIDI CONTROLLER.

And what is an SL4 (etc)?

YOU GUESSED IT.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:27 PM - 10 August, 2012
Quote:

YOU GUESSED IT.

....soundcards?
revancheX 6:34 PM - 10 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

YOU GUESSED IT.

....soundcards?

Well, it's also a MIDI controller as it does the interpretation of the timecode.
revancheX 6:37 PM - 10 August, 2012
Quote:
Well, it's also a MIDI controller as it does the interpretation of the timecode.

(Well, HID, actually. A lot of so-called MIDI controllers are based on USB-HID. But the old terminology sticks I guess).
Hitman303 7:22 PM - 10 August, 2012
how much is a ZJ
phatbob 7:32 PM - 10 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

(Well, HID, actually. A lot of so-called MIDI controllers are based on USB-HID. But the old terminology sticks I guess).

We digress, but an SL4 is not an HID device. It is an audio interface which interprets timecode through audio and outputs other audio. No 'human' required.
revancheX 7:34 PM - 10 August, 2012
Quote:
[We digress, but an SL4 is not an HID device. It is an audio interface which interprets timecode through audio and outputs other audio. No 'human' required.

You're right, this is where such a discussion can lead to a lot of pedantic wankery. :D

I think this is where ITCH came from in the first place, though--the HID signals for the platters on an ITCH console are similar at least in principles to the signals from a Rane box.
AKIEM 11:51 PM - 10 August, 2012
What's this button do?
DJ Reflex 12:17 AM - 11 August, 2012
Not THAT button! NO....
DJ LIL M 12:51 AM - 11 August, 2012
buttons makes a clicking noise
Papa Midnight 1:06 AM - 11 August, 2012
Quote:
What's this button do?

Watchwww.youtube.com
revancheX 1:33 AM - 11 August, 2012
Quote:
Not THAT button! NO....

NEVER PUSH THE RED BUTTON!
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:46 AM - 11 August, 2012
Quote:
What's this button do?

Quote:
Not THAT button! NO....

Quote:
buttons makes a clicking noise

ROTFL
D Jay Cee 2:42 AM - 6 September, 2013
lets see, bedroom DJ with vinyl vs. button pushing DJ getting paid......yeah, no argument there.
I started with vinyl (AND cassettes!!), moved to CDs, retired, came back to MP3. I have 150GB of high quality music (320Kbps) that would equate to about a ton of vinyl. I play parties and weddings that request such a diverse range of music that it would not be ideal to use vinyl.
BUT...I get paid and my overhead is relatively low. I love pushing buttons at the ATM machine!
blackavenger 3:03 AM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
I have 150GB of high quality music (320Kbps)

You call 320CBR high quality music? Okay.
Papa Midnight 4:02 AM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

It's higher quality... but has nothing on Lossless (F/A)LAC or Uncompressed PCM Audio.
revancheX 5:19 AM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's higher quality... but has nothing on Lossless (F/A)LAC or Uncompressed PCM Audio.

Most people who say they can tell the difference actually can't. It requires an audiophile setup and ears that haven't been toasted by years of clubbing. Most venues don't qualify. Even at the place here that has the Funktion One, it barely matters.
blackavenger 8:15 AM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
but has nothing on Lossless (F/A)LAC or Uncompressed PCM Audio.

This is what I consider "high" quality music. In fact, nearly my entire library is comprised of such. I stopped buying MP3s a long time ago, even before Serato started to support FLAC.
Try playing a 320 on a loud-ass system and tell me that you can't tell the difference.
blackavenger 8:18 AM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
Most people who say they can tell the difference actually can't. It requires an audiophile setup and ears that haven't been toasted by years of clubbing. Most venues don't qualify. Even at the place here that has the Funktion One, it barely matters.

I disagree.
dj jamalot 2:30 PM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
lets see, bedroom DJ with vinyl vs. button pushing DJ getting paid......yeah, no argument there. BUT...I get paid and my overhead is low. I love pushing buttons at the ATM machine!
I totally agree but most here don't see that point, They think your a sell out because you choose to use a controller where they would use DVS.
AKIEM 4:48 PM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I disagree.

Agreed.
Dj matty k 4:53 PM - 6 September, 2013
Who cares what format you play in unless it really poor like 128 , no one would tell the difference , everyone in the club is so pissed they come and ask for a song played 2 song previous , so it proves they don't listen anyway so a different format with little difference won't matter
AKIEM 4:56 PM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
Who cares what format you play in unless it really poor like 128 , no one would tell the difference , everyone in the club is so pissed they come and ask for a song played 2 song previous , so it proves they don't listen anyway so a different format with little difference won't matter

Clubs arnt the only place a DJ spins... Just saying.
Papa Midnight 9:46 PM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I disagree.

I also disagree, and so does my last hearing test; and the fact that I wear ear plugs when I DJ (and if go clubbing myself).
Niro 8:13 PM - 7 September, 2013
Man you guys and your snobby attitudes. I'm with DJ Jamalot, who cares about the equipment or files you're using, as long as you're rocking the party and cashing checks the next day. I made 100 bucks last night and all I had to do was push play on my iphone 4 times. I got to chill out at the bar, have some drinks and listen to some of my favorite mixes. I'm cashin out, YOLO.
dj jamalot 3:31 PM - 8 September, 2013
I play at a few different clubs where I have residencies at and to be truthful I can play on my 1200 or my cdj rig and people don't care but funny thing I get more interest in equipment when I use my DDJ SX I don't know why I rock the same but I guess it's the blue buttons the chicks love it, I also use serato remote and trigger efx or drops and shit while I'm cruising around with my iPad or iphone but if needed I can break out the 1200's Andy big cans to look the part the checks stays the same isn't that what it's all about? Or is it for the love? If it doesn't make dollars it don't make sense $$$.
dj jamalot 4:16 PM - 8 September, 2013
So i just finished week??? I forget as I haven't had a weekend off in 7 years unlike some of the "Real" Dj's, I use all my rigs and lately it's been the DDJ SX... It just works, My guys all love it they just show up and show out it stays in the club. It really does not matter if you dropping the right songs at the right time, Nothing can replace that chill like i got last night with a bunch of 20 somethings and i dropped classics they heard in high school middle school whatever... It gave me goose bumbs to hear them scream, Yup and i was pushin buttons like a Mofo and i'm pushing some more today when i hit the ATM well not really I just deposited my check from my Iphone.
dj jamalot 4:18 PM - 8 September, 2013
we don't use 2 computers in the booth I was downloading some songs i didn't have on the iMac for my set just for the record...