DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

NEW DJ - Need someone to skype/FB about history of DJ'ing, advice, etc

DJ Seeg 2:30 AM - 24 July, 2012
Hey guys new DJ here, where I live in Oregon there simply are no DJ's that actually spin, keep a beat, or scratch, for the most part they just download pre-mixed music and add a couple effects or hit shuffle on their iPod. That was part of the reason for me to wanting to get into DJ'ing in addition to being a passionate music listener, and all these clowns around here are ruining DJ'ing.

I am only 19 so i'm considered the new generation, but I truly would like someone to help me, teach me some of the history, etc etc. I have played drum set and snare drum years ago so i'm pretty good with beats, but please any help is very much appreciated. I could use some advice with everything from equipment, software, things to avoid, etc.

I do not mean to write my life story on this forum, but I could really use some help to get me going.
2Seven 5:03 AM - 24 July, 2012
Practice, practice, practice. Once you've done some of that....do some more. Record your mixes, listen to them, realise they suck and more importantly why they suck. Then go away and practice some more.

Appreciate that you're not going to be able to run before you can walk, and after a while upload a mix to this thread and be prepared for some harsh words. Then go and practice some more. Don't bite the hands that feed you, don't undercut local dj's (if it turns out there are any)...but not we're getting into my pet hates!

If history is what you're after, there's plenty of websites/videos out there: bit.ly (dj's don't like to spoon feed people).

Practice some more.
phatbob 12:24 PM - 24 July, 2012
Buy, read, learn, get inspired: www.amazon.com
phatbob 12:25 PM - 24 July, 2012
That one covers the history, this one will help with the craft: www.amazon.com
Papa Midnight 5:13 PM - 24 July, 2012
Before I get into giving tips on the history of DJing, I'm going to recommend something else. This is actually an unorthodox recommendation I'm going to give you, but it's one I've been pushing for a lot of DJs and musicians, both new and old, to take a serious look into:

Watch the mockumentary, "It's All Gone Pete Tong". Hell, it's on YouTube (Watchwww.youtube.com).

en.wikipedia.org
www.imdb.com

It came out in 2004. It's a story of a superstar DJ who goes deaf. It even brings in a few big name DJs to give the film a serious feel. I seriously think all DJs need to look into this as I've been seriously pushing that performing artist (aka: DJs and musicians) and even party-goers need to protect their hearing. It'll do you a favor in the long run. Hell, you're young too so this is the perfect time for you to start.
sacrilicious 5:23 PM - 24 July, 2012
Quote:
Hey guys new DJ here, where I live in Oregon there simply are no DJ's that actually spin, keep a beat, or scratch, for the most part they just download pre-mixed music and add a couple effects or hit shuffle on their iPod. That was part of the reason for me to wanting to get into DJ'ing in addition to being a passionate music listener, and all these clowns around here are ruining DJ'ing.

I am only 19 so i'm considered the new generation, but I truly would like someone to help me, teach me some of the history, etc etc. I have played drum set and snare drum years ago so i'm pretty good with beats, but please any help is very much appreciated. I could use some advice with everything from equipment, software, things to avoid, etc.

I do not mean to write my life story on this forum, but I could really use some help to get me going.

Yo Seeg let me know when you're in Portland and we can chat and/or cut it up. Where do you live?
sixxx 5:25 PM - 24 July, 2012
Here's the history of DJing.

Used to be awesome. Now, not so much. The end.
str8nger 7:22 PM - 24 July, 2012
First off never call yourself a Dj! When u haven't even started your not a Dj. That's why the game is so fucked up everyone gets a laptop and a controller and all of a sudden they are a "Dj"
Eric N 7:39 PM - 24 July, 2012
Quote:
Here's the history of DJing.

Used to be awesome. Now, not so much. The end.

PREACH!

Seriously though, if nobody in your area is "doing it right", it gives you a wide-open market once you are ready for it. Just don't go out and try to play shows before you have the skills down, or you will be just like these other guys in your area that you despise.

Like others said already, just practice. Like all the time. Record your mixes and find your flaws. Listen to super-ill DJ's mixtapes and see if you can copy (or even better, improve upon) their routines. DON'T go out and play these sets as your own, I'm talking about doing this strictly as a learning tool. Challenge yourself to work with lots of different genres - especially older ones without quantized/digital percussion. If you get to where you can mix some oldskool live-drummer tracks without fucking up, today's music will be easy.

Finally, take all of that time that you invested, and realize that it's really not really gonna do shit for you as far as getting booked goes. You are going to have to brand yourself and hype yourself in order to get anywhere. If you want to stick to your local area, make a bunch of CDs (or even better, data sticks or DVDs), make some bracelets or stickers, do whatever you can to plaster YOUR name all over town and get people curious. Get your demos out to any bar in the area that you want to play at and try to set up meetings with the managers. Have a plan and an approach figured out BEFORE you go in.

If you want to play anything in a bigger market, (other than Vegas) you are going to need other DJs in order to get you into venues. Make friends with DJs in Portland (or whatever your closest city with "real DJs" is) and help them set up, etc. See if you can get 20 minutes at the beginning of the night sometime. THIS is where all the practice comes in. If you actually impress whoever has taken you under his wing, and you're lucky, he might make a call or two and get you on somewhere.

(The other option is to get lots of coke and give it to promoters and hot chicks, but I assume you want the RIGHT way to do it and not the way it's BEEN going lol).

And... good luck. It's a cutthroat industry these days. Many of the best DJs are playing small venues while wack-ass, no talent undercutters are getting shine in the big clubs. Realize that if you are in it for the right reasons, you may never play the glossy-flyer glory spots, and be OK with that.

:)
str8nger 7:43 PM - 24 July, 2012
Okay also u said everyone can't Dj oh there but I bet I'd u would go to a club u would hear a good Dj, but since your 19 and can't get into a club I assume all the djs u hear are some kids house Party's
Papa Midnight 8:04 PM - 24 July, 2012
Quote:
Okay also u said everyone can't Dj oh there but I bet I'd u would go to a club u would hear a good Dj, but since your 19 and can't get into a club I assume all the djs u hear are some kids house Party's

Not true entirely. Some clubs allow for persons 18+ to get in.

The so-called 18 to party, 21 to drink clubs.
str8nger 8:39 PM - 24 July, 2012
Sorry for the typos my iPhone is not so smart. I understand I never thought about that I'm too old :(
djbanno 11:14 PM - 24 July, 2012
Quote:
Practice, practice, practice. Once you've done some of that....do some more. Record your mixes, listen to them, realise they suck and more importantly why they suck. Then go away and practice some more.

Appreciate that you're not going to be able to run before you can walk, and after a while upload a mix to this thread and be prepared for some harsh words. Then go and practice some more. Don't bite the hands that feed you, don't undercut local dj's (if it turns out there are any)...but not we're getting into my pet hates!

If history is what you're after, there's plenty of websites/videos out there: bit.ly (dj's don't like to spoon feed people).

Practice some more.

This should be written on Serato SL2/3/4 packaging
sacrilicious 9:43 PM - 26 July, 2012
My buddy DJ Jack is playing an 18+ party tonight in PDX if you want to hear him getting down.

www.facebook.com
2Seven 10:32 PM - 31 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Practice some more.

the truth
DJ M-STAR 10:57 PM - 31 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Practice some more.

the truth

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
dj_ys 12:55 AM - 1 August, 2012
DJ Zimmie is in Portland now. Used to spin in Pittsburgh. Try to connect with him.
sacrilicious 5:33 AM - 1 August, 2012
^ yep he's a nice addition to our city
sixxx 5:38 AM - 1 August, 2012
Quote:
DJ Zimmie is in Portland now. Used to spin in Pittsburgh. Try to connect with him.

George Zimmerman is a DJ now? :P
sacrilicious 4:52 PM - 1 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

George Zimmerman is a DJ now? :P

Yeah I'm a little weary of battling him

...too soon?
dj_ys 4:52 PM - 1 August, 2012
*waits for hipster DJs to start using Zimmerman/Trayvon based names*
sacrilicious 4:53 PM - 1 August, 2012
DJ Trayvon Zimmerman