Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Stored Loop Behavior

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Novation TWITCH
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
[O/][iii][O/] 12:26 PM - 19 July, 2012
Hi - I'm not currently a Twitch owner, but I was, and what I'm inquiring about is if one of the problems we had to get rid of Twitch for ever got fixed and that is how stored loops behave.

From what I remember, when you turned on a stored loop the playhead would automatically jump forward to the beginning of the loop as if it was a hot cue (and ruin the mix in the process) rather than simply turning the loop on so that when the playhead eventually reached the beginning of the loop it would begin looping and stay looped until you turned the loop off. This behavior is totally inconsistent with the way stored loops behave in SSL as well as ITCH when using NS6, NS7, V7, VSI-300...

Did this problem ever get corrected for Twitch?
selkie 2:27 PM - 19 July, 2012
Still works in this way, loops are the weakest point of twitch IMHO.
[O/][iii][O/] 2:29 PM - 19 July, 2012
Quote:
Still works in this way, loops are the weakest point of twitch IMHO.

Thanks for the info.

Yep, the wacky looping behavior was one of two major problems we sadly had to ditch Twitch.
Mr Wilks 1:16 PM - 22 July, 2012
Yup. It still is and when I filed it as a bug last year I was told it was normal behavior and to use the keyboard shortcuts to 'pick up' the loop during play or the loop would just jump to it once activated. There is no reason why anybody would use this function? Can anyone give an instance when this is useful? Can Serato give an instance where, as a house DJ I'd like to randomly jump to another part of the song UNQUANTIZED?

It's inconsistent and shouldn't work this way at all as when it jumps I don't even think it snaps to the grid! I don't want it to jump to the activated loop but if it snapped to the grid it would be a tiny bit better, but no.

This needs to be addressed as it's painful and renders the stored loop function useless.

I know it's a bug as stored loops DON'T work this way but they won't admit it. Shame.
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:02 AM - 23 July, 2012
Hi [O/][iii][O/],

Yes it still functions that way in the current version of ITCH. The work around are the keyboard shortcuts to activate stored loops. Let me know if you guys want any help with that.

This is a problem unique to the Twitch. Which means the Firmware and mapping will have to be updated to accommodate that change. I don't have any information about the timeframe for that unfortunately.

We appreciate your opinion, and are hear to listen to what you guys want to see in future releases.

Funnily enough, some users prefer the way it functions now. To each their own i guess :)
I can see both sides of it. Sometimes it would be nice to jump to a stored loop to get out of a mix.. Other times, It would be a real pain.

I will log this as a bug and close this thread up until i have something more solid to inform you about.

Thanks

Matt P
[O/][iii][O/] 12:35 AM - 25 July, 2012
Quote:

This needs to be addressed as it's painful and renders the stored loop function useless.

Agree 100%. As a longtime SSL user and now NS6, NS7, V7 and VSI-300MKII which all have stored loops behaving consistently and the way they way they should (which is simply turn the stored loop on so when the playhead reaches it it begins looping until turned off where it exits the loop) the Twitch jumping loop nonsense rendered my countless numbers of stored loops built up over the year completely useless. This is one of the major reasons we sadly had to ditch Twitch by returning for full refund. Why on earth Serato and their hardware partners thought it was a good idea to abandon traditional looping is beyond me. It makes zero sense. If jumping loops were really wanted by someone then they should have been simply added in addition to normal looping with a selection in the preferences so the user has the option to choose which behavior they want/need.
[O/][iii][O/] 12:37 AM - 25 July, 2012
BTW, staying far away from the VCI-380 too since we learned it has this the same crazy jumping loop action Twitch does.
[O/][iii][O/] 12:41 AM - 25 July, 2012
Quote:
Sometimes it would be nice to jump to a stored loop to get out of a mix

Matt, all you need to do in that case is simply place a CUE point at the beginning of a stored loop. Viola! done, same way we do it in SSL. Again, getting rid of traditional looping on Twitch and VCI-380 is a HUGE problem for many ITCH users — especially those who also use SSL which shares the same library, and of course zillions of stored loops.

In all my years using Serato products this decision has to be one of, if not the most silly and crippling ones I've seen from them.
[O/][iii][O/] 12:43 AM - 25 July, 2012
Do your homework guys: www.polljunkie.com