Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

vj-pro.com VS. vjstreet.com for classic disco and funk videos

topranking 7:20 PM - 28 June, 2012
hey fellas, new to VJing... looking for good quality video (and of course audio) classic disco (even the cheese of disco) and funk videos

so any of you purchased 70's disco & funk videos from vj-pro.com or vjstreet.com

what's your experience?
tomatoslice 7:39 PM - 28 June, 2012
never used vjstreet's vids, have no idea about the quality.
vj-pro is good quality.

looking at both vj-pro definitely has more of a collection.
howcome 8:20 PM - 28 June, 2012
Everything I have got from VJPRO has been good quality. Just recently found Atomic Dog video there.
djpuma_gemini 8:21 PM - 28 June, 2012
cannot comment on the current vids of vjstreet, I just know the vids used to look like ass and were very shitty.
vj-pro much better, but not all the content there yet, they're working on it.
topranking 8:46 PM - 28 June, 2012
thanks y'all

VJ-pro looks like a legit service, i don't like that you can't preview the videos which you can on vjstreet.

now gotta figure out the credit situation. definitely cheaper on vjstreet
djpuma_gemini 8:53 PM - 28 June, 2012
you can preview vids on vj-pro. the stuff that's on disc you can't.
marx 9:56 PM - 28 June, 2012
Quote:
hey fellas, new to VJing... looking for good quality video (and of course audio) classic disco (even the cheese of disco) and funk videos

Why would you want to use "classic disco and funk videos" that were sourced from Promo Only with chyrons / titles cropped out? Reconversions of another deinterlaced mpeg2 source doesn't look to pretty.
djpuma_gemini 10:04 PM - 28 June, 2012
^thanks for breaking it down.
I didn't want to go there, but that's pretty much the case.
topranking 6:03 AM - 29 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Why would you want to use "classic disco and funk videos" that were sourced from Promo Only with chyrons / titles cropped out? Reconversions of another deinterlaced mpeg2 source doesn't look to pretty.

This event i'm VJing at is going for that oldschool gritty blown out vibe (RETRO 2012 JPG LOOK), i'll take what i can get.
DJMark 8:54 AM - 29 June, 2012
I looked in on the VJ Street site recently. I got some stuff from them a couple years ago when they had a different name, but quit out of extreme frustration with lack of quality control AND what was then a highly buggy on-and-off-again website... was never able to get close to the number of things I'd paid for since the site was screwed up so much. Too bad because they did have a lot of hard-to-find older stuff.

Randomly looking at a few previews...still hearing obviously bad audio on many tracks (especially the older ones), something that was also a major issue before. Mary J. Blige "Be Without You" (Moto Blanco Mix)...video source obviously from a Promo Only mix, and interlacing clearly visible. Random "vamping for time" edits on the intro that did not go with the music. No way would I play that anywhere.

Not sure what their claims of legality could possibly mean... "VJ Street ®: License # ID27-21883**"? Looks a little suspect LOL.
popnwave 6:23 PM - 30 June, 2012
Not worth it.. you are better off paying for a few credits on VJ-PRO.com and not sweating the end result.
topranking 6:56 PM - 30 June, 2012
yup VJ-pro.com is the one i went with!, thanks for the input y'all
checbox102 7:49 AM - 23 February, 2013
Hey folks, Vevo is a good source for Hi quality video. I usually down load on my PC using the YouTube downloader which also converts the file to the settings you choose. I use iMovie on my Mac to edit up videos & lay iTunes audio over it if need be or lay good video over the audio. Newer Macs iMovie gives you the ability to eq/edit the audio track. You can publish your video right to your library & be the 1st with a good copy. On a lighter note Funkflex Franchise Record Pool has good video and has been good to Me.

Vj C Class
tomatoslice 8:26 AM - 23 February, 2013
ooo kaay
DJMark 10:43 AM - 23 February, 2013
Quote:
C Class

Got that part right.
phatbob 2:21 PM - 23 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
C Class

Got that part right.

BOOM
DJMisterE 9:12 AM - 28 February, 2013
no words can describe what I just read
Joshua Carl 5:48 PM - 28 February, 2013
Im gonna go get the papers, get the papers, get the papers
popnwave 6:32 PM - 28 February, 2013
I picture MisterE shouting at us across a canyon.
Millz 7:24 PM - 28 February, 2013
rolling papers Josh? :D I can roll 3 with the quickness
Millz 7:24 PM - 28 February, 2013
cigarettes, that is ;)
DJRemixEnt 1:53 AM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Hey folks, Vevo is a good source for Hi quality video. I usually down load on my PC using the YouTube downloader which also converts the file to the settings you choose. I use iMovie on my Mac to edit up videos & lay iTunes audio over it if need be or lay good video over the audio. Newer Macs iMovie gives you the ability to eq/edit the audio track. You can publish your video right to your library & be the 1st with a good copy. On a lighter note Funkflex Franchise Record Pool has good video and has been good to Me.

Vj C Class

smdh
Maskrider 1:12 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:

Vj C Class

WoW......
dj silent assassin 2:12 AM - 13 December, 2015
No Comments ........... WOW!!!!!!!!!!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:36 AM - 14 December, 2015
OK - getting you guys back on track to bashing VJStreet after that Vevo comment, here's my comment.

Quality wise - smash/vjpro is the best and probably the most trouble free (or Xtendamix from what I hear if you are in Europe or Canada).

That said, IN MY OPINION VJStreet does offer a HUGE selection compared to some of the others out there, they seem to add stuff DAILY (vs once or twice a week) and they do offer some alternate or hard to get edits. Most are even tagless I think.

One of my favorite cuts "Good Life" by Inner City offers a VJStreet video edit with the Mayday remix which the one I usually play even at audio only gigs - Watchwww.youtube.com On the other end of the spectrum, they offer a mix of Ice Cube's No Vaseline which to my knowledge never had an official. They took some movie footage from Straight Out Of Compton and made a video. Better than playing just the audio with a visual or not at all - no?

You'd do well using their credit based system to fill some holes in your library or drop some alternate edits that others may not have. Will you have to run a few thru MPEG Streamclip or attach better audio? Maybe. I don't have the time or patience to acquire sources and make my own video edits so grabbing a few tracks from VJStreet here and there serves ME well.

[Disclaimer] I am also prepping for a big old school throwback Xmas gig and I am replacing some of my VJstreet tunes with some Smash Xtendz and Singles here and there.

Just like audio pools, there is NO one single Pool that serves everybody. If Smash or VJPro is like your Girlfriend or Wife, VJStreet makes a damn good side chick....

: )

<kidding>
Code:E 7:56 PM - 14 December, 2015
Quote:
Just like audio pools, there is NO one single Pool that serves everybody. If Smash or VJPro is like your Girlfriend or Wife, VJStreet makes a damn good side chick....

So if Smash is your wife, And VJ street is a side Chick, Than what's Xtendamix? I'm thinking your the Wife of your other family that no body knows about.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 8:04 PM - 14 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

So if Smash is your wife, And VJ street is a side Chick, Than what's Xtendamix? I'm thinking your the Wife of your other family that no body knows about.

See the way I look at is, you're a single man playing the field and Smash/VJStreet/VJPro/Xtendamix are just different chicks you call up when you need to get your rocks off. They all can help you get off, but they each have a different way of doing it, and sometimes you can use them and have some group action...

Did I go too far with my comparison? Probably

LOL
DJ Dynamite - NJ 8:05 PM - 14 December, 2015
P.S. These hoes ain't loyal
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:19 PM - 14 December, 2015
Quote:
P.S. These hoes ain't loyal

ROTFL - at that and Xtenda being the 2nd family on the other side of town that you can't talk about
Xtendamix 8:21 PM - 14 December, 2015
Soon we will be your only family. The rest of them might end up in jail!

Can't wait for the new year to start!
Code:E 8:28 PM - 14 December, 2015
Quote:
Soon we will be your only family. The rest of them might end up in jail!

I was just thinking that.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:30 PM - 14 December, 2015
Quote:
Soon we will be your only family. T

Uh oh..., interesting

One of the things about Smash and Vjstreet are the Snipz and Quick hitters/Mixshow edits

If you want to move Xtenda into the "main chick" postion keep that in mind. It's like wifey only giving BJs on birthdays and holidays - lol

; )
Xtendamix 9:14 PM - 14 December, 2015
I'm gonna be honest, the price tag is well over $100,000 per year to hold a licence to distribute music videos in the U.S. Plus a percentage when you gross over that, plus there's additional conditions that must be met.

Anyone not paying that will be told to shut down and it will be enforced this time. Universal Music is only aware of 2 other companies legit companies, other than us who aren't operating yet

Do the Math. You can have your side chicks, but I'm pretty sure those relationships will end in a divorce :)
popnwave 11:35 PM - 14 December, 2015
Quote:
I'm gonna be honest, the price tag is well over $100,000 per year to hold a licence to distribute music videos in the U.S. Plus a percentage when you gross over that, plus there's additional conditions that must be met.

Anyone not paying that will be told to shut down and it will be enforced this time. Universal Music is only aware of 2 other companies legit companies, other than us who aren't operating yet

Do the Math. You can have your side chicks, but I'm pretty sure those relationships will end in a divorce :)

There was a reckoning in the mid/early 00's when a lot of us VJ's who used to get stuff by the boatload from labels got told we had to pay for that privilege. I can't recall if it was Universal but it wouldn't surprise me if they are doing something similar again to the pools. Of course I was never redistributing their material it was for promotional use in the club only, but it was nice having chyron free masters on DV.

It's all about content control these days, so they will continue to put the squeeze on whoever they see has some $$ or they will yank it away.
Xtendamix 12:44 AM - 15 December, 2015
Pay or don't play. The days of free promo are over. Everything is monetized assets.
That's the current state record industry.

I've always been a DJ first, not a pool director. I understand both sides but I'm on the side of the DJ, your guys sides. I fight for the DJs cause I know what it's like...but this is the new record industry.

The pools that you know today may not be in a few months.

I'm open to discussing any of your comments or suggestions with the labels and I'm very open about what's going on.

I will leave you guys with that so that you can get back to the original topic of the thread.
VJ Street 3:21 AM - 15 December, 2015
Quote:
OK - getting you guys back on track to bashing VJStreet after that Vevo comment, here's my comment.

Quality wise - smash/vjpro is the best and probably the most trouble free (or Xtendamix from what I hear if you are in Europe or Canada).

That said, IN MY OPINION VJStreet does offer a HUGE selection compared to some of the others out there, they seem to add stuff DAILY (vs once or twice a week) and they do offer some alternate or hard to get edits. Most are even tagless I think.

One of my favorite cuts "Good Life" by Inner City offers a VJStreet video edit with the Mayday remix which the one I usually play even at audio only gigs - Watchwww.youtube.com On the other end of the spectrum, they offer a mix of Ice Cube's No Vaseline which to my knowledge never had an official. They took some movie footage from Straight Out Of Compton and made a video. Better than playing just the audio with a visual or not at all - no?

You'd do well using their credit based system to fill some holes in your library or drop some alternate edits that others may not have. Will you have to run a few thru MPEG Streamclip or attach better audio? Maybe. I don't have the time or patience to acquire sources and make my own video edits so grabbing a few tracks from VJStreet here and there serves ME well.

[Disclaimer] I am also prepping for a big old school throwback Xmas gig and I am replacing some of my VJstreet tunes with some Smash Xtendz and Singles here and there.

: )

<kidding>

Thanks for the endorsements! Much appreciated.

There's been a lot of bashing on us cause we haven't had a voice to speak up against all the negativity. That's probably cause we're busy making edits and not spending our time on forums.

We've heard everything from us being an illegal website to cropping out chryons of other companies and so forth.

Let me set the record straight. Yes, our edits were not up to standards in our early days. We've spent countless hours in correcting our edits and working with the labels to get everything to you in a timely manner as per the labels request.

As for those who claim that we operate illegally, you are more than welcomed to reach out to us at web@vjstreet.com we will gladly provide our licenses.
Xtendamix 1:42 PM - 15 December, 2015
Your license is not my issue. However, I'm happy to forward it to Global Digital Business at Universal, Warner and Sony and let them decide.

I'm just curious how you have a world wide license though. Man, I'd love to get that. You need a separate one for each territory and the blog on your homepage about promotional use doesn't apply. Not saying you don't have a license, just that a promo one doesn't cut it anymore.

If you aren't reporting weekly, paying the advances and royalties and getting direct servicing, then they will just tell you to stop. I'm not saying what you had up until this point isn't working for you, but all licenses are a 1 or 2 year deal and ALL of them are being reviewed. Upon review, they will just tell you to stop operating. So if the way you are operating is working for you and helps you sleep at night, then all the power to you. It won't hold up in court and if it ever did get that far, they would just tell you up until now it's been fine, but moving forward to stop and C&D your content.

Sorry man, don't shoot the messenger, just giving you a heads up!
Xtendamix 9:35 PM - 16 December, 2015
Just checked with Universal for the U.S., AVLA/Connect For Canada and the VPL for Europe. Neither of them have ever heard of you. If you had a legitimate deal in either of those 3 territories, you'd be on their radar as you'd be reporting to them. They would have to execute the deal. But now, you've placed yourself on their radar.

Not sure what kind of World Wide licence you have, but since you offered, I'd love to see it. Email it to me info@xtendamix.com. Maybe I can get your deal, if it exists.

To be honest, I wasn't going after you, but since you came here and decided to blow smoke to everyone, I'll call you out on it. Be like the other bootlegs and don't say anything. Don't claim something you're not cause when you do get called out on it, you look like a fool.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 3:52 PM - 17 December, 2015
Go argue somewhere else. None of us on here care. We just want or damn videos and want them to be of good quality. Stop wasting time with your pissing contest and focus on getting your members quality content. Thank you and have a nice day
popnwave 4:31 PM - 17 December, 2015
Quote:
Go argue somewhere else. None of us on here care. We just want or damn videos and want them to be of good quality. Stop wasting time with your pissing contest and focus on getting your members quality content. Thank you and have a nice day

Nice non contribution.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 3:21 PM - 19 December, 2015
It was a contribution... to get the thread on track before it turns into something else. The OP was asking which was better for disco and funk videos but it's starting to turn into a war of words between the content providers. My point is to tell them all, don't talk about it be about it! So if anything was a non-contribution it was your quote of my comment with your comment added. Have a nice day
popnwave 11:25 PM - 20 December, 2015
Quote:
It was a contribution... to get the thread on track before it turns into something else. The OP was asking which was better for disco and funk videos but it's starting to turn into a war of words between the content providers. My point is to tell them all, don't talk about it be about it! So if anything was a non-contribution it was your quote of my comment with your comment added. Have a nice day

Zzzzzz. I'm having a great day, go troll elsewhere.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 12:47 AM - 21 December, 2015
says the tool...lol
DJ Dynamite - NJ 12:47 AM - 21 December, 2015
troll.... damn auto correct
Millz 12:44 PM - 28 December, 2015
VJ Street used to steal our edits. It was proven. They have no license. They are frauds. The only legit video pools are VJ-Pro, Xtenda and Promo Only. Now to the end user, as some of you have noted, give 2 shits less about whos legit and whos not, you just want the videos. Cool. Just understand that these 3 companies dish out more money for licensing and royalties than you could ever possibly imagine, all for the love of video DJing. That, in itself, should show you the dedication and passion for our trade.
Xtendamix 4:40 PM - 28 December, 2015
Correct and those are the only ones that the labels are aware of...and the rest are coming down in 2016 so get ready.

VJ Street, still waiting to see your license. You offered...
DJ.S 10:43 PM - 28 December, 2015
Quote:
VJ Street used to steal our edits. It was proven. They have no license. They are frauds. The only legit video pools are VJ-Pro, Xtenda and Promo Only. Now to the end user, as some of you have noted, give 2 shits less about whos legit and whos not, you just want the videos. Cool. Just understand that these 3 companies dish out more money for licensing and royalties than you could ever possibly imagine, all for the love of video DJing. That, in itself, should show you the dedication and passion for our trade.

well said bro!
djpuma_gemini 4:11 AM - 29 December, 2015
Quote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.
DJMark 7:27 AM - 29 December, 2015
I caught them using at least one Promo Only video a few years back...there was absolutely no mistaking the kinds of "extension" stuff that PO was doing in the early 2000's (that was not part of the original video).

Wonder if they've figured out the correct resolution for 4:3 videos yet? That was just one of many quality issues I had with them. Rare videos are great, unless they're totally botched up (and basically stealing the work of others).
popnwave 4:03 PM - 29 December, 2015
Quote:
I caught them using at least one Promo Only video a few years back...there was absolutely no mistaking the kinds of "extension" stuff that PO was doing in the early 2000's (that was not part of the original video).

Wonder if they've figured out the correct resolution for 4:3 videos yet? That was just one of many quality issues I had with them. Rare videos are great, unless they're totally botched up (and basically stealing the work of others).

Hehe those AE generated segments on the intro/outro of the remix videos always made me laugh. They look pretty dated now in comparison, guess that's why keeping it to cuts and minimal effects work best.
DJMark 8:02 PM - 29 December, 2015
Quote:
Hehe those AE generated segments on the intro/outro of the remix videos always made me laugh. They look pretty dated now in comparison, guess that's why keeping it to cuts and minimal effects work best.

They definitely look dated now, but maybe they were kind of smart doing things that way since it's easy to see if others are using their work. If PO had just done "cuts and minimal effects" it would be harder to tell.
djpuma_gemini 9:31 PM - 29 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I have a "Ne-Yo - Because of you" edit that I made that has those AE segments on them, just cut out the PO portion and have it for personal use.
Probably made it 4 years ago.
DJMark 12:41 AM - 30 December, 2015
Quote:
I have a "Ne-Yo - Because of you" edit that I made that has those AE segments on them, just cut out the PO portion and have it for personal use.
Probably made it 4 years ago.

I'm sure many of us have done similar for personal use.

A much different matter than selling them, especially under vague claims of legality.
Kev0329 3:36 PM - 17 April, 2016
Xtenda mix I appreciate you guys repping one of my remixes and doing a vid to it. But how are you claiming to be legal when you are putting up remixes that are not official. Or getting permission from the remixer? Robin Thicke - Feel Good (Kevin Allen House remix)
Xtendamix 3:49 PM - 17 April, 2016
Are we gonna start this now? You just came out and promoted Select Mix, which I endorse as well. I used to work for Hot Tracks/Street tracks back in the day. We carried your mixes until Scott asked me to take them down because you guys were starting a video service. Since we have the relationship, we kindly did so and also asked if he wanted help. I'm a full supporter of Select Mix and you guys have great mixes. Glad to see them finally on video.

Now, we pay the labels. So Universal and Robin Thicke would have got paid for the mix we did. Is Select Mix paying the labels for the video edits they sold? Let's not go down this road.
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here.
Kev0329 6:30 PM - 17 April, 2016
I'm not trying to accomplish anything I just saw u stating your legal 100 percent but you have a bootleg remix That is my remix on the site. Wondering how that is legal just wondering my friend. That is all I don't care if u are or not. I'm not sure how the legal aspect works beside buying a license and percent going to labels. I would have never known but a friend of mine asked if I was doing work for xtenda and I said no. Then he showed me a screen shot. I was like that's cool at least they gave me credit lol. The. I came across this and wanted some input.