DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

using acapelleas live

BIGG BEAR 1:59 AM - 29 July, 2012
I often use acapellas in the mix when playing live,but can only do this when I have 3 decks or cdjs available.Do any of you mix acapellas using only two decks and if so could you go into detail as to how you do this with only 2 decks.Thanks
phatbob 2:00 AM - 29 July, 2012
Mix faster. ;-)
the_black_one 3:52 AM - 29 July, 2012
load tracks on beat!!! learn it
DJ Crookedstylez 7:14 AM - 29 July, 2012
I try to make sure the acapella I play is shorter than the instrumental, Or echo out after a verse so u can drop the next song in! If the acapella has some "head nodness" to it. You can play the acapella and then drop the instrumental somewhere around the verse.
djbanno 7:31 AM - 29 July, 2012
Use one of the SP6 sample player slots as a "deck" and map the pitch, nudge, start/stop, etc functions to a midi controller such as the Akai LPD8.
sacrilicious 6:18 PM - 29 July, 2012
ay

Quote:
Mix faster. ;-)

Quote:

Quote:
I try to make sure the acapella I play is shorter than the instrumental, Or echo out after a verse so u can drop the next song in! If the acapella has some "head nodness" to it. You can play the acapella and then drop the instrumental somewhere around the verse.

Quote:
Use one of the SP6 sample player slots as a "deck" and map the pitch, nudge, start/stop, etc functions to a midi controller such as the Akai LPD8.

yep
DJ Remy USA 10:03 PM - 29 July, 2012
Quote:
I often use acapellas in the mix when playing live,but can only do this when I have 3 decks or cdjs available.Do any of you mix acapellas using only two decks and if so could you go into detail as to how you do this with only 2 decks.Thanks

yep I use acapellas all the time live with 2 tracks. Serato gives you 3 hands imo

here is video Im using acapellas and changing beats

Watchwww.youtube.com
Logisticalstyles 1:28 PM - 30 July, 2012
Make a track with 5 acapellas at the same BPM. Sometimes I use acapellas that are already at the same BPM or I may re-record them at the desired BPM, then set a cue point at the beginning of each acapella. Now when you are mixing you can jump right to the next one without having to scroll through and load different acapellas or worry about messing with the pitch. I'm in the process of setting up several acapella tracks like this for all of my common BPM ranges.
phatbob 1:41 PM - 30 July, 2012
Dropping acapellas was actually my main purpose for the Bridge when I used to use it.

I had about 60 acapellas all warped in Live, and could sync any of them to either deck whenever I liked.
tehBEN 1:55 PM - 30 July, 2012
1. make sure your cue points on your instrumentals are in the right place. 
2. Enable  drop to first cue
3. disable lock playing deck.
4. leave acapella on one deck
5. drop your instrumentals on the other deck on time at the right bpm
6. adjust pitch on acapella deck as needed.
7. practice.

Quote:

I had about 60 acapellas all warped in Live, and could sync any of them to either deck whenever I liked.

i thought about doing this but it takes the fun out of riding the pitch and nudging the record/platter
phatbob 2:13 PM - 30 July, 2012
You're still mixing the 2 tracks underneath manually though. It means you can basically play 3 decks when you've only got 2 decks.
DJ Remy USA 6:16 PM - 30 July, 2012
I dont like the idea of warping all of my tracks at a set tempo to be used in SSL. The only I do such is when Im making a multi tracked mixtape.

However I do like the idea of making a acapella track with your desired acapellas in it if your doing a set and wan to keep on mixing but I accomplish this already by dropping my acapellas into the prepare window and loading with the 57 joysticks
ced_so_thoed 6:29 PM - 30 July, 2012
Quote:
ay

Quote:
Mix faster. ;-)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

yep

ay
that's what the fuck I'm talkin bout!!!!!!!
*shadow boxes*
yep
DJ Benny B NYC 8:27 PM - 30 July, 2012
this is not for rookies. dont do it in public until you have it down perfectly.
DJ Crookedstylez 9:44 PM - 30 July, 2012
Quote:
this is not for rookies. dont do it in public until you have it down perfectly.

So True! I've made Mix tapes about 10 years ago that sound like crap! The Bpm's were way off! Wtf was I on back then?
DJ DisGrace 11:00 PM - 30 July, 2012
Quote:
practice.

this
ced_so_thoed 11:50 PM - 30 July, 2012
Quote:
Wtf was I on back then?

ay
shit flavored cocaine mixed with rat piss.
That was wtf you were on back then.
yep
Esco... 2:47 AM - 31 July, 2012
Check out DJ Coke-E's jump off mix.

Watchwww.youtube.com

watch both parts. I learned from watching this vid and add my own twist to it.
tehBEN 1:38 PM - 31 July, 2012
Quote:
Check out DJ Coke-E's jump off mix.

Watchwww.youtube.com

watch both parts. I learned from watching this vid and add my own twist to it.

+1
BIGG BEAR 11:11 PM - 2 August, 2012
Hi Guys thanks for the help,the main bits I have found most usefull are load to first cue and disable locked deck,this is made stuff lots faster,I also think for doing this live best to create a playlist and make sure all the tracks in playlist have load markers to avoid any screw ups.
Robert W 7:45 AM - 4 August, 2012
I just quickly grab an instrumental that's roughly the same tempo and do maintenence taps/nudges until i get it where it needs to be.
Robert W 7:46 AM - 4 August, 2012
OOps, read the question wrong. I was thinking you meant using accapelles every once in a while.