DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

NYC Radio Stations Need To Play House Music

DJ Danny F 6:39 AM - 17 February, 2008
I think NYC Radio Stations need a change, Hot 97 and 105.1 should start bringing in House DJs To do live mixes on Fridays and Saturdays late night like back in the days. What do you think?
DPR250R 8:38 AM - 17 February, 2008
there is a new sation in the 87's or 88's... posed to be more "dance" oriented...
deejayfatcat 1:16 PM - 17 February, 2008
Glen Friscia, Charlie Cassanova, Hosh Gurelli, (yes the same Hosh) David Morales, even Flex used to play some nice house on friday and saturday nights. Their club remotes were toight. I spent many a night at the Palladium checking that out.

I listened to that new station on 87.9 last night. It sounds like its on the right path.

I really hated when Hot 97 went full urban mostly because I didnt really like KTU. The culture clash of hip hop and urban oriented house is pretty dope if you ask me.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:49 PM - 17 February, 2008
Sorry for the tread jack, but any of you NYC House Heads know anything about a NYC DJ called Mr. V?

He's coming to Detroit on the same night that we are bringing in Jesse Saunders out of Chicago (creator of the first House Record - Chosen Few DJ's). I had to scramble and redirect the promotion and theme of our gig to try and maintain a lock on the small House Head crowd here in the Detroit.

I hate when that happens. It's like bringing Qbert and Jazzy Jeff to the forum at the same time, which thread do you hang in? LOL.
djaction 5:49 PM - 17 February, 2008
Quote:
I think NYC Radio Stations need a change, Hot 97 and 105.1 should start bringing in House DJs To do live mixes on Fridays and Saturdays late night like back in the days. What do you think?

Not that I expect to hear Hip Hop on hot97 or 105.1 anyway.. but why the hell would they abandon their core audience of Hip Pop listeners for House music?
David Househead 6:28 PM - 17 February, 2008
Jus Dance (Quentin Harris Re-production) - Mr. V
dope track.

every major city should have house on the radio... it should be law. :P
iRockCrowds 12:13 AM - 18 February, 2008
mainstream radio listeners dont care about house music.
DJLRock 12:14 AM - 18 February, 2008
The one in Miami failed and shut down a few years ago.
lvmez 2:09 AM - 18 February, 2008
KTU needs to start it up again. but they quality house dj's. they are the on;y ones with dance music on there rotation.
Dj Nyce 4:32 PM - 4 March, 2008
never happening; hot 97 and 105.1 focus is urban music. so no house (especially not on friday and saturday nights).

in the early 90's house was acceptable (flex played house) to play on a urban station. but today in the world of yooouuu, it's not happening.
koolionyc 4:48 PM - 4 March, 2008
Quote:
there is a new sation in the 87's or 88's... posed to be more "dance" oriented...

87.7 The Pulse
pulse87.com

I'm no longer a House/Dance music "fanatic" like I used to be, but have been listening frequently to 87.7 since they switched formats.

They actually posted on Craigslist back in November 2007. looking for On-Air personalities and a PD. Some people (DJs) posted back saying the ad was false.

They would feel stupid if they only knew the ad was real.
koolionyc 4:53 PM - 4 March, 2008
Quote:
Sorry for the tread jack, but any of you NYC House Heads know anything about a NYC DJ called Mr. V?

He is definitely known in the House Music circle here. I haven't met him personally, but I do receive occasional emails from him, and a few of his remixes / production.
DjWoody 7:53 PM - 4 March, 2008
When they tried to bring house music back to LA on 103.1 they failed. Why? IMO, PD's here in LA keep bringing back the same old DJ's, the same old people that used to do the old shows, and they play the same house music that now is 10-15 years old. If you're in LA, you know what I'm talking about. There's a lot of good house/electronic music out there but LA programmers fail to play it. Look at other major cities around the world, they all have house stations. Heck, even MEXICO CITY has a house station. www.beat1009.com.mx

The closest thing you'll find to house music here in LA is either afterhours, or on Super Estrella. Yup!!! Super Estrella has always supported house music. They play it a lot during their mixshows. When I got asked to work for them, they wanted my mixes to be all high energy house remixes of Spanish Top 40 songs. That station has potential for a good EDM show, but their DJ's suck!!! Sorry to say it.

Other shows here in LA are the same old tired Power Tools, Community Services, Chocolate City, and a few on some college stations.

I always say that if someone was to bring Radio 538 to LA, it would HUGE!!!
frost-9 8:52 PM - 4 March, 2008
What, you're tired of Funk Master Flex and his patented 'gun-shot' mixes? lol
frost-9 8:55 PM - 4 March, 2008
oh, and a side note.. I really really love good house music... In 2004, I was in heaven... such a great year. Visit beatport.com. House music is probably in it's biggest slump since it's inception. I really don't wanna hear the garbage that's getting played right now.. hopefully the WMC will bring us some new stuff to listen to... they certainly left us hanging last year.. (and no.. another remix of Dark Beat is not what the scene needs)
DPR250R 11:40 PM - 4 March, 2008
Quote:
and no.. another remix of Dark Beat is not what the scene needs

Did we need the original?

I mean... I am a fan of Falcon but that song is annoying.
frost-9 11:51 PM - 4 March, 2008
^^ good point
Dj Nyce 11:08 PM - 5 March, 2008
<-- not tired of flex and his gun shots or bombs lol.
DJMark 2:57 AM - 6 March, 2008
Quote:
House music is probably in it's biggest slump since it's inception.

You're not kidding. The music itself seems to be in a real rut, and club-goers aren't having any of it. A few years ago it seemed like there was maybe a little bit of a house comeback (and there was quite a bit of good stuff to play) but I'm bored to death with nearly everything that's coming out now. And I'm not going to be one of those house DJ's that basically plays an oldies night, either.
JD 8:44 PM - 6 March, 2008
I dont think its in a slump at all... the sound has changed and its gaining ground... more house is being in hip hop clubs these days... Look at Power 96 in Miami - a hip hop station that has David Guetta - Love is Gone as their most played song.
DPR250R 8:50 PM - 6 March, 2008
Quote:
David Guetta - Love is Gone as their most played song.

Gonna try not to be harsh but the "Guetta" sound is part of the problem IMO...

His music is catchy to people just getting in to the scene but I would be surprised if anyone that has been around for a while is into him.

The "House is in a Slump" comment??? I don't really go out enough anymore to make a call on that. There is still good house out there IMO... you just can't be fooled by the "time-stamped" stuff that is getting a lot of play.
DJMark 9:31 PM - 6 March, 2008
I don't consider David Guetta to be house at all. "House is a feeling"...and that guy most definitely does *not* have it!
JD 10:52 PM - 6 March, 2008
well - ya.. its not "House" .. but it falls under the dance umbrella.. i was trying to say Dance music is getting more play than before... whatever sub genre it is, its good that its getting play so other forms of it can be introduced as well....
Bigfourty4 9:31 PM - 13 March, 2008
KTU is house
Hot97 and Power 105 are strictly urban. the closed you get to house is Rhianna-dont stop the music

haven't checked out pulse 87...so i need to do that.

To be honest....house music is all the same. you can buy any one of these
www.google.com
DjWoody 8:07 PM - 14 March, 2008
Oh boy... You just opened a can of worms. Not all house music is the same. That's all I'm gonna say! hehehe
Bigfourty4 8:54 PM - 14 March, 2008
I totally agree...but that is from the DJ's standpoint.

To the average radio listener...they don't know the difference...nor do they probably care. That is why best buy/circuit city only cary these compilation mixes for dance/house music....because nobody in their right mind would expect 15 good tracks from one artist.
Thundercat 9:13 PM - 14 March, 2008
I was typing something, but eh. Whatever...
sopranosupasta 9:21 PM - 14 March, 2008
house will be mainstream again shortly, just wait. it all comes back around.
koolionyc 10:17 PM - 14 March, 2008
Quote:

haven't checked out pulse 87...so i need to do that.

To be honest....house music is all the same. you can buy any one of these
www.google.com

87.7 The Pulse
www.pulse87.com

Oh yea.., all House music is not the same.
If you are a professional DJ it "might" be in your best interest - at the very least - to be able to differentiate the many styles of House..and I don't even eff with House much anymore, but can tell the differences.
DPR250R 1:59 AM - 15 March, 2008
44 knows was up.... he just was stating what we have to deal with in the local...