Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Waveform refresh rate

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Numark V7
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
nfw 10:29 AM - 11 July, 2012
I've read about quite a few people having this problem on PCs, but none of the resolutions offered in any of the help requests have solved the issue for me. The waveforms in every view do not scroll smoothly, even with the hardware disconnected. At first I thought it could be a CPU issue as my computer only has a Core Duo as opposed to the minimum recommended requirement of a Core 2 Due, but my friend booted up my laptop into Mac OS X from a usb key and the waveforms were perfectly smooth! I experienced massive usb dropouts within mac os and due to the legality of using it on a PC and instability on my laptop wouldn't use it as a solution.
Important pc (Lenovo T60) specs are:

Processor: Intel T2500 2.0GHz Core Duo
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Calistoga i945GM/PM
Memory/RAM: 2GB
Screen: 15.0" 1400 x 1050 SXGA+ (LG Philips LP150E05 - A2)
Graphics: ATI X1400 128MB

I've followed the dubspot and serato computer optimization guides, installed all latest drivers and BIOS updates and uninstalled unnecessary programs. When I have songs playing on both decks in ITCH the cpu usage is generally around 20% but occasionally fluctuates up to a maximum of around 60%.
I have also analyzed all files in my library and experimented with changing the usb buffer size, but this doesn't seem to have an effect on the waveforms. The appearance of the waveforms is slightly improved by changing the refresh rate to 50hz in the settings of ITCH, but is still slightly jumpy.

Is this just an issue with windows? Thanks in advance.
Kittmaster 5:27 PM - 11 July, 2012
Yes, it's a windows issue, they do not use GPU acceleration in windows so mostly determinant on CPU....but even the fastest processor on the planet won't solve the issue, the underlying code has to be modified to use GPU acceleration.

On mac, the OS is GPU pipelined by default by the Kernel, so hence you get a silky smooth waveform.

Maybe it will be fixed in about 5 years......doesn't seem to be any type of high priority issue since it's been asked and answered many times in the past.

Greetz
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:29 PM - 11 July, 2012
Hey NFW,

Yes unfortunately this is an issue we are aware of however not of a high priority at this time, I can't say if or when this will be solved however Kittmaster made some very good points of interest. Hopefully this doesn't impede on your ability to DJ. Let me know if you need any further support on this issue.

Regards
Dave W
nfw 12:48 AM - 12 July, 2012
That's a shame, I guess I'll forgo a second v7 and start saving up for a macbook!
Bazildon 9:36 AM - 13 July, 2012
Quote:
That's a shame, I guess I'll forgo a second v7 and start saving up for a macbook!

No way, get another V7. I used only 1 with a pc - stuttering waves and everything - for about a year. Then I got a second V7 and its brilliant, totally makes the whole V7 thing feel right and no more stopping the wrong deck cause you forgot the switch.

As long as the output of audio is not juddering then you get used to the waveform not being silky smooth.