DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Talib Kweli - "Fuck Serato"

wakka 5:18 AM - 19 February, 2008
Watchyoutube.com

Off of Eardrum, Hostile Gospel Pt. 1
Quote:
The truth is hard to swallow, it'll leave you scarred tomorrow
"Keep it honest" - our motto, these niggas keep it bottled
I'm the writer who reach the fighters like speeches by Cus D'Amato
DJs stickin' to vinyl like "fuck Serato"

He even flips off the camera when he says the Serato line, 2:10

Hmmm
DJ Prinvale` 5:24 AM - 19 February, 2008
I'll still sleep tonight
MrGoodie2shoes 6:14 AM - 19 February, 2008
That's bullshit because his dj was using Serato last time I saw him about a year ago, and he wasn't very good with it. I think I remember Talib even messing around with the laptop when Buckshot was on the mic. It was a whack show too imho...except for Buckshot who was dope and had a much better stage presence.
DJ Kim Jong Il 9:42 AM - 19 February, 2008
relax, its just a rap song. Nas says he's killed before, ghostface had grouper... not a big deal, and regardless of what you think, that line was pretty hot.
DJ Pryme 10:30 AM - 19 February, 2008
cool.
sweetL 11:47 AM - 19 February, 2008
who cares, id be bothered if he was a half decent rapper like he thinks he is.
Thundercat 3:04 PM - 19 February, 2008
In context it didn't seem like a dis to me at all. He said "DJ's diggin' for vinyl like fuck Serato". He went 3rd person perspective which removes the speaker from implication in the action illustrated.
The Real DJ Maestro 3:09 PM - 19 February, 2008
talib is a bitch for saying fuck serato, he mad cuz he aint getting major spins from serato DJ's!!! Well i say fuck Talib Kweli, u aint shit with out Mos Def
Kadilac 3:15 PM - 19 February, 2008
yeah the flipping off was kind of excessive. Talib used to be fresh, but his voice and "same ol flow on every song", wears thin over the course of an album. He has great wordplay but that's about it. I'd like to see him change up every now and then.
kicko 3:15 PM - 19 February, 2008
Quote:
talib is a bitch for saying fuck serato, he mad cuz he aint getting major spins from serato DJ's!!! Well i say fuck Talib Kweli, u aint shit with out Mos Def

I really dont think he is dissin serato, but more like a reference to keep things real, plus i think talib kweli is better without most def.
The Real DJ Maestro 3:17 PM - 19 February, 2008
No way mos def carried him, people still check if blackstar is gonna come out with another album
De LA 3:20 PM - 19 February, 2008
this is old news. It's not a diss, and its Talib is just having fun, because thats what hip hop is...its fuckin fun!

Plus traktor doesnt work in that rhyme.. :P
The Real DJ Maestro 3:22 PM - 19 February, 2008
Why diss the best program out for DJ's!!! We gotta stand behind our shit!!!!!
DJ R-pan 4:16 PM - 19 February, 2008
he isnt even dissing serato. he's talking from the perspective of dj's who are using vinyl and saying fuck serato...
sixxx 4:32 PM - 19 February, 2008
I'm with the cats who believe he's not dissing Serato. He's talking about DJ's who are digging for vinyl saying to themselves 'fuck Serato'. That's the mentality of a purist vinyl digger. Talib is a rapper, not a DJ.
scotty B 5:02 PM - 19 February, 2008
Quote:
I have a Defari song where he mentions Serato (not in a bad way)

"The kush, Bottle, a bag full of MP3's that get dopeed in Serato, a best selling novle" Or something like that...

I don't think Kweli is really sayin F serato... It's a form of speech. Who Know I could be Wrong....
FU_PAY_ME 5:06 PM - 19 February, 2008
I don't know if that was a dis, but if it was here's my line for him:

"Keep it oldschool and stay the fuck off ProTools"
sixxx 5:14 PM - 19 February, 2008
Laaaame. lol
DJ Sherm 5:50 PM - 19 February, 2008
LOL at all the Top 40 DJs dissing Talib. Ya'll should go apply to be on P-Diddy's show. WACKNESS!

Real Hip-Hop!

Quote:
he isnt even dissing serato. he's talking from the perspective of dj's who are using vinyl and saying fuck serato...

Exactly.
FU_PAY_ME 5:59 PM - 19 February, 2008
Quote:

Do those type of Dj's still exist?
DeezNotes 6:24 PM - 19 February, 2008
Quote:
In context it didn't seem like a dis to me at all. He said "DJ's diggin' for vinyl like fuck Serato". He went 3rd person perspective which removes the speaker from implication in the action illustrated.

Engrish be dem funda mentals
sweetL 6:27 PM - 19 February, 2008
Quote:

actually, had i read it, id have said this. but i didnt. i just took an opportunity to cuss talib. again... lol
sixxx 7:41 PM - 19 February, 2008
lol sweetL
sG 7:42 PM - 19 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Yes these DJs still exist... although the number of them has drastically gone down. Half of those DJs from before don't say "Fuck Serato" anymore... they say, "I wish I had a laptop."
nik39 7:45 PM - 19 February, 2008
Quote:
they say, "I wish I had a laptop."

Haha :)
bboyrealone 12:11 AM - 20 February, 2008
I am a fan of Kweli...but he did a whole mix tape with Clinton Sparks, who is a die hard Serato user.
hard line 12:16 AM - 20 February, 2008
I think he meant "like", as in he is the same type of hold out MC, "like" DJs who say "fuck Serato". HE is not saying it.
dead serious 12:22 AM - 20 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

hell yea they do

i remember one of em coming on the forums and writing essays for days
djbabyboy 12:54 AM - 20 February, 2008
And when he tour if he can get a gig , i bet his dj is using what...SERATO
dreamkast 12:54 AM - 20 February, 2008
people that saying hes nothing without mos needa get their heads checked.
hard line 1:17 AM - 20 February, 2008
I've seen his DJ use Serato.
Swizzle 11:52 AM - 20 February, 2008
lol as some of us have already stated....don't think he's dissing Serato. I hope a Hip Hop lover/dj didn't post this :-(

Did you also think Nas wanted to 'Roll to every station and Murder the DJ' too?

It's called Context.
sweetL 1:11 PM - 20 February, 2008
Quote:

checked my head.

talib is so wack, he made mos 'ok' on the blackstar stuff.
djbriguy 2:19 PM - 20 February, 2008
Quote:

+1
DJ Josh V 2:37 PM - 20 February, 2008
Quote:
I'm with the cats who believe he's not dissing Serato. He's talking about DJ's who are digging for vinyl saying to themselves 'fuck Serato'. That's the mentality of a purist vinyl digger. Talib is a rapper, not a DJ.

+1
Wally Sparks 3:28 PM - 20 February, 2008
Quote:
I am a fan of Kweli...but he did a whole mix tape with Clinton Sparks, who is a die hard Serato user.

I'm another die hard Serato user that Kweli did a whole mixtape with.
AKIEM 3:55 PM - 20 February, 2008
Ive seen Kweli himself "DJ" with SSL (it was actually Chaps on the tables tho)
FlexyD 3:56 PM - 20 February, 2008
i'm with others, he isn't dissing it,kweli used to be a dj and I've seen a youtube vid where he used serato himself as a guest dj at some club not too long ago.
djfineboy 4:03 PM - 20 February, 2008
I think its just a colloquial expression, he aint dissin' serato. Now thats the real ghetto, the hood i'm from; lagos, Nigeria. Big ups.
sweetL 4:25 PM - 20 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
I'm with the cats who believe he's not dissing Serato. He's talking about DJ's who are digging for vinyl saying to themselves 'fuck Serato'. That's the mentality of a purist vinyl digger. Talib is a wack rapper, not a DJ.

+1

+billions
DJ Sniffles 4:32 PM - 20 February, 2008
I can't believe you guys are hating on talib like he aint talented. he is mad talented. because he says fuck serato now he's whack?

so if hurricane chris gave props to serato ud be on his dick?

its hip hop...real hip hop
digitaljunkeez 4:38 PM - 20 February, 2008
Sad to say but wow. I spin his Hot Thing in the club all the time, and the remix!
DJ Young Herrera 4:47 PM - 20 February, 2008
Hot thing was my joint in september. But I do think that blackstar needs to re-unite. I've always liked kweli but Mos Def was my favorite.
shiestO! 5:07 PM - 20 February, 2008
i'd care a little more if he was still putting out cd's of the caliber of "reflection eternal" which was excellent.
shiestO! 5:08 PM - 20 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

I'm another die hard Serato user that Kweli did a whole mixtape with.

proof that it just fit his rhyme scheme. no dis.
Dj Sparky 5:12 PM - 20 February, 2008
someone diss's serato and you all get ur panties in a twist, ha ha ha ha thats the funny pary
a DJ 5:22 PM - 20 February, 2008
If yall couldn't pick up on a simple simile like this, you have been missing out on so much while listening to hiphop. lol. But maybe it's just cuz you were fired up cuz he said Serato.

Quote:
i'd care a little more if he was still putting out cd's of the caliber of "reflection eternal" which was excellent.

Yeah Beautiful Struggle and Right About Now weren't so good. Black Star album is the shit of course, Reflection Eternal is cool too. Quality was okay.
DJBlisk 10:05 PM - 20 February, 2008
Reflection Eternal was cool? only Cool!!!!!!

I loved that album, it was the essence of hiphop for me.

2000 season? fortified live?

sorry.. i'm a fanboy.
djmoneyd425 10:47 PM - 20 February, 2008
Quote:

you're kidding with this statement right?
DJBlisk 10:57 PM - 20 February, 2008
Yo, from the first to the last of it, delivery is passionate
The whole and not the half of it, vocab and not the math of it
DJ Sherm 11:00 PM - 20 February, 2008
Quote:
Sad to say but wow. I spin his Hot Thing in the club all the time, and the remix!

Quote:
Hot thing was my joint in september. But I do think that blackstar needs to re-unite. I've always liked kweli but Mos Def was my favorite.

No disrespect to you two, but you can't judge an artist based on the number of "club hits" they've had. I have all of Talib's albums and they are ALL works of lyrical and poetic art.

I think if you turn over this particular rock you will be happy with what you find underneath. As DJs we need to be making charts, not following charts.
Jay-R Enguillado 11:12 PM - 20 February, 2008
you guys are taking that serato line all out of proportion.
DJBlisk 11:14 PM - 20 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

No disrespect to you two, but you can't judge an artist based on the number of "club hits" they've had. I have all of Talib's albums and they are ALL works of lyrical and poetic art.

I think if you turn over this particular rock you will be happy with what you find underneath. As DJs we need to be making charts, not following charts.

meh...

I still like mos def "98 version" better than talib, who's "92 to 2002" version is better than anything him or mos def have put out lately.

"hot thing"??? yuck.

black girl lost was superb as well as run the line etc. etc. etc.

too bad he gets noticed for the wack tracks.
hard line 4:16 AM - 21 February, 2008
Quote:
someone diss's serato and you all get ur panties in a twist, ha ha ha ha thats the funny pary

People are just talking about it, and no one has any hurt feelings.
dreamkast 4:50 AM - 21 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

checked my head.

talib is so wack, he made mos 'ok' on the blackstar stuff.

what do you mean he made mos ok?

talib has lots of dope solo tracks.
djmoneyd425 11:09 AM - 21 February, 2008
Quote:
you guys are taking that serato line all out of proportion.

exactly
sweetL 12:47 PM - 21 February, 2008
Quote:
I can't believe you guys are hating on talib like he aint talented. he is mad talented. because he says fuck serato now he's whack?

no he didnt actually say that.

and thats not why hes wack.

hes wack cause he's a rubbish rapper, who doesnt know what rhymescheme, patterns, or flow actually is.
sweetL 12:47 PM - 21 February, 2008
Quote:
hes wack cause he's a rubbish rapper, who doesnt know what rhymescheme, patterns, or flow actually is.

which is the same for his fans.

search you tube for "art of patterns".

iv NEVER heard talib flow on beat.
sweetL 12:48 PM - 21 February, 2008
Quote:
what do you mean he made mos ok?

talib has lots of dope solo tracks.

mos is great alone. hes great with others... but its like talib's influenced dulled down mos' greatness.
sweetL 12:58 PM - 21 February, 2008
Quote:

thats true.

BUT

we should also remember that just because something isnt mainstream or is 'underground' it DOESNT mean its actually any good.

people get caught up with talib thinking 'lyrical delivery' and 'complicated flow' and him being 'conscious'.

true, hes conscious, true, he can write some SERIOUS lyrics, but his flow is garbage!

listen to this, and actually LISTEN to the flow, whats rhyming, who's on beat. common and mos make talib look like a fool!

Watchwww.youtube.com

a couple of times he looks like hes gonna pull off a pattern on flow, but the ONLY time he pulls it off is on the last bar of lyrics.

im NOT saying he isnt conscious, im not saying he hasnt written some heavy lyrics, but since when is it ok for a rapper to NOT have flow? i have this exact same problem with e40.
nik39 2:56 PM - 21 February, 2008
I gotta defend Talib here.

Though his 2nd album was quite of a dissappointment for me... I gave him the chance and went to a live gig, and he blew me away. Really, that was a dope show! So he rocked it live, I agree his flow is... uhm weird. esp. on records.

I have a lot of respect for Mos Def, my lady is a huge fan of him, he is a dope MC, so we were really hyped to see him live - and this was a big disappointment, he did some kind of "performance" show, where the DJ played a lot of the original-sampled songs, he personally did only a few songs live. It was very weird.

Choose to see live:

Def - Talib? Talib.

Choose to buy record:

Def - Talib? Def, but... yeah, I'd buy both ;)
sweetL 3:15 PM - 21 February, 2008
Quote:
I gave him the chance and went to a live gig, and he blew me away. Really, that was a dope show! So he rocked it live,

you mentioned that before and im yet to see him live, perhaps i should check some youtube stuff.

im willing to bet tho, that 90-95% of the people who go on about talib the most, have never seen him live, which means they genuinely believe his greatness as a flowing rapper from tracks alone, which just baffles the sheer heck out of me.
sweetL 3:15 PM - 21 February, 2008
oh and yeah, mos live : zero energy.

ill take common every day!
dj Jazz One 10:33 PM - 21 February, 2008
Don't be so asshurt.

Talib has learned to rhyme on beat. He says a few interesting things here and there. I have watched Talib over the years go from being a rapper to an MC.

My biggest problem ever with him was he always tried to put too many words in a line.

As much as I love Serato, It does my heart good to see someone ripping it on real vinyl.
dj Jazz One 10:37 PM - 21 February, 2008
White people really like Mos Def

stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com
sweetL 11:19 PM - 21 February, 2008
Dont get me wrong, im nt just hating, i just hate to see people scream genius where its just not deserved.

Credit where credit is due... but i cant credit him for flow, which means i cant credit him as a rapper.

Iv only been aware of talib for about 8 years, perhaps his earlier stuff before he tried to fit too much into a sentence (i call that the "i wanna bus like cani" syndrome) was better..
HateRocski 11:24 PM - 21 February, 2008
He is a soft guy.
dreamkast 11:27 PM - 21 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

no he didnt actually say that.

and thats not why hes wack.

lol @ rubbish rappper

he burns heaps of tracks with tight flows.

listen to we got the beat for example.
sweetL 11:39 PM - 21 February, 2008
ok... i need more examples.

we got the beat, this one?

Watchwww.youtube.com

is the best flow iv ever heard him rock. ever. its not amazing, but its solid.

first time i heard talib, being boyed by bahamadia... '99 apparently! known of talib for 9 years then.

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJBlisk 11:43 PM - 21 February, 2008
Quote:
Dont get me wrong, im nt just hating, i just hate to see people scream genius where its just not deserved.

Credit where credit is due... but i cant credit him for flow, which means i cant credit him as a rapper.

Iv only been aware of talib for about 8 years, perhaps his earlier stuff before he tried to fit too much into a sentence (i call that the "i wanna bus like cani" syndrome) was better..

who called him a genius? fanboys..

thats like Kim Jong and his obsession with Ghostface.

you guy gotta keep you opinions in check.
sweetL 11:46 PM - 21 February, 2008
why? as long as you have a reason for your opinion...

this is a 'discussion' forum after all.
DJBlisk 11:49 PM - 21 February, 2008
Plus... Talib can rhyme on beat, but Mos Def is a better rapper.. hands down.

Here is a good example of both of them when they didn't see money and fame as a driving force.

P.S. - Mr. Man killed both of them.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Black Girl Pain

Watchwww.youtube.com

He's good in Black Girl Pain, but Jean Grae outshines him.
sweetL 11:57 PM - 21 February, 2008
yes, he did kill them both.

jean grae is ill
DJBlisk 12:16 AM - 22 February, 2008
stop jocking my taste!
sweetL 12:33 AM - 22 February, 2008
im not! i actually never heard of mr man till just now, but that jean grae + 9th stuff was reeeeal nice.

read the above posts. man alive, i do rant on.
DJBlisk 12:35 AM - 22 February, 2008
what???? oh my god sweetL

please look up bushbabies...

for the love of you god, you new jacks are killing me.
Panic City 1:16 AM - 22 February, 2008
Talib was never the same after Eternal Reflection.

Yah trick Yahh!
Panic City 1:16 AM - 22 February, 2008
Imean reflection eternal

Yahh myself
HateRocski 1:18 AM - 22 February, 2008
Eternal Reflection sucks.
DJ'Que 3:00 AM - 22 February, 2008
this is from twab,he's not dissing serato (his dj uses it) but its pure underground hiphop not radio.he sayin that real DJ's keeping it real digging in crates lookin for vinyl and their saying in their mines like fuck serato,just like lil wayne saying sarup (Blood) but he's not a blood he got that from mack 10.I been face to face with lil wayne and he's never said that,even when the R60's to their jewerly in hollywood at roscoe's chicken and waffle.i remember juvi getting on the radio talking about that saying these LA cats dont play we got held up at roscoe's at 3pm in broad day lightand the took our jewels.
sweetL 9:12 AM - 22 February, 2008
Quote:
what???? oh my god sweetL

please look up bushbabies...

for the love of you god, you new jacks are killing me.

im not a new jack....

i know bushbabees, just dont know who the members are. the only reason i know bushbabees is cause of gravity and three mc's and only those because of jay dee.

dont forget that in a whole 'nother country, getting hold of the nicest hiphop music wasnt always easy, and we have our own scenes going on which i like to keep up with as much as possible.

unles
Dj Nyce 4:44 PM - 4 March, 2008
wow. not gonna scroll back up but whoever said talib was a wack mc is buggin.
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user 7:40 PM - 4 March, 2008
wakka 9:20 PM - 4 March, 2008

whack
sweetL 9:23 PM - 4 March, 2008
Quote:
wow. not gonna scroll back up but whoever said talib was a wack mc is buggin.

it was me. and im not.
sweetL 9:27 PM - 4 March, 2008
he CAN rap. he just doesnt anymore. that soundbombing jawn with bahamadia (where bahamadia killed him, incidentally - tho i dont know why anyone would be surprised about that) was nice, but the flow wasnt anything major, and his more recent flow just sounds trash to my ears.
dj_soo 9:52 PM - 4 March, 2008
some real fanboyism going on here
dj tofer 10:43 PM - 4 March, 2008
LOL seriously. i thought this thread was gonzos
Mr. Goodkat 1:04 AM - 5 March, 2008
if you really think about it, and i'm not really in deep concentration on this, i would say fuck serato too(if i wasn't a dj). Compared to vinyl or cds it does suck, and it does spawn wack dj's much faster than normal. Since i make my money playing pop tracks to a majority of wack people, i guess it really doesn't matter.
Dj Nyce 11:07 PM - 5 March, 2008
i'm not a fanboy. i like mobb deep. fuck any other rappers.

i'm just saying that whether or not i like talib (no home), that he is nyce.
Dj Nyce 11:07 PM - 5 March, 2008
oops...no homo
DjPriMO25 6:28 PM - 6 March, 2008
Quote:

Dude, he's not dissing serato. He's telling a story. The story is:
There's dj's out there who still stick to vinyl and say "fuck serato".

How do you not get that?
Kadilac 7:17 PM - 6 March, 2008
Talib is so monotone, I wish he would learn some vocal inflection. Oops, a real MC should know that already. Check out Black Thought of the roots for a REAL MC!
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
dj_soo 12:14 AM - 7 March, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Dude, he's not dissing serato. He's telling a story. The story is:
There's dj's out there who still stick to vinyl and say "fuck serato".

How do you not get that?

it's cause people only see the words "fuck serato" and get all nerd-ragey.
DJBlisk 12:25 AM - 7 March, 2008
who you calling a nerd?

visa is going IPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dj buterd hams 11:12 PM - 12 March, 2008
yo if you paid your vynil dues! no worries . im a vynil lover still buy it . but only now buy what i really want . serato makes sence as a mobile dj . and talib i dont think is totally against it . he is just explaing how "hip-hop" he is .
Diamond Duckets 11:42 PM - 12 March, 2008
Anyone whose had to leave for a gig 2 hours before so you could load up the car with 6 crates, carry them BY YOURSELF upstairs into a club, play all night, reorganize them, carry them back downstairs BY YOURSELF, load up your car, bring them back into your house, and finally get in bed by 7am knows that Serato is a blessing.

I say Fuck Talib and his hypocrisy. He should take his music off iTunes and CD's and have it only distributed via vinyl if he was so true to the game. What a loser.
dj buterd hams 2:52 AM - 13 March, 2008
Quote:
Anyone whose had to leave for a gig 2 hours before so you could load up the car with 6 crates, carry them BY YOURSELF upstairs into a club, play all night, reorganize them, carry them back downstairs BY YOURSELF, load up your car, bring them back into your house, and finally get in bed by 7am knows that Serato is a blessing.

ooohhh i feel that pain right there. (sounds familar)
DJ_Gadabout 2:16 PM - 13 March, 2008
Those bars are dope. And Kweli is dope...
He was talking in 3rd person in that line anyway...he was referring to wat DJs are saying.
Mad Love To Kwa...
DJ Sherm 6:47 PM - 13 March, 2008
Quote:

Shenanigans. You haven't listened to his albums, and it shows.

You might want to STFU next time instead of blasting the illest MC in the game just because he doesn't show up on your promo-only CDs.
DJBlisk 7:28 PM - 13 March, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

You might want to STFU next time instead of blasting the illest MC in the game just because he doesn't show up on your promo-only CDs.

Woah! somebody pissed of Sherm.
dj buterd hams 2:37 AM - 20 March, 2008
and people he (talib) says "djays who say f&^% the vynil..i say f%$# serato" not F&^% all together .
DJ Pryme 4:24 AM - 20 March, 2008
stop hatin on talib and go get famous.
Stretch 4:47 AM - 20 March, 2008
video is dope
sweetL 7:53 AM - 20 March, 2008
Quote:

obviously you read everything iv said so far, so are able to put me in that bracket.

dude, if you actually read what iv said youll know im seriously into my hip hop, and im SERIOUSLY into flow and the art of mcing.

"the illest mc in the game" comment is an absolute, total and utter crock.

personal opinion and all, you might love his off beat flow, and love how he might decide not to rhyme at all for four bars just to be able to say something that he wants to say, but me, as a person that loves flow and rhymescheme? it just sounds amateur.

the blackstar stuff just killed it, he was getting constantly bodied by mos on the track as far as flow and rhymescheme goes. you might decide you prefer his message, or what he has to SAY, but the message dont MAKE a good RAPPER.

THAT not enough, they decided to get common on a track.

mos AND common on a track with talib, and talib just sounded like a complete chump in comparison.

hes supposed to be a RAPPER, he should flippin RAP not just talk on a flippin track and try to make it fit around the beat.

talib dont say THAT much 'real' stuff that its worth listening to just to hear what he has to say... not enough to say hes the illest in the game.

until i hear the guy do one shadow box, one rhyme in a rhyme, one double time, and nail it ON THE BEAT (the key, hes a rapper for goodness sake) i CANNOT accept that hes the illest in the game.

the SAME goes for nas, except talib is more guilty for one reason. STOP WASTING HOT BEATS WITH YOU WACK FLOWS!!!!!!!
sweetL 7:54 AM - 20 March, 2008
oh, and objective criticism does NOT equal hate. hating is unfounded. criticism has a basis.

ultimately if you arent gonna concede that hes not always on beat at the very least, then you're just a fanboy, and never gonna be able to look at anything objectively.
sweetL 8:03 AM - 20 March, 2008
i keep referring to this video because its such a good explanation of what FLOW, RHYMESCHEME and PATTERNS as VITAL assets of the art of mc'ing actually are.

elzhi, schoolin all you cats who think that conscious lyrics has anything to do with flow.

LISTEN to what hes saying, and listen to how hes saying it.

Watchwww.youtube.com

catch it from 0:53
sweetL 8:03 AM - 20 March, 2008
THEN sod off.
dj buterd hams 9:27 PM - 20 March, 2008
im not hating on talib i feel he is one of the dopest. and i feel his consious rapping etc.. . he is sick
DJBlisk 9:44 PM - 20 March, 2008
Talib is dope.

but he's a backpacker rapper who doesn't have the charisma to make it big.
dj buterd hams 12:01 AM - 21 March, 2008
big like what 50 cent ? do you really (speaking as a hiphop head not a club djay, not what the ladies want) think 50 would be a path talib would want to go . personally i would love to be in talib's position then 50 cents. dont get me wrong i want money, need it but i don't know . um maybe im just humble like that and i dont need that much . also i might be swaying off subject . im a hiphop head. plain and simple
DJBlisk 2:09 AM - 21 March, 2008
Quote:
big like what 50 cent ? do you really (speaking as a hiphop head not a club djay, not what the ladies want) think 50 would be a path talib would want to go . personally i would love to be in talib's position then 50 cents. dont get me wrong i want money, need it but i don't know . um maybe im just humble like that and i dont need that much . also i might be swaying off subject . im a hiphop head. plain and simple

buterd hams...

You're making the assumption that 50cent sucks and therefore no dope rapper who loves hiphop would want to be in his shoes. You shouldn't be swayed by 50 cents suckiness.... He is fucking rich and he likes making the dumb stupid club tracks that makes him mad loot to setup his family and his friends for the rest of their life.

I mean big as he's famous, he's making mad chedder and he's still doing the music he likes....

All rappers rap because they love it... but don't tell me none of those motherfuckers don't do it for the money and the fame.

aka Biggee aka Pac aka Jay Z aka Common aka Missy...

Btw: has anyone heard the Atmosphere and Living Legends Videos rotating on MTV2? I'm telling you that native tongue sound is coming back!!!
FlexyD 12:47 PM - 21 March, 2008
^^^i'll have to check those vids blisk, I know atmosphere is dropping a new full lenght album soon, they had been dropping alot of ep's lately.
dj buterd hams 9:08 PM - 21 March, 2008
i feel you blisk . word. yeah i know those rappers want that fame and money . shit i want money man . and alittle fame would hurt . dj vice status .

also atmosphere living legends . native tounge i wish would re circle. the de la soul black sheep, tribe called quest . etc..
DJ Sherm 9:13 PM - 21 March, 2008
Quote:
obviously you read everything iv said so far, so are able to put me in that bracket.

I read every single garbage post you've made in this thread. I don't respect or agree with your opinion on the matter.
wakka 9:37 PM - 21 March, 2008
still driving in the wrong direction, eh guys?
sixxx 9:50 PM - 21 March, 2008
Someone please take away their drivers license.
sweetL 9:03 AM - 22 March, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

I read every single garbage post you've made in this thread. I don't respect or agree with your opinion on the matter.

well thats totally reasonable, and i like how you backed up your statements to disagree with me, to really help me see how good he is.

its especially good because it hasnt made you look like a talib fanboy. i mean, if you looked like a talib fanboy then id expect you to just blanktetly ignore any criticism of him, even going as far as to totally discredit a person who has any level of criticism for him. the main reason being that you want to have his babies.

but yeah, im glad youve put together a well-thought-out response, and not made yourself look like a talib d rider.
sixxx 10:55 AM - 22 March, 2008
lol @ want to have his babies. Where do you guys come up with this shit? hahaha
dreamkast 6:02 AM - 24 March, 2008
did I read wrong but did I hear something about nas and talib wasting hot beats?
prizo 10:12 AM - 24 March, 2008
Quote:

sorry.. i'm a fanboy.

this dude really knows wat hes talkin bout, if u don';t give kweli credit, u really don't know much bout the lyrical end of mcs... However, i will def say for the record his records have become cheesier and cheesier to me, he used to be one of my favorites, now i hardly consider myself a fan anymore. thats just me tho, as far as the serato line, yall have way too much time on ur hands if u buggin bout this, move on - its really not that serious
prizo 10:24 AM - 24 March, 2008
Quote:
i keep referring to this video because its such a good explanation of what FLOW, RHYMESCHEME and PATTERNS as VITAL assets of the art of mc'ing actually are.

elzhi, schoolin all you cats who think that conscious lyrics has anything to do with flow.

LISTEN to what hes saying, and listen to how hes saying it.

Watchwww.youtube.com

\

wow never seen this before, i am seriously blown away
sweetL 2:51 PM - 24 March, 2008
Quote:
this dude really knows wat hes talkin bout, if u don';t give kweli credit, u really don't know much bout the lyrical end of mcs...

i do give kweli props... ihe is alright with lyrics, but he isnt all that with flow.... thats the problem for me.

Quote:
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

\

wow never seen this before, i am seriously blown away

dope, aint it.

lyrics.. AND hella tight flow.
shiestO! 3:25 PM - 24 March, 2008
Quote:
Yo, from the first to the last of it, delivery is passionate
The whole and not the half of it, vocab and not the math of it

accurate assassin shit.

can't believe this thread's still bumpin.
DJBlisk 5:25 PM - 24 March, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

sorry.. i'm a fanboy.

this dude really knows wat hes talkin bout, if u don';t give kweli credit, u really don't know much bout the lyrical end of mcs... However, i will def say for the record his records have become cheesier and cheesier to me, he used to be one of my favorites, now i hardly consider myself a fan anymore. thats just me tho, as far as the serato line, yall have way too much time on ur hands if u buggin bout this, move on - its really not that serious

+1 on the cheesier stuff.
prizo 8:13 PM - 24 March, 2008
werd its really a shame because at one point he was gettin to the point that alot of folks were really start to check for him on some next shit, then he decided that his good friend kanye shouldn't be the only one poppin commercially, he killed his core fanbase in my eyes. To each his own tho, reflection eternal is still an amazing album start to finish, don't forget how dope hi tek is on the boards as well folks.
DJBlisk 8:23 PM - 24 March, 2008
Quote:
werd its really a shame because at one point he was gettin to the point that alot of folks were really start to check for him on some next shit, then he decided that his good friend kanye shouldn't be the only one poppin commercially, he killed his core fanbase in my eyes. To each his own tho, reflection eternal is still an amazing album start to finish, don't forget how dope hi tek is on the boards as well folks.

as I've been preaching all along.

He needs to stop straddling the line between underground and mainstream. Its hurting his musical direction and his crowd.
prizo 9:04 PM - 24 March, 2008
blisk - we def on the same page homey... Its funny how some underground hiphop djs do not see that, i just can't vibe with everything past Quality, more importantly i think image wise he is straight clownin. Get back to the music where u belong dude, u not thug, ur not a baller, u supposed to be an intelligent conscious thought mc... Shit this dude i used to chill with went to hs with him. Told me folks used to harrass him callin talib kweli (his middle name if yall didnt know) and he used to get all upset bout it. I think its kinda cool it eventually stuck where he rode with it, but cmon dude u really are not fooling anyone with this new "image"
Parsec 10:10 PM - 24 March, 2008
Quote:
i just can't vibe with everything past Quality

same here. dude went downhill bad.
DJ Sherm 9:50 PM - 25 March, 2008
Quote:
well thats totally reasonable, and i like how you backed up your statements to disagree with me, to really help me see how good he is.

It's all self-evident. His music is out there. You and I are arguing over an opinion.

Quote:
its especially good because it hasnt made you look like a talib fanboy. i mean, if you looked like a talib fanboy then id expect you to just blanktetly ignore any criticism of him, even going as far as to totally discredit a person who has any level of criticism for him. the main reason being that you want to have his babies.

Clearly I'm not ignoring your "criticism" of him. I'm reading it and thinking to myself how you could possibly not dig it. Worse comes to worst you could always call me a fanboy, right?

Quote:
but yeah, im glad youve put together a well-thought-out response, and not made yourself look like a talib d rider.

I feel I've responded appropriately to your opinion of him and his talent. If you want to start a flame war over it, knock yourself out. How do you think name-calling people who disagree with you makes you look?

Are you going to answer my claim about you not having listened to his albums yet? I'm still waiting to hear back about that.
sweetL 12:54 AM - 26 March, 2008
Quote:
It's all self-evident. His music is out there. You and I are arguing over an opinion.

noooooo you're wrong dude! im talking about stuff that you can quantify. i dont like him because of these reasons, you might still decide to like it but it DONT make it good flow. i LOVE jays flow on success, but it aint nothin special, im not gonna claim it is, itd be pointless cause it aint.

unless you have a single clue what im on about, you better watch that slum video and let elzhi explain it.

again. you might choose to like it, but it dont mean its good flow.

Quote:
Clearly I'm not ignoring your "criticism" of him. I'm reading it and thinking to myself how you could possibly not dig it.

apart from the reasons i gave?

Quote:
I feel I've responded appropriately to your opinion of him and his talent. If you want to start a flame war over it, knock yourself out. How do you think name-calling people who disagree with you makes you look?

how does it make me look? i gave reasons, you told me i was wrong and didnt tell me any reason why. you told me to stfu, so i called you a name. this a playground. and what.

Quote:
Are you going to answer my claim about you not having listened to his albums yet? I'm still waiting to hear back about that.

honestly thought that me being able to say what i am about talib shows some familiarity with his work, but obviously you want more proof, probably so you can say 'oh you just went and looked it up', but fine. whatever. i dont know his albums like you do, but you really like the guy, so probably listen to his albums all the time. give me some tracks to listen to, to prove me wrong. im not saying theres no way i can be wrong, i will listen to what examples you give me.

I havent listened to eardrum ill be frank, probably singularly because of past experience of giving his albums time.. im not especially fussed to. i probably should listen to it, to be able to say that 'ok, talib has got it' or 'talib hasnt got it'. ill hands up admit to being totally bored with the idea of listening to a kweli album for the following reasons...

first time i heard kweli was on soundbombing with bahamadia. he sounded ok, but bahamadia outshined him remarkably. Watchwww.youtube.com. this isnt really surprising, bahamadia is a fully accomplished mc with lyrics, and one serious adaptable and tight flow, shes just underrated. not only that, with flows like this floating about on the COMMERCIAL side of hip hop, he sounded like a underground kid in the game. Watchwww.youtube.com. THEN he thought itd be a good idea (like what was he thinking????) to do the blackstar stuff. mos def is a far better mc than him. THEN mos and kweli, got on respiration with common. Watchwww.youtube.com mos held it up a bit against common, but between mos and common they made kweli look like a chief.

reflection eternal was so nice on a beat front (i love hi tek). but about 2000, i really started to get picky about the art of mcing after hearing some funk doc freestyles, and picking apart my favourite mc's, comparing them to my favourite uk mc's. the more i listened to reflection, the more + more tired i got with kweli's style, which made me dislike it. i cant listen to it now still.

he often missed beat. often had no rhymescheme. its not COMPLICATED its not there, canibus is complicated. anyway, quality was ok but again, nothing to scream about. its OK, but come on.. you cant tell me the dude has the hottest flow going. lonely people. the worst half attempt at a double time ever. the dude cant speak clearly, and ruined what could have been a nice song. i try came out i was disgusted. wack beat, horrific flow. listened to the album WANTING to hear what everyone else hears... but expecting big things from all the hype, it didnt live up to it. it was ok, it wasnt terrible. but not like everyone says. people love the dude, thats fine. love him all you want, but be willing to criticise man, or else you ARE just being a fanboy.

im not insulting you now, but i honestly dont believe you know what you're talking about. you are talking with your heart. what you FEEL. you think im insulting your taste, im not. you like what you wanna like dude, but be reasonable... just cause you LIKE something, it DONT make it the nicest stuff out there.

i LIKE cherish. dont mean i think they are the best singers, dancers, or girl group out there, does it???? seperate head from heart. what you LIKE, to what you know is good.

miyajima's dmc set was my FAVOURITE of all the sets at the DMC's this year, cause it was just the ticket, as far as the music i like goes, but that didnt make it the tightest from a technical point of view.

iv had this conversation with people on here before, why cant people seperate quantifiable skills when it comes to being an mc? you can do it for dj's, why not mc's? mc's probably have more skills which they SHOULD be able to do than djs.

EVEN SNOOP last year decided it was time to show he can really flow tight when he feels like it.

Watchwww.youtube.com

MEANWHILE... kweli jumps on the dillagence mixtape with busta, and gets on lightworks and makes a complete hash of it. its a nightmare beat that busta and tip struggle with, but its like kweli dont even hear the same beat that tip an bus do... hes trying to do rhymescheme on it, but thats gotta be the worst time to try it.

Watchwww.youtube.com

its not even about pace. its about the scheme and the flow man! WATCH THAT SLUM VIDEO!!! ill even post up a transcript of the lyrics if you really aint gettin it!
dreamkast 3:20 AM - 26 March, 2008
that talib on lightworks isnt even that bad.

your blowing his out of timeness way out of proportion,hes dope in so many tracks.

and who said that nas comment?
sweetL 1:31 PM - 26 March, 2008
Quote:
that talib on lightworks isnt even that bad.

your blowing his out of timeness way out of proportion,hes dope in so many tracks.

and who said that nas comment?

perhaps i am being biased on lightworks. its no worse than busta's timing.
wakka 5:29 PM - 26 March, 2008
i hope you guys are finished, i still don't understand the point over arguing about something as subjective as art
sweetL 6:18 PM - 26 March, 2008
Quote:
i hope you guys are finished, i still don't understand the point over arguing about something as subjective as art

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

if that is entirely true... how is it possible to say that qbert is a more accomplished turntablist than me?
sweetL 6:37 PM - 26 March, 2008
ok. i give up.

pointless arguing about it. matter of perception and i figure id rank myself among the most pedantic people on this board.
wakka 6:41 PM - 26 March, 2008
It is the truth, how is it not? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, therefore trying change another person's perception of that beauty is futile.

I think the problem is you don't see it as much of an art as all, and see it more of a science, translating every syllable and lyric into a hit or a miss.

If you believe you're more skilled than Qbert, feel free to believe so. If you want to believe 50 Cent is the end all, be all of hip-hop, be my guest. Because they're your opinions, and I can't touch them.
D.J. STAN THE MAN 7:04 PM - 26 March, 2008
I don't Talib himself was saying fuck serato. He's saying in his lurics that there are still some dj's that don't want to switch from vinyl to serato and in a sense those dj's are saying fuck serato. Times have changed and those dj's need to step it up or get stepped on. Serato is the best. Peace
D.J. STAN THE MAN 7:05 PM - 26 March, 2008
Quote:
I don't Talib himself was saying fuck serato. He's saying in his lyrics that there are still some dj's that don't want to switch from vinyl to serato and in a sense those dj's are saying fuck serato. Times have changed and those dj's need to step it up or get stepped on. Serato is the best. Peace
sweetL 7:17 PM - 26 March, 2008
Quote:
I think the problem is you don't see it as much of an art as all, and see it more of a science, translating every syllable and lyric into a hit or a miss.

thats true to an extent.

i do see it as an artform. but im totally obsessed with the science of it.
DJ Sherm 5:02 PM - 27 March, 2008
Quote:

I just sent SweetL a PM. Squash all beef.
bangout 9:05 PM - 30 March, 2008
TALIB is a close friend of mine and he's a dumb ass for saying some shit like that. Just because he's not confortable with the GOD given Serato technology. It's doesn't mean that anyone has the right to disrespect us like that even thou it's a freedom of speech. I would personally knock him the FUCK out for hurting my feelings. I'm been using serato for a number of years now and there is no other that can compare regardless of it pass bugs and glitches. It remains as one of the most precious tool in my life. We all know that to develope and carry out a signiture presentation of ourselves with Serato requires a unique technological bond within a RANE relationship. It's up to the individual to determine, apply, and adapt his or her art form as to express the scienctifics of mixology. There fore i'm proud to annouce that serato is made for the real hard knock's. Regarding the guide lines of bpm and loop in's. AS either as a turntablist or dual table top it's up to you to display your true colors. Serato increases accuracy, it's the first one of its kind to have the ultimate organization when it comes to crates, giving the availablity to adapt yourself to any enviorment, it's reliable more than any record and cd dj and the list goes on. Appreciated it and look back and see where we are now. I've used all other dj software from final scratch down to pcdj and there is no comparison. For those hypocrites out there Stop complaining just because it's wasn't working out for you. We here the Serato community Love it and hardly gives a fat fuck. Technological improvements is a most and everything takes time. So for the developers there congrats and i need to get my hands on the NS7. Hopefully it's integrated with the scratch amp or has it built in like TTM 57SL. I'm not interested in the ITCH because i'm a hands on mobile/studio/radio DJ and i don't want nothing that makes me feel lazy. I've been in the game for 20 plus years and i know what i want. Do you ? Hey when are you guys gonna implement a sampler? RESPECT !!!
DJ Sniffles 9:26 PM - 30 March, 2008
???? lets us know when u knock out ur buddy
sweetL 10:43 PM - 30 March, 2008
Quote:
TALIB is a close friend of mine and he's a dumb ass for saying some shit like that.

its a good job that hes a close friend of yours then, so you know that he didnt actually mean that.
wakka 12:18 AM - 31 March, 2008
it all makes sense now, so the ring that kweli wears isn't ice, it's some kind of BFF ring
freszuuu 6:17 PM - 30 August, 2010
yeah fuck serato thats right u all fake mutha fuckas djs
Banana_Peter 6:51 PM - 30 August, 2010
Quote:

+1
Banana_Peter 6:52 PM - 30 August, 2010
lollll
The Real DJ Pauly D 6:53 PM - 30 August, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

+1

+1 i hate fake people
DJ Bill Blast 7:15 PM - 30 August, 2010
"If you got Serato,
Bravo.
But if you can't cut vinyl records, you won't be able to follow" - KRS-1
DouggyFresh 7:31 PM - 30 August, 2010
Quote:
this is old news. It's not a diss, and its Talib is just having fun, because thats what hip hop is...its fuckin fun!

Plus traktor doesnt work in that rhyme.. :P

That's because country stars shout out Traktor, like Kenny Chesney says...

"She thinks my Traktors sexy"

lol
PVK01 7:47 PM - 30 August, 2010
You mad? lol
JBLAZE02 9:23 PM - 30 August, 2010
I think Baby Bash's use of Serato in a song was worse than this.
sixxx 9:26 PM - 30 August, 2010
Quote:
I think Baby Bash's use of Serato in a song was worse than this.

Exactly what I was thinking. lol
Laz219 10:38 PM - 30 August, 2010
Why is this thread even back?

If you listen to it properly he isn't even hating on Serato.
DJ Alkemy 5:00 PM - 31 August, 2010
I prefer to take heed of an emcee who I actually have respected for a long long time.

2:10 seconds in---

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Bushido 9:18 PM - 6 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

+1 i hate fake people

Look who's Using Serato
thatsmajor.info
thebuttonfreak 12:20 AM - 7 September, 2010
ouch
Ryanman 10:22 PM - 21 September, 2013
As soon as I get virtual dj mapped right I'm outta this Serato shit. PS...Talib is probably one of the coldest real MC's out there. I respect the nigga mind. FUCK SERATO
the_black_one 4:52 AM - 22 September, 2013
^^^^ this guy .... GTFO

NM NH
bicedidit 9:42 PM - 22 September, 2013
This is the dumbest thread I've ever read. If you think talib is stating his opinion, which is 'fuck serato', your an idiot.
DJRemixEnt 11:02 PM - 22 September, 2013
this thread was started in 2008... im pretty sure he has moved on ppl...smdh